Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,864 members, 7,810,293 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:02 AM

Australia Recalls Indonesian Ambassador After Executions - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Australia Recalls Indonesian Ambassador After Executions (897 Views)

Greek Ambassador To Brazil, Amiridis, Murdered By Wife's Lover / Indonesian Court Rejects Nigerian’s Appeal Against Death Sentence / FG Summons Indonesian Ambassador Over Execution Of Nigerian (the Man in Casket) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Australia Recalls Indonesian Ambassador After Executions by osystein(m): 12:45am On Apr 29, 2015

Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott Credit: APTN

Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott has said he is recalling the nation's ambassador to Indonesia in protest against the execution of two Australian drug smugglers.

"We respect Indonesia's sovereignty but we do deplore what's been done and this cannot be simply business as usual, Abbott said.

"I want to stress that this is a very important relationship between Australia and Indonesia but it has suffered as a result of what's been done over the last few hours."

Australians Myuran Sukumaran and Andrew Chan were executed by firing squad along with six other drug convicts from several countries shortly after midnight on Wednesday.

Ambassador Paul Gibson will return to Australia at the end of the week, Foreign Minister Julie Bishop said.

http://www.itv.com/news/story/2015-04-28/eight-of-the-bali-nine-executed-by-firing-squad/
Re: Australia Recalls Indonesian Ambassador After Executions by siegfried99(m): 12:50am On Apr 29, 2015
Okay
Re: Australia Recalls Indonesian Ambassador After Executions by Blakjewelry(m): 12:53am On Apr 29, 2015
I think naija to follow suit
Re: Australia Recalls Indonesian Ambassador After Executions by jeffizy(m): 1:08am On Apr 29, 2015
That's fair enough.

Every citizen must be accounted for.
And well catered for.

Good or bad.
Re: Australia Recalls Indonesian Ambassador After Executions by TRADELYN: 6:09am On Apr 29, 2015
Can Naija do this?

Yes! We can, but not by Jonathan (the recent events between SA & Nigeria is a good case study).
Re: Australia Recalls Indonesian Ambassador After Executions by Nobody: 8:24am On Apr 29, 2015
Blakjewelry:
I think naija to follow suit

Why should naija follow suit?

Immigrants/travellers should learn to obey the laws of their host countries. It's as simple as that.
Re: Australia Recalls Indonesian Ambassador After Executions by Nobody: 8:26am On Apr 29, 2015
jeffizy:
That's fair enough.

Every citizen must be accounted for.
And well catered for.

Good or bad.

Rubbish.

Every citizen should respect the laws of their host. If you can't do this, move out or take your drug business else where.

1 Like

Re: Australia Recalls Indonesian Ambassador After Executions by jeffizy(m): 8:29am On Apr 29, 2015
Henry120:

Rubbish.

Every citizen should respect the laws of their host. If you can't do this, move out or take your drug business else where.
Easy Tiger .
Taking account is not the same as condoning shit.
Re: Australia Recalls Indonesian Ambassador After Executions by Nobody: 8:33am On Apr 29, 2015
TRADELYN:

Can Naija do this?

Yes! We can, but not by Jonathan (the recent events between SA & Nigeria is a good case study).

Nigeria, under Jonathan, demonstrated the Nigerian citizen comes first. He's foreign affairs policy actions have been stellar as regards to the rights and well being of Nigerians.

Prompt evacuation of Nigerian citizens from hotspots and tit for tat actions when the legitimate rights of Nigerians have been infringed upon.
Re: Australia Recalls Indonesian Ambassador After Executions by Nobody: 8:38am On Apr 29, 2015
jeffizy:

Easy Tiger .
Taking account is not the same as condoning shit.

What is Australia taking into account?

The laws of Indonesia and many countries in South-east Asia carry the death penalty for drug trafficking. It isn't a new law.

Respect the countries laws or you get the death penalty. There's no cherry picking of out-comes/punishment.
Re: Australia Recalls Indonesian Ambassador After Executions by Blakjewelry(m): 10:19am On Apr 29, 2015
Henry120:

Why should naija follow suit?

Immigrants/travellers should learn to obey the laws of their host countries. It's as simple as that.
Although part of me is in support of what happened to those guys but I feel dead sentence in this age is a little bit too harsh
Re: Australia Recalls Indonesian Ambassador After Executions by Nobody: 12:30pm On Apr 29, 2015
Blakjewelry:

Although part of me is in support of what happened to those guys but I feel dead sentence in this age is a little bit too harsh
It is draconian law. I don't think anyone should die for getting high or trafficking drugs either, however laws are meant to be obeyed. Failure to do this attracts consequences.

Each independent country is at liberty to create laws that it feels suits it.
Re: Australia Recalls Indonesian Ambassador After Executions by Blakjewelry(m): 12:50pm On Apr 29, 2015
Henry120:

It is draconian law. I don't think anyone should die for getting high or trafficking drugs either, however laws are meant to be obeyed. Failure to do this attracts consequences.

Each independent country is at liberty to create laws that it feels suits it.
Sure you are right bro

(1) (Reply)

Russia 1 Vs America 0: When Commonsense Won A War / President Trump Vows to End Obama's LGbt Rights / Mosque Burnt Down In Texas Hours After US President Signed AN Govt Order Forbidd

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.