Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,962 members, 7,817,826 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:36 PM

Top 10 Nigerian Writers Of All Time. - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Top 10 Nigerian Writers Of All Time. (40455 Views)

Drop The Name of Your Best Romance Writers Of Nairaland / Top 20 Nairaland Best Writer Of All Time / My Top 7 Mystery/crime Writers Of The 21st Century (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Top 10 Nigerian Writers Of All Time. by Nobody: 1:19pm On Apr 21, 2015
Missclasssy thank you...joining You Guys soon
Re: Top 10 Nigerian Writers Of All Time. by Schematics: 1:19pm On Apr 21, 2015
Stop trying to feel good. Achebe is the father of modern African literature. use your google and cure your ignorance.

Achebe is the Africa's number ONE and the most influential African celebrity. Use your google once again! cool

TFA has been translated into over 70 languages..do you know what that means? It means its a 'hotcake' around the world. So you are not wiser than the rest of the world. Go and get better things to do.

Even this listing recognized that Achebe is the Africa's number one!

hifaif:

You must be a joker to think Achebe tops in Africa. A novelist who only wrote 5 novels and couldn't even replicate his masterpiece. Even that Things Fall Apart is overrated. He was lucky to have published the book at the time he did. If you have read the Famished Road or Sello Duiker's Hidden Star, then you would know that TFA is overrated.

5 Likes

Re: Top 10 Nigerian Writers Of All Time. by Buonsenso: 1:21pm On Apr 21, 2015
hifaif:

You must be a joker to think Achebe tops in Africa. A novelist who only wrote 5 novels and couldn't even replicate his masterpiece. Even that Things Fall Apart is overrated. He was lucky to have published the book at the time he did. If you have read the Famished Road or Sello Duiker's Hidden Star, then you would know that TFA is overrated.

No, I disagree. Tfa is not overrated..okri famished road is magic realism, Tfa is a sociological work, that is well written..its like comparing apples and watermelon. Both are fruits but of different taste. They are both good works in their own rights.
Achebe is a great writer and we don't measure how good a writer is by his production levels but by profundity. Examples abound of writers who wrote just one or two masterpieces.

6 Likes

Re: Top 10 Nigerian Writers Of All Time. by Volksfuhrer(m): 1:21pm On Apr 21, 2015
Op, your list is flawed.

No Cyprian Ekwensi! No Ola Rotimi! What type of list is that!
Re: Top 10 Nigerian Writers Of All Time. by drAvundaa: 1:22pm On Apr 21, 2015
kennygee:

Lovers of literature will agree with me.

Ola Rotimi's name should be there.
where is Elechi Amadi, Cyprian Ekwensi, Ola Rotimi, Ifeanyi Aniebo, . . .u need to know their quality before u repeat d list
Re: Top 10 Nigerian Writers Of All Time. by Nobody: 1:22pm On Apr 21, 2015
Re: Top 10 Nigerian Writers Of All Time. by AreaFada2: 1:23pm On Apr 21, 2015
fretnot:
Ola Rotimi
Zulu Sofola
Amos Tutuola
Cyprian Ekwensi
Elechi Amadi

These are, at least five names that should make the list, I think.

I think there should be two lists. Older generation & younger generation. Older generation led by Achebe & Soyinka. Younger one led by Osundare & Habila.

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Nigerian Writers Of All Time. by Schematics: 1:23pm On Apr 21, 2015
Op is the not the source of this list, it was publish by a research firm.

drAvundaa:
where is Elechi Amadi, Cyprian Ekwensi, Ola Rotimi, Ifeanyi Aniebo, . . .u need to know their quality before u repeat d list
Re: Top 10 Nigerian Writers Of All Time. by nagoma(m): 1:23pm On Apr 21, 2015
CYPERIAN EKWENSI

I always wonder wonder why this great Nigeria writer Ekwensi is always underrated! Ekwensi was far greater than many in that list and would normally be close behind the first or the second best in this list.
These are some of Ekwensi works, ( people of the city was my best, but I also loved Burning grass, loko town and all. Jagua Nana was my first contact with pidgin English - most entertaining) .

When Love Whispers (1948)
An African Night's Entertainment (1948)
The Boa Suitor (1949)
The Leopard's Claw (1950)
People of the City (London: Andrew Dakers, 1954)
The Drummer Boy (1960)
The Passport of Mallam Ilia (written 1948, published 1960)
Jagua Nana (1961)
Burning Grass (1961)
An African Nights Entertainment (1962)
Beautiful Feathers (novel; London: Hutchinson, 1963)
Rainmaker (collection of short stories; 1965)
Iska (London: Hutchinson, 1966)
Lokotown (collection of short stories; 1966)
Restless City and Christmas Gold (1975)
Divided We Stand: a Novel of the Nigerian Civil War (1980)
Motherless Baby (Nigeria: Fourth Dimension Publishing Company, 1980)
Jagua Nana's Daughter (1987)
Behind the Convent Wall (1987)
The Great Elephant Bird (Evans Brothers, 1990
Gone to Mecca (Heinemann Educational Books, 1991)
Jagua Nana's Daughter (1993)
Masquerade Time (children’s book; London: Chelsea House Publishing; Jaws Maui, 1994)
Cash on Delivery (2007, collection of short stories)

12 Likes

Re: Top 10 Nigerian Writers Of All Time. by IGBOSON2: 1:24pm On Apr 21, 2015
Built2last:

why people mouth bad like this...before i accuse someone of being over rated...i google the persons name and google my name...if the difference is clear...i respect such people. so google the names of everyone in your village plus your name and google the names listed above...

why the hate? and we dont even know you exist

^^^Chei bros!.....That was an overkill you know!? grin lipsrsealed

4 Likes

Re: Top 10 Nigerian Writers Of All Time. by alienvirus: 1:24pm On Apr 21, 2015
Where is Amos Tutuola
Re: Top 10 Nigerian Writers Of All Time. by Armaggedon: 1:24pm On Apr 21, 2015
hifaif:

Exactly. A big fluke. Wole Soyinka ought to top that list. Cyprian Ekwensi was a finer writer than Achebe in my opinion . Even TM Aluko was better.
i respect your silly opinion grin

3 Likes

Re: Top 10 Nigerian Writers Of All Time. by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 1:24pm On Apr 21, 2015
Flora Nwapa - Nigeria's first female novelist
Cyprian Ekwensi
Ola Rotimi

.......what an incomplete list

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Nigerian Writers Of All Time. by Nobody: 1:25pm On Apr 21, 2015
searching4love:
undecided

CHINUA ACHEBE IS OVERRATED AND SHOULDN'T BE ON THAT LIST. THE ONLY FAMOUS BOOK HE WROTE WAS "things fall apart" AND IT WAS A FLUKE COS HE NEVER REPEATED SUCH. HE IS AN AVERAGE WRITER WHO DOESN'T DESERVE SUCH RECOGNITION undecided

Frustration may destroy your soul one day... Keep up like this. If you are not complaining about the Igbo, you are ranting like a mad dog about their politics. If you are not complaining about Nigerian girls, you are raving like a mad man about how Igbo people are taking over Nigeria. Idiaat!

14 Likes

Chinua Achebe

1 Like

Chimamanda should be number one on that list if only it was arranged ordely.
All her novels are widely recognised;
1) Things around your neck.
2) Purple Hibiscus
3) Half of a yellow sun
4) Americannah

3 Likes

Re: Top 10 Nigerian Writers Of All Time. by FlintGuevara(m): 1:25pm On Apr 21, 2015
Missclassy did a very nice job, but she would have saved me and other readers a great deal of heart ache by telling us the yardstick used in drawing up this list. Names like Elechi Amadi, Ola Rotimi et al ought to be in this list, but since we don't know the factors taken into account while compiling the list I would conclude by giving Missclassy a thumbs up for an interesting topic.

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Nigerian Writers Of All Time. by Nobody: 1:26pm On Apr 21, 2015
RebelChip:

Frustration may destroy your soul one day... Keep up like this. If you are not complaining about the Igbo, you are ranting like a mad dog about their politics. If you are not complaining about Nigerian girls, you are raving like a mad man about how Igbo people are taking over Nigeria. Idiaat!

Eleeribu leleyi oo undecided ibo loti jawa to lokun lorun? Omo ale ajekuta mamumi
Re: Top 10 Nigerian Writers Of All Time. by wonlasewonimi: 1:28pm On Apr 21, 2015
Reuben Abati

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Top 10 Nigerian Writers Of All Time. by abysirius(m): 1:28pm On Apr 21, 2015
Where Cyprian Ekwensi?

2 Likes

Re: Top 10 Nigerian Writers Of All Time. by aridude(m): 1:28pm On Apr 21, 2015
searching4love:
undecided

CHINUA ACHEBE IS OVERRATED AND SHOULDN'T BE ON THAT LIST. THE ONLY FAMOUS BOOK HE WROTE WAS "things fall apart" AND IT WAS A FLUKE COS HE NEVER REPEATED SUCH. HE IS AN AVERAGE WRITER WHO DOESN'T DESERVE SUCH RECOGNITION undecided

Even person wey no sabi read go open mouth dey talk shit, I no blame you sha I blame tecno wey make Android cheap.

6 Likes

Re: Top 10 Nigerian Writers Of All Time. by Nobody: 1:29pm On Apr 21, 2015
nagoma:
CYPERIAN EKWENSI

I always wonder wonder why this great Nigeria writer Ekwensi is always underrated! Ekwensi was far greater than many in that list and would normally be close behind the first or the second best in this list.
These are some of Ekwensi works, ( people of the city was my best, but I also loved Burning grass, loko town and all. Jagua Nana was my first contact with pidgin English - most entertaining) .

When Love Whispers (1948)
An African Night's Entertainment (1948)
The Boa Suitor (1949)
The Leopard's Claw (1950)
People of the City (London: Andrew Dakers, 1954)
The Drummer Boy (1960)
The Passport of Mallam Ilia (written 1948, published 1960)
Jagua Nana (1961)
Burning Grass (1961)
An African Nights Entertainment (1962)
Beautiful Feathers (novel; London: Hutchinson, 1963)
Rainmaker (collection of short stories; 1965)
Iska (London: Hutchinson, 1966)
Lokotown (collection of short stories; 1966)
Restless City and Christmas Gold (1975)
Divided We Stand: a Novel of the Nigerian Civil War (1980)
Motherless Baby (Nigeria: Fourth Dimension Publishing Company, 1980)
Jagua Nana's Daughter (1987)
Behind the Convent Wall (1987)
The Great Elephant Bird (Evans Brothers, 1990
Gone to Mecca (Heinemann Educational Books, 1991)
Jagua Nana's Daughter (1993)
Masquerade Time (children’s book; London: Chelsea House Publishing; Jaws Maui, 1994)
Cash on Delivery (2007, collection of short stories)

Why did you do this? Most of this your listed novels are sending shivers down my spine... I cant forget the Passport of Mallam Illia.

3 Likes

Re: Top 10 Nigerian Writers Of All Time. by Acisky(m): 1:30pm On Apr 21, 2015
Stoooooooopidt
searching4love:
undecided

Re: Top 10 Nigerian Writers Of All Time. by Nobody: 1:30pm On Apr 21, 2015
These are my mentors, there's no gift as good as the gift as writing.

2 Likes

Re: Top 10 Nigerian Writers Of All Time. by Volksfuhrer(m): 1:31pm On Apr 21, 2015
Buonsenso:

No, I disagree. Tfa is not overrated..okri famished road is magic realism, Tfa is a sociological work, that is well written..its like comparing apples and watermelon. Both are fruits but of different taste. They are both good works in their own rights.
Achebe is a great writer and we don't measure how good a writer is by his production levels but by profundity. Examples abound of writers who wrote just one or two masterpieces.

You still have not shown why Achebe's TFA is better than Okri's Famished Road. You only reduced your choice to taste, which isn't objective. Ranking presupposes an objective criterion, no?
Re: Top 10 Nigerian Writers Of All Time. by SeverusSnape(m): 1:31pm On Apr 21, 2015
emilyone:
I think Wole Soyinka should have come first followed by chinua Achebe

BTW why was Ola Rotimi omitted
Achebe is Nigeria's greatest writer. The father of Nigerian Literature...

6 Likes

Re: Top 10 Nigerian Writers Of All Time. by babajero(m): 1:32pm On Apr 21, 2015
searching4love:
undecided

the problem is that you cant even write an assay not talking of a short drama.

3 Likes

Re: Top 10 Nigerian Writers Of All Time. by SeverusSnape(m): 1:33pm On Apr 21, 2015
RebelChip:

Why did you do this? Most of this your listed novels are sending shivers down my spine... I cant forget the Passport of Mallam Illia.

Damn!... I feel so nostalgic right now. embarassed embarassed
I can never forget that book!..."Usman the terror of the north"...

2 Likes

Re: Top 10 Nigerian Writers Of All Time. by toronto10(m): 1:34pm On Apr 21, 2015
cyprain ekwensi should be no 3 in your list but his name is not there

2 Likes

Re: Top 10 Nigerian Writers Of All Time. by alexlee50: 1:34pm On Apr 21, 2015
searching4love:
undecided

your level of insanity is getting higger by the day

3 Likes

Re: Top 10 Nigerian Writers Of All Time. by Nobody: 1:34pm On Apr 21, 2015
searching4love:

Eleeribu leleyi oo undecided ibo loti jawa to lokun lorun? Omo ale ajekuta mamumi

Nwanne otoro gbagbuo gi dia! Otu nnei... Odika isi adiro gi mma? Nkita rachakwa gi anya dia! Lekwa otule ako nshi igwam okwu.. Nwa mba nshi dika gi... Oburu na ino mu nso kita, bottle orijin a mu ji ga ezu gi ike na isi... Akpa amu yoruba... Siri gi nsi nsi sipu fuo ebe a.... Isi odo!

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Faridah Abike-Iyimide Secures MacMillan Million-Dollar Book Deal In USA / Pregnant Oyin VAkpan Goes Topless In New Photoshoot / My Short Drama Script- Paranoia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.