Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,128 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:51 PM

List Of Yoruba Dialects - Culture (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / List Of Yoruba Dialects (90523 Views)

The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken / The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken / A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by oluamid(m): 8:15am On Apr 23, 2015
Starieangel:
I rep OKUN......(Ejuku ni oooo)no b by mouth,we re well known for our beauty......well,amongst other exciting tyns#wink#

What "exciting things"?
Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by JerryJJZ(m): 8:37am On Apr 23, 2015
Ujesha lu mere (I am an Ijesha man) I rep Osun,, Long Live Osun State, Long Live Ogbeni Aregbe, Long Live Prof Osibanjo, Long Live Gen Buhari, Long Live Nigeria!!!!

1 Like

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by RAO1(m): 8:37am On Apr 23, 2015
Osogbo-Ibadan =oyo dialect

it's a pity , d Igalas are isolated . ...many similarities btwn igala lang. and Yoruba language ...
omi (water) omi also means rain in igala
Ojo (day)---ojo also means God in igala
Owo (broom)
Iyawo/ oya (wife)
Oko(husband)
epo pupa( red oil)
epo ( petrol)
emi (me)
almost all parts of d body like are dsame
figures counting
and maaaany similar things when making sentences like jeun,ja, lo ... e.t.c

1 Like

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by Ghost01(m): 9:09am On Apr 23, 2015
Sodiumdawg:

Arigidi is TB Joshua's hometown, innit?
Yeah! And Ikare Akoko was Moses Orimolade's.

1 Like

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by isralkhaleed(m): 9:34am On Apr 23, 2015
success9:

And Lagos no get indigenes
Yanmirin (I.e Yoruba) pple are the owners of Ajegunle, ilu oke are the owners of Badiya to mushin market, Eko is d owner of ebute meta, Island, Ota, Popo , ijebu is d owner of shomolu. I may be wrong anyway

1 Like

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by onuwaje(m): 9:51am On Apr 23, 2015
Ok I have seen enuf evidence.. that shows that itsekiri is a continuum of the yoruba language.. my argument which I was standing on was that the reason why I said itsekiri was different from the yoruba language is because I used cultural practices and dressing patterns as well as history which pays more reference to the benin empire.

Also our chieftaincy titles r more related to the benin language. That was why I said the itsekiri was nt yoruba.. thanks for adding to my knowledge

Cc:setaje scholes0

7 Likes

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by omodapson(m): 9:56am On Apr 23, 2015
onuwaje:
Ok I have seen enuf evidence.. that shows that itsekiri is a continuum of the yoruba language.. my argument which I was standing on was that the reason why I said itsekiri was different from the yoruba language is because I used cultural practices and dressing patterns as well as history which pays more reference to the benin empire.

Also our chieftaincy titles r more related to the benin language. That was why I said the itsekiri was nt yoruba.. thanks for adding to my knowledge

Cc:setaje scholes0

Bros, I have to give it to you.

1 Like

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by Samneer: 11:27am On Apr 23, 2015
Ninilowo:
Eruwa na Ibarapa nah........ Abi?
yes Ibarapa for sure

1 Like

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by Waladade4luv(m): 11:44am On Apr 23, 2015
oladsey:
Onko is Oke-Ogun in Oyo State not Oyo. Towns here are but not limited to AgoAre, Saki, Iseyin, OkeIho, Igbeti, Kisi, Okaka, Eruwa, Ipapo, Iwere-Ile, Igana, Tede, Irawo, Ofiki etc
Check very well they are mentioning the states which they are being spoken not the town so by writing Oyo u should know I ment Oyo State not Oyo town

1 Like

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by Akfakorede(m): 5:20pm On Apr 23, 2015
oluamid:

That's Arigidi-Akoko. That's Ehindero's home town.

oh that's nice

1 Like 1 Share

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by scholes0(m): 5:42pm On Apr 23, 2015
Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by scholes0(m): 5:45pm On Apr 23, 2015
Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by isalegan2: 6:45pm On Apr 23, 2015
walexy30:
HERE IS THE LIST AND WHERE THE SPEAKERS CAN BE FOUND:

Egba- (OGUN STATE)

Oyo- (OYO STATE AND BENIN REPUBLIC)

Igbomina- (OSUN, KWARA, ONDO, KOGI STATES AND BENIN REPUBLIC)

Okun- (KOGI, ONDO, EKITI STATES)

Itshekiri- (DELTA AND RIVERS STATES)

Ijebu- (OGUN AND LAGOS)

Iseyin- (OYO STATE)

Owu- (OGUN AND OSUN STATE)

Anago- (BENIN REPUBLIC)

Ibolo- (OSUN AND KWARA STATES)

Awori- (LAGOS AND OGUN STATE)

Yewa- (OGUN STATE)

Ekiti- (EKITI AND KWARA STATES)

Ijesa- (OSUN STATE)

Ilorin- (KWARA STATE)

Akoko- (EDO AND ONDO STATES)

Ilaje- (ONDO STATE)

Ife- (OSUN STATE).

Please, there is one dialect I can't remember: They are very close to the ilaje's in Ondo State. If you know it, please, fill the gas.

THANKS.

Ajebótà dialect (LAGOS STATE - Surulere and beyond) undecided

2 Likes

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by delpee(f): 7:58pm On Apr 23, 2015
Where do we fit in the Olukumi people of Delta state who are said to be originally Yoruba's? I read through their history which indicates that their language is more like ancient Yoruba language.

Olukumi literalily meaning my friend is also known as the Lukumi tribe in American/ the Carribeans slave history.
Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by scholes0(m): 8:20pm On Apr 23, 2015
delpee:
Where do we fit in the Olukumi people of Delta state who are said to be originally Yoruba's? I read through their history which indicates that their language is more like ancient Yoruba language.

Olukumi literalily meaning my friend is also known as the Lukumi tribe in American/ the Carribeans slave history.
They are yoruba as well, but are too small....
read this.....

Odiani clan comprises 8 communities which are said to have historically emigrated from the Akoko area of Yoruba during the wars which raged in that part of precoloncoil African, during the 18th century when they arrived at their present day Delta State, the Yoruba Edo (Benin) émigrés and Ibos from the east of the Niger river had been on ground for a minimum of three centuries. Unable to communicate with the hostile people all around them, they courtesied all had Sunder who they came into contact with “Olukumi” a word in the Akoko of Yoruba language which means “my friend”.

To this day, the variant of Yoruba Language spoken by my people is called Olukumi by neighbouring communities further east at Ebu, a migrant community of Igala who came from central Nigeria in search of prime fishing grounds had developed and to this day, the people of Ebu still speak Igala Language. Deep in the heart of the Igbo. Speaking people in Aniocha North Local Government Area of Delta State are Ugbodu and three other communities where Olukumi, a derivatiue of Yoruba language is the language of the people. BANJI Aluko, who visited the communities, examines how close Olukumi actually is to the Yoruba language and traces how the people came about the language.

While knocking at the door, a young lady, emerging from the building replied, ta niyen? When the writer heard the reply, he taught it was a mere coincidence or that his ears were deceiving him. Of course, he had every reason to be surprised since he was not anywhere near a Yoruba enclave where such a reply can only be anticipated.

After all, he was more than 100 kilometer away from the nearest Yoruba community He was in Ubodu town in Aniocha North Local Government Area of Delta state.
While trying to decipher why the lady gave such a reply a young girl of about five appeared and said “mofera biscuit”. Perhaps, the people are part of the Yoruba community living in the town, the writer guessed he tries to find out from the lady and was reluctantly directed to the palace for further explantion as she didn’t have the right to answer any of such questions.

At the palace, the elders still would not talk about the similarity between their language and Yoruba. They asked the writer to wait for the king, who they said can only speak on the people, their language and their history. The period of waiting for the king afforded one time to listen to the conversation and the discovery was nonetheless remarkable.

It was discovered that the Olukumi speak similar language with the Yorubas.
History give it that the Ugbode Olukumi speaking people migrated from Owo/Akure axis in the present Ondo state between 9th and 11th century AD to settle down in Benin during the reign of king Ogiso of Benin. It was this period in the history of the Benin kingdom, the most neglected of the wife of the Ogiso gave birth to the heir apparent to the throne. After the woman gave birth to the child, a male, the nobles consulted the oracle and said that the oracle told them that the child should be killed for peace to reign in Benin kingdom. At the end, the child was not killed as it was said that the child was too handsome to be killed, so a fowl was killed in his place.
Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by delpee(f): 9:06pm On Apr 23, 2015
@scholesO

Thanks! Rest of the interesting story please. wink

Been reading some Yoruba history lately. ..including how Lamurudu may have been Nimrod of the Bible! We are all interwoven in a way.

1 Like

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by Funjosh(m): 11:57pm On Apr 23, 2015
EGBA boy. cool

1 Like

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by Nobody: 3:58pm On Apr 24, 2015
yea... Igala sounds a lot like yoruba... i have 3 Igala friends and they keep telling me that it is Yoruba that is a dialect of Igala and not the other way... even though Yoruba has more than 20 million speakers...

RAO1:
Osogbo-Ibadan =oyo dialect

it's a pity , d Igalas are isolated . ...many similarities btwn igala lang. and Yoruba language ...
omi (water) omi also means rain in igala
Ojo (day)---ojo also means God in igala
Owo (broom)
Iyawo/ oya (wife)
Oko(husband)
epo pupa( red oil)
epo ( petrol)
emi (me)
almost all parts of d body like are dsame
figures counting
and maaaany similar things when making sentences like jeun,ja, lo ... e.t.c

1 Like

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by scholes0(m): 4:06pm On Apr 24, 2015
teeowl:
yea... Igala sounds a lot like yoruba... i have 3 Igala friends and they keep telling me that it is Yoruba that is a dialect of Igala and not the other way... even though Yoruba has more than 20 million speakers...

Actually learned historians have the opposite opinion

Igala and Yoruba have important historical and cultural relationships. The languages of the two ethnic groups bear such a close resemblance that researchers such as Forde (1951) and Westermann and Bryan (1952) regarded Igala as a dialect of Yoruba.

But actuallly, Yoruba is not a dialect of Igala and Igala is not a dialect of Yoruba.
Both are dialects of an original "Yoruboid language"

1 Like

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by YonkijiSappo: 4:26pm On Apr 24, 2015
JingoOAU:
Ikare akoko(Akoko generally)

That's the bastion of multiplicity of dialects....over 50 dialects spoken with a Akoko alone

Initially (long ago), most people in Akoko Area didn't speak Yoruba.
Yoruba took over their original languages (which were originally all Edoid or "Nupe like" ), and continues to spread eastwards, Edo languages and Ebira are the next in the line of danger.
this is from my own personal extensive research.

3 Likes

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by macof(m): 6:37pm On Apr 24, 2015
All this arguments are something you can put to rest wit a little research

How are Itsekiri/Ijekiri not part of the Yoruba family? Even names like Oritsefemi, omawunmi, ayo oritsejafor should make you think

1. Counting in all yoruba dialects are identical -this of course includes the beautiful Itsekiri
2. All Yoruba have a history that is interwoven- includes Itsekiri . Their migration from Ijebu tells it all
3. The very meaning of Itsekiri/Ijekiri - Voyage of wandering about
4. The Itsekiri king is still an Oduduwa descendant through the Omo n'Oba n'Edo
5. Every yoruba Speaker (regardless the dialects u speak) understand Itsekiri. I even understand Itsekiri songs better than Owo. .Owo has too much Bini influence
6. Itsekiri language is closer to Standard yoruba dialect than Akoko...yet you don't see Akoko saying they are not yoruba
7. Itsekiri communities have Yorubic names
8. Bare in mind yoruba dialects are all different so saying Itsekiri is not yoruba is like saying there are no Yorubas
9. Ilaje, Owo, Ondo, Anago, Awori, Ijebu watersiders dress differently from the major Yorubas too, so Itsekiri isn't the only one
10. The messed up political structure of Nigeria shouldn't destroy a people

5 Likes

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by macof(m): 6:53pm On Apr 24, 2015
delpee:
@scholesO

Thanks! Rest of the interesting story please. wink

Been reading some Yoruba history lately. ..including how Lamurudu may have been Nimrod of the Bible! We are all interwoven in a way.
it's a made up tale by Samuel Johnson
lamurudu probably never existed

2 Likes

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by Wulfruna(f): 6:07am On Apr 25, 2015
macof:
it's a made up tale by Samuel Johnson
lamurudu probably never existed

It is not fair to say Revd Johnson just made it all up. As a matter of fact, he didn't. The version of Yoruba-origin story that Johnson used in his book was obtained from an account given to Hugh Clapperton by the then Sultan of Sokoto, Muhammadu Bello. That version appears to have been relatively well-known in Muslim circles.

It is legit to criticise that account as Muslim propaganda but it is not fair to Samuel Johnson to say that it was he who just sat down and made it all up.

People often accuse Johnson of making up things, when most of the times he only related what he was told by the Oyo arokin of his day. What he was told was sometimes not accurate, but it was not he himself who originated the inaccurate bits in his book.

1 Like

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by macof(m): 11:24am On Apr 25, 2015
Wulfruna:

It is not fair to say Revd Johnson just made it all up. As a matter of fact, he didn't. The version of Yoruba-origin story that Johnson used in his book was obtained from an account given to Hugh Clapperton by the then Sultan of Sokoto, Muhammadu Bello. That version appears to have been relatively well-known in Muslim circles.

Muslim propaganda but it is not fair to Samuel Johnson to say that it was he who just sat down and made it all up.

People often accuse Johnson of making up things, when most of the times he only related what he was told by the Oyo arokin of his day. What he was told was sometimes not accurate, but it was not he himself who originated the inaccurate bits in his book.
I guess you are right

1 Like

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by delpee(f): 9:46pm On Apr 25, 2015
Thanks for the enlightenment Wulfruna and Macof. We learn more about our roots everyday.

3 Likes

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by darkenrahl2(m): 2:53pm On Apr 26, 2015
ginajet:
Okun
where in Okun

1 Like

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by ginajet(f): 3:01pm On Apr 26, 2015
darkenrahl2:
where in Okun
kabba

1 Like

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by Nobody: 12:36am On Apr 27, 2015
Do Ijebu watersiders really dress differently?

macof:
All this arguments are something you can put to rest wit a little research

How are Itsekiri/Ijekiri not part of the Yoruba family? Even names like Oritsefemi, omawunmi, ayo oritsejafor should make you think

1. Counting in all yoruba dialects are identical -this of course includes the beautiful Itsekiri
2. All Yoruba have a history that is interwoven- includes Itsekiri . Their migration from Ijebu tells it all
3. The very meaning of Itsekiri/Ijekiri - Voyage of wandering about
4. The Itsekiri king is still an Oduduwa descendant through the Omo n'Oba n'Edo
5. Every yoruba Speaker (regardless the dialects u speak) understand Itsekiri. I even understand Itsekiri songs better than Owo. .Owo has too much Bini influence
6. Itsekiri language is closer to Standard yoruba dialect than Akoko...yet you don't see Akoko saying they are not yoruba
7. Itsekiri communities have Yorubic names
8. Bare in mind yoruba dialects are all different so saying Itsekiri is not yoruba is like saying there are no Yorubas
9. Ilaje, Owo, Ondo, Anago, Awori, Ijebu watersiders dress differently from the major Yorubas too, so Itsekiri isn't the only one
10. The messed up political structure of Nigeria shouldn't destroy a people

1 Like

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by macof(m): 12:28pm On Apr 27, 2015
teeowl:
Do Ijebu watersiders really dress differently?

Sure. Dem Ikorodu Epe
Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by PeeJY(f): 10:21pm On Apr 28, 2015
GodMode:

I want a kwara wife... An extremely beautiful womangringringrin

E no hard, enter market u'll find dem yapa

1 Like

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by GodMode: 10:23pm On Apr 28, 2015
PeeJY:

E no hard, enter market u'll find dem yapa
Are u hausa
How do u know
I mean the very cute northern women...

1 Like

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by teodore(m): 7:03pm On Apr 30, 2015
Akfakorede:

are u an akoko guy?? which part??
i am from Oyin Akoko and you?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply)

Photo Of Ooni Of Ife's New Wife As Claimed By Women Of Rubies (But It Is Fake) / Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? / Hero:king JAJA OF OPOBO Full Biography,history Battle With The British(pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.