Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,781 members, 7,810,036 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:06 PM

Sacked For Sending Official Mail With Blackberry - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Sacked For Sending Official Mail With Blackberry (26093 Views)

Bankers To Be Sacked For Introducing Customers To MMM / Lagos Banker Sacked For Tweeting About Hating His Job / Nigerian Gets Sacked For Fraud After Wife Testifies In Church Of His New Mansion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sacked For Sending Official Mail With Blackberry by oseiwe(m): 9:33am On Apr 19, 2015
any official mail configured on ur blackberry can NEVER show that signature!
Re: Sacked For Sending Official Mail With Blackberry by yomalex(m): 9:48am On Apr 19, 2015
He should have removed that but akward when you realise blackberry is a business tool
Re: Sacked For Sending Official Mail With Blackberry by overlord77: 9:52am On Apr 19, 2015
olasquare22:
It is allowed to send mail with ur phone provided u are on d field and d mail is time bound. E.g cheque confirmation by an account officer of a bank, who is presently out of office. That is even d more reason why ur official mail is configured to ur phone.

Very true, while I was in the bank, we would send mails from both our OWA or even personal emails configured on our devices. However, I think he should have removed the BlackBerry signature. Nevertheless, the HR person over did it, it's no so much a crime to warrant service termination
Re: Sacked For Sending Official Mail With Blackberry by Nobody: 9:55am On Apr 19, 2015
Here, all employees were given to be able to respond to email anytime.

The BlackBerry was also set for everyone's official signature.

There was a time I got a new replacement blackberry and had not reset the signature from "Sent from Blackberry.."

I sent an email to a top level person in our UK office with that BlackBerry signature and she just put a comment/reminder after replying my message, that I should change my BB email signature to official.

I have not remembered to change, but will do now.

That said, it is a very flimsy excuse to sack someone because of that.

The person should just be corrected, and at worst given a mild query.

Not a sackable offence.
Re: Sacked For Sending Official Mail With Blackberry by richard870(m): 9:57am On Apr 19, 2015
hizaya61:
a friend of mine told me he was sacked last month for sending an official mail with blackberry Q10 because of the signature "sent from blackberry 10", do you believe this?
@Op, I knw it sounds crazy buh that's why companies (businesses) in general lay strict emphasies on business ethics & professionalism
I pray God intervenes & grant your friend a second chance
Re: Sacked For Sending Official Mail With Blackberry by rigarmortis: 10:00am On Apr 19, 2015
He didnt tell you the whole gist, he and the MD are eyeing the same babe.

The MD secretary, sending such mail with the BB signature was careless, but sacking him for that is just too high handed.

Other ''things'' are involved.
Re: Sacked For Sending Official Mail With Blackberry by AAinEqGuinea: 10:22am On Apr 19, 2015
stop being pretentious

1) you should be more concerned about the actual message
2) it shows your mobile (not at desk), good to know if a request is made

In my opinion, it's better than this dull, pointless signature :

[size=15pt]your name again[/size]which is also shown in email header
official title I don't care about
obvious company name see email address
antiquated land
and facsimile numbers
*cell phone* most useful info surrounded by garbage info
Obvious company website
see email address after '@'

...and most times the actual email content only has a short response like "yes" or "fixing" (from colleagues)

"Sent from blackberry" or iPhone works just fine. Poor reason to sack someone
Re: Sacked For Sending Official Mail With Blackberry by kachnov(m): 10:28am On Apr 19, 2015
Bollinger:

Over reactive you say? sending classified mail using an unclassified server is a no-go, especially if the corporate policy forbids it. This is to prevent corporate espionage. He might be lucky if he is not sued. If there is a breach because of his negligence and a rival company extracts sensitive information because of him, then he might be liable. This is a lesson for everyone. Not every company has a ajanlekoko mentality. In my line of work, you go to jail. Period.

you sound like you work for the CIA or KGB,well it all boils down to clear communication,either the company policy didn't clearly state that BlackBerry mailing is prohibited or the employee failed to read and comprehend the stated policy .
Re: Sacked For Sending Official Mail With Blackberry by lonelydora: 10:29am On Apr 19, 2015
Yes. it's not right to send an official mail with a personal gadget. What happened to the office computers? It shows laziness.
Re: Sacked For Sending Official Mail With Blackberry by Nobody: 10:32am On Apr 19, 2015
lonelydora:
Yes. it's not right to send an official mail with a personal gadget. What happened to the office computers? It shows laziness.

Not really its about the Signature and Logo, our company allows it but i will never do it, that's taking work home with me i'd rather visit my mail online.
Re: Sacked For Sending Official Mail With Blackberry by Pain(m): 10:33am On Apr 19, 2015
Reminds me about the silly reasons people give for failing JAMB examination
Re: Sacked For Sending Official Mail With Blackberry by kachnov(m): 10:36am On Apr 19, 2015
smokeyupu:

It all depends on company policy. I send all sorts of email to our clients via blackberry when I'm out of office or by desktop when I'm in d office. All mails received on our server r automatically received on my BB. My clients r worldwide so can b in d office when im in bed.

There is nothing wrong sending from your BlackBerry, but at least not with that signature.What you don't know is that every communication made via BlackBerry is stored in RIM servers abroad.So if you're a terrorist organisation or National security data sensitive type of firm,then the company's policy could have already stated its preferred channel of communication .

1 Like

Re: Sacked For Sending Official Mail With Blackberry by Bollinger(m): 10:49am On Apr 19, 2015
kachnov:

you sound like you work for the CIA or KGB,well it all boils down to clear communication,either the company policy didn't clearly state that BlackBerry mailing is prohibited or the employee failed to read and comprehend the stated policy .

True. I would also assume that it must have been in the company policy, else he would not be fired. This is also assuming the damn story is not a MOD story.
Re: Sacked For Sending Official Mail With Blackberry by laidback(m): 10:55am On Apr 19, 2015
Horlufemi:
Sue the company. Collect good money make una no see again.

You just got it. He's a millionaire in waiting as long as
1. He didn't work there for too long, so can edit that work experience from his CV. This is important when going for another job due to reference.

2. There's nothing clearly spelt out in the company's policy making it unlawful for him to have sent a mail from his smartphone with or without the 'sent from ...' signature.

1 Like

Re: Sacked For Sending Official Mail With Blackberry by darepoju(m): 11:02am On Apr 19, 2015
can be true...! but mehn! that's shitty..!
what then is the essence of mobile Internet if u can't do office on the go??
maybe he's been on his boss' black before the mail sending event....
my boss and I communicate on daily basis via mobile inter cos he's always traveling...
we also deliver jobs to client clients via mails THROUGH MOBILEss..
Re: Sacked For Sending Official Mail With Blackberry by dlux: 11:03am On Apr 19, 2015
Visit http://gtbensmag.com for Technology news
Re: Sacked For Sending Official Mail With Blackberry by lonelydora: 11:10am On Apr 19, 2015
pcguru1:

Not really its about the Signature and Logo, our company allows it but i will never do it, that's taking work home with me i'd rather visit my mail online.

That's why I said laziness, taking work home. Well, it also depends on your job functions. I always edit that Samsung signy whenever I use my phone. What I use depends on who I want to send the mail to.
Re: Sacked For Sending Official Mail With Blackberry by Cutehector(m): 11:11am On Apr 19, 2015
He aint the boss, so he should deal wit it..

Nigerian bosses sef....

Too too uptight
Re: Sacked For Sending Official Mail With Blackberry by fitinwell: 11:21am On Apr 19, 2015
What if the signature says sent from Samsung Galaxy Note...
Re: Sacked For Sending Official Mail With Blackberry by ekea2001: 11:27am On Apr 19, 2015
Canadians send official mails with their bb on the go.Depends on the urgency and want of convenience not the signature.Cheap lies.They wanted him out already if maybe true ..
Re: Sacked For Sending Official Mail With Blackberry by Bamz(m): 11:29am On Apr 19, 2015
The sack was in the offing. That's a rather tame reason.
Re: Sacked For Sending Official Mail With Blackberry by blackjack21(m): 11:41am On Apr 19, 2015
hizaya61:
a friend of mine told me he was sacked last month for sending an official mail with blackberry Q10 because of the signature "sent from blackberry 10", do you believe this?
He should get his attorney and sue that company. Whatdatfuq

11:40:28
Sun, Apr 19, 2015
Re: Sacked For Sending Official Mail With Blackberry by Nobody: 11:42am On Apr 19, 2015
lonelydora:

That's why I said laziness, taking work home. Well, it also depends on your job functions. I always edit that Samsung signy whenever I use my phone. What I use depends on who I want to send the mail to.

At all even when i work i can't push back to my Company's Repository since its only allowed inside the premises unless i have my own VPN, then again, my job function is different from those who need to monitor the systems 24-7 I only code and push to the company. Yu also need to strike balance separating work time from personal time.

1 Like

Re: Sacked For Sending Official Mail With Blackberry by blackjack21(m): 11:45am On Apr 19, 2015
Cutehector:
He aint the boss, so he should deal wit it..

Nigerian bosses sef....

Too too uptight
this is 21 century dude, you can't sack people because you are the boss. He can sue the company

11:44:53
Sun, Apr 19, 2015
Re: Sacked For Sending Official Mail With Blackberry by Cutehector(m): 11:50am On Apr 19, 2015
blackjack21:

this is 21 century dude, you can't sack people because you are the boss. He can sue the company

11:44:53
Sun, Apr 19, 2015
lol whch court wil grant him d favour? When dr is too much corruption in d country
Re: Sacked For Sending Official Mail With Blackberry by ajayiopy: 11:53am On Apr 19, 2015
If that organization is service focused that is totally unacceptable, I am an ATM custodian I monitor my machines on my mobile device and I response to mails via the same channel. However You should read the policy very well
Re: Sacked For Sending Official Mail With Blackberry by dabigwalls: 11:59am On Apr 19, 2015
Cheap company. The Blackberry brand alone is probably not mate with the sacking company. I guess that fellow was sacked for other reasons. You don't wanna know what industry changes have occured via emails sent from Blackberry phones. The company is probably not high flying, a dinosaur and definitely not on top.
Re: Sacked For Sending Official Mail With Blackberry by blackjack21(m): 12:02pm On Apr 19, 2015
Cutehector:
lol whch court wil grant him d favour? When dr is too much corruption in d country
Damn, I'm pissed off! Justice is now a favor in 9ja. Choiiii!

12:01:23
Sun, Apr 19, 2015
Re: Sacked For Sending Official Mail With Blackberry by Cutehector(m): 12:04pm On Apr 19, 2015
blackjack21:

Damn, I'm pissed off! Justice is now a favor in 9ja. Choiiii!

12:01:23
Sun, Apr 19, 2015
be there na... Why do u think God is angry wit all the injustice
Re: Sacked For Sending Official Mail With Blackberry by free2ryhme: 12:10pm On Apr 19, 2015
hizaya61:

Just tell it is you

1 Like

Re: Sacked For Sending Official Mail With Blackberry by sdavirus: 12:21pm On Apr 19, 2015
Logician:
Please what is official mail? I have been sending my business mail through my blackberry to big companies abroad and they reply? What is the need for a smart phone if it can't help you when you are on the go

There's a big difference between being a business man, and being employed by a large cooperation. Not about getting a response or not Every company have their rules. Who knows if he was even working for Apple.
Re: Sacked For Sending Official Mail With Blackberry by lantres000(m): 12:22pm On Apr 19, 2015
Them no sack am well self . People are been sacked for even using personal email to send official mail let alone BB. The only thing that will warrant sending a mail with ur BB should be that you are a field staff and you are sending a design from field to town

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Recession: Construction Firms Sack 65,000 Workers / My Boss Just Did Me A Massive Favour, But I'm Still Worried. / What I Learnt From Leaving My Teaching Job

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.