Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,157 members, 7,818,503 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:29 PM

. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / . (1526 Views)

Is A Federal Minister Superior To A State Governor Constitutionally? / What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? / What a Senator Earns In Nigeria - Do Or Die Affair N 29 479 749 Per Year (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

. by Nobody: 4:31pm On Apr 17, 2015
Re: . by imbless: 4:36pm On Apr 17, 2015
rolleyes)__((
Re: . by jascon1(m): 5:06pm On Apr 17, 2015
If u ask me, Na who I go ask?

1 Like

Re: . by abbsal(m): 5:23pm On Apr 17, 2015
I guess a Federal minister..cos as a minister,u head a ministry in all d 36states of d federation,while a senator represents a/some constituency. But a senator is elected by votes while ministers are not....make I tell d truth d thing confuse me oo..cos president fit fire minister but can't try it with senator...from another angle na senator
Re: . by ki02020(m): 5:32pm On Apr 17, 2015
I think being a senator is more high profile than a minister,my opinion though!....that why u have most of these ex-governors still contesting senatorial seats
Re: . by Frankiss44(m): 7:35pm On Apr 17, 2015
Who screens a minister? If you can answer that, you have gotten an answer to your question...

1 Like

Re: . by Nobody: 6:58am On Apr 18, 2015
abbsal:
I guess a Federal minister..cos as a minister,u head a ministry in all d 36states of d federation,while a senator represents a/some constituency. But a senator is elected by votes while ministers are not....make I tell d truth d thing confuse me oo..cos president fit fire minister but can't try it with senator...from another angle na senator

Actually I want to believe a senator is superior to a minister because a minister can be removed at anytime by the president while that is not the case with a senator. Also, we see many former governors vying to become senators but we never see or hear of any former governor vying to become a minister.

Just my thoughts though.
Re: . by abbsal(m): 12:40pm On Apr 18, 2015
Pipsland78:

Actually I want to believe a senator is superior to a minister because a minister can be removed at anytime by the president while that is not the case with a senator. Also, we see many former governors vying to become senators but we never see or hear of any former governor vying to become a minister.

Just my thoughts though.
But,Alh.Rabiu Kwakwaso was first a Governor b4 becoming a minister of defence ooo then back as governor again...ur thoughts are quite reasonable sha.

1 Like

Re: . by Nobody: 8:40pm On Apr 18, 2015
Frankiss44:
Who screens a minister? If you can answer that, you have gotten an answer to your question...
Senators. Not one senator, but many.
Re: . by Nobody: 2:55pm On Apr 27, 2015
Frankiss44:
Many Senators, not one
Re: . by Rossikk(m): 3:04pm On Apr 27, 2015
Pipsland78:
Who is more superior constitutionally between a Federal Minister and a Senator? Your contribution will be highly appreciated. Thanks

Wrong English.

You mean ''Who is superior'' not ''Who is more superior''.
Re: . by Nobody: 3:36pm On Apr 27, 2015
Re: . by aare07(m): 3:45pm On Apr 27, 2015
The answer to this relative, Senate President is superior to all Ministers but ordinary Senator no pass minister of petroleum etc
Re: . by JingoOAU(m): 3:51pm On Apr 27, 2015
1. A senator can not be removed by anybody other than being recalled by his constituency, but a minister can be fired without notice

2. A minister who's a member of a committe can influence positively or nagetively on the policies of a particular ministry. For instance, the senate committee on aviation can wield enormous influence as to how much should be spent in a given year. Though d minister is directly answerable to d president, however, the minister is also answerable to the committees of the house supervising his work

4. A senator has a fixed term of 4 years and which can be renewed tru elections, whereas, a minister doesn't have a tenure...soldier come, soldier go

5. It's very much difficult for a minister to argue professionally based on policies with the president, whereas, a senator can go against the whims and caprices of both the president and the minister

6. A minister is under much pressure to perform because enormous funds are allocated to him to succeed, whereas, being a lawmaker, a senator is not under any obligation or duress to pass any law or perform

7. A senator can probe a minister within its jurisdiction, whereas, a minister can not probe a senator

1 Like 1 Share

Re: . by sirugos(m): 3:58pm On Apr 27, 2015
Elected (senator) appointed (minister) so do the evaluation by ur self op
Re: . by AgentOfAllah: 4:35pm On Apr 27, 2015
Pipsland78:
Who is superior constitutionally between a Federal Minister and a Senator? Your contribution will be highly appreciated. Thanks

Define "Superior", as it could mean many things to many people. It could mean the take home pay, it could be the difference between "appointed" and "elected", it could mean size of constituency, it could mean many things.

A senator cannot be fired by the president for instance, but a minister can. A minister's constituency is the whole country, but a senator is a provincial leader. A minister spearheads a single portfolio, whereas a senator pushes for several agendas and policies covering a wide range of areas. A minister's impact is most felt after the approval of their prastatal's budget, whereas a senator's impact is felt after their ideas must have been subjected to votes on the floor of the house, with a majority votes necessary for execution.

There is no clear basis for comparison, and I think comparison is futile unless you specify what superior is, because it is inherently comparative in nature, hence must have a clearly defined basis by which this comparison is made.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: . by Rossikk(m): 4:37pm On Apr 27, 2015
Pipsland78:

After correcting the English could you also provide answer to the question?

No, as I'm not really interested in the topic.

(1) (Reply)

(photos)former Lagos State Governor, Fashola Allegedly Impregnates Another Woman / Bankole Detained In Underground Cell / APC Has Come Out With Sample Of Loots To Be Probed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.