Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,608 members, 7,809,224 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:58 AM

List Of Yoruba Dialects - Culture (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / List Of Yoruba Dialects (90183 Views)

The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken / The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken / A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by Nobody: 11:35pm On Jul 10, 2015
eDoctorr:

@Op. Your post is a total failure without the inclusion of Ibadan... The original plain and undiluted among all.

Ibadan was created by Alaafin as a war camp; the wsrriors were drawn from Oyo, Ilesa and Ogbomoso.

Since Oyo dialect is tge one spoken by Ogbomoso and Oyo people, it has swallowed up the Ijesa part of Ibadan.

That is why Oyo is the dialect of the Ibadans.
Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by scholes0(m): 12:31am On Jul 11, 2015
You probably mean Ijebu, and not ijesa.
Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by Nobody: 12:19pm On Jul 11, 2015
scholes0:
You probably mean Ijebu, and not ijesa.

Ibadan came into existence in 1829. [ 2 ]According to local historians, Lagelu, theJagun(commander-in-chief) of Oyo kingdom and generalissimo, left Oyo with some his best warriors from Oyo, Ogbomoso and Ilesa, to found their military outpost to prevent attack on Oyo kingdom from Ijebu and Egba and ado warriors .

Source: Wikipedia.
Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by Nobody: 10:01pm On Nov 23, 2015
YonkijiSappo:

Initially (long ago), most people in Akoko Area didn't speak Yoruba.
Yoruba took over their original languages (which were originally all Edoid or "Nupe like" ), and continues to spread eastwards, Edo languages and Ebira are the next in the line of danger.
this is from my own personal extensive research.
That tells you how powerful Yoruba language is. The next languages to be swallowed by the big fish are:

Edo, Ebira, Igala, Egun, Nupe and Ijaw.
Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by tpiadotcom: 1:18am On Nov 24, 2015
YonkijiSappo:

Initially (long ago), most people in Akoko Area didn't speak Yoruba.
Yoruba took over their original languages (which were originally all Edoid or "Nupe like" ), and continues to spread eastwards, Edo languages and Ebira are the next in the line of danger.
this is from my own personal extensive research.

wrong.

you have it backwards.

Edo and Ebira are Nupoid which means they were affiliated with Nupe at some point.
Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by macof(m): 3:57pm On Nov 24, 2015
walexy30:

Ibadan came into existence in 1829. [ 2 ]According to local historians, Lagelu, theJagun(commander-in-chief) of Oyo kingdom and generalissimo, left Oyo with some his best warriors from Oyo, Ogbomoso and Ilesa, to found their military outpost to prevent attack on Oyo kingdom from Ijebu and Egba and ado warriors .

Source: Wikipedia.

More contradictions, the same wikipedia said some months ago that Lagelu was from Ife and it makes sense to take him as such since the commander in chief of Ife is known as "Jagunosin" not of Oyo
Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by YourNemesis: 2:47am On Apr 06, 2016
Chaaaiiiiii........ Na thread sweet like this. This thread sweet my Belle die.
Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by olaitoro(m): 11:50am On Apr 07, 2016
Yoruba language also poses a treat to Igbo, considering the rate of the Igbos born in yoruba land speak yoruba as against igbo language.

Nowadays, you can easily see two Igbos using yoruba to converse in Igboland.

Personal finding though.

2 Likes

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by tarano: 5:34pm On Aug 24, 2017
Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by scholes0(m): 6:08pm On Aug 24, 2017
^^ that video....Mokole is the most northern Yoruboid dialect in west Africa.

Speakers of Mokole live in an area almost on the same lattitude as the city of Zaria in Nigeria.
I wonder how they got there.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by rhektor(m): 12:08pm On Aug 25, 2017
bigfrancis21:

Itshekiri name their twins Akowa and Toti, and Yorubas name Taiwo and Kehinde, obviously dissimilar names. How do both sound distantly related to you?

What is the meaning of Akowa?

1 Like

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by Nobody: 10:38pm On Sep 24, 2017
rhektor:

What is the meaning of Akowa?
Akowa means first to come in Yoruba I.e Taiwo or Taiye
Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by rhektor(m): 4:45pm On Sep 25, 2017
walexy100:

Akowa means first to come in Yoruba I.e Taiwo or Taiye

Exactly my point which made me ask that dude the question as he was using this as a way to show dissimilarity between the two cultures. Whereas, he did not know that this just proves that the two cultures are too closely related. Maybe he did not even have knowledge of these cultures or he did not understand the languages

2 Likes

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by macof(m): 7:26am On Sep 27, 2017
rhektor:

Exactly my point which made me ask that dude the question as he was using this as a way to show dissimilarity between the two cultures. Whereas, he did not know that this just proves that the two cultures are too closely related. Maybe he did not even have knowledge of these cultures or he did not understand the languages

Don't take that guy serious anywhere you see him.. he is full of posting what he doesn't know

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by rhektor(m): 6:55pm On Nov 27, 2017
[quote author=moscobabs post=32992940]
its not true

''hun o ma puro,ke hin mama jale''.....................Awori grin grin grin grin

that's just dialect they all understand the standard Yorùbá language
Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by ayyoshert: 3:33pm On Dec 05, 2017
onuwaje:

Tell me d meaning of my name let me prove ur sorry yoruba ass wrong grin
i am from Ekiti,
i believe our dialect and ondo own could be a lil closer to your language than other Yoruba dialects.
Uwa is used in Ondo, while the Ekiti dialect is silent on the 'W' we call it Ua
Uwa means Blessing or prosperity in both dialects
if it is same in itsekiri then your name Onuwaje could mean----- the one who owns prosperity or blessing has reign or become.
it will be spelt Onuaje in Ekiti.
Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by onuwaje(m): 9:18am On Dec 06, 2017
ayyoshert:

i am from Ekiti,
i believe our dialect and ondo own could be a lil closer to your language than other Yoruba dialects.
Uwa is used in Ondo, while the Ekiti dialect is silent on the 'W' we call it Ua
Uwa means Blessing or prosperity in both dialects
if it is same in itsekiri then your name Onuwaje could mean----- the one who owns prosperity or blessing has reign or become.
it will be spelt Onuaje in Ekiti.

Nah!

Onetuwaje

It means person wen de chop wealth.

Uwa is wealth in Itsekiri
Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by ayyoshert: 12:37pm On Dec 06, 2017
onuwaje:

Nah!

Onetuwaje

it also means wealth too in Ekiti /Ondo as told by my dad
Wealth, Prosperity and Blessing------- are they not synonymous? semantics
Ekiti will say Oni
ilaje/Ondo will say One.

like my mom when cooking yam back then will say 'lo tu' su je' i.e go fetch yam and eat .
standard yoruba is 'mu' while our dialect and Ondo is 'tu'

i

2 Likes

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by Nobody: 2:07pm On Dec 07, 2017
onuwaje:

Nah!

Onetuwaje

uwa also means wealth in bini

1 Like

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by scholes0(m): 11:16pm On Nov 14, 2018

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by scholes0(m): 11:29pm On Nov 14, 2018
bigfrancis21:

First, Itshekiri is not a yoruba dialect. It is a full language on its own. Second, there is not but one bit of Itshekiri trace in Rivers state. Or, is this your sleek way of trying to claim oil-rich Rivers State? undecided

loooool....

Ika, and even Izzi, Ezza, Afikpo, Ekpeye e.tc that are not even mutually intelligible to igbo are Igbo dialects according to this guy.... while Itsekiri is a Language (which I agree to btw)

1 Like

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by spiralwedge(m): 3:51am On Nov 15, 2018
HERE IS THE LIST AND WHERE THE SPEAKERS CAN BE FOUND:

Egba- (OGUN STATE)

Oyo- (OYO STATE AND BENIN REPUBLIC)

Igbomina- (OSUN, KWARA, ONDO, KOGI STATES AND BENIN REPUBLIC)

Okun- (KOGI, ONDO, EKITI STATES)

Itshekiri- (DELTA AND RIVERS STATES)

Ijebu- (OGUN AND LAGOS)

Iseyin- (OYO STATE)

Owu- (OGUN AND OSUN STATE)

Anago- (BENIN REPUBLIC)

Ibolo- (OSUN AND KWARA STATES)

Awori- (LAGOS AND OGUN STATE)

Yewa- (OGUN STATE)

Ekiti- (EKITI AND KWARA STATES)

Ijesa- (OSUN STATE)

Ilorin- (KWARA STATE)

Akoko- (EDO AND ONDO STATES)

Ilaje- (ONDO STATE)

Ife- (OSUN STATE).

Please, there is one dialect I can't remember: They are very close to the ilaje's in Ondo State. If you know it, please, fill the gas.

THANKS.

IKALE

1 Like

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by mrleky(m): 1:46pm On Nov 15, 2018
not only at ondo state they speak ILAJE oooo

1 Like

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by Toluobaeko11: 3:37pm On Nov 16, 2018
Akure dialect speaking in Akure, Iju, Itaogbolu, Igbara-oke, Ijare, Ilara-mokin
Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by lx3as(m): 6:18am On Nov 18, 2018
Toluobaeko11:
Akure dialect speaking in Akure, Iju, Itaogbolu, Igbara-oke, Ijare, Ilara-mokin

That would be recent creation.

The three LGAs are simply part of greater Ekiti, also Oke-Ero and Ekiti LGAs in Kwara. Although that would be cool, Ekiti and Ijesa were almost inseparable before also. However to Ondo Ekimogun people, they only share boundary with Ekitis and Akokos in this axis not Akure.
Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by 9jakool: 6:57am On Nov 18, 2018
scholes0:
Ok I have a lot of questions. I'm working on a very detailed map of Yoruba dialects. I've researched into the nitty-gritty of boundary split for dialect/subgroup division.

1.) Is Owu even spoken as it used to anymore? The only LGA I know of where you can find significant native remnant is in Aiyedaade LGA South of Gbongan.

2.) Would you consider Ilorin a separate dialect or would you say it's still Oyo seeing that it grew from Oyo dialect? Also where would you draw the boundary for Oyo/Ilorin in Kwara?

3.) Likewise how would you class the people in northern Osun state? Where would you place Iwo and Osogbo? Personally I think Iwo is closer to Oyo.

4.) Actually that map is inclusive of the main groups, but there is a dialect north of Ana that doesn't have a distinct name, most linguist call it Kambole or Manigri or Northern Nago. It's spoken between Kambole in Togo and Bassila in Benin.
Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by scholes0(m): 9:51am On Nov 18, 2018
9jakool:

Ok I have a lot of questions. I'm working on a very detailed map of Yoruba dialects. I've researched into the nitty-gritty of boundary split for dialect/subgroup division.

1.) Is Owu even spoken as it used to anymore? The only LGA I know of where you can find significant native remnant is in Aiyedaade LGA South of Gbongan.

2.) Would you consider Ilorin a separate dialect or would you say it's still Oyo seeing that it grew from Oyo dialect? Also where would you draw the boundary for Oyo/Ilorin in Kwara?

3.) Likewise how would you class the people in northern Osun state? Where would you place Iwo and Osogbo? Personally I think Iwo is closer to Oyo.

4.) Actually that map is inclusive of the main groups, but there is a dialect north of Ana that doesn't have a distinct name, most linguist call it Kambole or Manigri or Northern Nago. It's spoken between Kambole in Togo and Bassila in Benin.

1) Owus were decimated as you know.. no need to go into the history, although there are still a few villages, Ago Owu, Orile owu, Araromi, kajola etc are still there like you rightly pointed out, then there are owu sections of Abeokuta North and Abeokuta South lgas

2) Ilorin can not be a seperate dialect at all, everything about it points towards Oyo Yoruba. In parts of Ilorin east and Ilorin south, there is some igbomina influence. really there is no boundary between Oyo and Ilorin in Kwara, Ilorin is Oyo speaking, the other Yoruba groups there being the Igbolo, Igbomina, Ekiti and Yagba. Not even sure if there is anything like "Ilorin Yoruba" except you are using it in the same context as one would use Ibadan Yoruba, Lokoja Yoruba or Akure Yoruba.

3) Northern Osun state has the Oyos: (Iwo, Ejigbo, Ife Odan, Ikire), Igbolos: (Okuku, Inisha, Igbaye ad numerous villages including Offa and environs in Kwara of course), Igbominas: ( Ila Orangun, Oke Ila, Ora igbomina and co)
I am guessing these are the groups you are referring to as northern Osun state, otherwise the fourth groups would be the Ijeshas in Ibokun, Esa Oke, Imesi ile and co, which are all quite northerly).
Osogbo on it own part seem to have been heavily ijesa early in its history, however the Oyo became dominant when a very large number of them continued streaming into the city due to all the constant fighting (internecine wars), and especially after the collapse of Oyo. They speak Oyo now.

4)Northern Nago is different from both Manigri-Kambole-Bassila-Kikele and Ana, there three different varieties, Anas are in Anie (Ana) town, Kamina, Elavagnon, Atakpame,
Even south of Atakpame there are still Ana-yorubas like those in Glei, Esse Ana, Buko etc and those in the region of Tokpli.
On another note, i am not sure if mokole in the faaar North (Kandi, Benin) can actually be considered a proper Yoruba dialect. It can't even show on this map using this same scale.

Then there is Ijaiye dialect that is in the same situation as Owu. There are also groups of Non Yoruba origin that are practically Yorubas now. Don't know how to classify their dialects. Good examples are Apois, some Baribas, Ogoris, Nigerian Güns, Some Akoko Edos. Et.c
They probably all speak the General variety.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by ImperialYoruba: 1:01am On Dec 14, 2018
HERE IS THE LIST AND WHERE THE SPEAKERS CAN BE FOUND:

Egba- (OGUN STATE)

Oyo- (OYO STATE AND BENIN REPUBLIC)

Igbomina- (OSUN, KWARA, ONDO, KOGI STATES AND BENIN REPUBLIC)

Okun- (KOGI, ONDO, EKITI STATES)

Itshekiri- (DELTA AND RIVERS STATES)

Ijebu- (OGUN AND LAGOS)

Iseyin- (OYO STATE)

Owu- (OGUN AND OSUN STATE)

Anago- (BENIN REPUBLIC)

Ibolo- (OSUN AND KWARA STATES)

Awori- (LAGOS AND OGUN STATE)

Yewa- (OGUN STATE)

Ekiti- (EKITI AND KWARA STATES)

Ijesa- (OSUN STATE)

Ilorin- (KWARA STATE)

Akoko- (EDO AND ONDO STATES)

Ilaje- (ONDO STATE)

Ife- (OSUN STATE).

Please, there is one dialect I can't remember: They are very close to the ilaje's in Ondo State. If you know it, please, fill the gas.

THANKS.

YES, Lukumi!

Lukumi in Anioma, Delta State.
Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by 9jakool: 9:04pm On Dec 18, 2018
scholes0:

1) Owus were decimated as you know.. no need to go into the history, although there are still a few villages, Ago Owu, Orile owu, Araromi, kajola etc are still there like you rightly pointed out, then there are owu sections of Abeokuta North and Abeokuta South lgas.
Yes the Owu population was decimated, but sometimes I feel like people think Owus are completely extinct in their original territory, which isn't true.

2) Ilorin can not be a seperate dialect at all, everything about it points towards Oyo Yoruba. In parts of Ilorin east and Ilorin south, there is some igbomina influence. really there is no boundary between Oyo and Ilorin in Kwara, Ilorin is Oyo speaking, the other Yoruba groups there being the Igbolo, Igbomina, Ekiti and Yagba. Not even sure if there is anything like "Ilorin Yoruba" except you are using it in the same context as one would use Ibadan Yoruba, Lokoja Yoruba or Akure Yoruba.

By that standard, Lagos Yoruba would fall under that category, which I agree with. Also, languages and dialects aren't meant to be stagnant as they evolve overtime. The urban areas have developed their own unique speech, so I agree with you. Those urban dialects are derivatives of the historic dialects and thus fall under their classification.

3) Northern Osun state has the Oyos: (Iwo, Ejigbo, Ife Odan, Ikire), Igbolos: (Okuku, Inisha, Igbaye ad numerous villages including Offa and environs in Kwara of course), Igbominas: ( Ila Orangun, Oke Ila, Ora igbomina and co)
I am guessing these are the groups you are referring to as northern Osun state, otherwise the fourth groups would be the Ijeshas in Ibokun, Esa Oke, Imesi ile and co, which are all quite northerly).
Osogbo on it own part seem to have been heavily ijesa early in its history, however the Oyo became dominant when a very large number of them continued streaming into the city due to all the constant fighting (internecine wars), and especially after the collapse of Oyo. They speak Oyo now.

Actually, Northern Osun is much more complex than that. According to history, shortly after its foundation, Osogbo was absorbed under Ibolo, not under Oyo proper. You should also know that Ibolo territories goes beyond Offa and the adjacent areas you mentioned. If you look at the history, then you would know that Iresa, situated between Ogbomosho and Ejigbo was the most prominent Ibolo town before Offa became the HQ. Traditionally, Ibolo territory also includes Ede, Ilobu, Ikirun, and Ejigbo. However, the people from Iwo down south to Ikire, Gbogan as well as the areas to the West of Iwo are Oyo.

4)Northern Nago is different from both Manigri-Kambole-Bassila-Kikele and Ana, there three different varieties, Anas are in Anie (Ana) town, Kamina, Elavagnon, Atakpame,
Even south of Atakpame there are still Ana-yorubas like those in Glei, Esse Ana, Buko etc and those in the region of Tokpli.
On another note, i am not sure if mokole in the faaar North (Kandi, Benin) can actually be considered a proper Yoruba dialect. It can't even show on this map using this same scale.

Then there is Ijaiye dialect that is in the same situation as Owu. There are also groups of Non Yoruba origin that are practically Yorubas now. Don't know how to classify their dialects. Good examples are Apois, some Baribas, Ogoris, Nigerian Güns, Some Akoko Edos. Et.c
They probably all speak the General variety

Northern Nago according to Ethnologue refers to the variety of Yoruba spoken in Kambole, Bassila,and Mangri. The people are one of the least centralized in comparison to other Yoruba groups so it makes sense that their is no real collective term to identify the people. The Northern Nago terminogy is used to differentiate it from the Nago dialect and people of Pobe, Ifonyi and Ipokia.

Even though Mokole has significantly diverged from Yoruba proper, if you look at its classification, it falls closer to Yoruba proper than the other dialects like Idasa or Nago despite the similarities. This is because Mokole language directly descended from an older form of Oyo Yoruba. Similarly like Olukwumi, it diverged from a dialect of Yoruba proper.
Their name "mokole" means to "reject home" which makes sense considering they fled from Oyo a few hundreds years ago. The dialect however despite its close origin with Oyo Yoruba has diverged significantly and it even incorporates Bariba vocabulary which makes it less intelligible.

Did Ijaiye have its own dialect? I thought it was originally founded in Egba Gbagura territory like Ibadan.
The groups you listed like Bariba, Ogori, and Guns speak General Yoruba with their own unique accent with addition to their native tongue except for the Apoi. Apois in Ondo unlike the other groups actually don't have their own language as it was lost ages ago. Apois in Ondo actually have developed their own unique dialect which is grouped with SEY dialects.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by babtoundey(m): 11:28pm On Dec 21, 2018
There are too many okuns on nairaland. Wonder why one don't get to see them around until one visits Kogi.
Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by scholes0(m): 11:51pm On Dec 21, 2018
babtoundey:
There are too many okuns on nairaland. Wonder why one don't get to see them around until one visits Kogi.

Because many of them are in the North...Kaduna, Jos, Minna, Etc.
They are in the West too, but probably more in the North + Kogi state of course.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply)

Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? / Remember Babalorisa Tyomolu, Dopest Babalawo? He is Still Stunting! / Igbo Name For Fruits

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.