Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,606 members, 7,809,218 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:38 AM

Nigerian Police Uses Cctv Images To Capture Bank Robbery Syndicate - - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Police Uses Cctv Images To Capture Bank Robbery Syndicate - (8972 Views)

Card Reader Fails To Capture Jonathan At Bayelsa Governorship Election / PHOTO: Lekki Bank Robbery Suspects Paraded / Police Smash Robbery Syndicate Which Killed 25 Cops (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Police Uses Cctv Images To Capture Bank Robbery Syndicate - by BOSS6: 9:36pm On Feb 02, 2009
I am sure it is a dawn of new things in Nigeria. I watched CCTV images of armed robbery live in a bank in Nigeria, the police used these images to capture a few of the armed gang members.

This is a great development, I am sure this is just the begining. I expect doom sayers to rubbish this as usual.
Re: Nigerian Police Uses Cctv Images To Capture Bank Robbery Syndicate - by mustafar1: 9:37pm On Feb 02, 2009
can i get a link to watch the cctv images as well. where they caught at the bank or while they were sharing the money or was it while they were sharing the money. or was it an innocent goat that got arrested with traces of paper in its mouth and they thot it had eaten some of the bills to hide evidence.
Re: Nigerian Police Uses Cctv Images To Capture Bank Robbery Syndicate - by BOSS7: 9:39pm On Feb 02, 2009
.B.O.S.S.:

I am sure it is a dawn of new things in Nigeria. I watched CCTV images of armed robbery live in a bank in Nigeria, the police used these images to capture a few of the armed gang members.

This is a great development, I am sure this is just the begining. I expect doom sayers to rubbish this as usual.

YOU REALLY ARE LOSING IT RIGHT NOW. YOU ARE BARKING MAD!
Re: Nigerian Police Uses Cctv Images To Capture Bank Robbery Syndicate - by DisGuy: 9:39pm On Feb 02, 2009
i just saw it on nta  only thing is they didn't show the criminals after they've been arrested, they didn't name them
i dont believe okiro!
Re: Nigerian Police Uses Cctv Images To Capture Bank Robbery Syndicate - by BOSS6: 9:43pm On Feb 02, 2009
B.O.S.S.:

YOU REALLY ARE LOSING IT RIGHT NOW. YOU ARE BARKING MAD!

Yea, i am barking mad because your father will soon be caught in one of his robbery escapades. just watch.
Re: Nigerian Police Uses Cctv Images To Capture Bank Robbery Syndicate - by BOSS7: 9:45pm On Feb 02, 2009
.B.O.S.S.:

Yea, i am barking mad because your father will soon be caught in one of his robbery escapades. just watch.
grin grin grin

RETARD!
Re: Nigerian Police Uses Cctv Images To Capture Bank Robbery Syndicate - by bindex(m): 9:48pm On Feb 02, 2009
How will the CCTV identify the robbers? do they have a database with people's Id stored in it?
Re: Nigerian Police Uses Cctv Images To Capture Bank Robbery Syndicate - by jensinmi(m): 10:11pm On Feb 02, 2009
@bindex

Touche.
Re: Nigerian Police Uses Cctv Images To Capture Bank Robbery Syndicate - by Kobojunkie: 10:37pm On Feb 02, 2009
bindex:

How will the CCTV identify the robbers? do they have a database with people's Id stored in it?

I always wondered about that. There are no posters on streets asking the public for help to identify these persons but somehow, someway the police manages to arrest persons in these cases. You always wonder if they ever caught the right people or just took persons off the streets so they can close the case or something.

I remember our tailor getting arrested back some years ago. Out of the blues, the police appeared and accused him and his apprentices of armed robbery. Luckily for the guy, his father was a well respected man in the area and so the police let him go. Only some of the apprentices where taken in. We may never really know the truth on that one case. If you ask me, I would swear the man is not the kind to get involved in such.
Re: Nigerian Police Uses Cctv Images To Capture Bank Robbery Syndicate - by bindex(m): 11:58pm On Feb 02, 2009
Kobojunkie:

I always wondered about that. There are no posters on streets asking the public for help to identify these persons but somehow, someway the police manages to arrest persons in these cases. You always wonder if they ever caught the right people or just took persons off the streets so they can close the case or something.

I remember our tailor getting arrested back some years ago. Out of the blues, the police appeared and accused him and his apprentices of armed robbery. Luckily for the guy, his father was a well respected man in the area and so the police let him go. Only some of the apprentices where taken in. We may never really know the truth on that one case. If you ask me, I would swear the man is not the kind to get involved in such.

This is not new in Nigeria, its very common. There are so many innocent people languishing in Nigerian jail for crimes they never committed.
Re: Nigerian Police Uses Cctv Images To Capture Bank Robbery Syndicate - by Jakumo(m): 10:34am On Feb 03, 2009
The use of CCVT footage by Nigerian law enforcement to identify and track down bandits is a very promising and positive development.   The identification of armed robbery suspects from CCTV video footage may have been possible so quickly in this particular instance because the robbers may have been previously known to the police and possibly even to people in the neighborhood of the robbery location.

The Nigerian police should be encouraged to make public as many robbery suspect video and still images as possible, since that measure alone will make robbers think twice before they boldly walk into banks to stage robberies while wearing no disguises or masks.   With the need to don disguises forced on bank robbers by the unblinking hidden eye of the CCTV camera, their presence in banking halls can be detected by the trained eye much earlier than before, buying vital moments needed to quietly alert the police.

As a further counter-measure against unauthorized bank withdrawals in Nigeria, dye-packs should also be introduced into decoy cash bundles placed in the cash drawer at bank counters during working hours.   These dye-packs are designed to trigger electronically when such cash wads are seized and carried past sensors out the bank doors during robberies, causing a small explosion that sprays all the stolen money, and often the suspects, with an INDELIBLE red ink that renders the cash worthless, but also identifies the stained perpetrator as a bank robber.
Re: Nigerian Police Uses Cctv Images To Capture Bank Robbery Syndicate - by superboi(m): 10:41am On Feb 03, 2009
dear grin moderator, save us like nafdac they don start to pirate names oh!!!
Re: Nigerian Police Uses Cctv Images To Capture Bank Robbery Syndicate - by multebrain(m): 10:48am On Feb 03, 2009
.b.o.s.s.  can we see  the link  here  as  a prove that  your post  is  true
Re: Nigerian Police Uses Cctv Images To Capture Bank Robbery Syndicate - by RICHIEBOI1(m): 11:28am On Feb 03, 2009
its true i saw it myself on NTA news last nite. the guys were actually trying to break the automatic slide door with an axe. gosh that was really scary though! you dont need any link to believe i can atest to that.
Re: Nigerian Police Uses Cctv Images To Capture Bank Robbery Syndicate - by MrCrackles(m): 11:31am On Feb 03, 2009
Will the real B.O.S.S please stand up?

Or do we need CCTV to identify the real one?!
Re: Nigerian Police Uses Cctv Images To Capture Bank Robbery Syndicate - by lucabrasi(m): 1:06pm On Feb 03, 2009
bindex:

most robberies tend to be committed by the same set of people,hence the usual captions you get in the papers like"a gang terrorising for example ikeja area or victoria island area e.t.c
most robbers in nigeria are audacious and brazen enough to rob without covering up their faces,so it s really easy getting a facial database in a matter of weeks and then matching it up with criminals caught after
Re: Nigerian Police Uses Cctv Images To Capture Bank Robbery Syndicate - by jamace(m): 1:28pm On Feb 03, 2009
Habba, people try and encourage the NPF for once now. When they paraded thieving humanbeing -turned goat -sheep, you called them names. Now, they used the original oyibo ojuju technology to catch robbers ( that did not turn into goat) and you are trying to rubbish their scientific efforts. Na wa for una sef. Wetin police go do to impress una now Meanwhile, the thieving sheep is still in the guardroom grin grin.
Re: Nigerian Police Uses Cctv Images To Capture Bank Robbery Syndicate - by oderemo(m): 1:42pm On Feb 03, 2009
its going to be real fun reading .b.o.s.s and the BOSS wage war on nl. can this guys use some other word than retard, am gething fed up with that.
Re: Nigerian Police Uses Cctv Images To Capture Bank Robbery Syndicate - by Kobojunkie: 1:53pm On Feb 03, 2009
jamace:

Habba, people try and encourage the NPF for once now. When they paraded thieving humanbeing -turned goat -sheep, you called them names. Now, they used the original oyibo ojuju technology to catch robbers ( that did not turn into goat) and you are trying to rubbish their scientific efforts. Na wa for una sef. Wetin police go do to impress una now Meanwhile, the thieving sheep is still in the guardroom grin grin.

But CCTV is not new in Nigeria. Unless you do not bank at all, you would know that banks have had security cameras in their establishment for ages, yes, in Nigeria. I remember I used to be friends with one of the guards at the bank next to my house. He had monitors in the security booth where he worked to watch what was happening in the bank and response should something not seem in order. Banks and establishments all over Nigeria, some, do have cameras installed to secure their establishment. If a bank is robbed, it behooves the bank to allow the police access to the videos to help in catching the culprits. Only, in this case, unless the thieves are dumb idiots, I don't see why they would rob a bank in their locale, leading the police to catch them easily.
Re: Nigerian Police Uses Cctv Images To Capture Bank Robbery Syndicate - by JustGood(m): 1:58pm On Feb 03, 2009
kobo, I doubt if any of those CCTV cameras in the past was for capturing images. Most of them that I knew of were just for surveillance- they did not record anything
Re: Nigerian Police Uses Cctv Images To Capture Bank Robbery Syndicate - by Kobojunkie: 2:03pm On Feb 03, 2009
JustGood:

kobo, I doubt if any of those CCTV cameras in the past was for capturing images. Most of them that I knew of were just for surveillance- they did not record anything

Recording the videos is not hard. You just use one of those video recorders and push record on it. If nothing happens, you can record over the same tape all day long. lol. This dude had the same brand VCR we had back then, and I remember helping him figure out the settings when he was new to his job.
Re: Nigerian Police Uses Cctv Images To Capture Bank Robbery Syndicate - by JustGood(m): 2:50pm On Feb 03, 2009
Recording is not hard. . . it's the storage and maintenance that may be a problem
Re: Nigerian Police Uses Cctv Images To Capture Bank Robbery Syndicate - by Kobojunkie: 3:49pm On Feb 03, 2009
Storage and maintainance of the VCR or the VHS tapes? I am not sure what you mean.
Re: Nigerian Police Uses Cctv Images To Capture Bank Robbery Syndicate - by mustafar1: 4:52pm On Feb 03, 2009
there are a lot more safer ways to store the recorded footage. sure VCR tapes is one, but storing it on DVD or conpressing it and storing it on small more compact storage devices, (flash drive easily comes to mind) makes it easier to store and maintain than vcr tapes.
Re: Nigerian Police Uses Cctv Images To Capture Bank Robbery Syndicate - by Kobojunkie: 4:57pm On Feb 03, 2009
We are talking of almost 18 years ago or more. lol
Re: Nigerian Police Uses Cctv Images To Capture Bank Robbery Syndicate - by mustafar1: 5:03pm On Feb 03, 2009
kobo, is VCR is 18years, then how long ago would we classify betamax as? grin grin grin grin

[s]oh lord i hope they dont intend to store it on betamax tapes[/s]
Re: Nigerian Police Uses Cctv Images To Capture Bank Robbery Syndicate - by Kobojunkie: 5:10pm On Feb 03, 2009
Roflmao!!! I was refering to the dude who worked at FirstBank, right next door to us as security personnel, about 18 years ago. And no, this was not in a posh area of Lagos either. By the way, not everyone used Betamax. I only saw one of those at a friend's house, but we never really used those.
Re: Nigerian Police Uses Cctv Images To Capture Bank Robbery Syndicate - by mustafar1: 5:16pm On Feb 03, 2009
owned a few donald duck cartoons on those back in the day, till the player broke and VHS took over.
Re: Nigerian Police Uses Cctv Images To Capture Bank Robbery Syndicate - by texazzpete(m): 5:56pm On Feb 03, 2009
Let's not get carried away by heaping praises on what is supposed to be mundane. We'll only create problems if we set low benchmarks for ourselves.

That said, Kudos to the police for catching the robbers.
Re: Nigerian Police Uses Cctv Images To Capture Bank Robbery Syndicate - by cabali(m): 6:02pm On Feb 03, 2009
Please dont be moved by anything you hear of the nigerian Police. It is all rubbish. What proof do they have that who they have are the said robbers except by just looking at the pictures, they recognise the the robbers which will mean that they have been in bed with these guys earlier
Re: Nigerian Police Uses Cctv Images To Capture Bank Robbery Syndicate - by chyk91(m): 6:08pm On Feb 03, 2009
npf don try, kudos.
Re: Nigerian Police Uses Cctv Images To Capture Bank Robbery Syndicate - by aameyah(f): 6:25pm On Feb 03, 2009
smileyWell, seems like good news! As long as the police force didn't arrest the wrong people! grin. Cos we've all read one time or the other of the wrong person being arrested for a crime, or being the victim of 'accidental discharge' and then labeled a thief.
but I still have belief in our police force. Because, when I reported a case to them, they rose up to my defense even though I was only a poor student. cool

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

As A Condition For Vaccination Shiites Demand Zakzaky’s Release / Leaked Tape Of Omoleye Sowore Demanding N100M Bribe And Exposed As Very Corrupt / #NIGERIA DECIDES: Oyo State Situation Reports

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.