Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,790 members, 7,820,774 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:19 PM

Meet The Founders And Country Of Origin Of MTN, Airtel, Glo And Etisalat - Phones (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Meet The Founders And Country Of Origin Of MTN, Airtel, Glo And Etisalat (114927 Views)

Best Data Plan Comparison Between MTN Etisalat Airtel GLO / Latest Cheapest Call Tarrif Plan & Migration For MTN, Airtel, Glo And Etisalat / Short Codes To Check Your Mobile Numbers For Mtn,etisalat,glo And Airtel. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Meet The Founders And Country Of Origin Of MTN, Airtel, Glo And Etisalat by Nobody: 10:02am On Apr 25, 2015
runzlord:
see years whey etisalat take use senior them

Us, not them

1 Like

Re: Meet The Founders And Country Of Origin Of MTN, Airtel, Glo And Etisalat by Jennynkk(f): 10:05am On Apr 25, 2015
NO! GLO has the far least subscriber base I got to know this because my uncle works at NCC.

NewNigeriaMind:

Hello, last time I checked Glo has more subscribers than Etisalat and Airtel. Airtel having the least.

Google is your friend, check the official data from the regulators.

Why are you trying so hard to run down a Nigeria firm. did any of glo staff break your heart.
Re: Meet The Founders And Country Of Origin Of MTN, Airtel, Glo And Etisalat by musicwriter(m): 10:05am On Apr 25, 2015
bongolistik:
Apart from Glo, I know most of you have been using this networks of MTN, Airtel and Etislat for years without knowing who their founders are,

Now for those of you that always complain of poor networks from those network providers, meet their founders(CEO), so you can properly channel your grievance to them whenever their network is slow or zaps your data.

1. MTN – The CEO of MTN is the person of Sifiso Dabengwa, the company founded in 1994, MTN is a South-African company with headquarter in Johannesburg

2. Airtel – The CEO of Airtel is Indian Gopal Vittal, the company founded on July 1995. Though the founder is Sunil Bharti Mittal and hence the name of the company you hear as Bharti Airtel.

Remember that the company in the name Airtel has been sold couple of times to different GSM network companies before Bharti Airtel took over-an Indian Company with headquarter in New-Delhi…Airtel former owners are as follows Econet, V-Mobile, Celtel, Zain and now Airtel.

3. Glo – The CEO of Glo as most of you down here already know is in the person Chief Mike Adenuga… Glo is an indigenous Nigerian company founded on 29th of August 2003 with headquarter in Lagos, Nigeria.

4. Etisalat – The last in our list is Etisalat and the CEO is Ahmed Abulkarim Mohd Julfar, Etisalat was founded in 1976 in the United Arab Emirate and with headquarter in Abu-Dhabi

Source: http://highteknology..com/2015/04/meet-ceos-origin-country-and-founded.html

Just to point out that CEO doesn't necessarily mean the owner, unless it's written president/CEO. A CEO may still be an employee and can be fired.

1 Like

Re: Meet The Founders And Country Of Origin Of MTN, Airtel, Glo And Etisalat by Gorimakpa1: 10:07am On Apr 25, 2015
GLO.....SORRY
Re: Meet The Founders And Country Of Origin Of MTN, Airtel, Glo And Etisalat by quest003: 10:08am On Apr 25, 2015
Jennynkk:
MTN, ETISALAT, AND AIRTEL are all doing well except GLO which has died a natural death. whenever I pick up my phone I hardly see GLO numbers on it. Besides of all the networks GLO has the poorest and worst service. I cannot wish my enemy GLO.
you can say that again

1 Like

Re: Meet The Founders And Country Of Origin Of MTN, Airtel, Glo And Etisalat by NewNigeriaMind: 10:13am On Apr 25, 2015
Jennynkk:
NO! GLO has the far least subscriber base I got to know this because my uncle works at NCC.

They need to sack your uncle and fast, if that is the information he is feeding you. its either is a gateman at NCC or your are telling a lie.

The article below was as at September 2014:

Nigeria’s national telecommunications carrier, Globacom has reclaimed it’s number two spot in terms of active subscriber base, according to the latest information released by the Nigerian Communications Commission.

Few months earlier Globacom had conceded second position Airtel.

Indication from NCC’s website, Glo’s subscriber base climbed up by 2.8 million new subscribers between February and June this year, the largest by any operator in the country within the period.

Overall Glo had 27,327,646 subscribers on its network at the end of June, 2014. The figure translates to 21 per cent share of the Nigerian telecoms market, and places Glo second to MTN which has 56,516,759.

Source:

http://nairabrains.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/number-of-mobile-phone-subscribers-Nigeria-June-2014.png

1 Like

Re: Meet The Founders And Country Of Origin Of MTN, Airtel, Glo And Etisalat by CoCoLav(f): 10:13am On Apr 25, 2015
adextetoo:
no pix? and can anybody tell us the full meaning of Etisalat sef.

Emerging Markets Telecommunications Services Ltd

2 Likes

Re: Meet The Founders And Country Of Origin Of MTN, Airtel, Glo And Etisalat by Jennynkk(f): 10:15am On Apr 25, 2015
Your report was from June 2014, my uncle said that as at January 2015 that glo has the least subscriber base.

[s]

NewNigeriaMind:

They need to sack your uncle and fast, if that is the information he is feeding you. its either is a gateman at NCC or your are telling a lie.

The article below was as at September 2014:

Nigeria’s national telecommunications carrier, Globacom has reclaimed it’s number two spot in terms of active subscriber base, according to the latest information released by the Nigerian Communications Commission.

Few months earlier Globacom had conceded second position Airtel.

Indication from NCC’s website, Glo’s subscriber base climbed up by 2.8 million new subscribers between February and June this year, the largest by any operator in the country within the period.

Overall Glo had 27,327,646 subscribers on its network at the end of June, 2014. The figure translates to 21 per cent share of the Nigerian telecoms market, and places Glo second to MTN which has 56,516,759.

Source:

http://nairabrains.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/number-of-mobile-phone-subscribers-Nigeria-June-2014.png

[/s]

1 Like

Re: Meet The Founders And Country Of Origin Of MTN, Airtel, Glo And Etisalat by Deputyvictor(m): 10:15am On Apr 25, 2015
I wanted to say dat b4, but I was thinking may be I've gotten a wrong info. B4 about Etisalat Nigeria

well etisalat been the oldest wat were they using it for den those years back...

May be it was been used for something else b4, later they started using it for networks.

Anyway it is gud.
Re: Meet The Founders And Country Of Origin Of MTN, Airtel, Glo And Etisalat by ifedahyoh44(m): 10:16am On Apr 25, 2015
these pple knw say na only naija they can survive and siphon their gain. they keep cheating us and the call charges are high cost.
a frd of my said etisalat was very cheap in dubai as par call rate n sim but in naija high. hmmmm, too bad.
Re: Meet The Founders And Country Of Origin Of MTN, Airtel, Glo And Etisalat by NewNigeriaMind: 10:16am On Apr 25, 2015
Some of you will come online and start spreading falsehood, forgetting there is google and all information are out there:

OPERATORS DATA BASE

The table below displays the number of subscribers per each individual telecoms operator on a quarterly basis

Latest Data: Quarter 4 - 2014
Operator
MTN Nigeria Communications
Globacom Limited
Airtel Nigeria
MTEL Limited
EMTS Limited (Etisalat)
Sub-Total (GSM)
Starcomms Limited
Visafone Limited
Multilinks Telkom
Reliance Telecoms (Zoom)
Sub-Total (CDMA)
Starcomms Limited
Visafone Limited
Multilinks Telkom
Reliance Telecoms (Zoom)
Intercellular Nigeria Limited
VGC/MTN
MTS 1st Communications
21st Century Technologies
disc Communications
WiTEL
O'Net (Odua Telecom)
Rainbownet Limited
Monarch Communications
XS BROADBAND
Webcom
IPNX
NITEL
Globacom Limited
Sub-Total (Fixed/Fixed Wireless)
TOTAL
% of Mobile (GSM)
% of Mobile (CDMA)
% of Fixed/Fixed Wireless
Re: Meet The Founders And Country Of Origin Of MTN, Airtel, Glo And Etisalat by DeLaRue: 10:17am On Apr 25, 2015
haftob:
But Etisalat Nigeria (EMTS) is owned by Bello Hakim Osagie mayb he bought the etisalat franchise

He's Chairman of Etisalat Nigeria, but a minority shareholder in the company. Basically, he owns a small portion of the company.

Same way Dozie is Chairman of MTN, but only owns a small percentage of shares in the company alongside a few other Nigerians.

Equally, Oba Otudeko is Chairman of Airtel Nigeria, but only owns a minority stake in the company.

None of these people own the company, but if you're a foreign investor owner of a large company in Nigeria, it makes sense to have a Nigerian as a Chairman as they can use their local connection with govt to ensure that your business has a level playing field with competitors.

GLO is Nigeria's only indigenous mega phone company.

4 Likes

Re: Meet The Founders And Country Of Origin Of MTN, Airtel, Glo And Etisalat by james809: 10:18am On Apr 25, 2015
hmmmmmmmmmmm
Re: Meet The Founders And Country Of Origin Of MTN, Airtel, Glo And Etisalat by NewNigeriaMind: 10:18am On Apr 25, 2015
Jennynkk:
Your report was from June 2014, my uncle said that as at January 2015 that glo has the least subscriber base.

This is another detail on NCC website as at 31 December 2014.
http://www.ncc.gov.ng/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=70:art-statistics-operator&catid=65&Itemid=76
Re: Meet The Founders And Country Of Origin Of MTN, Airtel, Glo And Etisalat by Nobody: 10:20am On Apr 25, 2015
Etisalat is my favourite,been using it for five years now,but airtel(econet) was my first line back then.

1 Like

Re: Meet The Founders And Country Of Origin Of MTN, Airtel, Glo And Etisalat by DeLaRue: 10:23am On Apr 25, 2015
Jennynkk:

You go around saying Glo is the worst without telling us why.

Then suddenly, your uncle works at the NCC. And this your uncle sits with you to analyse subscription figures on a quarterly (or annual) basis abi.

Your auntie nko, where does she work? Better keep your personal anti - Glo agenda to yourself.

I left MTN 3 yrs ago and have been using Glo. I have no complaints. Occasional network disruption here and there, but people around me that use MTN face similar problems.

Your user experience on any network in Nigeria depends largely on your location.

2 Likes

Re: Meet The Founders And Country Of Origin Of MTN, Airtel, Glo And Etisalat by pipz(m): 10:25am On Apr 25, 2015
To me Etisalat is the best network. I have never complained. My other line is MTN and that's secondary.

Etisalat parent company is Emerging Markets Telecommunication Services (EMTS), trading as Etisalat Nigeria, its a private company owned jointly by Mubadala and Etisalat.The company was founded in 2008 and is based in Lagos, Nigeria

Etisalat Nigeria

Etisalat signed an agreement to acquire 40% of and manage Emerging Markets Telecommunications Services (EMTS), Nigeria’s fourth GSM operator, it began commercial operations trading as Etisalat Nigeria in October 2008. It is now operating with over 14 million subscribers, and launched one of the first major broadband services in Nigeria – EasyBlaze. Etisalat is known for its innovative products and services such as the Eco Sim and the first network to offer special numbers to Nigerians as their mobile numbers via the 0809uchoose campaign.
In April 2013, Etisalat Nigeria announced it would invest $500 million to expand its network, enabling further potential market growth of 17%. In June 2013, it launched the Etisalat Prize for Literature the first pan-African prize for debut published writers.

Source: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etisalat
Re: Meet The Founders And Country Of Origin Of MTN, Airtel, Glo And Etisalat by NewNigeriaMind: 10:26am On Apr 25, 2015
Jennynkk:

You and your uncle need to be investigated,

There are no official statistics on the NCC website for January 2015 to day, the reports are quarterly reports.

As at 31 December 2014, on official stats released by NCC. Glo comes higher than Airtel and Etisalat.

Another major lie is that it has the lease number of subscribers, how can etisalat overtake Glo, when as at 31 December 2014, Glo subscriber base is almost double Etisalat. did aliens start buying etisalat lines in January.

You need to give the hate campaign a rest.

2 Likes

Re: Meet The Founders And Country Of Origin Of MTN, Airtel, Glo And Etisalat by dapsonlou(m): 10:31am On Apr 25, 2015
haftob:
But Etisalat Nigeria (EMTS) is owned by Bello Hakim Osagie mayb he bought the etisalat franchise

He doesn't own Glow Nigeria, he works there or he's a share holder.
Re: Meet The Founders And Country Of Origin Of MTN, Airtel, Glo And Etisalat by DeLaRue: 10:32am On Apr 25, 2015
musicwriter:

Just to point out that CEO doesn't necessarily mean the owner, unless it's written president/CEO. A CEO may still be an employee and can be fired.

Even 'President/CEO' or 'Chairman/CEO' is not an indication of ownership.

These are just mere titles.
Re: Meet The Founders And Country Of Origin Of MTN, Airtel, Glo And Etisalat by pipz(m): 10:38am On Apr 25, 2015
CoCoLav:

Emerging Technologies Services Ltd

Etisalat literally means communications in Arabic
Re: Meet The Founders And Country Of Origin Of MTN, Airtel, Glo And Etisalat by UncleJudax(m): 10:40am On Apr 25, 2015
oluwagadaffi:
The more reason why we should patronize Glo, indigienous stuff............................................................#TeamGlo.
He he he. Ya right! undecided
Re: Meet The Founders And Country Of Origin Of MTN, Airtel, Glo And Etisalat by walemadu: 10:40am On Apr 25, 2015
heard proceeds from Etisalat is used to fund islam and terrorist organisations like alqaeda, boko haram and isis
Re: Meet The Founders And Country Of Origin Of MTN, Airtel, Glo And Etisalat by kevyngbash(m): 10:41am On Apr 25, 2015
@op.
Who is the founder of mtn. Your topic says 'founders and country of origin
Re: Meet The Founders And Country Of Origin Of MTN, Airtel, Glo And Etisalat by Nobody: 10:42am On Apr 25, 2015
etisalat Nigeria is a franchise bought from etisalat of Arab
Re: Meet The Founders And Country Of Origin Of MTN, Airtel, Glo And Etisalat by UncleJudax(m): 10:44am On Apr 25, 2015
NewNigeriaMind:
Every sensible Nigerian should have a glo line.

As Nigerians we must support our own.

That is what works for the Indians and south africans.

I am buying a glo sim in kaduna today.

Until glo gets to the USA

You just realised glo is indigenous? Too little too late.

1 Like

Re: Meet The Founders And Country Of Origin Of MTN, Airtel, Glo And Etisalat by Nobody: 10:48am On Apr 25, 2015
Re: Meet The Founders And Country Of Origin Of MTN, Airtel, Glo And Etisalat by hardeyemoh(m): 10:49am On Apr 25, 2015
undecided watin dis one dey talk
Re: Meet The Founders And Country Of Origin Of MTN, Airtel, Glo And Etisalat by popiong(m): 10:53am On Apr 25, 2015
haftob:

you are right and he was the former CEO of UBA before their merging with standard trust bank
Re: Meet The Founders And Country Of Origin Of MTN, Airtel, Glo And Etisalat by RAO1(m): 11:05am On Apr 25, 2015
Chief Mik Adenuga Jnr......My secondary school old boy.....

My glo line in existence since 2005....

#IbadanGrammarSchool
Re: Meet The Founders And Country Of Origin Of MTN, Airtel, Glo And Etisalat by Tobilastik(m): 11:05am On Apr 25, 2015
Jennynkk:
MTN, ETISALAT, AND AIRTEL are all doing well except GLO which has died a natural death. whenever I pick up my phone I hardly see GLO numbers on it. Besides of all the networks GLO has the poorest and worst service. I cannot wish my enemy GLO.

pple do use Glo in Ogun state .

when I went there.....like 8 girls I met gave me glo no. ..I jxt delete it immediately dy give me..same with guys too.
..nd dos old pple use it too
Re: Meet The Founders And Country Of Origin Of MTN, Airtel, Glo And Etisalat by Nobody: 11:09am On Apr 25, 2015
akashi01:
What about jona?? i heard he brought internet to Nigeria?? grin cheesy grin grin angry angry

nonsenze

He brought Facebook

Obasanjo brought GSM and Nokia ..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Dropboxing service *all Android Apps and Games {HD included} supported* / A New Tecno Phone (tecno N3) -soon! / Mtn Online Sim Replacement: Is It Possible?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.