Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,760 members, 7,824,182 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:17 AM

Small Yams For Dowry - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Small Yams For Dowry (857 Views)

Corper Divorces Her Husband In Jos, Refunds N80K Dowry / He Started Beating Me 4 Days After Paying My Dowry / What Is The Different Between Dowry And Bride Price? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Small Yams For Dowry by heavyg(m): 1:39pm On Apr 22, 2015
I asked a family friend to help me purchase the yams
Which make up the dowry I will be presenting to my wife's
people.
I later found out that the yams are normal sized and
sinewy. Does this matter? As in does the size matter?
Though the number of yams they asked for is twice the
normal amount because of their culture...

Im asking because I wouldn't want to be disgraced on that day.

Please leave this in family section as I don't want my thread ridiculed on front page.
Re: Small Yams For Dowry by kweenkong(f): 2:03pm On Apr 22, 2015
To save face i would advice you buy 15 tubers of carefully selected yams , as in very big sized yams , remove the smallest from the set ur friend bought and replace them with the few once you just bought.
Re: Small Yams For Dowry by heavyg(m): 2:12pm On Apr 22, 2015
^
Thank you.

I'm actually worried. I've put in alot of work/stress into this. Don't want to be made a laughing stock.

Also, is there need to put really expensive clothing materials in her bridal box. Will the box be inspected? My folks have told me not to worry.
But I don't know What happens in her tribe....
Re: Small Yams For Dowry by Droyal(f): 8:28am On Apr 23, 2015
OP I guess your fiancee is Yoruba.

I suppose you should consult with your wife on the type of clothes she wants. It might even be better if your wife chooses her self since she will be the one to wear them.

Some husband families can give the wife the money to choose get them herself.

Some families decide to buy the clothes themselves without input of the wife.

You can also go with a wife of a friend to get the clothes.

But since you are spending your money consult with your wife and you guys may go together,she chooses what she wants,you pay and then you take them home and place in the box. This is just to ensure the clothes is her choice.

Honestly it all depends on you and how you and your folks want to go about it.

About quality of materials, depends on your pocket ooo. Just make sure theres at least 3 high quality materials and then you can supplement with other ones. But if you have got lots to spare you can spend a lot.

About the yams errm shivel looking yams is not too okay at all. Heed to the advice of the poster that suggested you buy about 15 big sized yams. The 15 will be part of the ones on the top, and the others are added as adjustment.

Well about inspection of box,its indirectly inspected by how heavy it is loool,
Just do what you can afford, dnt try to over impress ooo.

Just curious where are you from @ heavyg

(1) (Reply)

Archbishop Sam Amaga Scholarship For Orphans / Pls What Is The Difference Between.... / 69th Independence Day Essays In Hindi For School Students Kids 15 August

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.