Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,563 members, 7,820,034 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:44 AM

Yoruba Cities, Towns And Villages- What Do Their Names Mean? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Yoruba Cities, Towns And Villages- What Do Their Names Mean? (17475 Views)

Towns In Mahin Kingdom(ilajeland) By Olasemojo Olabamigbe John. / Origin And History Of Anambra Towns / Major Ijaw Cities And Towns In Nigeria: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yoruba Cities, Towns And Villages- What Do Their Names Mean? by Rendezvou: 5:53pm On Apr 24, 2015
Each time I travel to any city/town/village in the southwest, I always try to decipher the meaning of the name of the town. It would not be a surprise that many 'Omo Odua' would start scratching their jaws or heads if asked to tell what their town's name means and its origin in this age of civilization where the youths and children are bidding their culture (especially their Language/Dialect) farewell. I also find myself guilty of this in a sense (I do not know the meaning of the name of my mother's village and so many other southwest towns and cities).

I know there are many graduates of Yoruba Language, History and researchers here that would help us out. Please let us write as many as we know. I will like to state that I stand to be corrected if you find any wrong interpretation or inappropriate choice of word in the interpretation.

Ogbomosho- from 'Ogbo ri Elemosho' meaning The carrier of the head of Elemosho (A man terrorizing the villagers who was later beheaded)
Abeokuta- Under the stone/rock
Ibadan- from 'Ẹ̀bá-Ọ̀dàn' which means 'border town of a grassy terrain with trees'
Ilorin- from 'Okuta ilo irin' which means 'stone for sharpening metals'
Egbeda- from 'Egbe jo da' meaning 'collectively achieved/made/contributed by group/peer'
Ile Ife- 'the land/place where spreading began'
Ebutte Meta - Three harbors/ports
Ajegunle - Land/home of wealth/money
Owo- Honour
Akure-
Ojota-
Offa-
Idimu-
Ikotun-
Oshogbo-
Oyo-
Ikirun-
Iseyin-
Ifako-
Oro-
Ijegun-
Ikoyi-
Shaki-
Modakeke- 'I remain so quiet and calm'
Ejigbo-
Iwo-
Ikire-
Ede-
Omu Aran-
Ondo-
Ishagamu-
Ibafo-
Iperu-
Abule Egba - 'village of the Egba people'
Ilaro-
Ewekoro- 'leave is bitter'
Ijaniki-
Ilupeju- 'Everyone (all villagers/representatives) is present'
Oshodi-
Agege-
Mushin-
Idi Araba- 'Under a tree (Araba tree)'
Ikorodu-
Owode- 'money has arrive'
Ojota-
Oworonshoki-
Kabba-
Ikare-
Ikere-
Ado Ekiti-
Iyin ekiti-
Ifaki-
Oye Ekiti-
Igbeti-
Ajase-
Shomolu-
Egbe-
Otun Ekiti-
Iju Ishaga-
Ipaja-
Epe-
Akoko
Ilesha- from ' ile awon ti asa' meaning 'home (Ile) of the selected (sha/sa) ones or people.

...and so on.

Pls add Yoruba cities, towns and villages and the meanings of their names.

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba Cities, Towns And Villages- What Do Their Names Mean? by Rendezvou: 5:54pm On Apr 24, 2015
Ojuelegba- from 'Oju Elegba' meaning 'the spot or shrine (oju) of Elegba ( a deity).

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Cities, Towns And Villages- What Do Their Names Mean? by dominique(f): 6:06pm On Apr 24, 2015
Op you tried with the ones you wrote o, I just learnt a thing or two.

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Cities, Towns And Villages- What Do Their Names Mean? by Nobody: 6:45pm On Apr 24, 2015
pls help, what does ekiti means how can I relate it to my mentor FAYOSE (aka Mr. unpredictable)
Re: Yoruba Cities, Towns And Villages- What Do Their Names Mean? by Emmatdayo(m): 7:18pm On Apr 24, 2015
Let me buy land here,incase it makes fp
Re: Yoruba Cities, Towns And Villages- What Do Their Names Mean? by Angelou(m): 7:40pm On Apr 24, 2015
I SMELL FP
Re: Yoruba Cities, Towns And Villages- What Do Their Names Mean? by absoluteSuccess: 9:04pm On Apr 24, 2015
unpredictedone:
pls help, what does ekiti means how can I relate it to my mentor FAYOSE (aka Mr. unpredictable)
E (this) Ki (wont) ti (push), as in 'Okiti' (Yoruba will say Okiti Ogan, ori ara e nii jin le). Ekiti is meant to connote bravery and to imply an unbreakable wrestler, as found in the folksong 'Akiti lole ja o, ija lolejah'. Akiti is 'aki-i-ti' (tough to be pushed). From this, E KI TI simply means 'the immovable one' or ' the steadfast' which is how Yoruba sees hill.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Cities, Towns And Villages- What Do Their Names Mean? by Rendezvou: 10:26pm On Apr 24, 2015
absoluteSuccess:
E (this) Ki (wont) ti (push), as in 'Okiti' (Yoruba will say Okiti Ogan, ori ara e nii jin le). Ekiti is meant to connote bravery and to imply an unbreakable wrestler, as found in the folksong 'Akiti lole ja o, ija lolejah'. Akiti is 'aki-i-ti' (tough to be pushed). From this, E KI TI simply means 'the immovable one' or ' the steadfast' which is how Yoruba sees hill.
This is a nice one. Pls help with some others on the list in the op or any other not mentioned.
Re: Yoruba Cities, Towns And Villages- What Do Their Names Mean? by absoluteSuccess: 10:57pm On Apr 24, 2015
AKURE: A (we shall...) ku (die) Re (snaps). What this mean is that the notion that 'we shall die has snapped'. The full statement is 'Akure Oloye M'ekun' that is 'Akure, the intelligent (or chieftain, survivor) lion whelp'. This statement can be traced to the ancient Yoruba explorers who were thought to be doomed, but the mariners believe in 'Ikare' (Iku a re; death shall be weaken). They were known as Cotonu, the mortal mariners elsewhere. One of them was Oba Ado, (their mouthpiece) who said 'awa donile, a o kumo...' in Odu Ose Meji. 'Ewu are' ('ehu', Fon for killer, 'are'- Yoruba for 'pass over' or 'escape' forms a semantic-amalgam, ewuare) this conceal the same notion as Ikare, as found in the saying: Iku a rewa kete, arun a rewa kete.

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba Cities, Towns And Villages- What Do Their Names Mean? by Rendezvou: 12:04am On Apr 25, 2015
IJESA- from “Ijo awon ti asa” meaning “the council of selected people” later shortened to Ijesa/Ijesha.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Cities, Towns And Villages- What Do Their Names Mean? by Rendezvou: 8:17pm On May 11, 2015
Offa- Derived from the name 'Olalomi Olofagangan' a descendant of Oduduwa who first settled in Offa. Ofa means bow and arrow in Yoruba, from which Olofagangan was coined because he was a hunter known for making and using Ofa (bow and arrow).

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Cities, Towns And Villages- What Do Their Names Mean? by cooldipo(m): 3:41pm On Mar 25, 2016
Rendezvou:
Each time I travel to any city/town/village in the southwest, I always try to decipher the meaning of the name of the town. It would not be a surprise that many 'Omo Odua' would start scratching their jaws or heads if asked to tell what their town's name means and its origin in this age of civilization where the youths and children are bidding their culture (especially their Language/Dialect) farewell. I also find myself guilty of this in a sense (I do not know the meaning of the name of my mother's village and so many other southwest towns and cities).

I know there are many graduates of Yoruba Language, History and researchers here that would help us out. Please let us write as many as we know. I will like to state that I stand to be corrected if you find any wrong interpretation or inappropriate choice of word in the interpretation.

Ogbomosho- from 'Ogbo ri Elemosho' meaning The carrier of the head of Elemosho (A man terrorizing the villagers who was later beheaded)
Abeokuta- Under the stone/rock
Ibadan- from 'Ẹ̀bá-Ọ̀dàn' which means 'border town of a grassy terrain with trees'
Ilorin- from 'Okuta ilo irin' which means 'stone for sharpening metals'
Egbeda- from 'Egbe jo da' meaning 'collectively achieved/made/contributed by group/peer'
Ile Ife- 'the land/place where spreading began'
Ebutte Meta - Three harbors/ports
Ajegunle - Land/home of wealth/money
Owo- Honour
Akure-
Ojota-
Offa-
Idimu-
Ikotun-
Oshogbo-
Oyo-
Ikirun-
Iseyin-
Ifako-
Oro-
Ijegun-
Ikoyi-
Shaki-
Modakeke- 'I remain so quiet and calm'
Ejigbo-
Iwo-
Ikire-
Ede-
Omu Aran-
Ondo-
Ishagamu-
Ibafo-
Iperu-
Abule Egba - 'village of the Egba people'
Ilaro-
Ewekoro- 'leave is bitter'
Ijaniki-
Ilupeju- 'Everyone (all villagers/representatives) is present'
Oshodi-
Agege-
Mushin-
Idi Araba- 'Under a tree (Araba tree)'
Ikorodu-
Owode- 'money has arrive'
Ojota-
Oworonshoki-
Kabba-
Ikare-
Ikere-
Ado Ekiti-
Iyin ekiti-
Ifaki-
Oye Ekiti-
Igbeti-
Ajase-
Shomolu-
Egbe-
Otun Ekiti-
Iju Ishaga-
Ipaja-
Epe-
Akoko
Ilesha- from ' ile awon ti asa' meaning 'home (Ile) of the selected (sha/sa) ones or people.

...and so on.

Pls add Yoruba cities, towns and villages and the meanings of their names.

Ifaki from 'Ifa' (lucky pick) 'eki' (white fabric)
Akure from 'Akun' (royal bead) 're' (cut)

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Cities, Towns And Villages- What Do Their Names Mean? by Cyojunior(m): 11:05am On Mar 27, 2016
IGBONLA - which means a very large place filled with bushes

Igbonla is very beautiful small town located in the southern part of kwara state. Precisely igbomina land.

Proudly igbonlite
Re: Yoruba Cities, Towns And Villages- What Do Their Names Mean? by lawani: 5:23am On Jan 23, 2017
Rendezvou:
IJESA- from “Ijo awon ti asa” meaning “the council of selected people” later shortened to Ijesa/Ijesha.

Ile esa is Ilesa, Ijo esa is Ijesa. Esa means simply carefully selected people or elites.
Re: Yoruba Cities, Towns And Villages- What Do Their Names Mean? by lawani: 5:27am On Jan 23, 2017
Rendezvou:
Offa- Derived from the name 'Olalomi Olofagangan' a descendant of Oduduwa who first settled in Offa. Ofa means bow and arrow in Yoruba, from which Olofagangan was coined because he was a hunter known for making and using Ofa (bow and arrow).

but Ofa (re do) meaning arrow is quite different from Ofa (do do) which is the town name!. They are not same words!. If Ofa is arrow, what is Oje then?. Please research more.
Re: Yoruba Cities, Towns And Villages- What Do Their Names Mean? by lawani: 5:36am On Jan 23, 2017
Re: Yoruba Cities, Towns And Villages- What Do Their Names Mean? by lawani: 5:38am On Jan 23, 2017
absoluteSuccess:
AKURE: A (we shall...) ku (die) Re (snaps). What this mean is that the notion that 'we shall die has snapped'. The full statement is 'Akure Oloye M'ekun' that is 'Akure, the intelligent (or chieftain, survivor) lion whelp'. This statement can be traced to the ancient Yoruba explorers who were thought to be doomed, but the mariners believe in 'Ikare' (Iku a re; death shall be weaken). They were known as Cotonu, the mortal mariners elsewhere. One of them was Oba Ado, (their mouthpiece) who said 'awa donile, a o kumo...' in Odu Ose Meji. 'Ewu are' ('ehu', Fon for killer, 'are'- Yoruba for 'pass over' or 'escape' forms a semantic-amalgam, ewuare) this conceal the same notion as Ikare, as found in the saying: Iku a rewa kete, arun a rewa kete.

Akun beads are a symbol of royalty. Akure is said to be Akun re meaning the beads snapped or the bead cut. Oloyemekun means literally the chief knew or encountered the lion. Lion here means a higher and much respected chief. I will say the chief in question may be Owa obokun Atakunmosa of Ijesa. The Ijesa monarch is called Ekun. Ekun in Yoruba actually means strong man. It means thesame in Kemitic Egyptian. The Ijesas call themselves Omo owa Omo ekun. Atakunmosa himself was called Ogere ekun. It was Atakunmosa that gave the title Owafadeji to his grandson the Akure king. Owafadeji shortened to Deji means the owa granted him a crown.

Then Ewu is Danger in Yoruba. When you say O ni ewu o! It means, it is dangerous or risky. Ewuare means Risk or danger will pass us over. It is not the re in Akure.

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Cities, Towns And Villages- What Do Their Names Mean? by baby124: 5:59am On Jan 23, 2017
Ilorin is Ile Erin- land of the elephants. We must have had elephants in that terrain a long time ago. Some other Yoruba proverbs include reference to elephants. So it's plausible

Ikoyi - oko yi - farm land. My guess is it connote onikoyi's farmland.

Ikotun - oko Otun - most likely a chiefs farm

Ikorodu - Ikorodu was always known to be a big farm land. It's meaning definitely has something to do with farming.

Egbeda - means the edge of something. You know a lot of these places had towns and rivers or deity's whose names are now lost.

Oshodi - that was named after Oshodi.

Ijaniki - site of a serious battle.

Shomolu - Osho- mo - olu - Osho deity was king/ their deity of choice and worship

Ijegun - this meaning connotes the importance of masquerades in that area

Mushin- is a short form of a longer name but will connote habitation of a place by a particular group. There is another place in Yorubaland called Ijebu-mushin

Idimu - Bottom of ... (you have to look at the topography of that area to understand the meaning)

Owode Owode-onirin) - The town/settlement of Owo ( not necessarily the owo people). They most likely specialized in iron work.

Oworonshoki - settled quickly by this same Owo group.

Ajase - aka Eegun people

Ipaja - apa-oja - market area

Ojota - Celebration/day of Ota. (Ota comes up in other areas like Sango-Ota and so on. It's must have had an important meaning)

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Cities, Towns And Villages- What Do Their Names Mean? by absoluteSuccess: 7:13am On Jan 23, 2017
lawani:

Akun beads are a symbol of royalty. Akure is said to be Akun re meaning the beads snapped or the bead cut. Oloyemekun means literally the chief knew or encountered the lion. Lion here means a higher and much respected chief. I will say the chief in question may be Owa obokun Atakunmosa of Ijesa. The Ijesa monarch is called Ekun. Ekun in Yoruba actually means strong man. It means thesame in Kemitic Egyptian. The Ijesas call themselves Omo owa Omo ekun. Atakunmosa himself was called Ogere ekun. It was Atakunmosa that gave the title Owafadeji to his grandson the Akure king. Owafadeji shortened to Deji means the owa granted him a crown.

Then Ewu is Danger in Yoruba. When you say O ni ewu o! It means, it is dangerous or risky. Ewuare means Risk or danger will pass us over. It is not the re in Akure.

What does ijesha means: the odyssey of the chosen.

What does owa means: the seekers, the incomers to a place.

What does atakumosa means: one who shove death and never flee.

What does owa-obokun means: seekers of a place that ends at sea.

What does ekun means: a roaring feline, either lion or leopard.

Ekun e maa fara sinko, iwaju ekun ina, eyin ekun oorun, aji gini arin gini...

Ologini is the equivalent of catwalk. Walking majestically like a lion.

Can a very important person 'fara sinko' (hide in the bush)?

Akure is of the same ideology as atakumosa, similar notion.
Re: Yoruba Cities, Towns And Villages- What Do Their Names Mean? by lawani: 7:35am On Jan 23, 2017
absoluteSuccess:

What does ijesha means: the odyssey of the chosen.

What does owa means: the seekers, the incomers to a place.

What does atakumosa means: one who shove death and never flee.

What does owa-obokun means: seekers of a place that ends at sea.

What does ekun means: a roaring feline, either lion or leopard.

Ekun e maa fara sinko, iwaju ekun ina, eyin ekun oorun, aji gini arin gini...

Ologini is the equivalent of catwalk. Walking majestically like a lion.

Can a very important person 'fara sinko' (hide in the bush)?

Akure is of the same ideology as atakumosa, similar notion.

Ijo just as used in church ijo irapada, ijo aguda, it means congregation. Esa means carefully selected. So Ijesa means congregation of elite. Let us just say Ekun means strong man, that is the real meaning before being applied to animal. In Egypt, it meant strong man just like Ijesas use it. Ijesas are called Omo Ekun which means children of the valiant.

Owa means newly arrived. Owa Obokun means the newly arrived king whose name is Obokun. Obokun is the alias of Oduduwa's son who got the brine to cure his blindness.

Atakunmosa, i think means Ati okun mo osa. He who got to the lagoon via the sea or knew the lagoon and the ocean. It is something to do with seafaring.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Cities, Towns And Villages- What Do Their Names Mean? by absoluteSuccess: 8:05am On Jan 23, 2017
lawani:

Ijo just as used in church ijo irapada, ijo aguda, it means congregation. Esa means carefully selected. So Ijesa means congregation of elite. Let us just say Ekun means strong man, that is the real meaning before being applied to animal. In Egypt, it meant strong man just like Ijesas use it. Ijesas are called Omo Ekun which means children of the valiant.

Owa means newly arrived. Owa Obokun means the newly arrived king whose name is Obokun. Obokun is the alias of Oduduwa's son who got the brine to cure his blindness.

Atakunmosa, i think means Ati okun mo osa. He who got to the lagoon via the sea or knew the lagoon and the ocean. It is something to do with seafaring.

Good, if ijesha is from ijo esha, then ijebu will be ijo ebu.

Good morning bro, its been a while.
Re: Yoruba Cities, Towns And Villages- What Do Their Names Mean? by lawani: 9:25am On Jan 23, 2017
absoluteSuccess:

Good, if ijesha is from ijo esha, then ijebu will be ijo ebu.

Good morning bro, its been a while.

it does not work like that cheesy. In Ijesa, we have towns Ijebu, Ijeda, Iwoye which some say mean The blood started flowing, The blood flow stopped, The wound healed. Ije, Uje or Eje meaning blood in that case. So it depends on what the custodians of the heritage says. The Ijebu name of Southern Yoruba probably has another meaning which will have to be told by them. If we say everything is Ijo, then what about Ijamo, Ijaregbe, Ijare, Ijanikin and many others?. So you have to ask those who own the name.

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Cities, Towns And Villages- What Do Their Names Mean? by absoluteSuccess: 3:19pm On Jan 23, 2017
lawani:

it does not work like that cheesy. In Ijesa, we have towns Ijebu, Ijeda, Iwoye which some say mean The blood started flowing, The blood flow stopped, The wound healed. Ije, Uje or Eje meaning blood in that case. So it depends on what the custodians of the heritage says. The Ijebu name of Southern Yoruba probably has another meaning which will have to be told by them. If we say everything is Ijo, then what about Ijamo, Ijaregbe, Ijare, Ijanikin and many others?. So you have to ask those who own the name.

You are equally limited by this same theory everytime you struggles with explanations beyond your scope and lingual prowess. Except you know it all already.

If you believe we can't speak and analyse our language beyond your set limits, then that's weird.

There are hundreds of ijebu, ijeda and iwoye: if it pleases you, accept the 'false etymology' as fact. It does not please me sir since I'm unlike you.

There's what the false etymology says and there's what Yoruba intellectual culture implies. To see beyond the ordinary takes exceptional insight.
Re: Yoruba Cities, Towns And Villages- What Do Their Names Mean? by lawani: 5:22pm On Jan 23, 2017
absoluteSuccess:

You are equally limited by this same theory everytime you struggles with explanations beyond your scope and lingual prowess. Except you know it all already.

If you believe we can't speak and analyse our language beyond your set limits, then that's weird.

There are hundreds of ijebu, ijeda and iwoye: if it pleases you, accept the 'false etymology' as fact. It does not please me sir since I'm unlike you.

There's what the false etymology says and there's what Yoruba intellectual culture implies. To see beyond the ordinary takes exceptional insight.

YOU TOTALLY MISS THE POINT. I SAY ONLY IJESA ACCOUNT PASSED AROUND IN IJESA. I CANT SPEAK FOR OTHERS UNLESS I HAVE READ THEIR ACCOUNT!. THAT IS WHY I SAID ASK THE IJEBU, DONT JUST ASSUME!.
Re: Yoruba Cities, Towns And Villages- What Do Their Names Mean? by absoluteSuccess: 6:45pm On Jan 23, 2017
lawani:

YOU TOTALLY MISS THE POINT. I SAY ONLY IJESA ACCOUNT PASSED AROUND IN IJESA. I CANT SPEAK FOR OTHERS UNLESS I HAVE READ THEIR ACCOUNT!. THAT IS WHY I SAID ASK THE IJEBU, DONT JUST ASSUME!.

If that's your angle on Yoruba history that made me miss the point totally, then try another perspective if you are open to comparative studies within Yoruba history.

A king of Isolo once said that the name 'isolo' derived from ' iso olo' meaning grind stone deport. Meanwhile, in the same tribe you have ota who look to the title osolo as the first king of the town.

At Ado, the compound of Isolo produces Osolo, who is the prime minister and king maker for Ado. Just consider how this name was said to have been coined somewher and its records elsewhere.

The king was unaware that other Yoruba enclaves has richer tradition in connection with Isolo, he was only interested in what the word possibly mean. He made an error in interpretation.

Yoruba history is interwoven, you need Yoruba intellect to break the codes. You can't study one place name in isolation without getting arbitrary meaning that simply leads nowhere, where ijeda means blood stop.

Peace.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Cities, Towns And Villages- What Do Their Names Mean? by Olu317(m): 9:43am On Jan 24, 2017
lawani:

OWA means more than some one who arrived. Wa is Come, O WA is different from OWA. OWA(EXIST/HE LIVES) is a princely name turned Eulogy and title which is genealogically son of Odua. OBOKUN was the princely description of him as Salty water fetcher ( Sea) .No one or group bears that name except from Odua lineage. How do I know? It is because I AM FROM OWA LINEAGE.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Cities, Towns And Villages- What Do Their Names Mean? by lawani: 10:49am On Jan 24, 2017
Olu317:
OWA means more than some one who arrived. Wa is Come, O WA is different from OWA. OWA(EXIST/HE LIVES) is a princely name turned Eulogy and title which is genealogically son of Odua. OBOKUN was the princely description of him as Salty water fetcher ( Sea) .No one or group bears that name except from Odua lineage. How do I know? It is because I AM FROM OWA LINEAGE.

OWA MEAN JJC TO ME JOLLY JUST COME. OWA DENOTES A STRANGER THAT WAS MADE KING. AJIBOGUN AKA OBOKUN WAS A NEW PERSON THAT ESTABLISHED IJESA OVER THE LANDS OF DEFUNCT IFE STATES. IJESA IS LESS THAN 2000 YEARS OLD AND THIS IS YEAR 10060 OF YORUBA CALENDAR. IT IS YEAR 10060 OF IFE OOYELAGBO THE FIRST CITY ESTABLISHED AFTER AN APOCALYPSE. IFE STATES LIKE IRE, ARAMOKO, IJERO, IRELE ETC HAD EXISTED THOUSANDS OF YEARS BEFORE THE NEW ONES OF IJESA, BENIN, IJEBU, OYO AND ETC WERE FORMED. THOSE NEW ONES WERE MAINLY ESTABLISHED BY THE CHILDREN OF A STRANGER THAT WAS CROWNED THE OLOFIN IN ILE IFE. ORANMIYAN WAS ONE, OBOKUN WAS ANOTHER. THERE WERE MANY OF THEM.
Re: Yoruba Cities, Towns And Villages- What Do Their Names Mean? by Olu317(m): 6:28pm On Jan 24, 2017
lawani:

OWA MEAN JJC TO ME JOLLY JUST COME. OWA DENOTES A STRANGER THAT WAS MADE KING. AJIBOGUN AKA OBOKUN WAS A NEW PERSON THAT ESTABLISHED IJESA OVER THE LANDS OF DEFUNCT IFE STATES. IJESA IS LESS THAN 2000 YEARS OLD AND THIS IS YEAR 10060 OF YORUBA CALENDAR. IT IS YEAR 10060 OF IFE OOYELAGBO THE FIRST CITY ESTABLISHED AFTER AN APOCALYPSE. IFE STATES LIKE IRE, ARAMOKO, IJERO, IRELE ETC HAD EXISTED THOUSANDS OF YEARS BEFORE THE NEW ONES OF IJESA, BENIN, IJEBU, OYO AND ETC WERE FORMED. THOSE NEW ONES WERE MAINLY ESTABLISHED BY THE CHILDREN OF A STRANGER THAT WAS CROWNED THE OLOFIN IN ILE IFE. ORANMIYAN WAS ONE, OBOKUN WAS ANOTHER. THERE WERE MANY OF THEM.
LEAVE THE ESTABLISHMENT OF KINGDOMS OUT OF IT. AND DONT QUOTE CALENDAR FOR ME BECAUSE THE YEAR OF OCCUPATION AT ILE IFE DATES BACK TO 3rd/4th/5th CENTURY. AND PROPER URBANISATION CAME UP AROUND 1000AD DURING THE IRON AGE. IF A PLACE ISN'T POPULAR, DOES IT MEAN, IT NEVER EXISTED?, WHERE DO YOU PUT OBA?,ALL THESE PLACES YOU MENTIONED WERE DEVELOPING WITH OTHERS. OBOKUN WAS NEVER A NAME BUT AN ALIAS. SO BRO GET YOUR FACT RIGHT.
Re: Yoruba Cities, Towns And Villages- What Do Their Names Mean? by lawani: 7:14pm On Jan 24, 2017
Olu317:
LEAVE THE ESTABLISHMENT OF KINGDOMS OUT OF IT. AND DONT QUOTE CALENDAR FOR ME BECAUSE THE YEAR OF OCCUPATION AT ILE IFE DATES BACK TO 3rd/4th/5th CENTURY. AND PROPER URBANISATION CAME UP AROUND 1000AD DURING THE IRON AGE. IF A PLACE ISN'T POPULAR, DOES IT MEAN, IT NEVER EXISTED?, WHERE DO YOU PUT OBA?,ALL THESE PLACES YOU MENTIONED WERE DEVELOPING WITH OTHERS. OBOKUN WAS NEVER A NAME BUT AN ALIAS. SO BRO GET YOUR FACT RIGHT.

IF YOU SAY CALENDAR MEANS NOTHING TO YOU, ALL WELL AND GOOD! IT MEANS A LOT TO ME. IT MAKES ME KNOW THAT THE PRESENT CULTURE I AM UNDER WAS ESTABLISHED 10060 YEARS AGO AFTER AN ADVANCED CIVILIZATION CALLED IFE OODAYE KNOWN AS WADAI WAS DESTROYED. THIS NEW ONE IS THE REMNANT OF THE FIRST EARTH HEADQUARTER AFTER THAT DESTRUCTION OF 10060 YEARS AGO. A NEW IFE MAY BE ESTABLISHED AS A YORUBA CAPITAL SAY IN TOGO OR BENIN (THEY ALL HAVE IFE SITES MAWUFE, AMADZOFE ETC) THIS YEAR AND NAMED IFE OLODUmARE OR WHATEVER. CAN YOU BASE THE AGE OF THE CIVILIZATION ON THE AGE OF THAT NEW IFE? CONSIDER IT WELL MY BROTHER.
Re: Yoruba Cities, Towns And Villages- What Do Their Names Mean? by Olu317(m): 7:28am On Jan 25, 2017
lawani:

IF YOU SAY CALENDAR MEANS NOTHING TO YOU, ALL WELL AND GOOD! IT MEANS A LOT TO ME. IT MAKES ME KNOW THAT THE PRESENT CULTURE I AM UNDER WAS ESTABLISHED 10060 YEARS AGO AFTER AN ADVANCED CIVILIZATION CALLED IFE OODAYE KNOWN AS WADAI WAS DESTROYED. THIS NEW ONE IS THE REMNANT OF THE FIRST EARTH HEADQUARTER AFTER THAT DESTRUCTION OF 10060 YEARS AGO. A NEW IFE MAY BE ESTABLISHED AS A YORUBA CAPITAL SAY IN TOGO OR BENIN (THEY ALL HAVE IFE SITES MAWUFE, AMADZOFE ETC) THIS YEAR AND NAMED IFE OLODUmARE OR WHATEVER. CAN YOU BASE THE AGE OF THE CIVILIZATION ON THE AGE OF THAT NEW IFE? CONSIDER IT WELL MY BROTHER.
WITH GREAT RESPECT DO I HAVE FOR MANY OF US TREMENDOUSLY STUDYING THE RELEVANCE OF MYTH AND HISTORICAL PERSPECTIVES OF YORUBA WORLD. HOWEVER, THERE ARE FLAWS IN SOME OF THEIR PRONOUNCEMENT ON THE FOUNDATION OF EARTH IN COMPARISON WITH ISRAEL CREATION MYTH AND WHICH SCIENTISTS CALLED EVOLUTION OF EARTH (THE BIG BANG THEORY) . SOME OF YORUBA PERSPECTIVE CAN REALLY BE SAID TO BE INACCURATE VIS A VIS OOYE-LA-AGBO MYTH,CREATION MYTH, CREATOR MYTH, DIVINITY MYTH. THOUGH THERE IS NO IOTA OF DOUBT ABOUT YORUBA ANCIENT ETHNICITY HAVING KNOWLEDGE OF THE SUPREME BEING BUT ILE IFE WAS NEVER THE FIRST SPOT LIGHT EMANATED FROM. WHAT I HAVE BEEN ABLE TO DEDUCED WAS THE YORUBA PEOPLE ELIMINATED THE ANCIENT NOK PEOPLE WHEN THEY ARRIVED AT THE LOCATION ADDUCED AS THE BEGINNING OF WORLD. THE FACTS ON GROUND TESTIFY TO IT. YORUBA'S ILE IFE WAS NEVER THE FIRST PLACE HUMAN'S OLDEST SKULL DISCOVERED AND IS NEVER THE OLDEST PART ON THE PLANET EARTH. I DENOUNCE THE CALENDAR BECAUSE OF ITS IN ACCURACY THOUGH IT LAY CLAIM TO ITS OWN CALCULATION WHICH COMMENCED IN JUNE 3rd 2016 to REPRESENT 10058th YORUBA YEAR AND ENDS IN JUNE 2nd 2017.BRO ,THERE IS NO DOUBT THAT YORUBA ETHNICITY IS A UNIQUE GROUP BEING THE MOST RESEARCHED IN THE WORLD . BUT WE AREN'T AN INDIGENOUS STOCKS NEITHER ARE WE EGYPTIANS BREEDS. I TOOK MY TO TRY TO BRING FEW AND POSSIBLE EXTENDED CRITICISM AND MORE RESEARCH ON IT. ONE PARTICULAR GUY USED A FOUL LANGUAGE ON ME AND I DIDN'T TAKE HIM UP ON IT BECAUSE HE IS A YORUBA STOCK. SO BRO, TRUTHFULLY, SOME THEORIES PROPOUNDED BY PEOPLE ON YORUBA PEOPLE AREN'T TRUE. ONE OF THE FIRST QUESTION IS; HOW WAS IT POSSIBLE FOR THE OBATALA ODUA AND THE REST TO HAD WORN LONG ROBE IN THEIR TIME? IF YOU HAVE CLUE TO IT, KINDLY LET ME KNOW.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Cities, Towns And Villages- What Do Their Names Mean? by absoluteSuccess: 8:17am On Jan 25, 2017
lawani:

That's literal-bankrupcy, destroying good meaning of classic words just to score a cheap point. I wish you live up to the meaning of the name awal, meaning seekers or scholar. You don't seek deep, you impose your will impatiently as knowledge.

'Owa obokun remi' is the phrase, it means 'seeker of a coast across the water', now where do we have a coast across the water in Yoruba land? Lagos Island. Now what historical connection exist between lagos Island and Ijeshaland?

Yoruba place names and underlying mantra are not just given, don't degrade it to spite anyone, make it glorious and honourable because its an intellectual property of some great thinkers, the meanings are not arbitrary or random idea.

I'll give you an instance: ikirun, what does it mean? Now the yoruba word for solat is kirun, you may think there is no meaning to it, but it simply means, salute heaven, or 'greet heaven'. Now you know.

Then based on this, you take in the full picture of ikirun as 'ikirun agunbe onile obi'. You don't need some elders of Ife on daily basis, you need understanding. So, ikirun means 'the praise of heaven, agunbe, the land owner, the woman.

Now I recourse to yoruba intellectual culture in my interpretation, if not, I would have implied onile obi as the land of colanut.

Now I expect to read about a powerful woman in ikirun ancient history, and also a connection with ijesha, I also expect to know what agunbe means here, though I know its old Yoruba.

Agun be: the pregnant animal delivered. Yoruba uses gun for pregnancy among animals, and the use be for them when they have delivered.

So it take great care and breathtaking exercise and comparative studies to unravel their crypts.
Re: Yoruba Cities, Towns And Villages- What Do Their Names Mean? by lawani: 8:31am On Jan 25, 2017
Olu317:
WITH GREAT RESPECT DO I HAVE FOR MANY OF US TREMENDOUSLY STUDYING THE RELEVANCE OF MYTH AND HISTORICAL PERSPECTIVES OF YORUBA WORLD. HOWEVER, THERE ARE FLAWS IN SOME OF THEIR PRONOUNCEMENT ON THE FOUNDATION OF EARTH IN COMPARISON WITH ISRAEL CREATION MYTH AND WHICH SCIENTISTS CALLED EVOLUTION OF EARTH (THE BIG BANG THEORY) . SOME OF YORUBA PERSPECTIVE CAN REALLY BE SAID TO BE INACCURATE VIS A VIS OOYE-LA-AGBO MYTH,CREATION MYTH, CREATOR MYTH, DIVINITY MYTH. THOUGH THERE IS NO IOTA OF DOUBT ABOUT YORUBA ANCIENT ETHNICITY HAVING KNOWLEDGE OF THE SUPREME BEING BUT ILE IFE WAS NEVER THE FIRST SPOT LIGHT EMANATED FROM. WHAT I HAVE BEEN ABLE TO DEDUCED WAS THE YORUBA PEOPLE ELIMINATED THE ANCIENT NOK PEOPLE WHEN THEY ARRIVED AT THE LOCATION ADDUCED AS THE BEGINNING OF WORLD. THE FACTS ON GROUND TESTIFY TO IT. YORUBA'S ILE IFE WAS NEVER THE FIRST PLACE HUMAN'S OLDEST SKULL DISCOVERED AND IS NEVER THE OLDEST PART ON THE PLANET EARTH. I DENOUNCE THE CALENDAR BECAUSE OF ITS IN ACCURACY THOUGH IT LAY CLAIM TO ITS OWN CALCULATION WHICH COMMENCED IN JUNE 3rd 2016 to REPRESENT 10058th YORUBA YEAR AND ENDS IN JUNE 2nd 2017.BRO ,THERE IS NO DOUBT THAT YORUBA ETHNICITY IS A UNIQUE GROUP BEING THE MOST RESEARCHED IN THE WORLD . BUT WE AREN'T AN INDIGENOUS STOCKS NEITHER ARE WE EGYPTIANS BREEDS. I TOOK MY TO TRY TO BRING FEW AND POSSIBLE EXTENDED CRITICISM AND MORE RESEARCH ON IT. ONE PARTICULAR GUY USED A FOUL LANGUAGE ON ME AND I DIDN'T TAKE HIM UP ON IT BECAUSE HE IS A YORUBA STOCK. SO BRO, TRUTHFULLY, SOME THEORIES PROPOUNDED BY PEOPLE ON YORUBA PEOPLE AREN'T TRUE. ONE OF THE FIRST QUESTION IS; HOW WAS IT POSSIBLE FOR THE OBATALA ODUA AND THE REST TO HAD WORN LONG ROBE IN THEIR TIME? IF YOU HAVE CLUE TO IT, KINDLY LET ME KNOW.

BIBLE CREATION MYTH IS NOT ORIGINAL. IT IS PIRATED FROM VARIOUS OLDER SCRIPTURES. IT IS NOT JOURNAL MATERIAL. IT IS ALL GOTTEN FROM EGYPTIAN, SUMERIAN AND HINDU TEXTS. IT IS A POORLY DONE PLAGIARISM. IT IS NOT WORTH YOUR TIME MY BROTHER.

THE BELIEF OF YORUBAS IS THAT THERE WAS AN ADVANCED CIVILIZATION ON EARTH OVER TEN THOUSAND YEARS AGO, A VERY ADVANCED CIVILIZATION SURPASSING WHAT WE HAVE TODAY. THAT CIVILIZATION WAS DESTROYED BUT THERE WERE SURVIVORS. THE SURVIVORS ESTABLISHED A NEW CIVILIZATION CALLED IFE OOYELAGBO THE IFE OF THOSE WHO SURVIVED AMONG THE MULTITUDE. OF COURSE MAY BE OF TEN BILLION HUMANS ONLY 200,000 SURVIVED. SO, MAY BE ONLY 100,000 RE-ESTABLISHED IFE WHILE THE REST WHO WERE MORE ADVENTUROUS WONDERED OFF AND MET OTHER HUMAN SPECIES WHO WERE LESS ADVANCED THAN HOMO SAPIENS, FOUGHT WARS WITH THEM, INTERMARRIED AND RE PEOPLED EARTH. THEN EGYPT, SUMERIA, HINDUS, AZTEC, MAYAN, STONEHENGE ETC EMERGED ON AND ON LIKE THAT. EGYPT GAVE BIRTH TO GREECE THEN EGYPT COLLAPSED DUE TO NATURAL DISASTER, THEN THE BULK OF THEM TREKKED BACK TO JOIN THE PEOPLE IN THE OLD CAPITAL WADAI WHICH IS A SITE OF IFE OODAYE, THEN THEY MOVE FARTHER SOUTH ENBLOC TO YORUBA WEST AFRICA. WE SPEAK THEIR LANGUAGE TODAY. SO I TAKE IT WE ARE MINIMUM OF 30 PERCENT KEMITIC EGYPTIAN BY GENETIC MAKE UP AMONG YORUBAS. GREECE TOOK OVER, PERSIA TOO TOOK OVER SUMERIA, ROME TOOK OVER, CRASHED, THE CHRISTIANS CAME, THE MUSLIMS CAME, THEN THE EUROPEANS. NOW THE GLOBAL VILLAGE. WE ARE JUST ENTERING THE BEGINNING OF ADVANCEMENT ONCE AGAIN AFTER TEN THOUSAND YEARS.

THE OLD IFE OOYELAGBO MERGED WITH THE RETURNEES FROM EGYPT ADOPTING THEIR LANGUAGE BUT THE KNOW HOW IN EGYPT WAS NOT CARRIED FORWARD. WRITING AND LIBRARY CULTURE IN PARTICULAR. SO PROGRESS WAS BOUNDED. THE MAIN LEGACY TODAY IS NOT EGYPTIAN BUT IFA OF THE IFE OOYELAGBO'S OBJECTIVE THEOLOGY.

WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY 'CAN YORUBA WEAR ROBES?'. THERE WAS NEVER A TIME IFE OOYELAGBO PEOPLE DID NOT HAVE CLOTHES!'. THE YORUBA HAVE ALWAYS HAD HIGH QUALITY CLOTHES SOLD IN INTERNATIONAL MARKETS BUT NOW IT MAY BE DECLINING.

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Edjenu Festival Of The Okpara People Of Agbon Kingdom / The Spirit Of Lagos / Is This True? Do They Use Hyenas For Debt Collection In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 115
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.