Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,872 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:49 PM

How Much Should I Spend On My First Car - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Much Should I Spend On My First Car (3633 Views)

8 Things That Happen When A Nigerian Buys His First Car / The First Car That Was Bought In Ido Ekiti (Photo) / How Much Do U Spend On Your Car Monthly Or Annually (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Much Should I Spend On My First Car by olojuede01: 4:49pm On Apr 21, 2015
I really need advice. I intend to purchase my first car later this year. I want to buy a camry/Avalon 2008/09 which costs between 1.9 and 2.3 million. I want to know if it is too much. I told a friend who said its too much for a first car. I earn about 300k monthly. ..
Re: How Much Should I Spend On My First Car by ibrokola(m): 5:09pm On Apr 21, 2015
It's not too much as long as you can drive already. At least that way, you'll have no pressure buying another (better) for the next 3-4 years. I guess we think alike as I earn within that range and I'm planning on getting a camry 09(Muscle). Cheers
Re: How Much Should I Spend On My First Car by Nobody: 5:12pm On Apr 21, 2015
don't mind your friend... get a range rover please. it's only 2.7 million or less for a 2008 model
Re: How Much Should I Spend On My First Car by olojuede01: 5:17pm On Apr 21, 2015
shadowgwalker:
don't mind your friend... get a range rover please. it's only 2.7 million or less for a 2008 model

Thanks for your advice. ... Maintenance however na d issue with that one.

My reason for buying that model of car is because it is one of the few cars with enough leg room. Only a jeep compares with it in leg room. I am tall and huge so small cars like corolla are very uncomfortable. Also I dont want a car that I will be bored with after a few months. I plan to buy a land after the car. No b to dey change motor every year..

1 Like

Re: How Much Should I Spend On My First Car by Nobody: 5:33pm On Apr 21, 2015
olojuede01:

Thanks for your advice. ... Maintenance however na d issue with that one.

My reason for buying that model of car is because it is one of the few cars with enough leg room. Only a jeep compares with it in leg room. I am tall and huge so small cars like corolla are very uncomfortable. Also I dont want a car that I will be bored with after a few months. I plan to buy a land after the car. No b to dey change motor every year..
ok, I wanna sell that... you could try a Toyota product 2008 and above of any choice you make then.
But, good luck.
Re: How Much Should I Spend On My First Car by bravolad(m): 5:42pm On Apr 21, 2015
olojuede01:
I really need advice. I intend to purchase my first car later this year. I want to buy a camry/Avalon 2008/09 which costs between 1.9 and 2.3 million. I want to know if it is too much. I told a friend who said its too much for a first car. I earn about 300k monthly. ..

I am not exactly sure that someone else can advice you appropriately on how much you need to spend for your first car. Car ownership is a personal choice that requires personal conviction. Having said that, the amount of money you spend on a car also depends on a number of things; such as but not limited to the following:
1. how much you earn, which you have mentioned
2. How much you save out of your earnings
3. Other responsibilities which can further be sub-categorized into primary & secondary
4. How much you are realistically willing to spend for such acquisition
5. Personal taste and Choice
6. Your priorities

The bulk of your expenditure for car ownership actually comes at the time of initial purchase. Although, there are occasions people buy cars and spend more than the initial purchase cost to rehabilitate such vehicles but that's a rare incident. But you need to factor in cost of maintenance when buying a car. Over a long time of usage, you are likely going to spend more than your initial cost of purchase via fuelling and maintenance. So it's important you understand this cost whilst contemplating buying a car.

Considering your stated monthly earnings, I do not think it's to much to spend for a car. I believe you will also be looking at a long time usage of up to three years or thereabouts. But as I said earlier, it's your call based on certain parameters only you can set.

Good luck with your decision.
Re: How Much Should I Spend On My First Car by Nobody: 11:08pm On Apr 21, 2015
shadowgwalker:
thought u were playing with the thread
Re: How Much Should I Spend On My First Car by olojuede01: 11:43am On Apr 22, 2015
Please i need more responses!!!
Re: How Much Should I Spend On My First Car by lungwun(m): 3:54pm On Apr 22, 2015
How long is a piece of string?
Re: How Much Should I Spend On My First Car by sultaan(m): 4:42pm On Apr 22, 2015
You are like Nigeria in the 70's you make too much money you don't know what to do.

you have the money just don't know what to buy you don't even have any taste when your mind goes to the Camry because it is the car most buy and resell within 6 months. Buying a good car is not cheap most of the cars in Nigeria are junk so you either talk to one of the dealers to seewhat they can land from US in that range.

Your main problem is you don't have any real desire for a car all you may have to do is look at cars on the street and see which one you really like to own for a long time. If you wait for people to give you a reliable car then you will just be like everyone else driving a car they hate.

But for you buy a Benz or Audi A6/A4

When I say you make too much I didn't mean to disrespect you it is just that the way financing a car work for those abroad is different from Nigeria.

If I want to buy a car worth half my yearly pay, I will have to stretch it out for 4 years to reduce the impact on my obligation the tax taken from my paycheck alone is enough to buy a loaded Corolla cash so if I have 8 months of pay cash the last thing I will need is how much is too much for a caf and what to buy. so the newer the better just do't let them mess it up.
Re: How Much Should I Spend On My First Car by olojuede01: 5:05pm On Apr 22, 2015
sultaan:
You are like Nigeria in the 70's you make too much money you don't know what to do.

you have the money just don't know what to buy you don't even have any taste when your mind goes to the Camry because it is the car most buy and resell within 6 months. Buying a good car is not cheap most of the cars in Nigeria are junk so you either talk to one of the dealers to seewhat they can land from US in that range.

Your main problem is you don't have any real desire for a car all you may have to do is look at cars on the street and see which one you really like to own for a long time. If you wait for people to give you a reliable car then you will just be like everyone else driving a car they hate.

When I say you make too much I didn't mean to disrespect you it is just that the way financing a car work for those abroad is different from Nigeria.

If I want to buy a car worth half my yearly pay, I will have to stretch it out for 4 years to reduce the impact on my obligation the tax taken from my paycheck alone is enough to buy a loaded Corolla cash so if I have 8 months of pay cash the last thing I will need is how much is too much for a caf and what to buy. so the newer the better just do't let them mess it up.

Thanks for your advice ( Though i have no idea what all that long epsitle means)

3 Likes

Re: How Much Should I Spend On My First Car by deathwing(m): 5:17pm On Apr 22, 2015
olojuede01:

Thanks for your advice ( Though i have no idea what all that long epsitle means)

HAHAHAHAHAHA

2 Likes

Re: How Much Should I Spend On My First Car by inze(m): 7:39pm On Apr 22, 2015
sultaan:

shocked
Click like if you feel Autos*** just hacked sultaan's account

6 Likes

Re: How Much Should I Spend On My First Car by Nobody: 10:32pm On Apr 22, 2015
Bossforeva:
thought u were playing with the thread
nah... I'm serious.
Re: How Much Should I Spend On My First Car by chucky234(m): 4:00pm On Apr 23, 2015
olojuede01:

Epic....
LWKMD
Re: How Much Should I Spend On My First Car by olojuede01: 10:15am On Apr 28, 2015
Guys i really need your help deciding......
Re: How Much Should I Spend On My First Car by Ramofi1975: 6:42pm On Oct 23, 2015
Hello, any ideas where i can get a good car from the USA?
Re: How Much Should I Spend On My First Car by abatically(m): 6:52pm On Oct 23, 2015
inze:

shocked

Bros I think say na only me dey notice. Too many jargons these days, I even thought he was gonna ask op to buy a mustang v8 or dodge charger.

1 Like

Re: How Much Should I Spend On My First Car by Nobody: 7:01pm On Oct 23, 2015
sultaan:

Rubbish. U are forgetting one thing, op is in Nigeria and not Yankee , so remove the issue of stretching the payment of a car over 4 years, do u even think before u post? Here we do cash and carry. And why the hate on Toyota? If Toyota is that bad why is it the biggest and best selling automaker in the world? So u think u are smarter than the millions that buy Toyota year in year out?

1 Like

Re: How Much Should I Spend On My First Car by Nobody: 7:11am On Oct 24, 2015
Who be this wey dey yarn dust here?
Re: How Much Should I Spend On My First Car by sultaan(m): 1:33am On Oct 25, 2015
The dust and thrash I have been yarning might into your eyes soon then you will understand and see why not to buy a car you will replace in a year losing 30% of its initial purchase price. A young man says he make good money to buy car people go say go buy kabukabu because it fit every budget. How is that dust
Re: How Much Should I Spend On My First Car by sultaan(m): 1:33am On Oct 25, 2015
inze:

shocked

Clicked like myself cheesy
Re: How Much Should I Spend On My First Car by abatically(m): 7:47pm On Oct 26, 2015
sultaan:
The dust and thrash I have been yarning might into your eyes soon then you will understand and see why not to buy a car you will replace in a year losing 30% of its initial purchase price. A young man says he make good money to buy car people go say go buy kabukabu because it fit every budget. How is that dust

The lad said he is looking at 2008/2009 Toyota Avalon. Does that look like a kabukabu to u?

Does this look like kabukabu?

But of course not. U prefer he buys a mustang, or a dodge charger or Chrysler 300. These are equally good cars but what happens when they develop problem? They are abandoned at mechanic workshop because of lack of expertise. Who is not being reasonable here?

Re: How Much Should I Spend On My First Car by sultaan(m): 11:22pm On Oct 27, 2015
abatically:

The lad said he is looking at 2008/2009 Toyota Avalon. Does that look like a kabukabu to u?

Does this look like kabukabu?

But of course not. U prefer he buys a mustang, or a dodge charger or Chrysler 300. These are equally good cars but what happens when they develop problem? They are abandoned at mechanic workshop because of lack of expertise. Who is not being reasonable here?

A couple of posts ago I recommended Benz and A6 for him because he sounded like he has the money.

I don't recall recommending those cars to anyone who says they 're looking for a fuel efficient car only those who have money to be unique and that is where my phrase of pure water and champagne comes.I have no problem with those on a budget I just point out other options that sell as well or better than the usual ones.
For every model Toyota sells their are at least 6 models competing with it that most Nigerians are not fully aware of.
Cars like mustang and camaro don't really have a lot of competition within their price range so when you ask for a fun car those are the best
Re: How Much Should I Spend On My First Car by HumphreyBold(m): 11:45pm On Oct 27, 2015
Me am here just to read oh
Re: How Much Should I Spend On My First Car by olojuede01: 6:10am On Oct 28, 2015
sultaan:

A couple of posts ago I recommended Benz and A6 for him because he sounded like he has the money.

I don't recall recommending those cars to anyone who says they 're looking for a fuel efficient car only those who have money to be unique and that is where my phrase of pure water and champagne comes.I have no problem with those on a budget I just point out other options that sell as well or better than the usual ones.
For every model Toyota sells their are at least 6 models competing with it that most Nigerians are not fully aware of.
Cars like mustang and camaro don't really have a lot of competition within their price range so when you ask for a fun car those are the best

Bros I dont have plenty money eeeee... Like I said my major reason for choosing either of the cars is because of leg room.

(1) (Reply)

Help! Mazda 323f 98 need a new engine / Why Are Fairly Used Vehicle Parts "TOKUNBO" More Expensive Than New One's / All Lagos Registered Vehicles – Must READ !!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.