Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,830 members, 7,810,191 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:58 PM

Why Are Fairly Used Vehicle Parts "TOKUNBO" More Expensive Than New One's - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why Are Fairly Used Vehicle Parts "TOKUNBO" More Expensive Than New One's (3623 Views)

Why Is Camry Aka Big Daddy 04-05 More Expensive Than EOD Same Year? / What To Check Befor Buying A Nigerian Used Vehicle / What Should One Do When There Is A Recall On An Imported Used Vehicle? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Fairly Used Vehicle Parts "TOKUNBO" More Expensive Than New One's by vitality22(m): 4:00pm On Jul 08, 2014
Please, auto parts dealers and auto gurus in the house, I went to change the two front shock absorbers in my 1.8 Xli toyota corolla 2004 model. I was surprised when I asked to know their prizes as I felt new one's should be costlier, lo and behold, I was told that the first grade tokunbo sells for #8,500 naira each, while the new one sells for #5,500 naira.
Infact, I became confused because I hate fairly used parts. Please, which is better of the two? because, I was not satisfied with the answer they gave. I had to check in so many spare parts shops and it was same every where.
why should a used part (tokunbo) be costlier than a new vehicle spare part.
Please, help a brother in need
Re: Why Are Fairly Used Vehicle Parts "TOKUNBO" More Expensive Than New One's by GAZZUZZ(m): 4:13pm On Jul 08, 2014
Go to any toyota service outlet to find out the price of replacement front struts for your vehicle.
Re: Why Are Fairly Used Vehicle Parts "TOKUNBO" More Expensive Than New One's by Nobody: 4:29pm On Jul 08, 2014
GAZZUZZ: Go to any toyota service outlet to find out the price of replacement front struts for your vehicle.
75,000 NGN toyota camry OEM front struts lol and him dey cry say d one him buy too cost. Now that's an irony grin
Re: Why Are Fairly Used Vehicle Parts "TOKUNBO" More Expensive Than New One's by pendusky(m): 4:44pm On Jul 08, 2014
vitality22: Please, auto parts dealers and auto gurus in the house, I went to change the two front shock absorbers in my 1.8 Xli toyota corolla 2004 model. I was surprised when I asked to know their prizes as I felt new one's should be costlier, lo and behold, I was told that the first grade tokunbo sells for #8,500 naira each, while the new one sells for #5,500 naira.
Infact, I became confused because I hate fairly used parts. Please, which is better of the two? because, I was not satisfied with the answer they gave. I had to check in so many spare parts shops and it was same every where.
it's not easy to steal those originals! lol
Re: Why Are Fairly Used Vehicle Parts "TOKUNBO" More Expensive Than New One's by Marpol: 4:48pm On Jul 08, 2014
That is because the new part they are selling to you is China. At most it will last 6months if driven on good roads. You have to be careful about the toks too. Most times its refubished Naija used parts sold to unsuspecting buyer.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Fairly Used Vehicle Parts "TOKUNBO" More Expensive Than New One's by GAZZUZZ(m): 4:56pm On Jul 08, 2014
PARTS DEALERS
The following are the accredited Toyota parts dealers:

Elizade Nigeria Limited - (Workshop/S. parts)
Block A, Plots 24 & 25 Acme Road, Ogba Industrial Scheme.
Tel: +234-1-4920943, 7742612, 7742322, 4707682.
Port-Harcourt Branch:
Plot 114 Trans Amadi Ind. Layout,
Industrial Layout, Portharcourt, Nigeria.
Abuja Branch
Plot 59616/18 Fatai Atere way, Matori Oshodi Lagos.

Kojo Motors
59, Rasaq Balogun, Surulere, Lagos

R.T. Briscoe Nigeria PLC
16/18 Fatai Atere way, Matori Oshodi Lagos.

Globe Motors Holding Nigeria Limited
Head office: Plot 637 Akin Adesola St., Victorial Island, Lagos. Tel: 01-2622778-9, 7758266, Fax: 2613501

Omoregie Motors - (Workshop)
Km 6, Lagos-Badagry Express Road, Alaba, Lagos.
Tel: +234-1-4813773, 5452300.

Germaine Auto Centre
Head office: 2nd Roundabout Lekki Express way, Lekki, Lagos. Tel: +234-1-7749585, 4708615 Fax: 8047815.

Mandilas Motors
Simpson Str. Lagos. Tel: 2633048, 2630252, 2636141
Ebute-Metta Outlet
9, Atitebi St., Ebute Metta West, Lagos

Metropolitan Motors/Redemption Global
1-3, Akilo road, off Oba Adesola Avenue St., Ikeja Lagos.
Tel: 4939761-2, 5452300

Toyota (Nigeria) Limited
Abuja Parts Centre
plot 1259 Aminu Kano Crescent, Wuse 11, Abuja.
Tel: 09-6720701
Portharcourt Parts Centre
Plot 114,
Trans Amadi Ind. Layout, P/H.
Rivers State, Nigeria.
Tel: 084-233679, 084-488907
Toyota Regional Parts Centre
Eddynco Business Complex, Jetty road, Ibeno, Akwa Ibom.

http://www.toyotanigeria.com/Partshome.aspx

Almost all the parts you buy from small shops are not genuine parts, most of them will function but will not last as long as OEM parts.

OEM parts are expensive!!! U go fear fear but in the long run they are worth it. Example the brake pads I bought for my mums avensis 2000 were oem @15,000 and lasted over a year in fact they are still on the vehicle, but if I had bought auto boss 2 brand new they would be dead in a month and would have damaged my rotors (disks), the struts you bought tokumbor might be good if they are OEM and the vehicle they were removed from was driven on very good roads and the car has low mileage. You can check the link I gave you on how to identify original toyota parts.
Re: Why Are Fairly Used Vehicle Parts "TOKUNBO" More Expensive Than New One's by vitality22(m): 5:07pm On Jul 08, 2014
lomomike: 75,000 NGN toyota camry OEM front struts lol and him dey cry say d one him buy too cost. Now that's an irony grin
If you had gone through my post very well, you will realise that I never complained of the price. I don't buy things because they are cheap, i buy them because its of a very high quality. I will rather not buy it than to buy inferior product. My worries is that I expected the new one to cost much more than the fairly used part. I DONT BUY USED VEHICLE SPARE PARTS and that was why I've not changed the struts. I don't endanger my life and the life of the people that will use my car.
However, thanks a bunch for saying something
Re: Why Are Fairly Used Vehicle Parts "TOKUNBO" More Expensive Than New One's by vitality22(m): 5:10pm On Jul 08, 2014
GAZZUZZ: PARTS DEALERS
The following are the accredited Toyota parts dealers:

Elizade Nigeria Limited - (Workshop/S. parts)
Block A, Plots 24 & 25 Acme Road, Ogba Industrial Scheme.
Tel: +234-1-4920943, 7742612, 7742322, 4707682.
Port-Harcourt Branch:
Plot 114 Trans Amadi Ind. Layout,
Industrial Layout, Portharcourt, Nigeria.
Abuja Branch
Plot 59616/18 Fatai Atere way, Matori Oshodi Lagos.

Kojo Motors
59, Rasaq Balogun, Surulere, Lagos

R.T. Briscoe Nigeria PLC
16/18 Fatai Atere way, Matori Oshodi Lagos.

Globe Motors Holding Nigeria Limited
Head office: Plot 637 Akin Adesola St., Victorial Island, Lagos. Tel: 01-2622778-9, 7758266, Fax: 2613501

Omoregie Motors - (Workshop)
Km 6, Lagos-Badagry Express Road, Alaba, Lagos.
Tel: +234-1-4813773, 5452300.

Germaine Auto Centre
Head office: 2nd Roundabout Lekki Express way, Lekki, Lagos. Tel: +234-1-7749585, 4708615 Fax: 8047815.

Mandilas Motors
Simpson Str. Lagos. Tel: 2633048, 2630252, 2636141
Ebute-Metta Outlet
9, Atitebi St., Ebute Metta West, Lagos

Metropolitan Motors/Redemption Global
1-3, Akilo road, off Oba Adesola Avenue St., Ikeja Lagos.
Tel: 4939761-2, 5452300

Toyota (Nigeria) Limited
Abuja Parts Centre
plot 1259 Aminu Kano Crescent, Wuse 11, Abuja.
Tel: 09-6720701
Portharcourt Parts Centre
Plot 114,
Trans Amadi Ind. Layout, P/H.
Rivers State, Nigeria.
Tel: 084-233679, 084-488907
Toyota Regional Parts Centre
Eddynco Business Complex, Jetty road, Ibeno, Akwa Ibom.

http://www.toyotanigeria.com/Partshome.aspx

Almost all the parts you buy from small shops are not genuine parts, most of them will function but will not last as long as OEM parts.

OEM parts are expensive!!! U go fear fear but in the long run they are worth it. Example the brake pads I bought for my mums avensis 2000 were oem @15,000 and lasted over a year in fact they are still on the vehicle, but if I had bought auto boss 2 brand new they would be dead in a month and would have damaged my rotors (disks), the struts you bought tokumbor might be good if they are OEM and the vehicle they were removed from was driven on very good roads and the car has low mileage. You can check the link I gave you on how to identify original toyota parts.
God Bless you and your generation
Re: Why Are Fairly Used Vehicle Parts "TOKUNBO" More Expensive Than New One's by vitality22(m): 5:12pm On Jul 08, 2014
More suggestions needed please
Re: Why Are Fairly Used Vehicle Parts "TOKUNBO" More Expensive Than New One's by Nobody: 5:15pm On Jul 08, 2014
vitality22:
If you had gone through my post very well, you will realise that I never complained of the price. I don't buy things because they are cheap, i buy them because its of a very high quality. I will rather not buy it than to buy inferior product. My worries is that I expected the new one to cost much more than the fairly used part. I DONT BUY USED VEHICLE SPARE PARTS and that was why I've not changed the struts. I don't endanger my life and the life of the people that will use my car.
However, thanks a bunch for saying something

If you never complained of price, why do you come online to tell us your experience/story?
Re: Why Are Fairly Used Vehicle Parts "TOKUNBO" More Expensive Than New One's by Nobody: 5:59pm On Jul 08, 2014
Those new ones we see all around are usually substandard, hence the cheaper price. Because they are substandard, used / tokunbo ones outperform them.
Re: Why Are Fairly Used Vehicle Parts "TOKUNBO" More Expensive Than New One's by vitality22(m): 11:35pm On Jul 08, 2014
lomomike:
If you never complained of price, why do you come online to tell us your experience/story?
I came here to complain because i felt new things should be more expensive than a used one. And where the case is the other way round, i felt i am not buying a good product. I could have gone for the new parts but because it was cheaper than used one i had to stop. Moreover, i get a lot of info from here. When i bought my Nissan Xterra last year, it was here i got info on the ATF to use. I believe most of the auto gurus here will tell me the plain truth unlike the mech out there.
You get me now? Cheers
Re: Why Are Fairly Used Vehicle Parts "TOKUNBO" More Expensive Than New One's by mayor2013: 2:56am On Jul 09, 2014
Whatever I type here now am typing from experience. The new ones which are of high standards are very much expensive. Oga forget about toyota company or elizade.i hate to here those companies whne buying I can tell you those guys are even worse. If I tell you they even go as far as going to ladipo to buy theirs would you beleive grin. So be careful about them. If you need original struts they are very expensive and even sold in nigeria. The so-called grade 1 tokunbo are rare to see. I can tell you from experience I bought 4 but none worked fine for me. If you enter the streets of the markets frequently you would see wen those shocks are being gased by vulcanizers and resprayed by sellers. Oh boy na wetin elizade and toyota dey come buy for una be that o. For that your corolla there is a strut called "kyb" and "tokico". They are one of the best products for struts if you get the original ones. Am currently using tokico on honda accord 2005 and have had rest of mind since using it, Though when buying struts the fronts are much expensive than rears. If you need the original ones and guarantee would be given to you. Reach me on 08156087872.
Re: Why Are Fairly Used Vehicle Parts "TOKUNBO" More Expensive Than New One's by Ikenna351(m): 6:49am On Jul 09, 2014
Vitality22,

You made it sound as if there is something wrong with OEM used parts (tokunbo). If not, why not buy a brand new engine or auto gearbox when yours fail. Or you think engine and auto box are not car parts?

Back then, sometime in 1999, the charging system cut-out (external) of my dad's Peugeot 504 GL I was using then failed. I bought a used new one (Nigerian used). It didn't last a month sef! Back then, a new one (aftermarket, though) cost N1,400. But I went again for a used one, this time, a tokunbo. I bought it N300. Since then, the cut-out worked perfectly from that 1999 - 2012 when my father called me one day and suggested he sell the car since I was no longer available to be using the car. How many years between 1999 - 2012, which the tokunbo cut- out served us?

In the same 504, it had a clutch release bearing that was indestructible, mostly found in foreign produced 504 GL then, just like ours. But the type used in PAN produced 504s and 505s was not as durable as the type in imported ones, new or used. People were now scampering for the used type in our 504 which was never available in new. My father said he never replaced it till I took over the car from him. He bought the car brand new in 1977 and we never replaced the throw-out bearing till 2012 the car left the family. That type of clutch release bearing was a scarce commodity back then. A used one that can last lifespan of a car, if you are lucky to find one. Unfortunately, it has its own clutch fork different from some PAN spec. Meaning, if your clutch fork won't match that throw-out bearing, you will have to replace the bell housing with the one that matches the clutch fork and throw-out bearing in our 504.

In 2011, I bought oxygen sensor for my Baby at the price of 17k. It was Bosch, new OEM. It works perfectly, even till this moment. But now, what you will find in Abuja Peugeot shops is one fake brand, TK, which cost 7-10k, depending on your bargaining power. Does it work? No. Fortunately, it works when used as downstream sensors, but doesn't work for upstream sensors, which it was designed for in the first place. Meaning, to now get a good new oxygen sensors for Peugeots, you either buy online or empty your bank account at Peugeot dealerships. A friend bought a new oxygen sensor and swapped in. It didn't work. He bought a used one, removed the new one and mounted the used one and it worked. Now, do you think he will listen to you when you preach to him "Buy new parts instead because its better" ?

By the way, it must not be new OEM. As your car gets older, new OEM will go out of production. Aftermarket is what you will find in the market. OEM does not mean its better than aftermarket. Sometimes, aftermarkets are better than OEM in quality which cost more than aftermarket. All you need is to find out which aftermarket, which is cheaper than OEM, is as good as OEM or even better, that is if Nigerians have not started bringing the fake ones.

Even in western world, most of them buy used parts from junkyards. Its not a Nigerian thing. Only risk there is, you will have to install it in your car to know if it still work, for some parts that can't be tested or tell from appearance.

I could go on and on. The fact is, OEM used (tokunbo) parts would last you beyond your expectation, if its still good. Problem is ability to identify a true (tokunbo) parts, not a Nigerian used parts disguised as tokunbo. Some of us into Auto business know people that sells genuine tokunbo parts. All you need is ask, and we will direct or recommend you to them or teach you how to identify some of these tokunbo parts from Nigerian used New ones, etc.

Ikenna.

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Fairly Used Vehicle Parts "TOKUNBO" More Expensive Than New One's by bravolad(m): 7:17am On Jul 09, 2014
Used parts would never be more expensive than the OEM. However, as been pointed out, you got the new ones cheaper because they are substandard and fake popularly known as china. Most of the time, the used ones which are damaged, have been repackaged to reflect a genuine used parts by the sellers and sold to unsuspecting buyers.

For those of us that live in Abuja, there are a few shops that sell original OEM parts. Emodi at Sheriff Plaza is one of them. There is one or two shops at Gudu spare parts market that are also reliable. Not too many shops stock them because they are expensive to buy, and are sold with little profit margin. Mind you, the Original OEM is a lot more expensive than the substandard ones.

From enquiries, most car owners prefer the substandard spare parts to the Original OEM relative to the cost and availability. The substandard parts are sold with so much profit and equally guarantee a quick turn over for the seller.
Re: Why Are Fairly Used Vehicle Parts "TOKUNBO" More Expensive Than New One's by vitality22(m): 4:19pm On Jul 09, 2014
Ikenna351: Vitality22,

You made it sound as if there is something wrong with OEM used parts (tokunbo). If not, why not buy a brand new engine or auto box when yours fail. Or you think engine and auto box are not car parts?

Back then, sometime in 1999, the charging system cut-out (external) of my dad's Peugeot 504 GL I was using then failed. I bought a used new one (Nigerian used). It didn't last a month sef! Back then, a new one (aftermarket, though) cost N1,400. But I went again for a used one, this time, a tokunbo. I bought it N300. Since then, the cut-out worked perfectly from that 1999 - 2012 when my father called me one day and suggested he sell the car since I was no longer available to be using the car. How many years between 1999 - 2012, which the tokunbo cut- out served me?

In the same 504, it had a clutch release bearing that was indestructible, mostly found in foreign produced 504 GL then, just like ours. But the type used in PAN produced 504s and 505s was not as durable as the type in imported ones, new or used. People were now scampering for the used type in our 504 which was never available in new. My father said he never replaced it till I took over the car from him. He bought the car brand new in 1977 and we never replaced till 2012 the car left the family. That type of clutch release bearing was a scarce commodity back then. A used one that last lifespan of the car, if you are lucky to find one. Unfortunately, it has its own clutch fork different from some PAN spec. Meaning, if your clutch fork won't match that throw-out bearing, you will have to replace the bell housing with the one that matches the clutch fork and throw-out bearing in our 504.

In 2011, I bought oxygen sensor for my Baby at the price of 17k. It was Bosch, new OEM. It works perfectly, even till this moment. But now, what you will find in Abuja Peugeot shops is one fake brand, TK, which cost 7-10, depending on your bargaining power. Does it work? No. Fortunately, it works when used as downstream sensors, but doesn't work for upstream sensors, which it was designed for I'm the first place. Meaning, to now get a good new oxygen sensors for Peugeots, you either buy online or empty your bank account at Peugeot dealerships. A friend bought a new oxygen sensor and swapped in. It didn't work. He bought a used one, removed the new one and mount the used one and it worked. Now, do you think he will listen to you when you preach to him "Buy new parts instead because its better" ?

By the way, it must not be new OEM. As your car gets older, new OEM will go out of production. Aftermarket is what you will find in the market. OEM does not mean its better than aftermarket. Sometimes, aftermarkets are better than OEM in quality which cost more than aftermarket. All you need to find out which aftermarket which is cheaper than OEM, is a s good as OEM or even better, that aftermarket brand Nigerians have not started bringing the fake ones.

Even in western world, most of them buy used parts from junkyards. Its not a Nigerian thing. Only risk there is, you will have to install it in your car to know if it still work, for some parts that can't be tested or tell from appearance.

I could go on and on. The fact is, OEM used (tokunbo) parts would last you beyond your expectation, if its still good. Problem is ability to identify a true (tokunbo) parts, not a Nigerian used parts disguised a tokunbo parts. Some of us into Auto business know people that sells genuine tokunbo parts. All you need is ask, and we will direct or recommend you to them or teach you how to identify some of these tokunbo parts from Nigerian used New ones, etc.

Ikenna.
Thanks a bunch
Re: Why Are Fairly Used Vehicle Parts "TOKUNBO" More Expensive Than New One's by gogodaye(m): 4:52pm On Jul 09, 2014
@ Ikenna.......so.......so on point..............
Re: Why Are Fairly Used Vehicle Parts "TOKUNBO" More Expensive Than New One's by ivoryhouse(m): 12:08am On Jul 10, 2014
Well spoken guys, new parts in Nigeria are not worth it unless the auto shop is willing to back it up with a warranty! I buy most of my car parts online upto my oil filters, spark plugs and I get better quality at shocking prices. I bought 'new ' spark plugs at N3k each ×6 and they were useless less than a month later. I ordered a new set at less than N1k each and 12months later they are still going strong.
Amazon.com sells great auto parts and you even get to pay in naira! There are other online auto shops that will give you oem parts at a fraction of the Nigerian price. Check amazon.com out, register and I will show you how you can buy from your tablet or phone and recive it in about 10days! And at no cost

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are Fairly Used Vehicle Parts "TOKUNBO" More Expensive Than New One's by Marpol: 7:40am On Jul 10, 2014
ivoryhouse: Well spoken guys, new parts in Nigeria are not worth it unless the auto shop is willing to back it up with a warranty! I buy most of my car parts online upto my oil filters, spark plugs and I get better quality at shocking prices. I bought 'new ' spark plugs at N3k each ×6 and they were useless less than a month later. I ordered a new set at less than N1k each and 12months later they are still going strong.
Amazon.com sells great auto parts and you even get to pay in naira! There are other online auto shops that will give you oem parts at a fraction of the Nigerian price. Check amazon.com out, register and I will show you how you can buy from your tablet or phone and recive it in about 10days! And at no cost

I need the info please.
Re: Why Are Fairly Used Vehicle Parts "TOKUNBO" More Expensive Than New One's by Nobody: 7:43am On Jul 10, 2014
Marpol:

I need the info please.
me too
Re: Why Are Fairly Used Vehicle Parts "TOKUNBO" More Expensive Than New One's by Nobody: 8:19am On Jul 10, 2014
We all need the info pls... grin
Re: Why Are Fairly Used Vehicle Parts "TOKUNBO" More Expensive Than New One's by Kashif(m): 1:55pm On Jul 10, 2014
@ivoryhouse, we are all waiting oooo
Re: Why Are Fairly Used Vehicle Parts "TOKUNBO" More Expensive Than New One's by vitality22(m): 9:38pm On Jul 10, 2014
ivoryhouse: Well spoken guys, new parts in Nigeria are not worth it unless the auto shop is willing to back it up with a warranty! I buy most of my car parts online upto my oil filters, spark plugs and I get better quality at shocking prices. I bought 'new ' spark plugs at N3k each ×6 and they were useless less than a month later. I ordered a new set at less than N1k each and 12months later they are still going strong.
I need this info badly before i waste money on those fake struts. Pls am waiting
Re: Why Are Fairly Used Vehicle Parts "TOKUNBO" More Expensive Than New One's by ivoryhouse(m): 11:19pm On Jul 11, 2014
vitality22:
I need this info badly before i waste money on those fake struts. Pls am waiting
1. Register at www.impexworldwide.com
2. Register at www.amazon.com, use the address at impex.com and your unique I.d from impex.com as your address so amazon can ship
3. Shop for your car parts on amazon (please read reviews so you are sure the part fits your car).

Shoot me a mail if you want me to order for you, for a fee!
Cheers!

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Fairly Used Vehicle Parts "TOKUNBO" More Expensive Than New One's by Crixie(m): 3:53pm On Jul 12, 2014
It's because most of the new parts ain't genuine or China products... genuine products are difficult to get and a bit pricy but are worth it in the end...
Re: Why Are Fairly Used Vehicle Parts "TOKUNBO" More Expensive Than New One's by erico2k2(m): 1:31pm On Jul 22, 2014
vitality22: Please, auto parts dealers and auto gurus in the house, I went to change the two front shock absorbers in my 1.8 Xli toyota corolla 2004 model. I was surprised when I asked to know their prizes as I felt new one's should be costlier, lo and behold, I was told that the first grade tokunbo sells for #8,500 naira each, while the new one sells for #5,500 naira.
Very simple, you have fallen into the groups who think TOYOTA parts are cheap, truth is, they are not cheap thats the Original o nes, The japanes brand are easy to forge hence there are loads of fakes about.The tokumbo ones would be the Originals hence they are dearer that the so called new o nes.If you get teh Original ones the would be very expenssive

(1) (Reply)

Audi 8O Volkswagen For Sale / How Much Should I Spend On My First Car / Vin Check.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.