Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,835 members, 7,810,213 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:03 AM

My Volvo S60 Stopped Working And Wont Start - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My Volvo S60 Stopped Working And Wont Start (5693 Views)

Volvo Promises Deathproof Cars By 2020 Using These Features / See Pics Of Innoson Motors Workers On Duty Amidst Rumour The Company Has Stopped / Hard Starting When Engine Is Cold And Wont Rev (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Volvo S60 Stopped Working And Wont Start by GAZZUZZ(m): 5:57pm On May 03, 2015
There's nothing wrong with volvo, but there's every thing wrong with replacing timing belts at 6k miles. PunCh, guardian,vangard e.t.c trucks cover more than 6k miles every month! When you buy timing belts at 4k is where you have a problem. Good belts of high quality start from 8k to as much as 15k, and are good to go for over 60k miles (4cylinder engines).

1 Like

Re: My Volvo S60 Stopped Working And Wont Start by sooperrescue(m): 7:40pm On May 03, 2015
If the engine depends on it, It will be good. Have you noticed the dismal failure of Toyota Siennas being used for transport. They are disappearing off the radar one by one. Reason number 1 is the gear box packing up. And it is recommended that for efficient transmission shifts, it is better to change the transmission fluid every 15000 miles or 1 year whichever comes first. But these transporters are not aware of this and as such, the gear fails on the road. Even Edegbe Motors that started using GMC Jeeps for inter state are always having gear failures on the highways. Why is it common? Because 15000 miles is just 2 weeks journey, at most 3 weeks and these folks will not dare change the fluid and what do you get? failed transmissions. Go to these newspaper houses, even though they cannot afford the Volvo for their operations, have a lot of vehicles that are unworthy to be on the road. After the first timing belt change at 100k, the subsequent belt change will be at every 6k or a new engine for which you are not even sure of the mileage and the state of the belt.

1 Like

Re: My Volvo S60 Stopped Working And Wont Start by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:58pm On May 03, 2015
sooperrescue:
If the engine depends on it, It will be good. Have you noticed the dismal failure of Toyota Siennas being used for transport. They are disappearing off the radar one by one. Reason number 1 is the gear box packing up. And it is recommended that for efficient transmission shifts, it is better to change the transmission fluid every 15000 miles or 1 year whichever comes first. But these transporters are not aware of this and as such, the gear fails on the road. Even Edegbe Motors that started using GMC Jeeps for inter state are always having gear failures on the highways. Why is it common? Because 15000 miles is just 2 weeks journey, at most 3 weeks and these folks will not dare change the fluid and what do you get? failed transmissions. Go to these newspaper houses, even though they cannot afford the Volvo for their operations, have a lot of vehicles that are unworthy to be on the road. After the first timing belt change at 100k, the subsequent belt change will be at every 6k or a new engine for which you are not even sure of the mileage and the state of the belt.

Bross I don de taya for you. Transsmission oil change can hit 60-80k miles if using original oil.

I will keep quiet on this issue I give up.

2 Likes

Re: My Volvo S60 Stopped Working And Wont Start by Readonee35L(m): 8:54pm On May 03, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

Bross I don de taya for you. Transsmission oil change can hit 60-80k miles if using original oil.

I will keep quiet on this issue I give up.

Lwkmd...
Make i just keep quiet they observe
Re: My Volvo S60 Stopped Working And Wont Start by sooperrescue(m): 8:57pm On May 03, 2015
Hahaha. Which vehicle are you talking about for the gear change of 80k miles?. I know you run a thread on gears but I know what am talking about. Make the guy wey get Volvo go change him timing belt so that we nor go derail him matter. I will comment on your thread soon after reading it
Re: My Volvo S60 Stopped Working And Wont Start by oktawian(m): 9:00pm On May 03, 2015
ok so what is the model and year of your volvo ?
Re: My Volvo S60 Stopped Working And Wont Start by VolvoS60(m): 11:43pm On May 03, 2015
sooperrescue:
No laughing matter o. Once a Volvo achIeve The 100k mleage, from that mark, it is every 6k To change the timing belt. It is not every. Mechanic that can handle Volvo cars. I know how many people have invited Volvo from Ghana because Doyin Motors Refused to continue. For those with issues on Volvo Caro, remember that Volvo also requires Premium unleaded fuel and as you all know the consequence of using low octane fuel. The belt is sold for 4k and combining it with using Synthetic oil makes it a perfect combination of 6k oil change and timing belt replacement every six months

^^^^
This sounds outrageous. undecided Changing the timing belt every 6,000 km??!

Does anyone have the service manual for the model referred to?

You are right about the fuel requirements (89 RON or so) on the S60 but this timing belt story is hard to believe. There are some motorists that cover 6,000 km in less than a month. Changing the timing belt every month would bankrupt them.
Re: My Volvo S60 Stopped Working And Wont Start by sooperrescue(m): 12:28am On May 04, 2015
Why not google It or go to Volvo world. How will changing the timing belt every 6k miles bankrupt a motorist? Have you seen where Volvo S60 is used for a taxi? With all the zillion suggestions about Changing battery etc, don't you think the OP. Will be glad to end the misery by changing his timing belt twice in a year? For him to come to Nairaland means that he need real counsel and not the roadside bag of trials.
Re: My Volvo S60 Stopped Working And Wont Start by 9icetoo(m): 12:59pm On May 04, 2015
Nothing we no go hear for nairaland. Belt every 6k miles? Transmission fluid every 15k miles? Na wao. Na rope them dey use as belt and groundnut oil as transmission oil?

1 Like

Re: My Volvo S60 Stopped Working And Wont Start by sooperrescue(m): 3:05pm On May 04, 2015
Nairaland is vast, there is jokes and romance section. Cartalk is not moi moi

1 Like

Re: My Volvo S60 Stopped Working And Wont Start by koluray: 4:00pm On May 04, 2015
sooperrescue:
Bor bE so o. Na kazeem nor know him job. There is a Volvo mechanic near me that I give advice to regurlarly about changing the timing belts and since then, no volvo car is sleeping endlessly in his workshop. A 2002 Toks S60 is sold for 1m but the cars of the same age like honda, Toyota, Nissan does not have half of what Volvo. Equipped their cars with. An older 760 gle is far better than a Camry 02 and an EOD. Na mechanic be Volvo problem.

the problem shows up and then the solution, experience i bet is the best teacher, problem has been fixed for a while now, and i still insist, its the best car i have driven so far,, i prefer any volvo to the most recent nissan , toyota or honda

1 Like

Re: My Volvo S60 Stopped Working And Wont Start by senola1: 11:02am On May 06, 2015
Hello All,

i think i would need your help/advice here.

I have a close family member who has the same 2002 volvo S60 2.5L but has been apparently experiencing Engine Overheating lately, mechanics have asked for a whole lot of parts to be changed all to no avail, yet the engine still overheats. Mechanic advised for the whole engine to be replaced and i ask why? angry sad Wondering why the entire engine would be replaced just because of engine overheat.

This is a beautiful swedish vehicle that cannot not just be abandoned like that. sad sad sad

Kindly help please.
Re: My Volvo S60 Stopped Working And Wont Start by 9icetoo(m): 6:02pm On May 06, 2015
sooperrescue:
You are in the wrong section
Re: My Volvo S60 Stopped Working And Wont Start by Nobody: 7:18am On May 07, 2015
senola1:
Hello All,

I have a close family member who has the same 2002 volvo S60 2.5L but has been apparently experiencing Engine Overheating lately, mechanics have asked for a whole lot of parts to be changed all to no avail, yet the engine still overheats. Mechanic advised for the whole engine to be replaced and i ask why? angry sad Wondering why the entire engine would be replaced just because of engine overheat.

This is a beautiful swedish vehicle that cannot not just be abandoned like that. sad sad sad

Kindly help please.

Abeg kick that kazeem away. Most cars have different bleeding methods for tackling air bubbles in cooling systems. Read or watch youtube videos on how to bleed a Volvo s60 2.5L cooling system. It will help immensely.
BMW requires engine to be running and you open the bleed valve to tackle air locks in the radiator, toyota requires engine yo be turned off.

1 Like

Re: My Volvo S60 Stopped Working And Wont Start by Nobody: 7:19am On May 07, 2015
sooperrescue:

Nairaland is vast, there is jokes and romance section, car talk needs you still.
Re: My Volvo S60 Stopped Working And Wont Start by IdaraCHODB(m): 10:24pm On Aug 26, 2015
sooperrescue:

Overloading the vehicle means increased strain on the transmission. Greater heat is produced and nothing does a transmission hate than overheat.

Overheating a transmission means failure is just a matter of time.

A transmission can overheat when the rest of the engine does not which means that the indicator on the dash will not announce that there is a problem

Not to talk of increasing ATF cooling capacity
Re: My Volvo S60 Stopped Working And Wont Start by dannydevito(m): 7:09am On Aug 27, 2015
senola1:
Hello All,
Kindly help please.
Did u anytime add water into d radiator pot................was advised by a reliable source not to add water at any time just d prepared radiator coolant solution........

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Toyota Carina 1998 Emit Black Smoke Thirstier Than A Vampire / DIY Replacement Of VTEC Solenoid Spool Valve Filter (03-07 Accord) / Now On Sale Innoson Salon Cars.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.