Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,929 members, 7,824,904 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 08:40 PM

Successful Nigerian Academics In The Worlds Top Universities. - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Successful Nigerian Academics In The Worlds Top Universities. (64064 Views)

FUT Minna Expels 700 Students Over Poor Academics Performance / Are You Having A Tough Time In Your Academics?? Read My Story / Please Academics In The House Should Advice A Nairalander (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Successful Nigerian Academics In The Worlds Top Universities. by fpeter(f): 11:39pm On May 04, 2015
Igbo kwenu!!!!
Re: Successful Nigerian Academics In The Worlds Top Universities. by Nobody: 11:54pm On May 04, 2015
We are global players while others are trying to catch up but it will take them decades.
Re: Successful Nigerian Academics In The Worlds Top Universities. by yibobasher2: 12:07am On May 05, 2015
CaptainOjemba:
Kid go and learn, even till now the teaching hospital still bear university college hospital

Can you please challenge me to a debate here on nairaland? I pick 5 topics of my choice, you pick 5 topics of your choice. I will take the pain of opening a thread and invite you over. Fellow nairalanders shall be our judges

What an audacity you have to call me a kid.

1 Like

Re: Successful Nigerian Academics In The Worlds Top Universities. by birdman(m): 12:27am On May 05, 2015
igbo2011:
This is cool but what are they ding for Africa or global African people around the world? We need to rethink what success is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnOc9xBqHE4

for some of these guys, the best they will be able to do is act as a bridge for other african folk to get into the academic community and make contributions. the closest to a real impact is the dude that started afara systems. had he not sold his IP to Sun micro, he could have parlayed this into a billion dollar business. Then again, processors are capital intensive and I doublt he could have raised the capital needed to start his own gig. and most of these professors probably prefer to read and do research than spend time on a startup.

props to you though for seeing beyond the hype about degrees etc. what we need is real on-the-ground impact

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Successful Nigerian Academics In The Worlds Top Universities. by PhysicsQED(m): 12:45am On May 05, 2015
sonzo666:
I am surprised that African-americans are doing ways better than Nigerians in academics.I used to think that African-americans were lazy,stupid,etc......I was wrong!

Sylvester Gates:
Mathematician and physicist and second black person to be elected to the US sciences academy( the first being the late mathematician David Blackwell).Author of more than 200 papers of theoretical physics:

Clifford victor Johnson:Professor of astrophysics and author of over 100 papers in string theory.

Mark Dean:The only black IBM fellow!

You were indeed wrong to think that African-Americans were "lazy, stupid, etc. . ." No particular reason to assume that. However I would not say that African-Americans are doing so much better than Nigerians in this area (science). Maybe a little better or maybe about equal.

Also, Clifford V. Johnson is not African American. His ancestry is from the Caribbean (the islands of Dominica and Montserrat) and his nationality is British, not American. He just works in America.

Also there is a Nigerian computer scientist by the name of Faye Briggs who was an Intel Fellow. You can look him up.

2 Likes

Re: Successful Nigerian Academics In The Worlds Top Universities. by KVN1(m): 12:53am On May 05, 2015
UNN to produce another great surgeon in the person of me
Re: Successful Nigerian Academics In The Worlds Top Universities. by funkiebully: 4:28am On May 05, 2015
[s]
BrosPeters:
Very skewed list. The OP purposely put more Igbos on the list

I am an Igbo man living in America and there is ABSOLUTELY no way that there are more Igbo academics than Yoruba academics in Diaspora- that is Yoruba territory!!!!

[/s]

Orlandowoh d elephant nose, u are not igbo and academic is not Yoruba territory, it was But now it is not.

Get that fact straight into ur numbskull

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Successful Nigerian Academics In The Worlds Top Universities. by GboyegaD(m): 5:10am On May 05, 2015
There are many others in other continents as well.
Re: Successful Nigerian Academics In The Worlds Top Universities. by soldierdollar(m): 7:19am On May 05, 2015
twosquare:
OP(missclasssy) fall my hand big time!!! That list is watery without the super-academicians like Abiola Irele, Biodun Jeyifo, Pius Adesanmi et al....see ya list...though good but not enought..can sight Isidore Okpewho...but u no even mention Tanure Ojaide...shioor!!!

And Na only yorubas you come mention .

Anyway , those names are strange
Re: Successful Nigerian Academics In The Worlds Top Universities. by spenca: 7:44am On May 05, 2015
This is a joke where is JACOB OLUPONA OF HAVARD UNIVERSITY!?
Re: Successful Nigerian Academics In The Worlds Top Universities. by tonychristopher: 8:50am On May 05, 2015
Seriallinks:

Just because majority of them are Igbos doesn't make them smarter than other tribes! The research looks biased and one sided to me; if you notice, 95% of the Profs either studied or are teaching in the US...What about other academicians of Nigerian descent in the UK and other advanced Countries/top Universities around the globe?

And for the fact that it's only one Prof from the whole of Northern Nigeria shows how biased and shallow the OP's research was!

Mtchew!

Okay take a look at the lates list

This list right here was released by the West African Examinations Council Last year, ranking the best performing states in their exams.
You see that up there? Now, that is the reality staring right back at you and your foolish, baseless, mediocre intellect
See, the difference between me and you is that I deal with facts, not empty talk, and I Know it hurts real bad to watch your fantasy burn completely, but it is what it is

I hope you can see in that list how Osun and Oyo states are ranked 22nd and 24th respectively, even behind KANO state
Was that also an Igbo man who caused your failure?

KING’S COLLEGE LAGOS: 2014/15 JS1(one) ADMISSION EXAM MERIT LIST
The Federal Ministry of Education conducted an examination to select students for admission into Junior Secondary One (JS1). A total of 192 student passed purely based on merit (Merit List), while a total of 141 were admitted based on State Quota System. Below graph shows how the geopolitical regions performed on the examination.
Region: (Merit Pass) % Merit Pass
South-East: (72) 37.5%
South-West: (65) 33.9%
South-South: (34) 17.7%
North-Central: (16) 8.3%
North-East: (3) 1.6%
North-West: (2) 1.0%

Out of the top 20 performing candidates, the SE grabbed 75%

On the top 50 out of 192 Merit List, SE (48%), SS (32%), SW (12%), NC (4%), NE (2%), NW (2%).

To view the detailed result click on the link below:

http://www.kingscollegelagos.com/images/KC2014.pdf

NOW FIGURES AND STATISTICS DONT LIE

PLS RESPECT THE IGBOS, THEY ARE AFRICVAN JEWS

HOW DID WE END UP IN THE SAME COUNTRY...NO WONDER THEY DONT WANT US TO GO

2 Likes

Re: Successful Nigerian Academics In The Worlds Top Universities. by twosquare(m): 9:31am On May 05, 2015
soldierdollar:

And Na only yorubas you come mention .

Anyway , those names are strange
search it out, and I wonder when Tanure Ojaide became a Yoruba man or Isidore Okpewho
Re: Successful Nigerian Academics In The Worlds Top Universities. by Fellonigerians: 9:59am On May 05, 2015
Na waaooo... Reading posts of many people on this our Nairaland, you would think that Igbo people are only known for 419 and drug pushing, but see as them full for this list of successful academicians...

Nigeria is our country, so we must learn to live with and love one another, no matter our tribe, religion or social class... Every tribe has their good and bad eggs, but at the end of the day, we are all Nigerians... We cannot progress without one another...

Nigeria we hail thee, Nigerians I hail thee!!!
Re: Successful Nigerian Academics In The Worlds Top Universities. by tonychristopher: 10:41am On May 05, 2015
we can progress without some people and that is why IGBO want out of this hell hole and they bhave been working and shouting they want out

People are just been setback in Nigerian the Born To Rules and sophisticated tribes

So we have no like minds with them

can igbo leave pls

Fellonigerians:
Na waaooo... Reading posts of many people on this our Nairaland, you would think that Igbo people are only known for 419 and drug pushing, but see as them full for this list of successful academicians...

Nigeria is our country, so we must learn to live with and love one another, no matter our tribe, religion or social class... Every tribe has their good and bad eggs, but at the end of the day, we are all Nigerians... We cannot progress without one another...

Nigeria we hail thee, Nigerians I hail thee!!!
Re: Successful Nigerian Academics In The Worlds Top Universities. by purplekayc(m): 10:48am On May 05, 2015
Were is philip emeagwali?

1 Like

Re: Successful Nigerian Academics In The Worlds Top Universities. by akigbemaru: 11:19am On May 05, 2015
Nigerian acADEMICIANS IN THE WOORLD
Re: Successful Nigerian Academics In The Worlds Top Universities. by uchenageme(m): 11:21am On May 05, 2015
tonychristopher:

This list right here was released by the West African Examinations Council Last year, ranking the best performing states in their exams.
You see that up there? Now, that is the reality staring right back at you and your foolish, baseless, mediocre intellect
See, the difference between me and you is that I deal with facts, not empty talk, and I Know it hurts real bad to watch your fantasy burn completely, but it is what it is

I hope you can see in that list how Osun and Oyo states are ranked 22nd and 24th respectively, even behind KANO state

The Federal Ministry of Education conducted an examination to select students for admission into Junior Secondary One (JS1). A total of 192 student passed purely based on merit (Merit List), while a total of 141 were admitted based on State Quota System. Below graph shows how the geopolitical regions performed on the examination.

On the top 50 out of 192 Merit List, SE (48%), SS (32%), SW (12%), NC (4%), NE (2%), NW (2%).

Bros this is mean. I was enjoying all the bashing and then you went and posted this. Now you have succeeded in closing the thread. Are you happy now?
Re: Successful Nigerian Academics In The Worlds Top Universities. by tonychristopher: 11:30am On May 05, 2015
my brothers, facts are SACROSANCT...we have to put them where they belong

uchenageme:

Bros this is mean. I was enjoying all the bashing and then you went and posted this. Now you have succeeded in closing the thread. Are you happy now?
Re: Successful Nigerian Academics In The Worlds Top Universities. by Nobody: 1:09pm On May 05, 2015
Ilekeh no go gree ;DIlekeh no go gree
Re: Successful Nigerian Academics In The Worlds Top Universities. by ibnhasan: 1:58pm On May 05, 2015
This List is obviously incomplete. There are way many more Nigerian professors in US than this lists shows. And you definitely cannot say there are more Igbo academics in the US than any other tribe.

Without doing any research I can name at least 5 highly accomplished non-igbo Nigerian professors who are not on this list.

Winston Soboyejo- Professor at Princeton University
http://www.princeton.edu/mae/people/faculty/soboyejo/

Babatunde Ogunnaike - Professor University of Delaware
http://www.che.udel.edu/directory/facultyprofile.html?id=325

Samuel Osisanya - Professor Okhlahoma University (retired)
http://www.pi.ac.ae/pi_aca/pe/faculty_staff/sosisanya.php

Niyi Osundare - Distinguished Professor University of New Orleans
http://www.uno.edu/cola/english/faculty/niyi-osundare.aspx

Pius Adesanmi - Associate Professor and Winner of the Penguin Prize for African Writing Carleton University
https://carleton.ca/english/people/adesanmi-pius/

John Dabiri - Professor California Institute of Technology
http://dabiri.caltech.edu/people/dabiri.html

I am sure there are many many more, but I don't have the time to look them up.

You Igbo ethnic jingoist need to get over yourselves. You should really be ashamed that for all your acclaimed smartness, your states are some of the worst governed in Nigeria, Abia, Ebonyi, Enugu... You can't even run your states properly and you think you can run an entire country.

I have no problem with you wanting Biafra, but don't say its because of your intellectual supreriority or because you are better than other people. Anambra, Enugu, Abia, Ebonyi, Imo are Igbo states governed by Igbos. By looking at those states we already have an idea of what an Igbo republic will look like.

Its a good thing that we find Igbos excelling in many different fields today but don't ruin this moment with your empty boasts of superiority.

2 Likes

Re: Successful Nigerian Academics In The Worlds Top Universities. by Fellonigerians: 6:40pm On May 05, 2015
tonychristopher:
we can progress without some people and that is why IGBO want out of this hell hole and they bhave been working and shouting they want out

People are just been setback in Nigerian the Born To Rules and sophisticated tribes

So we have no like minds with them

can igbo leave pls

How do you plan to survive if you leave Nigeria?? have you looked at the map?? Which states are actually 'leaving?'
Re: Successful Nigerian Academics In The Worlds Top Universities. by demavict(m): 7:52pm On May 05, 2015
whizqueen:
I'm gonna be in that category some day cool
#workingonmaself
what is field of study?
Re: Successful Nigerian Academics In The Worlds Top Universities. by FOREXMARTS: 1:33pm On May 06, 2015
driand:
Why are 70% of the entire list my brethren, IGBO unu siri Ike.

Some way somehow i just knew someone would post an ethnical comment and before i could say jack robinson there u were lol. Make Una take am easy.
Re: Successful Nigerian Academics In The Worlds Top Universities. by driand(m): 1:35pm On May 06, 2015
FOREXMARTS:

Some way somehow i just knew someone would post an ethnical comment and before i could say jack robinson there u were lol. Make Una take am easy.
bro that's NL for you,
Re: Successful Nigerian Academics In The Worlds Top Universities. by driand(m): 1:44pm On May 06, 2015
tonychristopher:

but how did we(igbo) end up in the same country with these dullards, I bet when you get to the none SE States e.g Lagos with high performance and investigate you'll find out the people making the actual high score are igbos,

1 Like

Re: Successful Nigerian Academics In The Worlds Top Universities. by purplekayc(m): 2:04pm On May 06, 2015
Re: Successful Nigerian Academics In The Worlds Top Universities. by ibnhasan: 11:15pm On May 22, 2015
driand:
but how did we(igbo) end up in the same country with these dullards, I bet when you get to the none SE States e.g Lagos with high performance and investigate you'll find out the people making the actual high score are igbos,

Aba is one of the most important Ibo city but the also one of the worst interms of infrastructure in the entire country. If you were so smart how come your states are so shitty? Nonsense.
Re: Successful Nigerian Academics In The Worlds Top Universities. by Proffdada: 10:24am On May 29, 2015
tonychristopher:
but he said the fact...i thought igbos ARE TRADERS...Hmm what happened

ah ah what happen na

no mind me, just that i have comer to believe igbos are good

it's just a list of the known
Re: Successful Nigerian Academics In The Worlds Top Universities. by Proffdada: 10:28am On May 29, 2015
tonychristopher:

there's a difference between wisdom and knowledge
Re: Successful Nigerian Academics In The Worlds Top Universities. by tonychristopher: 10:42am On May 29, 2015
Proffdada:
there's a difference between wisdom and knowledge

Pls educate me
Re: Successful Nigerian Academics In The Worlds Top Universities. by Proffdada: 10:44am On May 29, 2015
tonychristopher:

Pls educate me
wisdom is application of knowledge
Knowing much without good application is like dying of thirst in an ocean

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Lady Who Turned A Stripper To Pay Her School Fees Celebrates Graduation (Photos) / 8 Words We Pronounce Wrongly Everyday – Everyone Is Guilty Of No 5 / Medicine, Pharmacy, Nursing, Medical Laboratory Science, Or Physiotherapy?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.