Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,527 members, 7,826,979 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 01:59 AM

Yoruba Cities, Towns And Villages- What Do Their Names Mean? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Yoruba Cities, Towns And Villages- What Do Their Names Mean? (17510 Views)

Towns In Mahin Kingdom(ilajeland) By Olasemojo Olabamigbe John. / Origin And History Of Anambra Towns / Major Ijaw Cities And Towns In Nigeria: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba Cities, Towns And Villages- What Do Their Names Mean? by absoluteSuccess: 8:50am On Jan 25, 2017
Olu317:
WITH GREAT RESPECT DO I HAVE FOR MANY OF US TREMENDOUSLY STUDYING THE RELEVANCE OF MYTH AND HISTORICAL PERSPECTIVES OF YORUBA WORLD. HOWEVER, THERE ARE FLAWS IN SOME OF THEIR PRONOUNCEMENT ON THE FOUNDATION OF EARTH IN COMPARISON WITH ISRAEL CREATION MYTH AND WHICH SCIENTISTS CALLED EVOLUTION OF EARTH (THE BIG BANG THEORY) . SOME OF YORUBA PERSPECTIVE CAN REALLY BE SAID TO BE INACCURATE VIS A VIS OOYE-LA-AGBO MYTH,CREATION MYTH, CREATOR MYTH, DIVINITY MYTH. THOUGH THERE IS NO IOTA OF DOUBT ABOUT YORUBA ANCIENT ETHNICITY HAVING KNOWLEDGE OF THE SUPREME BEING BUT ILE IFE WAS NEVER THE FIRST SPOT LIGHT EMANATED FROM. WHAT I HAVE BEEN ABLE TO DEDUCED WAS THE YORUBA PEOPLE ELIMINATED THE ANCIENT NOK PEOPLE WHEN THEY ARRIVED AT THE LOCATION ADDUCED AS THE BEGINNING OF WORLD. THE FACTS ON GROUND TESTIFY TO IT. YORUBA'S ILE IFE WAS NEVER THE FIRST PLACE HUMAN'S OLDEST SKULL DISCOVERED AND IS NEVER THE OLDEST PART ON THE PLANET EARTH. I DENOUNCE THE CALENDAR BECAUSE OF ITS IN ACCURACY THOUGH IT LAY CLAIM TO ITS OWN CALCULATION WHICH COMMENCED IN JUNE 3rd 2016 to REPRESENT 10058th YORUBA YEAR AND ENDS IN JUNE 2nd 2017.BRO ,THERE IS NO DOUBT THAT YORUBA ETHNICITY IS A UNIQUE GROUP BEING THE MOST RESEARCHED IN THE WORLD . BUT WE AREN'T AN INDIGENOUS STOCKS NEITHER ARE WE EGYPTIANS BREEDS. I TOOK MY TO TRY TO BRING FEW AND POSSIBLE EXTENDED CRITICISM AND MORE RESEARCH ON IT. ONE PARTICULAR GUY USED A FOUL LANGUAGE ON ME AND I DIDN'T TAKE HIM UP ON IT BECAUSE HE IS A YORUBA STOCK. SO BRO, TRUTHFULLY, SOME THEORIES PROPOUNDED BY PEOPLE ON YORUBA PEOPLE AREN'T TRUE. ONE OF THE FIRST QUESTION IS; HOW WAS IT POSSIBLE FOR THE OBATALA ODUA AND THE REST TO HAD WORN LONG ROBE IN THEIR TIME? IF YOU HAVE CLUE TO IT, KINDLY LET ME KNOW.

Most of the scholars are deluded on Yoruba history: they want to reverence Odua and also reverence an unknown history at the same time. They want to say Odua existed but did not exist, they are confused.

Ile Ife may be the capital of Yorba at inception, as Lokoja is to Nigeria, but it is not where Yoruba originated from. Yoruba created Ile Ife, they were not created at Ile Ife. In fact the hero of Ife is not Odua but Moremi.

Omode gbon agba gbon lafi dale Ife: ife is an expanse built into city, most of the ancient cities said to be of Odua sons existed as at the same time Ile Ife was founded.

The creation theory sprang from deliberately misunderstanding the phrase 'nibi oju rere gbeti nmo wa le aye' which says the place is in the east, 'where sunrise spread across the land'.

This is where I became submisive to the arguments of metaphysical, who claimed that ile ife is borrowed from Nineveh, even people of middle east of hebrew time refer to the place (Nineveh) as east too.

Yoruba adopted place names from their wellspring. Its either that Ile-Ife history reminisce the Genesis account or Yoruba scholars are plagiarising hebrew tradition of creation. One was first published.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Cities, Towns And Villages- What Do Their Names Mean? by Olu317(m): 7:21pm On Jan 25, 2017
absoluteSuccess:

Most of the scholars are deluded on Yoruba history: they want to reverence Odua and also reverence an unknown history at the same time. They want to say Odua existed but did not exist, they are confused.

Ile Ife may be the capital of Yorba at inception, as Lokoja is to Nigeria, but it is not where Yoruba originated from. Yoruba created Ile Ife, they were not created at Ile Ife. In fact the hero of Ife is not Odua but Moremi.

Omode gbon agba gbon lafi dale Ife: ife is an expanse built into city, most of the ancient cities said to be of Odua sons existed as at the same time Ile Ife was founded.

The creation theory sprang from deliberately misunderstanding the phrase 'nibi oju rere gbeti nmo wa le aye' which says the place is in the east, 'where sunrise spread across the land'.

This is where I became submisive to the arguments of metaphysical, who claimed that ile ife is borrowed from Nineveh, even people of middle east of hebrew time refer to the place (Nineveh) as east too.

Yoruba adopted place names from their wellspring. Its either that Ile-Ife history reminisce the Genesis account or Yoruba scholars are plagiarising hebrew tradition of creation. One was first published.
I CAN SEE SENSE IN THE CORRUPT PRONUNCIATION OF NINEVEH AS ILE IFE. I HAVE SEEN DIFFERENT RESEARCHERS UNABLE TO IDENTIFY YORUBA WITH WITH AFRICAN ORIGIN. LUCAS IN HIS BOOK IDENTIFYING YORUBA HAVING ALMOST 50% SIMILARITY IN PRONUNCIATIONS IN YORUBA LANGUAGE FROM EGYPT(KEMITIC) YET THE CULTURE WAS WITH EGYPT ARE DIFFERENT. TAKE FOR INSTANCE THE USE OF RAM FOR RITUALS IN YORUBA RELIGION WAS PRACTICALLY AGAINST EGYPTIANS RELIGION. THIS EVEN LED TO THE DESTRUCTION OF ISRAELITES HABITAT IN EGYPT DURING THE REIGN
Re: Yoruba Cities, Towns And Villages- What Do Their Names Mean? by absoluteSuccess: 7:49pm On Jan 25, 2017
Olu317:
I CAN SEE SENSE IN THE CORRUPT PRONUNCIATION OF NINEVEH AS ILE IFE. I HAVE SEEN DIFFERENT RESEARCHERS UNABLE TO IDENTIFY YORUBA WITH WITH AFRICAN ORIGIN. LUCAS IN HIS BOOK IDENTIFYING YORUBA HAVING ALMOST 50% SIMILARITY IN PRONUNCIATIONS IN YORUBA LANGUAGE FROM EGYPT(KEMITIC) YET THE CULTURE WAS WITH EGYPT ARE DIFFERENT. TAKE FOR INSTANCE THE USE OF RAM FOR RITUALS IN YORUBA RELIGION WAS PRACTICALLY AGAINST EGYPTIANS RELIGION. THIS EVEN LED TO THE DESTRUCTION OF ISRAELITES HABITAT IN EGYPT DURING THE REIGN

I won't to believe that metaphysical was just plucking names when he first shared the notion of nineveh, but when he came up with Ogori Magogo, I was completely stunned. He's was the notion that Ogori Magogo has to do with Gog and Magog.

Of course there are noisemakers here that has never made any impressive contributions save confrontation, but the wisdom is, no one can silence the quest for truth. Ile Ife history is part of Yoruba history, not the whole of Yoruba history.

Using ife to silence every other piece of history is folly, it is akin to internal imperialism. The notion that ife is the origin of the Yoruba did not trace to anywhere, its just a bail out for intellectual comatose of Yoruba scholars,

Yoruba enclave is built by leagues of kindred, every constituency has a valid account that trace back to source. That source has been lost to time, but we can upturn the roubles and find out where.

We are seekers after the truth of the story, not the deceit.
Re: Yoruba Cities, Towns And Villages- What Do Their Names Mean? by lawani: 8:50pm On Jan 25, 2017
absoluteSuccess:

I won't to believe that metaphysical was just plucking names when he first shared the notion of nineveh, but when he came up with Ogori Magogo, I was completely stunned. He's was the notion that Ogori Magogo has to do with Gog and Magog.

Of course there are noisemakers here that has never made any impressive contributions save confrontation, but the wisdom is, no one can silence the quest for truth. Ile Ife history is part of Yoruba history, not the whole of Yoruba history.

Using ife to silence every other piece of history is folly, it is akin to internal imperialism. The notion that ife is the origin of the Yoruba did not trace to anywhere, its just a bail out for intellectual comatose of Yoruba scholars,

Yoruba enclave is built by leagues of kindred, every constituency has a valid account that trace back to source. That source has been lost to time, but we can upturn the roubles and find out where.

ILE IFE MEANS ZERO POINT. WHERE SOMETHING STARTED. IT IS A THEORY TO EXPLAIN HUMAN EXISTENCE!. FE IS EXPAND. ILE IS HOME. ILE IFE MEANS THE ZERO POINT WHERE HUMAN CIVILIZATION STARTED. FIRST ILE IFE WAS THE FIRST LAND ABOVE WATERS THAT HAD FIRST HUMAN CIVILIZATION. THAT IS THE IDEA. ITS A CONCEPT. SO LAND ROSE ABOVE THE WATER AND STARTED TO SPREAD. THAT IS THE FIRST ILE IFE. IFE OOYELAGBO WAS THE ONLY STANDING CITY AFTER EARTH'S DESTRUCTION. THE UN HEADQUARTERS BUT THERE WERE OTHER SPECIES OF HUMAN BEINGS BACK THEN BUT LESS ADVANCED. THEY ARE AMONG OUR ANCESTORS. SO IFE OOYELAGBO WAS ESTABLISHED AS FIRST AFTER EARTH DESTRUCTION HENCE THE TITLE IFE OOYELAGBO OLORI AYE WHICH MEANS UN HQ. DO YOU UNDERSTAND? BUT THAT WAS BACK THEN!.

THEN THAT IFE WAS THE IFE OF THE IRON AGE TOO. DO YOU GET IT. IRON USE STARTED TO SPREAD FROM THERE. I HOPE YOU GET IT. AN ALIEN LANDED AND TAUGHT THEM.

NOW, LONDON IS THE ILE IFE OF CORPORATOCRACY AND INDUSTrIALIZATION. THAT IS HOW IT WORKS. WHERE IS ILE IFE OF TOYOTA CORPORATION, GENERAL MOTORS AND ETC?
Re: Yoruba Cities, Towns And Villages- What Do Their Names Mean? by Olu317(m): 8:57pm On Jan 25, 2017
absoluteSuccess:

PHARAOH WHO ORDERED THE JEWISH SETTLERS TO LEAVE BECAUSE OF USE OF RAM FOR SACRIFICE AROUND 650BC OR SO . THIS PLACE WAS CALLED ASWAN AND YEB IN ELEPHANTÉ IN EGYPT. THE TWO CITIES WERE HABITATION OF THE JEWISH PEOPLE WHO WERE THERE AS A RESULT PACT SIGNED EARLIER WITH AN EGYPTIANS PHARAOH AROUND 3OOBC TO BE MERCENARIES AND THEY LIVED THERE TILL IT GREW WITH MANY JEWS MIGRATED DUE TO DESTRUCTION OF NORTHERN ISRAEL . THIS IS WHERE I DISCOVERED ONE OF THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN IS THAT THE EGYPTIANS DIDNT HAVE A SUPREME GOD AS YORUBA DOES BUT WORSHIP RAM AND OTHER gods .THE ASSYRIANS THROUGH THEIR KING AROUND 620 BC ENTERED EGYPT AND DESTROYED IT BUT LEFT ISRAELITES TEMPLE UNTOUCHED WHICH WAS THE REASON THE EGYPTIANS DESTROYED THE ISRAELITES TEMPLE AFTER NEBUCHADNEZZAR INVADED EGYPT AND GONE .THIS WAS DONE AFTER A WHILE WHEN EGPTIANS REVOLTED AND DESTROYED THE TEMPLE WHERE THEY OFFERED RAM AS A SACRIFICE TO ELI TELL YHUDA (GOD) FOR CLEANSING. AND ELEPHANTE WAS WITHIN THE SAME DELTA REGION OF EGYPT. ANOTHER ASPECTS IS THAT YORUBA SUPREME GOD LIVES FOREVER. HE CANNOT DIE.... IF RAM AND OTHER DIFFERENCES ABOUND BETWEEN YORUBA AND EGYPT,NOR YORUBA BEING INDIGENOUS BECAUSE OF ADVANCED ANCIENT SOPHISTICATION, WHY DO WE NOT DO MORE RESEARCH ON IDENTITY IRRESPECTIVE OF CURRENT COLOUR. WHEN I SAW MANY YORUBA PEOPLE FROM AMERICAS DIASPORA. I WAS SO SHOCKED BECAUSE THEY HAVE ALL CHANGED TO HISPANIC. EVEN SOME AS NEARLY WHITE AS EUROPEANS. THEN CAN IT BE SAID THAT, THESE COMPLEXION WAS PERHAPS THE ORIGINAL ANCIENT YORUBA. YORUBA IN DIASPORA ARE MORE THAN IN NIGERIA.
Re: Yoruba Cities, Towns And Villages- What Do Their Names Mean? by absoluteSuccess: 9:22pm On Jan 25, 2017
Hmm
Re: Yoruba Cities, Towns And Villages- What Do Their Names Mean? by absoluteSuccess: 9:22pm On Jan 25, 2017
lawani:

ILE IFE MEANS ZERO POINT. WHERE SOMETHING STARTED. IT IS A THEORY TO EXPLAIN HUMAN EXISTENCE!. FE IS EXPAND. ILE IS HOME. ILE IFE MEANS THE ZERO POINT WHERE HUMAN CIVILIZATION STARTED. FIRST ILE IFE WAS THE FIRST LAND ABOVE WATERS THAT HAD FIRST HUMAN CIVILIZATION. THAT IS THE IDEA. ITS A CONCEPT. SO LAND ROSE ABOVE THE WATER AND STARTED TO SPREAD. THAT IS THE FIRST ILE IFE. IFE OOYELAGBO WAS THE ONLY STANDING CITY AFTER EARTH'S DESTRUCTION. THE UN HEADQUARTERS BUT THERE WERE OTHER SPECIES OF HUMAN BEINGS BACK THEN BUT LESS ADVANCED. THEY ARE AMONG OUR ANCESTORS. SO IFE OOYELAGBO WAS ESTABLISHED AS FIRST AFTER EARTH DESTRUCTION HENCE THE TITLE IFE OOYELAGBO OLORI AYE WHICH MEANS UN HQ. DO YOU UNDERSTAND? BUT THAT WAS BACK THEN!.

THEN THAT IFE WAS THE IFE OF THE IRON AGE TOO. DO YOU GET IT. IRON USE STARTED TO SPREAD FROM THERE. I HOPE YOU GET IT. AN ALIEN LANDED AND TAUGHT THEM.

NOW, LONDON IS THE ILE IFE OF CORPORATOCRACY AND INDUSTrIALIZATION. THAT IS HOW IT WORKS. WHERE IS ILE IFE OF TOYOTA CORPORATION, GENERAL MOTORS AND ETC?

Don't tell me what you deduce from mystic philosophy, let the fact speak.

Speaking from improbable claims is the most impossible approach to history.
Re: Yoruba Cities, Towns And Villages- What Do Their Names Mean? by Olu317(m): 11:26am On Jan 26, 2017
absoluteSuccess:

The true history haven't being lost. in fact I am tempted to doubt the name of Odua as his real name but where they came from. From oral account ,he said they were from the East, and from Adua which may naturally mean from Judua. I have seen record of Babylonians during the reign of the Assyrian king Asherplashur1. In one of the triumphant record over Israel, when they took all the lettered to Assyria and left behind all the illiterates in Israel in which it was inscribed instead of JUDUA as JADUA. This was similar to the original name of Odua which was ADUA before it was later changed to ODUDUWA because of the tonal pronunciation. The name ANASARA was the priest name of ancient Israelite while Yoruba own was ASARA. I am yet to know how this came to being. mashé is the Israelites word with the same meaning with Yoruba Ashé. How on earth do Yoruba the knowledge of Supreme being and imole (spirit being/angel like)? How do they have knowledge of Esu laalu ogiri oko? The same meaning with the Bible, the deceiver, liar, killer etc? haven't been able to be explained vividly by other internal Yoruba researchers yet it hurt me to find WHITE RESEARCHERS telling us about who we are. It is a shame on Yoruba men who are in the field of history and wouldn't do anything to unravel this mystery. I hope more light will be thrown to darken part of our real identity. We are too sophisticated and large to be indigenously aboriginal of West Africa. This has nothing to do being ethnocentric but the knowledge these people brought and showed in the expanse land of Yoruba land. We aren't cannibals as most Africans were, We had a organised system of government of monarchial system which had nothing to do with religion knowledge, we had belief in a supreme God and this God can't die. This is too much to behold of a people who does have existence of God's power of Calling to being or manifest (Power of word) . Even at the height of Egypt, Thebes , Ethiopia they had no knows knowledge of worshipping of Supreme God who couldn't die .
Re: Yoruba Cities, Towns And Villages- What Do Their Names Mean? by lawani: 11:52am On Jan 26, 2017
He who knows how to sing has the odu orin. He is Odudarin
He who knows how to accumulate wealth has the Odu ola. He is Odudola. It will be Irosun Ogunda
They person who is of good conduct has the Odu iwa. He is ODUDUWA. This person's conduct can never be faulted. It is from OFUN MEJI.
Re: Yoruba Cities, Towns And Villages- What Do Their Names Mean? by Olu317(m): 12:06pm On Jan 26, 2017
absoluteSuccess:

There isn't any plagiarism of the Hebrew's scriptures from what I have been able to decipher. Take for instance,how was it possible for the Yoruba to have knowledge on ancient and still worship of SKULL as DIVINE SKULL of Yoruba kings which is the same with the ancient Israelites. There is no account of any tribes of Israelites worshipping such in any part of the world. At ILE IFE, there are thirteen (13) communities and the same with Israelites ancient Israelites. Nearly everything that was being practise by the Israelites for atonement of sins are also done in Yoruba tradition, how is it possible? description of Yoruba almighty God is closer to the same as Israelites; rub his head in white local powder and consulted korofo if he will die but Korofo said he ‘God' cannot die. This is unbelievable when I came across this IFA eulogy on Yoruba God written by professor Bolaji Idowu
Re: Yoruba Cities, Towns And Villages- What Do Their Names Mean? by OPCNAIRALAND: 12:01pm On Jan 28, 2017
lawani:

YOU TOTALLY MISS THE POINT. I SAY ONLY IJESA ACCOUNT PASSED AROUND IN IJESA. I CANT SPEAK FOR OTHERS UNLESS I HAVE READ THEIR ACCOUNT!. THAT IS WHY I SAID ASK THE IJEBU, DONT JUST ASSUME!.

If all are rooted to Ife by ancestry, shouldn't Ijo carry same meaning, whether its in Ijesha, Ijebu, Ijero or anywhere else? The Onikoyi at the coast does not differ to the Onikoyi of the hinterland. Maintaining a liberal approach for political correctness will soon lead to such towns with Ado prefix gaining independent and diverse meanings and lead to autonomy, which will be at counter purpose with the sacredness and function of the hereditary stool for each itedo.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Cities, Towns And Villages- What Do Their Names Mean? by lawani: 6:11pm On Jan 28, 2017
OPCNAIRALAND:

If all are rooted to Ife by ancestry, shouldn't Ijo carry same meaning, whether its in Ijesha, Ijebu, Ijero or anywhere else? The Onikoyi at the coast does not differ to the Onikoyi of the hinterland. Maintaining a liberal approach for political correctness will soon lead to such towns with Ado prefix gaining independent and diverse meanings and lead to autonomy, which will be at counter purpose with the sacredness and function of the hereditary stool for each itedo.

I STILL INSIST YOU HAVE TO ASK THE OWNERS OF THE NAME THE MEANING! IJAMO FOR INSTANCE MEANS IJA KNEW, IN THESAME IJESA, IJEDA MEANS THE BLOOD STOPPED FLOWING AND ETC. SO, YORUBA IS A FLEXIBLE LANGUAGE THAT YOU CAN NOT STEREOTYPE. IJESA IS IJO ESA WHILE ILESA IS ILE ESA AND ILESA WAS RENAMED IN THE 16TH CENTURY, THE OLD CITY THERE BORE ANOTHER NAME.
Re: Yoruba Cities, Towns And Villages- What Do Their Names Mean? by OPCNAIRALAND: 5:27am On Jan 29, 2017
lawani:

I STILL INSIST YOU HAVE TO ASK THE OWNERS OF THE NAME THE MEANING! IJAMO FOR INSTANCE MEANS IJA KNEW, IN THESAME IJESA, IJEDA MEANS THE BLOOD STOPPED FLOWING AND ETC. SO, YORUBA IS A FLEXIBLE LANGUAGE THAT YOU CAN NOT STEREOTYPE. IJESA IS IJO ESA WHILE ILESA IS ILE ESA AND ILESA WAS RENAMED IN THE 16TH CENTURY, THE OLD CITY THERE BORE ANOTHER NAME.

No, not quite.

I just left another thread on discussion about Oworo and I put a contribution there about Lokoja.

No one of those who claim ownership in the town has been able to tell us what Lokoja means.

The lack of knowledge in the meaning of Lokoja arises because of colonial presence and administration of the town.

Same problen resulted in Oshodi (expressway in mainland) in Lagos.

I have seen this same problem with names. Descendants of slaves in Brazil named DoSimone and Cosoko. These are authentic African names. DoSimone is corrupted from Dosunmu and Cosoko from Kosoko.

In the rivalry war between brothers in the House of Ologun Kutere, the captives of war sold to Portuguese ended in Brazil and in display of die hard loyalty to their Lords kept the names for branding of personal pride.

As people settle places names and identities change and evolve. However the origin and root never loose its meaning. The meaning is singular, while the pronounciation, spelling may be in many formats and plural.

There is all kind of manners to ascribe meanings to thoughts and terms which form in our minds. If each individual followed the free flow then we will loose value in ethnicity itself. I say this because the strongest differentiator of ethnic grouping is tongue. Even when tongue changes sometimes the word sustains as a historical phenomenon.
Re: Yoruba Cities, Towns And Villages- What Do Their Names Mean? by lawani: 6:01am On Jan 29, 2017
OPCNAIRALAND:

No, not quite.

I just left another thread on discussion about Oworo and I put a contribution there about Lokoja.

No one of those who claim ownership in the town has been able to tell us what Lokoja means.

The lack of knowledge in the meaning of Lokoja arises because of colonial presence and administration of the town.

I have seen this same problem with names. Descendants of slaves in Brazil named DoSimone and Cosoko. These are authentic African names. DoSimone is corrupted from Dosunmu and Cosoko from Kosoko.

In the rivalry war between brothers in the House of Ologun Kutere, the captives of war sold to Portuguese ended in Brazil and in display of die hard loyalty to their Lords kept the names for branding of personal pride.

As people settle places names and identities change and evolve. However the origin and root never loose its meaning. The meaning is singular, while the pronounciation, spelling may be in many formats and plural.

There is all kind of manners to ascribe meanings to thoughts and terms which form in our minds. If each individual followed the free flow then we will loose value in ethnicity itself. I say this because the strongest differentiator of ethnic grouping is tongue. Even when tongue changes sometimes the word sustains as a historical phenomenon.

WHO ESTABLISHED AND NAMED LOKOJA? IT WAS THE OYO, NOT THE OWORO BUT THEY DID SO ON THE LAND OF OWORO JUST LIKE THEY ESTABLISHED EDE ON LAND THAT WAS IJESA. LOKOJA WAS A MAJOR OYO INLAND PORT. THE NAME IS SAID TO MEAN LOKEOJA. NORTH OF THE MARKET BUT THE OYO ARE NO LONGER THERE. THE PLACE NOW HAS OWORO AND NUPE. ITS A MIXTURE OF OWORO YORUBA AND NUPE.
Re: Yoruba Cities, Towns And Villages- What Do Their Names Mean? by absoluteSuccess: 12:02pm On Jan 29, 2017
lawani:

WHO ESTABLISHED AND NAMED LOKOJA? IT WAS THE OYO, NOT THE OWORO BUT THEY DID SO ON THE LAND OF OWORO JUST LIKE THEY ESTABLISHED EDE ON LAND THAT WAS IJESA. LOKOJA WAS A MAJOR OYO INLAND PORT. THE NAME IS SAID TO MEAN LOKEOJA. NORTH OF THE MARKET BUT THE OYO ARE NO LONGER THERE. THE PLACE NOW HAS OWORO AND NUPE. ITS A MIXTURE OF OWORO YORUBA AND NUPE.

If you hide under the twists to request that all words must be twisted to be true, your own claims too is open to 're twist'. Every Yoruba place name derived from just ' one idea', names where not given to confuse anyone, although later variant use of syllables in a place-name can mislead someone who subscribe to your way of thinking.

Place name can be really very simple, as given in Ode-Omu, which simply means 'hunter, won't you drink some water?' In that vicinity is ipetumodu, where a statue is mounted at the gate to the city depicting a hunter carrying an antelope across the shoulder, with a dane gun in his hand. Really false etymology that is.

Go to Ipetu-Ijesha, where Ipetu is said to mean something else, you'll understand that ipetu is not killing antelope, but 'I pe tu' kill the meek, which is a phrase or 'idiomatic expression' (of christianlike mood) that implies atone for or pacify someone who takes offence in you. Ipetu may be an alter where a 'gentle lamb is offered' or just 'call for calm'..

The moment we subscribe to your twist-is-fact, we stopped digging deep into the ancients and their wonderous worldview and settles for lame interpretation of ancient wisdom that intellectually complacent folks who are equally seeking to know the secrets of their/our ancestors offer us as 'gospel truth'. They may be wrong interpreters.

Every Yoruba place name preceded the people who were trying to tell us their meaning, its like hierogliph, you think you can tell what a word mean by the picture, but it may not be what you think it says. The rule of diction is, don't bend the meaning, don't help the word via ' water down interpretation', just the word only.

In Alimosho, you hear Ijanikin, ipaja, iikija: now in ancient Yoruba, the wordsmith gave us a mantra of the fathers as 'erinmoje omo saaja' I'm interested in saaja and it means 'retreating fighter'. Sa is flight and aja is fighter. Now you have the dictions of the ancestors that conveyed their mindset already.

Then employ this hindsight in appreciating words in this coinage style such as Ipaja: then it get clearer that Ipaja means 'battlecry' or 'call to arms'. Then if that's true, it may be that the place was named by people who knew how to call people to battle array.

Now if someone who do not have any clue to this idea is out to tell us the meaning, won't it be the simpleton idea that ipaja means 'anea epidemy'. Every connection to the wordsmith of old is severed and a place is isolated from her history from mere opinion that the originator himself is not sure of.

Crosscheck this definition on wider perspective:

Ikija: battle strong;
Ijanikin: battle is bravery;
Alakija: strong built for battle.

Your fact must agree with wordsmiths of ancient Yoruba, not some arbitrary-inclined misinterpretations called history or meaning of words given by one particular villager.

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Cities, Towns And Villages- What Do Their Names Mean? by OPCNAIRALAND: 4:38pm On Jan 29, 2017
absoluteSuccess:

I always thought Levite is associated with Nineveh. This new angle of equating Ile Ife is astounding and connects the dots for me.
Re: Yoruba Cities, Towns And Villages- What Do Their Names Mean? by OPCNAIRALAND: 4:44pm On Jan 29, 2017
lawani:

I do not dispute that. I was using it as background to highlight social evolution and the impact on names and historicals.

The OJA is lost in pronounciation, the accent is anglocized and carries no identity in any of the languages of either its indigenes or the settlers.
Re: Yoruba Cities, Towns And Villages- What Do Their Names Mean? by OPCNAIRALAND: 5:30pm On Jan 29, 2017
absoluteSuccess:

If you hide under the twists to request that all words must be twisted to be true, your own claims too is open to 're twist'. Every Yoruba place name derived from just ' one idea', names where not given to confuse anyone, although later variant use of syllables in a place-name can mislead someone who subscribe to your way of thinking.

Place name can be really very simple, as given in Ode-Omu, which simply means 'hunter, won't you drink some water?' In that vicinity is ipetumodu, where a statue is mounted at the gate to the city depicting a hunter carrying an antelope across the shoulder, with a dane gun in his hand. Really false etymology that is.

Go to Ipetu-Ijesha, where Ipetu is said to mean something else, you'll understand that ipetu is not killing antelope, but 'I pe tu' kill the meek, which is a phrase or 'idiomatic expression' (of christianlike mood) that implies atone for or pacify someone who takes offence in you. Ipetu may be an alter where a 'gentle lamb is offered' or just 'call for calm'..

The moment we subscribe to your twist-is-fact, we stopped digging deep into the ancients and their wonderous worldview and settles for lame interpretation of ancient wisdom that intellectually complacent folks who are equally seeking to know the secrets of their/our ancestors offer us as 'gospel truth'. They may be wrong interpreters.

Every Yoruba place name preceded the people who were trying to tell us their meaning, its like hierogliph, you think you can tell what a word mean by the picture, but it may not be what you think it says. The rule of diction is, don't bend the meaning, don't help the word via ' water down interpretation', just the word only.

In Alimosho, you hear Ijanikin, ipaja, iikija: now in ancient Yoruba, the wordsmith gave us a mantra of the fathers as 'erinmoje omo saaja' I'm interested in saaja and it means 'retreating fighter'. Sa is flight and aja is fighter. Now you have the dictions of the ancestors that conveyed their mindset already.

Then employ this hindsight in appreciating words in this coinage style such as Ipaja: then it get clearer that Ipaja means 'battlecry' or 'call to arms'. Then if that's true, it may be that the place was named by people who knew how to call people to battle array.

Now if someone who do not have any clue to this idea is out to tell us the meaning, won't it be the simpleton idea that ipaja means 'anea epidemy'. Every connection to the wordsmith of old is severed and a place is isolated from her history from mere opinion that the originator himself is not sure of.

Crosscheck this definition on wider perspective:

Ikija: battle strong;
Ijanikin: battle is bravery;
Alakija: strong built for battle.

Your fact must agree with wordsmiths of ancient Yoruba, not some arbitrary-inclined misinterpretations called history or meaning of words given by one particular villager.

You are very thorough and enlightened. The difference I see between your approach to lawani is that you are conservative and he is liberal.

Place-names are part of the culture and we must not treat it with liberal attitude leaving interpretation open for anybody to assign meaning and identity.

I wonder if Yorubas have a place-name index on record. It will be good idea to do so.
Re: Yoruba Cities, Towns And Villages- What Do Their Names Mean? by lawani: 6:09pm On Jan 29, 2017
OPCNAIRALAND:

You are very thorough and enlightened. The difference I see between your approach to lawani is that you are conservative and he is liberal.

Place-names are part of the culture and we must not treat it with liberal attitude leaving interpretation open for anybody to assign meaning and identity.

I wonder if Yorubas have a place-name index on record. It will be good idea to do so.

YOU PEOPLE ARE MERELY WRITING ENGLISH WITHOUT ADDING NEW KNOWLEDGE. I AM FROM IJESA, SO I AM USING WHAT IS BELIEVED IN IJESA AND NOT A GUESS! DO YOU HAVE ANOTHER MEANING? I MEAN FOR THOSE PLACE NAMES? IF YOU DONT, WHY DEBATE SOMEONE FROM THE AREA?

IJESA IS ONE OF THE MAIN YORUBA GROUPS ESTABLISHED AFTER THE ARRIVAL OF THE MECCAN ODUDUWA JUST LIKE MANY OTHERS LIKE OYO, IGBOMINA, EGBA, BENIN OWU, YAGBA ETC. THEY WERE NOT EXISTIN 1500 YEARS AGO. ANCIENT STATES CONTROLLED THOSE LANDS BEFORE THE NEW ONES WERE INAUGURATED.
Re: Yoruba Cities, Towns And Villages- What Do Their Names Mean? by absoluteSuccess: 8:26pm On Jan 29, 2017
OPCNAIRALAND:

I always thought Levite is associated with Nineveh. This new angle of equating Ile Ife is astounding and connects the dots for me.

No bro, Nineveh is one of the most ancient city, it was older than the levite institution.

I always appreciate your depth as well, only the deep calleth to the deep.
Re: Yoruba Cities, Towns And Villages- What Do Their Names Mean? by absoluteSuccess: 8:39pm On Jan 29, 2017
lawani:

YOU PEOPLE ARE MERELY WRITING ENGLISH WITHOUT ADDING NEW KNOWLEDGE. I AM FROM IJESA, SO I AM USING WHAT IS BELIEVED IN IJESA AND NOT A GUESS! DO YOU HAVE ANOTHER MEANING? I MEAN FOR THOSE PLACE NAMES? IF YOU DONT, WHY DEBATE SOMEONE FROM THE AREA?

IJESA IS ONE OF THE MAIN YORUBA GROUPS ESTABLISHED AFTER THE ARRIVAL OF THE MECCAN ODUDUWA JUST LIKE MANY OTHERS LIKE OYO, IGBOMINA, EGBA, BENIN OWU, YAGBA ETC. THEY WERE NOT EXISTIN 1500 YEARS AGO. ANCIENT STATES CONTROLLED THOSE LANDS BEFORE THE NEW ONES WERE INAUGURATED.

I believe you have problem learning from someone else. We are talking Yoruba place-name, we are not slaving forr ijesha: your idea is unaware of use of mnemonics in Yoruba intellectual culture, where everyday object is used as item of remembrance.

Ijeda can be 'established while migrating', if it please you to claim it means 'blood stopped' hold to it as an ijeshaman. We are only telling you that all Yoruba words are linked together, and you can't study one in isolation as you want to do.
Re: Yoruba Cities, Towns And Villages- What Do Their Names Mean? by absoluteSuccess: 9:47pm On Jan 29, 2017
OPCNAIRALAND:

No, not quite.

As to Oshodi, one needs to call to mind the folksong that says:

Iran Oshodi, lo lepetedo.
Oba lo lereko, lafiaji lonile.

This piece tell us about the Oshodi clan of the Yoruba race, and they were the settlers of Epetedo. The Oshodi are Nupe elements in Yoruba. The term ' Oshodi' is a variant of ' Olodi', both mean the same thing: O-sh-Odi: perpetrator of opposition. Olodi: one who opposes.

There is the art of 'the next storyline continues in the name of the next village' kind of pattern in Yoruba place-names sometimes, so you have Olodi-Apapa, opposer of the killers of the killers.

In fact, Oshodi is identical with the word Tapa: Tapa is probably 'ta pa si', I.e. to offend the powers that be. Same as Olodi, one who take offence: this excercise implies that there's underlying harmony in Yoruba place names and such concealed a certain aspect of Yoruba history.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Cities, Towns And Villages- What Do Their Names Mean? by OPCNAIRALAND: 12:02am On Jan 30, 2017
lawani:

Awesome!
So Lawani, if there is Ketu in Ijeshaland, Ketu in Popo, Ketu in Sabe, Ketu in Oyo, Ketu in Offa, Ketu in Kabba, Ketu in Bini, Ketu in Lagos, Ketu in Owu....should each of these Ketus not be identical in root history? Why, if you tell me the meaning of Ketu in Ijesha, can I not expect that it is identical to the other Ketus, and indeed applicable?
Re: Yoruba Cities, Towns And Villages- What Do Their Names Mean? by lawani: 12:16am On Jan 30, 2017
OPCNAIRALAND:

Awesome!
So Lawani, if there is Ketu in Ijeshaland, Ketu in Popo, Ketu in Sabe, Ketu in Oyo, Ketu in Offa, Ketu in Kabba, Ketu in Bini, Ketu in Lagos, Ketu in Owu....should each of these Ketus not be identical in root history? Why, if you tell me the meaning of Ketu in Ijesha, can I not expect that it is identical to the other Ketus, and indeed applicable?

You are just twisting words. I am not saying what you say is wrong but I am saying what Ijesa means and you never countered but are just debating for debating sake. I dont have time for such.
Re: Yoruba Cities, Towns And Villages- What Do Their Names Mean? by Nobody: 2:04pm On Jan 30, 2018
Akure means "AKU" GATHERED "RE" SETTLED......., AKURE GROUP OF SETTLED PEOPLE.
Re: Yoruba Cities, Towns And Villages- What Do Their Names Mean? by drips8(m): 5:56pm On Feb 09, 2018
I'm from oro in irepodun LGA kwara state

oro was coined out of E je ka ro sin hin meaning let's settle here

According to oral sources the founder was from oyo and his wife was an egba woman from abeokuta and she was the brain behind the name they had nine children who all set out to form the nine divisions of the oro kingdom
Re: Yoruba Cities, Towns And Villages- What Do Their Names Mean? by Konquest: 7:46pm On Feb 09, 2018
baby124:
Ilorin is Ile Erin- land of the elephants. We must have had elephants in that terrain a long time ago. Some other Yoruba proverbs include reference to elephants. So it's plausible

Ikoyi - oko yi - farm land. My guess is it connote onikoyi's farmland.

Ikotun - oko Otun - most likely a chiefs farm

Ikorodu - Ikorodu was always known to be a big farm land. It's meaning definitely has something to do with farming.

Egbeda - means the edge of something. You know a lot of these places had towns and rivers or deity's whose names are now lost.

Oshodi - that was named after Oshodi.

Ijaniki - site of a serious battle.

Shomolu - Osho- mo - olu - Osho deity was king/ their deity of choice and worship.

Ijegun - this meaning connotes the importance of masquerades in that area.

Mushin- is a short form of a longer name but will connote habitation of a place by a particular group. There is another place in Yorubaland called Ijebu-mushin.

Idimu - Bottom of ... (you have to look at the topography of that area to understand the meaning)

Owode Owode-onirin) - The town/settlement of Owo ( not necessarily the owo people). They most likely specialized in iron work.

Oworonshoki - settled quickly by this same Owo group.

Ajase - aka Eegun people

Ipaja - apa-oja - market area

Ojota - Celebration/day of Ota. (Ota comes up in other areas like Sango-Ota and so on. It's must have had an important meaning)
^^^^^^
^^^^^^
This is absolutely brilliant!

Well written post... grin

Well here is my little contribution to this thread!

I read that:
1. "Alakuko" area in Lagos State means "Cock Seller" in Yoruba. In the 1950s, there used
to be a poultry farm around the Alakuko
area, and so commercial vehicles coming
to the area would stop at Alakuko.

2. "Agege" area in Lagos State means "We Cut" ... The
early Awori-Yoruba settlers in Agege had to cut
through the "thick forests" that also had a lot
of elephants.

Agege still had elephants in
the forests as of 1910. I read this in some
historical documents.
Re: Yoruba Cities, Towns And Villages- What Do Their Names Mean? by Olu317(m): 7:43am On Feb 16, 2018
Konquest:

^^^^^^
^^^^^^
This is absolutely brilliant!

Well written post... grin

Well here is my little contribution to this thread!

I read that:
1. "Alakuko" area in Lagos State means "Cock Seller" in Yoruba. In the 1950s, there used
to be a poultry farm around the Alakuko
area, and so commercial vehicles coming
to the area would stop at Alakuko.

2. "Agege" area in Lagos State means "We Cut" ... The
early Awori-Yoruba settlers in Agege had to cut
through the "thick forests" that also had a lot
of elephants.

Agege still had elephants in
the forests as of 1910. I read this in some
historical documents.

ILO IRIN — a place where cutlass/sword etc are sharpened. This were basically done by the Oyo empire soldiers in the ancient time . In fact, the exact spot where the stone where the war blades were sharpened was located was turned to a deity in the past but not anymore.
OJOTA — isn't about Awori group known as OTTA/ OTA but OJU OTA(bullet spot).

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Cities, Towns And Villages- What Do Their Names Mean? by rhektor(m): 9:39am On Feb 16, 2018
Olu317:
ILO IRIN — a place where cutlass/sword etc are sharpened. This were basically done by the Oyo empire soldiers in the ancient time . In fact, the exact spot where the stone where the war blades were sharpened was located was turned to a deity in the past but not anymore.
OJOTA — isn't about Awori group known as OTTA/ OTA but OJU OTA(bullet spot).

Hmmmm I love this, just like Itoku in Abeokuta people think it's were dead people are sold but a place where the dead warriors were buried ITẸ́ ÒKÚ. So many names in Yorubaland has been corrupted.
Re: Yoruba Cities, Towns And Villages- What Do Their Names Mean? by lx3as(m): 4:35pm On Feb 16, 2018
Ado, Ido, Ondo, Oro, etc mean almost the same thing, that is, to settle or settlement.
Re: Yoruba Cities, Towns And Villages- What Do Their Names Mean? by Olu317(m): 6:05pm On Feb 16, 2018
rhektor:

Hmmmm I love this, just like Itoku in Abeokuta people think it's were dead people are sold but a place where the dead warriors were buried ITẸ́ ÒKÚ. So many names in Yorubaland has been corrupted.
Yes,you are absolutely correct. In fact ,many original formation of names of Yoruba stock villages , towns etc have been lost to contraction as a result of unwritten documentation.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Personal Yoruba Lessons. / Is This True? Do They Use Hyenas For Debt Collection In Nigeria? / The Edjenu Festival Of The Okpara People Of Agbon Kingdom

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 146
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.