Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,730 members, 7,809,800 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:11 PM

All u need to know abt speaking with TONGUES - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / All u need to know abt speaking with TONGUES (4853 Views)

5 Benefits Of Praying In Tongues / The Truth About Speaking In Tongues And Holy Ghost Baptism... / Can The Devil Understand Us When We Speak In Tongues? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

All u need to know abt speaking with TONGUES by Nobody: 10:12pm On Apr 16, 2015
The utterance gifts are part of the 9 gifts of spirit Paul wrote abt to the church at corinth..the gifts of the spirit can be classified into 3,
1)Utterance gifts which includes (Tongues,Interpretation of tongues,Prophesy)
2)Revelation Gifts which includes (word of knowledge,word of wisdom,discerning of spirits)
3)Power gifts which includes (Healing,working of miracles,Faith)..
Every believer can function in all the gifts of the spirit...
In this thread,we are going to be looking at utterance gifts....
Let us look at the bible scriptures concerning Utterance,starting from the prophecies in the old testament.
Joel 2:28-"And it shall come to pass afterward,that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh;and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy,and your old men shall dream dreams,your young men shall see visions:"..this prophecy was by the prophet Joel.he spoke concerning what was to happen on the Day Of Pentecost and thereafter...
Acts 2:1-5: When the Holy spirit came Upon them,they SPOKE with other tongues...
Acts 10:44-46:when Peter preached at the house of Cornelius,the Holy Spirit came upon them and they spoke with tongues.
Acts 19:1-6:When Paul laid his hands on them,the Holy Ghost came Upon them and they spoke with other tongues and they prophesied.......
And we can also see that by the laying of hands of the Apostles the Holy Ghost came upon people..
Acts 8:14-17,Acts 19:1-6..
Lets us look at tongues..
1cor 14:2-4:"For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaks not unto men,but unto God;for no man understandeth him...He that speaks in an unknown tongue edifies(i.e builds up himself spiritually) himself"...
1cor14:26-"when we(christians) come 2geda,everyone has a psalm(spiritual song),doctrine(instruction),tongue,revelation,interpretation.."....
Every christian(believer) can speak with tongues..
Mark 16:16-17: "and these signs shall follow them that believe;In my name shall they cast out devils,they shall SPEAK WITH NEW TONGUES:"
Tongues is the door to accessing the supernatural.Tongues is Key to every christian life.Praying in tongues is a better way to pray cuz it is the spirit that prays.1cor14:14,...
Why should We pray with tongues?:
Eph 6:18-"praying always with all prayer and supplication in the SPIRIT"..
and do we pray in the spirit,.,,,
Icor 14:14-"For if I pray in tongues,my SPIRIT prayeth."..
Speaking with tongues is sign that one is filled with Holy Ghost
That will be all for now..i will give more updates later..SELAH..GOD BLESS YOU ALL,,

1 Like 1 Share

Re: All u need to know abt speaking with TONGUES by PORP(f): 10:31pm On Apr 16, 2015
God bless you mr/mrs poster
Re: All u need to know abt speaking with TONGUES by soye3(f): 11:14pm On Apr 16, 2015
Acts 2:6-11. did u also read op that each one in that room HEARD what the disciples said and even mentioned the tongues they were speaking in specifically? Now, to show that everyone there understood what they were saying, they made 2 things clearer when they recognised them as being GALILEANS but were speaking what everyone UNDERSTOOD in his/ her own language because they stated what they heard as being ' the magnificent things of God. This simply means that the tongues being reffered to here is simply LANGUAGES and not things only ONE person CLAIMS to understand.

1cor 14:5-13. If you can read further down you will notice that this same place you quoted clearly states that whoever speaks in 'a tongue' should interprete. verse 9 says you are speaking to the air if no one understands what you are saying. verse 10says there are many kinds of speech or tongues in the world and yet NO ONE is without meaning. how many of those who speak in tongues today interprete or give meaning to what they are saying. they rather make their followers believe that they are interacting with God.

in verse 18, he made it clear that he spoke in more tongues than the others. were these qorda abstract words. he said further that its supposed to be for the building up of the members of the congregation who have not become believers. so the words would be clear to them. please, jow many people do you build up when people DO NOT even know what you are doing?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: All u need to know abt speaking with TONGUES by Nobody: 11:26pm On Apr 16, 2015
soye3:
Acts 2:6-11. did u also read op that each one in that room HEARD what the disciples said and even mentioned the tongues they were speaking in specifically? Now, to show that everyone there understood what they were saying, they made 2 things clearer when they recognised them as being GALILEANS but were speaking what everyone UNDERSTOOD in his/ her own language because they stated what they heard as being ' the magnificent things of God. This simply means that the tongues being reffered to here is simply LANGUAGES and not things only ONE person CLAIMS to understand.

1cor 14:5-13. If you can read further down you will notice that this same place you quoted clearly states that whoever speaks in 'a tongue' should interprete. verse 9 says you are speaking to the air if no one understands what you are saying. verse 10says there are many kinds of speech or tongues in the world and yet NO ONE is without meaning. how many of those who speak in tongues today interprete or give meaning to what they are saying. they rather make their followers believe that they are interacting with God.

in verse 18, he made it clear that he spoke in more tongues than the others. were these qorda abstract words. he said further that its supposed to be for the building up of the members of the congregation who have not become believers. so the words would be clear to them. please, jow many people do you build up when people DO NOT even know what you are doing?

You dont pay attention to details.
Mark16:16-17...
1cor14:2..he that speaketh in tongue speaks nt unto men bt unto God..(is this in ur bible?)
1cor14:4-"he that speaks in tongue edifies himself,he that prophesies edifies the church(is this in ur bible?)"
1cor14:26.."when we are gathered together,every one has a psalm,doctrine,tongue,revelation,intepretation"
1cor14:39-"wherefore brethen,covet to prophesy and FORBID NOT TO SPEAK WITH TONGUES".
SELAH

1 Like 1 Share

Re: All u need to know abt speaking with TONGUES by soye3(f): 11:55pm On Apr 16, 2015
well i do not think we are quarelling. i am stating facts, after having paid attention to YOUR details. 1Cor14:5 you must interprete what you are saying to the congregation if you really understand yourself or else :15 says do it in your mind. is this in your bible. if you insist on shouting out the abstract, then interprete.

1Cor14:27,28 says there should be an interpreter or else u should keep silent and speak to urself and to God. so if you think you have the spirit of speaking in tongues which is clearly languages and d congregation camnot be upbuilt by it because you do not have an interpreter and cannot forge out an interpretation, then speak to urself and let God be the ULTIMATE JUDGE.

what is the REAL PURPOSE of speaking in tongues/ languages. do not forget that the bible says if everyone in the congregation speaks in tongues that its useless, except it is to upbuild those who are not believers. how many unbelievers understand ur language wen u speak it?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: All u need to know abt speaking with TONGUES by Nobody: 12:42am On Apr 17, 2015
soye3:
well i do not think we are quarelling. i am stating facts, after having paid attention to YOUR details. 1Cor14:5 you must interprete what you are saying to the congregation if you really understand yourself or else :15 says do it in your mind. is this in your bible. if you insist on shouting out the abstract, then interprete.

1Cor14:27,28 says there should be an interpreter or else u should keep silent and speak to urself and to God. so if you think you have the spirit of speaking in tongues which is clearly languages and d congregation camnot be upbuilt by it because you do not have an interpreter and cannot forge out an interpretation, then speak to urself and let God be the ULTIMATE JUDGE.

what is the REAL PURPOSE of speaking in tongues/ languages. do not forget that the bible says if everyone in the congregation speaks in tongues that its useless, except it is to upbuild those who are not believers. how many unbelievers understand ur language wen u speak it?
u still dont understand the 1cor14..lemme do a breakdown for U.
From 1cor1-4..Paul laid a foundation/premise abt tongues speaking and interpretation..from verse 5-40 is abt conduct in the church..if u read 1cor14:40."let everything be done decently and in order"...
1cor14:5-means when u speak with tongues in the church i.e lets say u are addressing the church and you are speaking with tongues,that would not edify the church,it is only when u interprete that the church will receive edification....
:15 says do it in your mind.
where does 1cor14vs15 says do it in your mind..1Cor14:15-"what is it then?I will pray with the spirit,and i will pray with the understanding(the understanding in this context means interpretation)"
1cor14:27-28 never said there must be an interpreter,it says "IF there be no interpreter"...notice the word "IF"

what is the REAL PURPOSE of speaking in tongues/ languages. do not forget that the bible says if everyone in the congregation speaks in tongues that its useless, except it is to upbuild those who are not believers
The bible never said that if the whole church speaks in tongues its useless.
1cor14:22--Tongues are for a SIGN(not edification)to them that believe-not(unbelievers)..tongues are signs for unbelievers.
1cor14:23-24..i want u to read that personally..and pay attention to details every single word matters....
1cor 12:7-"the manifestation of the spirit is given to every man"..this simply means every man can FUNCTION IN/MANIFEST all the gifts of the spirit...
Every christian can function in all the gifts of the spirit..
Anybody (christians) that can speak with tongues and cannot interprete yet needs a sound teaching abt tongues and interpretation,he/shde needs to be taught...
SELAH
Re: All u need to know abt speaking with TONGUES by Nobody: 12:46am On Apr 17, 2015
I would have preferred if this was a 1 on 1 conversation..I cannot totally express all that i want to by typing..
If there is still anything unclear..just kindly ask..
Let me know the things You disagree with so that we can look at it together..its is platform for learning..Sorry i sounded rude the other time@SOYE3
Re: All u need to know abt speaking with TONGUES by soye3(f): 1:20am On Apr 17, 2015
did you say teaching? who taught the disciples to speak in tongues? if your answer is no one, why do people need to LEARN to speak in tongues?

what you typed, is that all you have in your bible as 1Cor14:15? why not finish the verse. and beautifully too, verse 16 says how will the ordinary person understand you and even say amen when they don't understand.

14:5 you now agree with me that speaking in tongues should be to the benefit of the congregation right? so how will the congregation benefit when they do not understand what you are saying? That means, if you speak in tongues to the hearing of the congregation, you have to interprete for an understanding to take place.

27,28 says someone must interprete and 28 ends it all by saying if there is no interpreter, he must KEEP SILENT and speak to himself and to GOD. what do u understand by this?

:23 says if all the congregation speak in tongues and an unbeliever walks in , will that make sense to him? off course not. this means that he needs to understand what the blabbing is about by an interpretation.

12:7?? seriously? that everyone can manifest what? did you read to find out the truth or to back up your argument? cam you just read :8-10 and then 28,29? you'll understand better. have you ever wondered why some are good and maths and others are better in english?

2 Likes

Re: All u need to know abt speaking with TONGUES by soye3(f): 1:24am On Apr 17, 2015
sure no offense. it is the bible we are talking about and the truths in it. one on one wouldve been fine, but not possible obviously. so i guess here is perfect so others can contribute. that is why you started it here in the first place ryt? no of dense dear.
the time is just far spent, we can talk more later if you wish.

sportsmaster:

I would have preferred if this was a 1 on 1 conversation..I cannot totally express all that i want to by typing..
If there is still anything unclear..just kindly ask..
Let me know the things You disagree with so that we can look at it together..its is platform for learning..Sorry i sounded rude the other time@SOYE3
Re: All u need to know abt speaking with TONGUES by Joagbaje(m): 2:21am On Apr 17, 2015
sportsmaster:

u still dont understand the 1cor14..lemme do a breakdown for U.
From 1cor1-4..Paul laid a foundation/premise abt tongues speaking and interpretation..from verse 5-40 is abt conduct in the church..if u read 1cor14:40."let everything be done decently and in order"...
1cor14:5-means when u speak with tongues in the church i.e lets say u are addressing the church and you are speaking with tongues,that would not edify the church,it is only when u interprete that the church will receive edification....

where does 1cor14vs15 says do it in your mind..1Cor14:15-"what is it then?I will pray with the spirit,and i will pray with the understanding(the understanding in this context means interpretation)"
1cor14:27-28 never said there must be an interpreter,it says "IF there be no interpreter"...notice the word "IF"
The bible never said that if the whole church speaks in tongues its useless.
1cor14:22--Tongues are for a SIGN(not edification)to them that believe-not(unbelievers)..tongues are signs for unbelievers.
1cor14:23-24..i want u to read that personally..and pay attention to details every single word matters....
1cor 12:7-"the manifestation of the spirit is given to every man"..this simply means every man can FUNCTION IN/MANIFEST all the gifts of the spirit...
Every christian can function in all the gifts of the spirit..
Anybody (christians) that can speak with tongues and cannot interprete yet needs a sound teaching abt tongues and interpretation,he/shde needs to be taught...
SELAH

Beautiful response. There's difference between praying in tongues to God to edify oneself and "speaking in tongues for the hearing of brethren especially in prophecy . One is talking to God , the other is talking to people . That's the foundation that many people are missing
Re: All u need to know abt speaking with TONGUES by vooks: 5:20am On Apr 17, 2015
And it is rather clear that whether praying/speaking, if the others don't understand it, you should keep quiet

1 Corinthians 14:16 New King James Version (NKJV)
16 Otherwise, if you bless with the spirit, how will he who occupies the place of the uninformed say “Amen” at your giving of thanks, since he does not understand what you say?

1 Corinthians 14:1 6Amplified Bible (AMP)
16 Otherwise, if you bless and render thanks with [your] spirit [[a]thoroughly aroused by the Holy Spirit], how can anyone in the position of an outsider or he who is not gifted with [interpreting of unknown] tongues, say the Amen to your thanksgiving, since he does not know what you are saying?

This is the MOST ignored bit by the Pentecostals and they move heavens defending their ignorance instead of submitting to the counsel of the Spirit
Joagbaje:

Beautiful response. There's difference between praying in tongues to God to edify oneself and "speaking in tongues for the hearing of brethren especially in prophecy . One is talking to God , the other is talking to people . That's the foundation that many people are missing
Re: All u need to know abt speaking with TONGUES by soye3(f): 9:56am On Apr 17, 2015
its just so crystal clear in the scriptures. there should be no speaking in tongues if NO ONE ELSE understands what you are saying because the words from the mouth of the person doing that are just empty and meaningless and the man doing that KNOWS it.

The scriptures say when they were filled with the spirit, they spoke in tongues . Languages understood by everyone there and that resulted in a very serious decision- they were moved to be baptised. if they didnt understand, how could they have made such a weighty decision? Besides, the disciples didnt need anyone to TEACH THEM how to speak in tongues or how to interprete. That should make each and every christian think - What moves the speaking in tongues in people today? do they REALLY know the meaning of what they are saying or are just short of words? why does speaking in tongues need to be learnt?

1 Like

Re: All u need to know abt speaking with TONGUES by vooks: 10:08am On Apr 17, 2015
soye3:
its just so crystal clear in the scriptures. there should be no speaking in tongues if NO ONE ELSE understands what you are saying because the words from the mouth of the person doing that are just empty and meaningless and the man doing that KNOWS it.
True

The scriptures say when they were filled with the spirit, they spoke in tongues . Languages understood by everyone there and that resulted in a very serious decision- they were moved to be baptised. if they didnt understand, how could they have made such a weighty decision?
False. The tongues just attracted them seeing the Galileans spoke in so many diverse languages praising God,and then Peter seized the moment to preach the gospel. It is the preaching of Peter that pricked them not tongues. Read Adts 2 again oo
Besides, the disciples didnt need anyone to TEACH THEM how to speak in tongues or how to interprete.
Nobody teaches or should teach you how to speak in tongues. What you are taught is the NECESSITY and EXISTENCE of this wonderful gift. Ignorance of the gift may just deny you the benefits of this gift. If you need verses just ask, but am sure you know them

That should make each and every christian think - What moves the speaking in tongues in people today?
To know what you are saying means you can BOTH speak and interpret. That Paul urged Corinthians to desire both speaking and interpreting means the two distinct gifts don't necessarily accompany each other; there were many back in the apostolic times who spoke and couldn't understand what they said because they had not this gift of interpretation. So don't quarrel your contemporaries if they can't understand what they saying

do they REALLY know the meaning of what they are saying or are just short of words?
Only Holy Spirit can give you interpretation, or a native speaker of your tongue should any be around. On Pentecost, devout Jews could understand what the disciples said, not because of any supernatural gift of interpretation but because the languages of the tongues matched their dialects

why does speaking in tongues need to be learnt?
You need to learn about the gift so Holy Spirit can release it. Nobody should teach you tongues....comprende?
Re: All u need to know abt speaking with TONGUES by soye3(f): 3:07pm On Apr 17, 2015
my dear bro. acts 2:6-11 clear states that the reason for gathering was the loud sound of pouring of the Holy Spirit. their surprise was when they heard Galileans speaking in native tongues/languages like parthians, medes, elamites, the list goes on and on. verse 11 beautifully states that they heard them speaking about the magnificent things of God IN THEIR OWN LANGUAGE. peter then used the opportunity to tell dem to dia face what they had done to Jesus and how the speakers were not drunk but d event was a fulfillment of God's promise thru prophet Joel. so yes, they heard about the magnificent things of God IN THEIR LANGUAGE.

I also do not fight with anyone who claims to speak in tongues but cannot interprete, but there has to be an interpretation of what is being said, not a pre arranged interpreter.

1 Like

Re: All u need to know abt speaking with TONGUES by Joagbaje(m): 3:43pm On Apr 17, 2015
vooks:
And it is rather clear that whether praying/speaking, if the others don't understand it, you should keep quiet
1 Corinthians 14:16 New King James Version (NKJV)
16 Otherwise, if you bless with the spirit, how will he who occupies the place of the uninformed say “Amen” at your giving of thanks, since he does not understand what you say?
1 Corinthians 14:1 6Amplified Bible (AMP)
16 Otherwise, if you bless and render thanks with [your] spirit [[a]thoroughly aroused by the Holy Spirit], how can anyone in the position of an outsider or he who is not gifted with [interpreting of unknown] tongues, say the Amen to your thanksgiving, since he does not know what you are saying?

This is the MOST ignored bit by the Pentecostals and they move heavens defending their ignorance instead of submitting to the counsel of the Spirit

That is only applicable when you're speaking in tongues for others to hear for . For example you're praying for me or on my behalf I need to hear what you're saying . It's a prayer of agreement . It's a corporate thing. But when you're talking to God as an individual , there's no need for interpretation. You're edifying yourself . Each person can talk to God alone. So the rule is: if you want to pray for us or pray on our behalf ,carry us in understating . Or pray to God alone without us.

1 Corinthians 14:28
But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.

So he is allowed to edify himself and talk to God in tongues without interpretation. Hope you get the point . When we all pray in tongues . We are praying individually . But If one person must pray on our behalf he must speak what we can agree with

1 Like

Re: All u need to know abt speaking with TONGUES by vooks: 4:15pm On Apr 17, 2015
1 Corinthians 14:27 King James Version (KJV)
27 If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret.

Pastor,
Please note the immediate preceding verse. It talks of SPEAKING which you insist is different from PRAYING in tongues. But in verse 28 you have just quoted, the tongue speaker minus interpreter is asked to zip it and to speak to himself and God. Now,speaking to God would mean praying.

This establishes a few things;
1. SPEAKING and PRAYING in tongues is an artificial distinction that's not warranted by the scriptures as they are used interchangeably here
2. Whatever (speaking/praying) has no interpretation should be kept private as it is of no benefit to nobody in the congregation.

Later Paul says;
1 Cor 14:23 (KJV) If therefore the whole church be come together into one place, and all speak with tongues, and there come in those that are unlearned, or unbelievers, will they not say that ye are mad?

It don't appear logical that Paul approves public praying in tongues without interpretation yet censures speaking in tongues publicly minus interpretation. Here is why; an unbeliever/unlearned in a congregation of uninterpreted tongues, praying/speaking would think you are mad. They would not make no distinction. They would think you are mad because whatever you are vocalizing is gibberish. Unless you mean, they would be excited that you are praying in unintelligible language but put off if you were praying instead of speaking.

Joagbaje:

That is only applicable when you're speaking in tongues for others to hear for . For example you're praying for me or on my behalf I need to hear what you're saying . It's a prayer of agreement . It's a corporate thing. But when you're talking to God as an individual , there's no need for interpretation. You're edifying yourself . Each person can talk to God alone. So the rule is: if you want to pray for us or pray on our behalf ,carry us in understating . Or pray to God alone without us.

1 Corinthians 14:28
But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.

So he is allowed to edify himself and talk to God in tongues without interpretation. Hope you get the point . When we all pray in tongues . We are praying individually . But If one person must pray on our behalf he must speak what we can agree with
Re: All u need to know abt speaking with TONGUES by Joagbaje(m): 6:26pm On Apr 17, 2015
vooks:
1 Corinthians 14:27 King James Version (KJV)
27 If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret.

Pastor,
Please note the immediate preceding verse. It talks of SPEAKING which you insist is different from PRAYING in tongues. But in verse 28 you have just quoted, the tongue speaker minus interpreter is asked to zip it and to speak to himself and God. Now,speaking to God would mean praying.

This establishes a few things;
1. SPEAKING and PRAYING in tongues is an artificial distinction that's not warranted by the scriptures as they are used interchangeably here
2. Whatever (speaking/praying) has no interpretation should be kept private as it is of no benefit to nobody in the congregation.

Later Paul says;
1 Cor 14:23 (KJV) If therefore the whole church be come together into one place, and all speak with tongues, and there come in those that are unlearned, or unbelievers, will they not say that ye are mad?

It don't appear logical that Paul approves public praying in tongues without interpretation yet censures speaking in tongues publicly minus interpretation. Here is why; an unbeliever/unlearned in a congregation of uninterpreted tongues, praying/speaking would think you are mad. They would not make no distinction. They would think you are mad because whatever you are vocalizing is gibberish. Unless you mean, they would be excited that you are praying in unintelligible language but put off if you were praying instead of speaking.

I've explained this severally on this forum. There are different used of "tongues " it's either in prayer or giving a message . The part you quoted is not about individual prayer but prophesying in tongues . If you give messages to a sinner in tongue, thats madness ! But when you give him message fom God in his understanding he is edified.

1 Corinthians 14:24-25 (KJV Strong's)
But if all prophesy, and there come in one that believeth not, or one unlearned, he is convinced of all, he is judged of all: And thus are the secrets of his heart made manifest; and so falling down on his face he will worship God, and report that God is in you of a truth.

Note he didn't say "praying in tongues" but speaking

1 Like

Re: All u need to know abt speaking with TONGUES by vooks: 7:03pm On Apr 17, 2015
Call it prayer,worship,message,word.....Paul would have no place for the unintelligible during public worship. It's really that simple.

Reason is, those who can't comprehend it don't benefit from it whether they or God is being addressed.

1Corinthians 14:13-15 (KJV)
Wherefore let him that speaketh in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpret. 14 For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful. 15 What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.

Note how Paul switches from SPEAK to PRAY
in V13 he makes a case for interpretation among those who SPEAK in tongues
In V14, his explanation for the necessity of interpretation is his mind is dormant when he PRAYS without interpretation

Let me paraphrase v13-15 for you;
'Joagbaje, if you SPEAK in tongues, pray for interpretation because when you PRAY in tongues, your spirit prays but your mind can't understand. So? I want you to pray with BOTH your spirit and your mind; sing with your spirit, sing with your mind!'
Joagbaje:

I've explained this severally on this forum. There are different used of "tongues " it's either in prayer or giving a message . The part you quoted is not about individual prayer but prophesying in tongues . If you give messages to a sinner in tongue, thats madness ! But when you give him message fom God in his understanding he is edified.

1 Corinthians 14:24-25 (KJV Strong's)
But if all prophesy, and there come in one that believeth not, or one unlearned, he is convinced of all, he is judged of all: And thus are the secrets of his heart made manifest; and so falling down on his face he will worship God, and report that God is in you of a truth.

Note he didn't say "praying in tongues" but speaking
Re: All u need to know abt speaking with TONGUES by Nobody: 10:14pm On Apr 17, 2015
i think the problem with SOYE3 is that she finds it hard to believe that a christian can function in all gifts of all the spirit...by simply looking at 1cor12..we can do a breakdown..SOYE3 pls pay attention to every detail..it matters a lot..one word can change the entire meaning of a bible verse which can in turn affect the interpretation of the succesive verses..i will lay emphasis on some words..to fully get the interpretation of 1cor12.You need the original greek manuscripts and a greek dictionary...
1cor12:4-6--there are diversities of gifts,differences in operations,diversities of operations but it is the same spirit that worketh all in all..
This simply means the same spirit is responsible for everything...
Now lets move to 1cor12:7-the manifestation(simply means all the things of the spirit) is given to every man for the common good..
Lets move to 1cor12vs8- notice that the word "TO ONE And to another" is used several times in this text..
When u check word used inthe greek manuscript and check the meaning in the greek dictionary,U will see that the word "to-one and to-another" simply means "the-same"..Paul is not foolish..remember he said that in vs7 that the manifestation of the spirit is given to every man. Then why will he now say that one gift is given to one person?.does it make sense?.....
I will like you to replace the word "to-one" with the word "the-same"..u will now see that paul used verse 8-10 to explain verse 7...paul listed all the manifestation of the spirit (in context with spiritual gifts) in vs 8-10.......
lets get to verse 11..
1cor12:11-"but all these worketh that one and the selfsame spirit,dividing to every man severally as HE WILL"...
The phrase "HE WILL" here refers to the believer not the spirit..We believers can chose to function or not in the gifts of the spirit...in 1cor14:1,Paul admonished us to desire spiritual gifts..
Lets do a simple analysis,.."if the spirit is going to divide the gifts to us,then why do we need to desire spiritual gifts,why dont we just wait till the spirit divides it to us"...(I want u to think abt it personally)....so what paul really meant is that we should desire to fuction in all the Gifts of the spirit..
If this not clear enough...i want to lokk through the book of ACTS..u will see that almost all the disciples and apostles demonstrated more than 1 Gift of the spirit..e.g Apostle Peter for example..he demonstrated the utterance gifts(i.e he spoke with tongues and prophesied)..he demonstrated revelation gifts(in the case of annanias and saphira) and he demonstrated power gifts(he healed the lame,He rose the dead)..Apostle paul to did the same thing..and if is still not enough...i(Myself) personally have functioned in all the utterance gifts(tongues+interpretition+prophesy) and i have functioned in only the work of knowledge gifts among the revelation gifts..and i am still building/growing. And i strongly desire to function in the others as i mature in CHRIST..
SELAH
Re: All u need to know abt speaking with TONGUES by soye3(f): 11:02pm On Apr 17, 2015
the truth, staring us right there in the face and we keep turning its interpretation to suit us? no need really. some things in the bible are just so crystal but no, we ignore and continue headlong. that to me is not humility to the inspired word of God and not constructive.
I sincerely believe this issue has been thoroughly thrashed, if not before, then now, once and for all.
Re: All u need to know abt speaking with TONGUES by Nobody: 11:03pm On Apr 17, 2015
let me show u pratical examples in the book of Acts u will see that the apostles demonstrated at least all the gifts of the spirit...
APOSTLE PETER:
ACTS2: peter spoke with tongues
acts 3:4-7 Peter demonstrated healing Gift
acts 5:1-3:Peter demonstrated the word of knowledge gift
acts 9:peter healed the sick..he rose the dead too
DEACON PHILIP
Acts8:1-8-he performed miracles,healed the lame and palsies,cast out demons....
The list endless
Re: All u need to know abt speaking with TONGUES by Nobody: 11:06pm On Apr 17, 2015
soye3:
the truth, staring us right there in the face and we keep turning its interpretation to suit us? no need really. some things in the bible are just so crystal but no, we ignore and continue headlong. that to me is not humility to the inspired word of God and not constructive.
I sincerely believe this issue has been thoroughly thrashed, if not before, then now, once and for all.
Re: All u need to know abt speaking with TONGUES by Nobody: 11:07pm On Apr 17, 2015
soye3:
if you strongly stand on the fact that 1cor12:8-10 means that one person can only function with one gift..then i would like u explain the case of the apostles in the book of Acts. tongue
soye3:

if you strongly stand on the fact that 1cor12:8-10 means that one person can only function with one gift..then i would like u explain the case of the apostles in the book of Acts on how the demonstrated divers gifts of the spirit.
Re: All u need to know abt speaking with TONGUES by soye3(f): 11:10pm On Apr 17, 2015
Lest I forget, CURSED be the day i decide to remove and replace meanings of the inspired utterances.

ENJOY the circles because that's what this is. Dancing in Circles, saying the same things and changing them all over.
NO USE REALLY.
Re: All u need to know abt speaking with TONGUES by Nobody: 11:16pm On Apr 17, 2015
lemme address something u Got totally off point@SOYE3..
Acts 2:5-12...
The pentecost is a Jewish custome whereby all the Jew scattered abroad would meet together in one place..if U read abt Isreal history u will see that as of that time..the jews were scattered abroad..but on the day of pentecost..they were gathered in the same place..when they all spoke with tongues..surely there must have been an interpretation for them to have understood every man in thier own dialect.. because Paul wrote in 1cor14:2-"he who speaks in tongues speaks not unto men but to God,FOR NO MAN UNDERSTANDS HIM,"...
So if there was no interpretation of tongues on the day of pentecost,there is no way anyone could have understood all that they were saying..
SELAH
Re: All u need to know abt speaking with TONGUES by Nobody: 11:22pm On Apr 17, 2015
soye3:
Lest I forget, CURSED be the day i decide to remove and replace meanings of the inspired utterances.

ENJOY the circles because that's what this is. Dancing in Circles, saying the same things and changing them all over.
NO USE REALLY.
Lol..Do you know that the bible was not written in ENGLISH..the old testament written in HEBREW and the new testament written in GREEK..
Why do u think there are several translations despite the fact they Got it from the same GREEK source?..
Some translations are much more precise than the others..
No translation is 100 percent accurate.
Each one has flaws..that is why i have the original GREEK manuscripts and a GREEK dictionary and i also use E-SWORD as backup..
Re: All u need to know abt speaking with TONGUES by Joagbaje(m): 4:11am On Apr 18, 2015
Final note .
There's difference between the gift of diversity of tongues and praying in tongues . One is for people hearing the other is between you and God . Not every christian has the gift of diversity of tongues but every christian ought to be able to pray in tongues

Speaking in tongues is used in different ways . In preaching in prophecy and in prayer to God . Speaking in tongues is used generally or interchangeably but if we study in context it's easy to know what aspect is being addressed in a passage

2 Likes

Re: All u need to know abt speaking with TONGUES by Gombs(m): 6:21am On Apr 18, 2015
sportsmaster:

You dont pay attention to details.
Mark16:16-17...
1cor14:2..he that speaketh in tongue speaks nt unto men bt unto God..(is this in ur bible?)
1cor14:4-"he that speaks in tongue edifies himself,he that prophesies edifies the church(is this in ur bible?)"
1cor14:26.."when we are gathered together,every one has a psalm,doctrine,tongue,revelation,intepretation"
1cor14:39-"wherefore brethen,covet to prophesy and FORBID NOT TO SPEAK WITH TONGUES".
SELAH

WinsomeX, Shedemidemi, pastorkun, Trustman... Come and take notes o

Nice one buddy!

1 Like

Re: All u need to know abt speaking with TONGUES by vooks: 6:33am On Apr 18, 2015
Differences notwithstanding, Paul's message is crystal clear; the unintelligible (tongue,diversity,prophecy,speaking,worship.....) has no place in public worship.
Why are you running away from this,is it because you ever so flagrantly flout it?

Joagbaje:
Final note .
There's difference between the gift of diversity of tongues and praying in tongues . One is for people hearing the other is between you and God . Not every christian has the gift of diversity of tongues but every christian ought to be able to pray in tongues

Speaking in tongues is used in different ways . In preaching in prophecy and in prayer to God . Speaking in tongues is used generally or interchangeably but if we study in context it's easy to know what aspect is being addressed in a passage
Re: All u need to know abt speaking with TONGUES by WinsomeX: 6:47am On Apr 18, 2015
I am with Soye3. She only has given the correct verdict of scripture on this much disputed doctrine of the bible.

1 Like

Re: All u need to know abt speaking with TONGUES by vooks: 6:55am On Apr 18, 2015
You are so wrong
Supposing you receive the gift of tongues and you start praying in Chinese, Mandarin. A Chinese next to you would understand you perfectly not because they have a supernatural gift of interpretation but because you are praying in their language.

Interpretation of tongues is necessary only when NOBODY in the congregation understands whatever is being said. This is quite possible seeing we have over 3500 know human languages and may be a 1000 or more that have gone extinct. If you spoke in the language of angels, something Paul alludes to its possibility,then no man under the earth would understand you. Here, you would need the gift of interpretation.

On Pentecost, the devout diasporas Jews understood the tongues not supernaturally but because the gift flowed in their languages.

It is important to understand that TONGUES mean LANGUAGES. The gift simply enables you to utter words in a language you have never learnt. So technically, an Englishman can't receive the gift of tongues where he speaks in English. Your mind does not understand because you have never learnt the language.

sportsmaster:
lemme address something u Got totally off point@SOYE3..
Acts 2:5-12...
The pentecost is a Jewish custome whereby all the Jew scattered abroad would meet together in one place..if U read abt Isreal history u will see that as of that time..the jews were scattered abroad..but on the day of pentecost..they were gathered in the same place..when they all spoke with tongues..surely there must have been an interpretation for them to have understood every man in thier own dialect.. because Paul wrote in 1cor14:2-"he who speaks in tongues speaks not unto men but to God,FOR NO MAN UNDERSTANDS HIM,"...
So if there was no interpretation of tongues on the day of pentecost,there is no way anyone could have understood all that they were saying..
SELAH
Re: All u need to know abt speaking with TONGUES by WinsomeX: 8:00am On Apr 18, 2015
vooks:
You are so wrong
Supposing you receive the gift of tongues and you start praying in Chinese, Mandarin. A Chinese next to you would understand you perfectly not because they have a supernatural gift of interpretation but because you are praying in their language.

Interpretation of tongues is necessary only when NOBODY in the congregation understands whatever is being said. This is quite possible seeing we have over 3500 know human languages and may be a 1000 or more that have gone extinct. If you spoke in the language of angels, something Paul alludes to its possibility,then no man under the earth would understand you. Here, you would need the gift of interpretation.

On Pentecost, the devout diasporas Jews understood the tongues not supernaturally but because the gift flowed in their languages.

It is important to understand that TONGUES mean LANGUAGES. The gift simply enables you to utter words in a language you have never learnt. So technically, an Englishman can't receive the gift of tongues where he speaks in English. Your mind does not understand because you have never learnt the language.

I'm with vooks here.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Light House Of Wisdom Movement Against Poverty / Link To Download Free Gospel Messages / The Purpose Of Ministry Is Redemption Not Fame!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 162
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.