Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,438 members, 7,954,736 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 08:12 AM

Is A Prayerless Christian Really A Powerless Christian? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is A Prayerless Christian Really A Powerless Christian? (19599 Views)

Is Pastor Kumuyi Really A Human Being? / The Devil Is Powerless Without Your Fear. / A Prayerless Christian Is A Playing Christian (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is A Prayerless Christian Really A Powerless Christian? by Nobody: 4:01pm On Apr 26, 2015
christaddicted:
Op, prayer is as essential as the air you breath.
How else will you communicate to/with God if not through prayer.

Besides, prayer is one of the major acts of righteousness. They re as follows:
-Prayer
-Fast
-Give (give or devote your time(quality time with God in the place of studying the Word), treasure & talent to the waill,commandment or law of God & to His kingdom)

My Lord Jesus did it & led the Way for me to follow.

If you don't pray, you become a prey.

Have u forgotten that verse that says "this cannot go out except by PRAYING & fasting"? That was what Jesus said to His apostles.

I obtain power in the place of prayer.

My encounters with demons, witches, occultists & marine spirits confirmed my prayer life.

Op really needs a strong teaching class.

Best comment on this thread!
Re: Is A Prayerless Christian Really A Powerless Christian? by gracespeaks: 4:12pm On Apr 26, 2015
femi4:
Power to witness is what the scripture is talking about in Act 1:8
Prayer is a sustainer,its a link to God n a necessity,cum to tink of it bro, why was Jesus always leaving d crowd silently n go to pray. Despite d fact dat d fullness He carries know no limit. Show me a prayerless Christian n I will show u a sounding brass.1thess5:17 so short but powerful. And by d way what is prayer? It is communication with God who is d source of power,can a man disconnect from a source n still enjoy from dat same source. Tnx bro
lolaredvelvet:

Best comment on this thread!
femi4:
Power to witness is what the scripture is talking about in Act 1:8
Prayer is a sustainer,its a link to God n a necessity,cum to tink of it bro, why was Jesus always leaving d crowd silently n go to pray. Despite d fact dat d fullness He carries know no limit. Show me a prayerless Christian n I will show u a sounding brass.1thess5:17 so short but powerful. And by d way what is prayer? It is communication with God who is d source of power,can a man disconnect from a source n still enjoy from dat same source. Tnx bro

1 Like

Re: Is A Prayerless Christian Really A Powerless Christian? by christaddicted: 4:19pm On Apr 26, 2015
movyyzz:
Scriptural back-up from the old and new testament..... please....

Beloved, it will be expedient i oblige you to spend quality time with the scripture through the help of the Holy Spirit. May the Lord give you more grace.

1 Like

Re: Is A Prayerless Christian Really A Powerless Christian? by Nobody: 4:42pm On Apr 26, 2015
God bless you too
femi4:
God bless you, you don reduce my work
Re: Is A Prayerless Christian Really A Powerless Christian? by Nobody: 4:48pm On Apr 26, 2015
Do you know for the Holy Spirit to empower you, you must be mature in the Lord. One of the sign of this maturity is your prayer life.
Gombs:

You get me wrongly, I never said prayers is baseless... I said however, the fact that a Christian doesn't pray doesn't mean he wasn't endowed with power from God. As he can't or wouldn't pray, he cannot use those powers.

1 Like

Re: Is A Prayerless Christian Really A Powerless Christian? by Tosadi(m): 4:49pm On Apr 26, 2015
From Matthew to John, you read accounts of Jesus Himself praying. The question is if Jesus prayed and believed in the power of prayer, should we His disciples not do same?
Do you remember?
Paul & Silas prayed & sang, and were delivered.
The Christians were praying for Peter, and his chains were loosed, and the prison gate openned.
Prayer is not only when you stay long on your knees. or in the church. Rather, prayer is anyway by which you sincerely get connected with God. While walking, jogging, driving, bathing or whatever, you could connect to God in your mind. I tell you, He hears. That's why we are told to pray without season.

1 Like

Re: Is A Prayerless Christian Really A Powerless Christian? by kodlins(f): 5:03pm On Apr 26, 2015
Obviously now. They were in one accord praying!!
Moreover, it was already a promise by the Father.
Gombs:

Did the apostles pray before they received power? If yes, show proof. Put Acts 1:8 in perspective

Thanks.
Re: Is A Prayerless Christian Really A Powerless Christian? by eripecs(f): 5:36pm On Apr 26, 2015
Ymodulus:
Typing

Prayer leads to a false sense of accomplishment. That false sense of accomplishment stymies action to address real world problems.

While the main purpose of prayer may be to help others, it never demonstrably does that. Prayers benefit only those believers who say or hear them. Prayer gives them comfort. It lets them think they have some control over a situation that may be out of their hands. It’s the last resort of people who have run out of ideas, and the first resort of people who never bothered to think about how they could actually fix the problem at hand.

It is illogical, even in religious terms. If God has a plan, why try to thwart it? If God can be swayed by prayers, what kind of God would allow the horrors we see in the world? And if two devout believers pray for different things, how does God choose the winner?

In Conclusion Prayer is useless and as such does not give or make someone powerful

if there is any time you need Jesus it is now. Great philosophers and atheists have come to realize the naughtiness of their beliefs at the point of death, but was too late. Don't be unwise like them! Take the decision now. Accept Jesus into your life now cos he loves you. Tomorrow may mean goodbye!

1 Like

Re: Is A Prayerless Christian Really A Powerless Christian? by prophetfire: 6:24pm On Apr 26, 2015
Gombs:
But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth (Acts 1:8 ).

Some people say, "A prayer-less Christian is a powerless Christian". But power doesn't come by prayer. In the New Testament, the word "power" is frequently translated from two words, namely: "dunamis" which is the dynamic ability to cause changes and "exousia" which is authority.

Jesus refers to power in our opening verse. You received it when the Holy Spirit came into your life; you didn't get it through the effect of prayer. On the other hand, 'exousia' or authority means delegated power. The effect and the efficacy of authority depends on the power that's behind it.

We've been given authority in Christ Jesus to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power (ability) of the enemy (Luke 10:19). The "power" that's behind our authority is the power of the Almighty God. This, again, didn't come by or through prayer; it was bequeathed to us in Christ as our heritage.

In Matthew 28:18, Jesus said, "...All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth". That word, "power" again is translated from the Greek word "exousia", authority. In the next verse He said, "Go ye therefore...." He delegated His authority to us immediately. Halleluiah!

It's important for us to know what we have in Christ Jesus; we have authority in His Name! We have power to effect changes and live the supernatural life every day. I would to God that Christians would know this! What impact and changes we'll make in this world!

You're fully equipped with divine power to preach the Gospel and change the world! That power is in you through the Holy Spirit.
They were praying when the Holy Spirit came. Also in acts 4, after they were harassed, they went to God in prayer and as they were praying there was fresh release of Holy Spirit power.
Re: Is A Prayerless Christian Really A Powerless Christian? by hijodedios: 6:44pm On Apr 26, 2015
Ymodulus:
Typing

Prayer leads to a false sense of accomplishment. That false sense of accomplishment stymies action to address real world problems.

While the main purpose of prayer may be to help others, it never demonstrably does that. Prayers benefit only those believers who say or hear them. Prayer gives them comfort. It lets them think they have some control over a situation that may be out of their hands. It’s the last resort of people who have run out of ideas, and the first resort of people who never bothered to think about how they could actually fix the problem at hand.

It is illogical, even in religious terms. If God has a plan, why try to thwart it? If God can be swayed by prayers, what kind of God would allow the horrors we see in the world? And if two devout believers pray for different things, how does God choose the winner?

In Conclusion Prayer is useless and as such does not give or make someone powerful

Get behind me satan,,,,,in christs voice to st peter.I know its not you who speaks really but the devil hiding behind your ignorance,stop leading away the weak in knowledge.
Re: Is A Prayerless Christian Really A Powerless Christian? by motherlode: 7:37pm On Apr 26, 2015
blueseacats:
In my opinion, xtianity is a religion, being like christ is a duty, being prayerful is part of dat duty.
i wonder when Christianity turn Xtianity, please were the apostles called Xtians? or is X now a replacement for Christ?
Please try to learn to write the full word CHRISTIANITY and not shorten it to become nonsense like this XTIANITY :-/

1 Like

Re: Is A Prayerless Christian Really A Powerless Christian? by motherlode: 7:41pm On Apr 26, 2015
emmkid:
.na tru tok, tokin from Experience! 1st tym in ma lyf! 1st page tins, dedicated to My Gf, Oyeniyi Oluyinka Hannah, my patience since d day i signed up iyaf payoff,

Are you kidding me? That means that Hannah had been cheating all this while! undecided

BROS NO GET HEART ATTACK OOO na play i be follow you play ooo
Re: Is A Prayerless Christian Really A Powerless Christian? by Onyi4live(m): 8:20pm On Apr 26, 2015
Prayers is a waist of time because it doesn't work
Re: Is A Prayerless Christian Really A Powerless Christian? by vooks: 9:07pm On Apr 26, 2015
Power does not come through/by prayer......what then is the purpose of prayer?
Gombs:
But power doesn't come by prayer.

This, again, didn't come by or through prayer

Re: Is A Prayerless Christian Really A Powerless Christian? by Image123(m): 9:14pm On Apr 26, 2015
lol @Gombs. Of course, a prayerless Christian is a powerless Christian. I've experienced the two and know the difference. BTW, the OP text CLEARLY talks of receiving power AFTER not when the Holy Ghost comes. Caveat though, there are different sources of power just like physically power can be generated in different quantity by sources like solar, hydro, thermal etc.
Re: Is A Prayerless Christian Really A Powerless Christian? by Yasher: 9:36pm On Apr 26, 2015
Dpearlz:

But after receiving Jesus as your personal Lord and Saviour, you've got to PRAY to God to give you the gift of the Holy Spirit before you can receive Him, which in turn allows God's power to dwell in you. Thus you can't receive God's power without prayer. (Luke 11:13)
I get your point. But the thread is addressing "Christians" that means those in the faith already.
Re: Is A Prayerless Christian Really A Powerless Christian? by Gombs(m): 9:49pm On Apr 26, 2015
vooks:

Power does not come through/by prayer......what then is the purpose of prayer?

To get power?

Chaii
Re: Is A Prayerless Christian Really A Powerless Christian? by upwardmode: 10:22pm On Apr 26, 2015
In an attempt to answer a few of the questions raised here and put to rest some ignorantia, I will start by calling your attention to 2chronicles7:14 'if my people(God's Children or sinners asking for mercy),which are called by my name(JESUS),shall humble themselves and 'PRAY'(this is a must as you can see it been orderd by the author of our faith himself),and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven(God is not deaf, so if you dont receive an answer check yourself), and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

In summary if you are not a child of God please endeavour to change your ways cos to serve God sweet ooo. We serve a God that has instructed us to pray and the assurance that when we do so in his will he will hear us and definitely whatsoever we ask when we pray(including power) will b made available.

God loves you all.
Re: Is A Prayerless Christian Really A Powerless Christian? by omojeesu(m): 10:52pm On Apr 26, 2015
YES INDEED A PRAYERLESS CHRISTIAN IS A POWERLESS CHRISTIAN. BUT FOR PRAYER TO EVEN BE EFFECTIVE IT MUST BE BASED ON CORRECT APPLICATION OF THE WORD OF GOD. UNFORTUNATELY THESE DAYS WE HEAR ALL KINDS OF PRAYER THAT ARE NOT BIBLE BASED. SOME ARE JUST BASED ON OUR TRADITION. NEW CONVERTS AND YOUNG BELIEVERS CAN BE EXCUSED FOR NOT PRAYING PROPERLY. BUT OLDER BELIEVERS HAVE NO EXCUSE.

GREAT SERVANTS OF GOD OF ALL AGES ARE MEN AND WOMEN GIVEN TO THE WORD, PRAYER, PRAISE AND WORSHIP NOT JUST A MATTER OF DUTY BUT BECAUSE THEY LOVED THEIR GOD AND FELLOW HUMANS.

EFFECTIVE PRAYER DRAWS US CLOSER TO GOD AND HIS LIFE RUBS ON US. IN THESE LAST DAYS LETS RECEIVE GRACE TO BE MORE EFFECTIVE IN PRAYER. GOD BLESS ALL COMMENTATORS TO THE TOPIC.
Re: Is A Prayerless Christian Really A Powerless Christian? by saintdipo1: 11:39pm On Apr 26, 2015
Prayer makes a christian to retain the power of God that is in him,the spirit of GOD and the angel of GOD can not go into action without your prayer; it is just like you are charging A battery to its fullest, the battery is the power and the charger is the prayer, for it is written in the book of 1Cor. 14.4 that "he that speaketh in unknown tongue build up hImself". That is to say yu are building up the power of God in yoU whenever U pray. Why did our Lord Jesus aLways leave his disciple to pray? It is because prayer Isvery important to his spiritual growth, it is just that yoU planted a seed and u are watering it; the seed is the powwer and the water is the prayer, as a child of God you must not underestimate the power of prayer.
Re: Is A Prayerless Christian Really A Powerless Christian? by NumberOne2(m): 11:51pm On Apr 26, 2015
OP, stop lifting your Pastor's messages (both right and wrong). Study the life of Jesus who is our perfect example.

Prayer is COMMUNICATION with GOD. So how can a Christian not commune with the FATHER and have Power?
Even Jesus left his disciples MANY times to pray (Matt 14:23).

Paul said, "I thank God I speak in tongues more than you all." (1 Cor 14:18). What do you think speaking in tongues is? Is it not prayers?
Prayers help you recharge your spiritual batteries. That is POWER+

Dont get it twisted, A PRAYERLESS CHRISTIAN IS A GODLESS CHRISTIAN (thus Powerless and probably useless)
Re: Is A Prayerless Christian Really A Powerless Christian? by Image123(m): 1:44am On Apr 27, 2015
NumberOne2:

Dont get it twisted, A PRAYERLESS CHRISTIAN IS A GODLESS CHRISTIAN (thus Powerless and probably useless)

Oops.
Re: Is A Prayerless Christian Really A Powerless Christian? by poik(m): 6:59am On Apr 27, 2015
Gombs:
But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth (Acts 1:8 ).

Some people say, "A prayer-less Christian is a powerless Christian". But power doesn't come by prayer. In the New Testament, the word "power" is frequently translated from two words, namely: "dunamis" which is the dynamic ability to cause changes and "exousia" which is authority.

Jesus refers to power in our opening verse. You received it when the Holy Spirit came into your life; you didn't get it through the effect of prayer. On the other hand, 'exousia' or authority means delegated power. The effect and the efficacy of authority depends on the power that's behind it.

We've been given authority in Christ Jesus to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power (ability) of the enemy (Luke 10:19). The "power" that's behind our authority is the power of the Almighty God. This, again, didn't come by or through prayer; it was bequeathed to us in Christ as our heritage.

In Matthew 28:18, Jesus said, "...All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth". That word, "power" again is translated from the Greek word "exousia", authority. In the next verse He said, "Go ye therefore...." He delegated His authority to us immediately. Halleluiah!

It's important for us to know what we have in Christ Jesus; we have authority in His Name! We have power to effect changes and live the supernatural life every day. I would to God that Christians would know this! What impact and changes we'll make in this world!

You're fully equipped with divine power to preach the Gospel and change the world! That power is in you through the Holy Spirit.

Brother, the fact that your submission is true does not in any way undermine the importance of prayer in A Christian's life. 1 Thessalonians 5 says Pray without ceasing. Things like spiritual growth, difficult battles and situations are ONLY conquered and achieved on one's knees, and not any other way. Christ knows all we need (Mat. 6) yet he commands us to ask ( Mat 7). Let's not be indolent and lax as Christians. We are soldiers.
Re: Is A Prayerless Christian Really A Powerless Christian? by poik(m): 7:04am On Apr 27, 2015
Ymodulus:
Typing

Your display message has told me all I need to know. My Bible calls you a fool. Simple.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is A Prayerless Christian Really A Powerless Christian? by SalC: 7:06am On Apr 27, 2015
Gombs:

Did the apostles pray before they received power? If yes, show proof. Put Acts 1:8 in perspective

Thanks.
Yes they did, in Acts 1:14 they gather frequently as a group to pray........

If we compare that verse with Acts 2:1 where the believers were all gathered together before the coming of the Holy Spirit came, and that they gather frequently to pray, we can say they were gathered for prayers in Acts 2:1 as usual when the Holy Spirit came upon.

Though Jesus already asked them to stay back in Jerusalem and wait for the Holy Spirit, they didn't just sit back, they continued in prayers.

1 Like

Re: Is A Prayerless Christian Really A Powerless Christian? by pomsky: 7:38am On Apr 27, 2015
Gombs:

[size=13pt]......i get tired of all these theoretical concepts and postulations that carry no practical deliveries.
When problems and challenges of life come, it is then you will know whether prayerlessness equals powerlessness.
Lazy folks that are always researching easy routes of escape, whether practical or not![/size]
Re: Is A Prayerless Christian Really A Powerless Christian? by vooks: 7:45am On Apr 27, 2015
Why do we pray?

And please quit mindlessly plagiarizing Oyaks
https://www.facebook.com/yookosprayer/posts/864102340317898

Gombs:

To get power?

Chaii

Re: Is A Prayerless Christian Really A Powerless Christian? by segsman(m): 10:17am On Apr 27, 2015
Ymodulus:
Typing

how can you say prayer is useless the book of Luke 18:1 say we ought to pray even the bible command us to Pray without season. Even as powerful as the lord Jesus is he prayed for hours.... Please if u dont know anything about the bible just shot up and dont mislead pple

1 Like

Re: Is A Prayerless Christian Really A Powerless Christian? by principia: 10:42am On Apr 27, 2015
Prayer is a platform for empowerment. mind you, power is in levels. The Apostles received power as stated in Act 1:8. However, when the prayed in Act 4:27-33, the experienced a greater dimension of power.
In Luke 4:14, Jesus returned in the power of the Spirit after prayer n fasting 40 days.
In Luke 5:16 He withdrew to pray and verse 17 power was available to heal
In Luke 9: 28-29, Jesus prayed to the point where His countenance was altered, and in verse 43, the Mighty power of God manifested.
Paul the Apostle that demonstrated so much power was given to fastings and prayers often 2 Cor 9: 27, infact even devils confess Paul I know!

Even if all power has been given to us, it must be enforced through prayer.

As a Christian, the power in you is like a battery. When you spend time in God's presence its charged and must be charged everyday to match the demands of the day. When a Christian is prayer less, the power level is flat. I am not taking about theoretical power but practical power with proves and that is enhanced through prayer and fasting.

1 Like

Re: Is A Prayerless Christian Really A Powerless Christian? by kabhohd(m): 10:46am On Apr 27, 2015
It is true that power comes with the baptism of the HolyGhost, however it is through prayer that we activate and build up this power. Jesus, with all he power still prayed always, and after delegating authority to his disciples told them 'howbeit this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting', when they couldn't cast out a unique demon. Mat 17:21.
More so, Jude 1:20 says 'But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost,'
Re: Is A Prayerless Christian Really A Powerless Christian? by principia: 11:08am On Apr 27, 2015
Believers in Christ, Let not be deceived.

Prayer is hardware, there is not software for prayers

We must all be on our knees daily to communicate to our Father God.
Re: Is A Prayerless Christian Really A Powerless Christian? by Gombs(m): 11:56am On Apr 27, 2015
vooks:
Why do we pray?

And please quit mindlessly plagiarizing Oyaks
https://www.facebook.com/yookosprayer/posts/864102340317898

You're this desperate? Hahaaahahahhahahaha

Most of my short topics are from ROR, go check them all.... How's that plagiarism, if I never claimed authorship?

Get serious and find something to do with your time.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

What's Your Longest Period Of Fasting And How Was It Accomplished? / I'm A Pentecostal, I Attended A Catholic Church For The First Time And... / Will Christians Be Around During The Great Tribulation?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.