Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,197 members, 7,953,726 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 01:09 AM

South Africa's Zuma Visits Immigrants Displaced By Xenophobia Violence - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / South Africa's Zuma Visits Immigrants Displaced By Xenophobia Violence (805 Views)

Boko Haram Forced Me To Watch My Son Beheaded – Displaced Baga Resident / Muhammad Bello Rejects Dangote’s Ramadan Gifts For Vulnerable, Displaced Persons / Jonathan With Wounded Soldiers & Displaced Persons (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

South Africa's Zuma Visits Immigrants Displaced By Xenophobia Violence by ozoigbondu: 8:54pm On Apr 18, 2015
South Africa's President Jacob Zuma on Saturday canceled a state visit to Indonesia to deal with a wave of anti-immigrant violence at home and promised peace to those who wished to remain in Africa's most advanced economy.

The unrest which began in the port city Durban two weeks ago and spread to Johannesburg, Africa's economic hub, appeared to have died down on Saturday as police patrolled trouble spots.

"We are certainly going to stop the violence," Zuma told hundreds of displaced African immigrants at a camp in Chatsworth, south of Durban, in a speech televised on eNCA.

"Those who want to go home, when the violence stops you are welcome to return," he said, addressing immigrants who planned to board buses provided by their governments to take them back to their countries.

Thousands of foreigners have sought refuge in camps set up in Johannesburg and Durban and the governments of Zimbabwe and Malawi began bussing their nationals back home.

Violence flared after Zulu King Goodwill Zwelithini said in remarks widely reported by South African media in March that foreigners should leave the country.

He has since said his comments were misinterpreted and on Saturday attempted to defuse tensions.

"Anyone who is waiting for an order from Zwelithini to attack people, no. No," eNCA reported the king as saying during a traditional ceremony in rural KwaZulu-Natal.

At least four people have been killed in the violence over the last fortnight and foreign nationals have complained that the South African police are failing to protect them.

Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe on Saturday expressed shock and disgust at the attacks on immigrants.

"I would want now to express our sense of shock, disgust as we abhor the incidences which happened in Durban," said Mugabe, speaking on behalf of the regional Southern African Development Community and African Union, both of which he currently chairs.

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN0N90H620150418?irpc=932
Re: South Africa's Zuma Visits Immigrants Displaced By Xenophobia Violence by HungerBAD: 8:59pm On Apr 18, 2015
As a young boy in Lagos, i witnessed the way the Ghanaian s were treated in Nigeria and as they say what goes round comes round and Karma is coming back to deal with Nigerians.

The Difference here is that though the People from Ghana were not killed, but plenty of their women were raped and the men beaten, especially in the old oshodi part of Lagos.

For those old enough to have witnessed this would know exactly what i am talking about, and that is why i say the Ghana people are a forgiven people. Especially with the numbers of Nigerians living there.

So Back to South Africa.

South Africans by nature are a violent bunch. And this comes with the many years of them fighting their colonial masters, so i am surprised people are complaining with the way they behaved.

For the fact that a Lion was born into captivity in a Zoo does not make that Lion a DOMESTIC Animal. A lion will always be a lion, A Nigerian(with our tortoise brain)will always be a Nigerian and a South African will always be one, nobody can change that, so we should be ready to accept them with their violent tendencies or better still LEAVE THEIR COUNTRY .

Some here have said THEY FORGOT WE SPENT SO MUCH MONEY TO HELP THEM FIGHT APARTHEID. To those i say SO WHAT?so for the fact we helped them means we should go get our reward by all means from their country?the Drug Dealers, Scam Artist and majority of the asylum seekers in South Africa are Nigerians. The Nigerians in South Africa are a shame to behold.

Even in their apartheid days, you did not FIND any SOUTH AFRICAN in Nigeria seeking Asylum, THEY STAYED IN THEIR COUNTRY AND FOUGHT THEIR BATTLES THEMSELVES until they got Independence. So this lazy Nigerians going there for school and asylum should stay back in their country and build it, instead of whining like a Virgin on her first Night.

If only some other Countries can make their Countries unlivable like South Africa, maybe we will stay home, fight the Corruption/Politicians and then make Nigeria a Better place to stay in.

Nigerians should LEAVE South Africa. IT IS ANOTHER AFRICAN COUNTRY.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: South Africa's Zuma Visits Immigrants Displaced By Xenophobia Violence by Nobody: 9:01pm On Apr 18, 2015
the south africans I know will never stop attacking black foreigners in their country. Those guys and civility are far apart.

I just hope God will shine his light on them someday. South africans and xenophobia are like 5 & 6, inseparable.

Re: South Africa's Zuma Visits Immigrants Displaced By Xenophobia Violence by Nomswag: 9:04pm On Apr 18, 2015
ooooo noooo hw i wish puttin is our president.....S.A govt would have been shekauing their citizen by nw.
Re: South Africa's Zuma Visits Immigrants Displaced By Xenophobia Violence by Young03(m): 9:12pm On Apr 18, 2015
he woundnt av posponed his trip so his head go fall
Re: South Africa's Zuma Visits Immigrants Displaced By Xenophobia Violence by abduljabbar4(m): 10:00pm On Apr 18, 2015
HungerBAD:
As a young boy in Lagos, i witnessed the way the Ghanaian s were treated in Nigeria and as they say what goes round comes round and Karma is coming back to deal with Nigerians.

The Difference here is that though the People from Ghana were not killed, but plenty of their women were raped and the men beaten, especially in the old oshodi part of Lagos.

For those old enough to have witnessed this would know exactly what i am talking about, and that is why i say the Ghana people are a forgiven people. Especially with the numbers of Nigerians living there.

So Back to South Africa.

South Africans by nature are a violent bunch. And this comes with the many years of them fighting their colonial masters, so i am surprised people are complaining with the way they behaved.

For the fact that a Lion was born into captivity in a Zoo does not make that Lion a DOMESTIC Animal. A lion will always be a lion, A Nigerian(with our tortoise brain)will always be a Nigerian and a South African will always be one, nobody can change that, so we should be ready to accept them with their violent tendencies or better still LEAVE THEIR COUNTRY .

Some here have said THEY FORGOT WE SPENT SO MUCH MONEY TO HELP THEM FIGHT APARTHEID. To those i say SO WHAT?so for the fact we helped them means we should go get our reward by all means from their country?the Drug Dealers, Scam Artist and majority of the asylum seekers in South Africa are Nigerians. The Nigerians in South Africa are a shame to behold.

Even in their apartheid days, you did not FIND any SOUTH AFRICAN in Nigeria seeking Asylum, THEY STAYED IN THEIR COUNTRY AND FOUGHT THEIR BATTLES THEMSELVES until they got Independence. So this lazy Nigerians going there for school and asylum should stay back in their country and build it, instead of whining like a Virgin on her first Night.

If only some other Countries can make their Countries unlivable like South Africa, maybe we will stay home, fight the Corruption/Politicians and then make Nigeria a Better place to stay in.

Nigerians should LEAVE South Africa. IT IS ANOTHER AFRICAN COUNTRY.

I guess you don't know what happened around 1961. Ghana did the same to Nigerians

(1) (Reply)

If This Isnt Dictatorship And Impunity... Tell Me What Could Be!!! / Buhari Takes A Ride On A Shuttle Bus (PHOTO) / See The Only Governor Who’s Not Leaving Any Debt For His Successor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.