Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,837 members, 7,817,473 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:51 PM

Cliford Orji Is Back! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Cliford Orji Is Back! (3158 Views)

A National Award To T.A Orji Is An Award For Inefficiency / Orji Is To Abia What Mandela Is To South Africa - Abia Commissioner / Cliford Orji’s Family Abandons Corpse, No One Comes For Body Three Weeks After. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cliford Orji Is Back! by plappville(f): 4:00pm On Feb 03, 2009
Nigeria’s most celebrated suspected cannibal, Clifford Orji, has appealed to president Umar Yar’Adua to order the judiciary to release him because he did not commit the offences he was accused of.

He told P.M.News in his Kirikiri cell that he is fed up with staying in the prison and wants to be set free now. According to him, “please help me tell president Umaru Yar’Adua to order the judiciary to release me now because 10 years after I was arrested and charged to court, nobody has been able to prove that I committed the offences leveled against me.”

Orji quoted from a portion of the Bible (1 John 8:32), which, according to him, his pastor instructed him to read everyday: And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free.

”Now I have known the truth, I think I should be allowed to walk away as a free man,” he added. After quoting the Bible, Orji went into a trance and was saying some strange things to some unseen spirits. None could fathom what he said. Commenting on Orji’s behaviour, Deputy Comptroller of the prison, Mr. I. A. Ogunmola, said Orji cannot be taken seriously.

”His medical report stated that he is insane. You, too, can see,” the prison official added. Orji, now 43, was arrested in February 1999, by the police, under the bridge along the Apapa-Oshodi expressway. He was subsequently charged before the Ebute-Metta Magistrate’s Court, on 19 February.

Items reportedly found on him at the time of his arrest are a cheque for the sum of N88,000; cell phone, allegedly sent to him by his brother, Linus, Managing Director, Crocodile Nigeria Limited. Other items were identified as fresh and roast human flesh, bones and some women underwear. His arrest was celebrated in the media. At a time, it was speculated that he had died in custody.
Re: Cliford Orji Is Back! by jamace(m): 4:26pm On Feb 03, 2009
You mean Clifford Orji is in prison? Or are you kidding? shocked
Re: Cliford Orji Is Back! by plappville(f): 4:40pm On Feb 03, 2009
jamace:

You mean Clifford Orji is in prison? Or are you kidding? shocked

i was shocked too of the articles, but his picture was posted as well.
Re: Cliford Orji Is Back! by ifyalways(f): 7:38pm On Feb 03, 2009
The topic of the thread is misleading undecided
Nowhere was it stated in the article that hes been released abi hes still in prison .
Re: Cliford Orji Is Back! by Shaz(f): 7:42pm On Feb 03, 2009
shocked shocked shocked Clifford Orji!
Re: Cliford Orji Is Back! by Tgirl4real(f): 9:52am On Feb 04, 2009
This should be in politics. Got nothing to do with family. Moving it right away.
Re: Cliford Orji Is Back! by jamace(m): 10:24am On Feb 04, 2009
This should be in politics. Got nothing to do with family. Moving it right away.
Aunty, please forgive the poster. But Is Clifford Orji in prison?
Re: Cliford Orji Is Back! by plappville(f): 5:06pm On Feb 04, 2009
Tgirl4real:

You re right, thks for moving it, all thesame it's shocking.

jamace:

Aunty, please forgive the poster. But Is Clifford Orji in prison?
Na so i see am oooo.
Re: Cliford Orji Is Back! by Eziachi: 5:16pm On Feb 04, 2009
Nigeria, where a seriously mentally ill patient is kept in prison, instead of a hospital.
Sorry I forgot, Nigeria haven't got a hospital for their own president, let a lone a mad guy.
It's not in their blood to cares!!!!!!
Re: Cliford Orji Is Back! by tpia: 7:06pm On Feb 04, 2009
Re: Cliford Orji Is Back! by tpia: 7:10pm On Feb 04, 2009
Re: Cliford Orji Is Back! by Eziachi: 12:41am On Feb 05, 2009
tpia:

The man was evaluated by psychiatrists before incarceration.

Even jeffrey dahmer who killed and ate other men, was locked up in prison.

Some categories of crime require the criminal be locked up in a maximum security facility due to the nature of their crimes. A hospital might not have the necessary infrastructure needed to prevent him escaping. Nothing to be sentimental about over this matter.

It will be good idea to educate yourself about this issue before hitting the keyboard, there is something called psychiatrist prison and it normally called a hospital because it not structured as a normal prison and kirikiri is not one of them and Nigeria had non. 
Jerry Dahmer wasn't diagnosed with any psychitrist illness, just a ruthless evil minded serial killer, who knew what he was doing. He won't have stand trial if he was dignosed with mental illness. He was Just a sadistic psychopart.
Re: Cliford Orji Is Back! by MrCrackles(m): 12:45am On Feb 05, 2009
I though OBJ ate Clifford Orji?!
Re: Cliford Orji Is Back! by spoilt(f): 1:21am On Feb 05, 2009
The return of clifford. Thank goodness i'm a skinny girl ! *shudders*!!!
Re: Cliford Orji Is Back! by RICHIEBOI1(m): 1:23am On Feb 05, 2009
ten good years still waiting for trials in naija unbelievable! i thought that dude was dead in the slammer. a madman still awaiting trial in naija prison. i wont be surprised in the next ten years he will still be awaiting trial. grin
Re: Cliford Orji Is Back! by tpia: 1:45am On Feb 05, 2009
Re: Cliford Orji Is Back! by maxell(f): 2:22am On Feb 05, 2009
The nigerian authorities should either charge him to court, send him to a mental institution or set him free.

They can't just hold this man in prison indefinitely; it's been 10 years already.

Abi when did naija turn into Afghanistan
Re: Cliford Orji Is Back! by tpia: 2:29am On Feb 05, 2009
Re: Cliford Orji Is Back! by maxell(f): 7:11am On Feb 05, 2009
tpia:

He was given a psychiatric evaluation, charged, and jailed.

What else was supposed to be done? Should he have been lynched? I dont get what people are complaining about here. Or maybe some folks think he should have been given the death penalty- in that case, speak clearly instead of mumbling in this roundabout manner.

The man himself said he was charged before being jailed. What he wants now is to be released and his sentence commuted so he can go back to what he was doing before under the bridge.

The way people want to tag this on the govt is so typical of Nigerians. Next thing is they'll say he had every right to be killing and eating people because the wealth isnt distributed equally. Anyone who feels that way should house the guy for a year.

Are you saying he already went to trial and was sentenced by a judge ? Because this was the point I was making.

If his being in prison is as a result of a judge's sentencing, then I apologize for my previous post.
Re: Cliford Orji Is Back! by spikedcylinder: 7:13pm On Feb 05, 2009
MrCrackles:

I though OBJ ate Clifford Orji?!

Rofl!!!

You're not serious.

@ topic

He's been locked up for 10 years now, next step is psychiatric evaluation and rehabilitation. The man is obviously not well!!!
Re: Cliford Orji Is Back! by spikedcylinder: 7:15pm On Feb 05, 2009
Question: When was Clifford Orji tried in court?
Re: Cliford Orji Is Back! by tpia: 8:37pm On Feb 05, 2009
Re: Cliford Orji Is Back! by plappville(f): 1:14pm On Feb 06, 2009
spikedcylinder:

Rofl!!!

You're not serious.

@ topic

He's been locked up for 10 years now, next step is psychiatric evaluation and rehabilitation. The man is obviously not well!!!

CLIFORD ORJI is a man eater, he is pretending to be mad, in the article he was talking in strange language that no one understands, maybe he was incanation, he know it will be best for him to act madman so that when caught he will not be killed, but be seen as a madman eater, I know that there is no sin that God cannot forgive but let him confess, i don't know what can the law do to him, but i think he needs God's forgiveness, that man is wild and should not be released just like dat.
Re: Cliford Orji Is Back! by jamace(m): 1:34pm On Feb 06, 2009
Abeg make them hold am o. Enough of announcements of missing persons grin.
Re: Cliford Orji Is Back! by Eziachi: 12:10am On Feb 07, 2009
tpia:

He was first given a psychiatric evaluation, then taken to court, but the whole thing got hushed up after a while.

it was rumored he had customers among the high and mighty.

You seem to have all these facts no one else has, so what was the result of the psychiatric evaluation? At what point was such evaluation outsome presented before a judge in a court?
I am not saying Orji should be set free or allowed to roam the street but it obvious that the guy is seriously mentally ill and should be locked up in a mental hospital and not inside a prison along with othe prison as he is a danger not only to himself but the the public too.

Condition of Nigerian prison is enough to turn a sane man to a total insanity, let alone an insane person.
Re: Cliford Orji Is Back! by Eziachi: 12:13am On Feb 07, 2009
plappville:

CLIFORD ORJI is a man eater, he is pretending to be mad, in the article he was talking in strange language that no one understands, maybe he was incanation, he know it will be best for him to act madman so that when caught he will not be killed, but be seen as a madman eater, I know that there is no sin that God cannot forgive but let him confess, i don't know what can the law do to him, but i think he needs God's forgiveness, that man is wild and should not be released just like dat.
[/quote

Please how does one pretend to be mad? Are speaking out experience?
Re: Cliford Orji Is Back! by Moyola(f): 12:16am On Feb 07, 2009
shocked lipsrsealed
Re: Cliford Orji Is Back! by Nobody: 12:22am On Feb 07, 2009
Clifford The Big Red Dog
Re: Cliford Orji Is Back! by luka1981(m): 2:32pm On Feb 07, 2009
clifford orji is insane and cannot be charged to court according to the criminal code laws of nigeria. his offence is a falony and he should remain in police authority until he is confermed mentally okay, then he will be charged to court.
Re: Cliford Orji Is Back! by funloving(m): 3:17pm On Feb 07, 2009
Eziachi:

You seem to have all these facts no one else has, so what was the result of the psychiatric evaluation? At what point was such evaluation outsome presented before a judge in a court?
I am not saying Orji should be set free or allowed to roam the street but it obvious that the guy is seriously mentally ill and should be locked up in a mental hospital and not inside a prison along with othe prison as he is a danger not only to himself but the the public too.

Condition of Nigerian prison is enough to turn a sane man to a total insanity, let alone an insane person.

Eziachi, since Nigeria does not have these special psychiatric prisons you mentioned what do you suggest should be done to Clifford Orji?

Should he be released to roam the streets and possibly go back to his canibalistic ways or should he be placed in a normal psychiatric hospital where he will probably escape from, after eating a few nurses ?

When we argue or proffer solutions we should always consider the reality on ground rather proposing mere idealistic and theoretical soultions that are not immediately workable.

Nigeria can't afford to go build a psychiatric prison just becasue of Clifford Orji.
Re: Cliford Orji Is Back! by plappville(f): 9:04pm On Feb 07, 2009
funloving:

Eziachi, since Nigeria does not have these special psychiatric prisons you mentioned what do you suggest should be done to Clifford Orji?

Should he be released to roam the streets and possibly go back to his canibalistic ways or should he be placed in a normal psychiatric hospital where he will probably escape from, after eating a few nurses ?

When we argue or proffer solutions we should always consider the reality on ground rather proposing mere idealistic and theoretical soultions that are not immediately workable.

Nigeria can't afford to go build a psychiatric prison just becasue of Clifford Orji.
Ask him for me oo, he is talking as if he is not a Nigerian, that guy has some rich men behind him, if he is release to any psychiatric center as u are suggesting, they will fly him out, and what happens to those he innocent souls he ate?? Let him confess he was not looking like any mad guy in the picture they put with this article.
Re: Cliford Orji Is Back! by jamace(m): 5:36am On Feb 08, 2009
clifford orji is insane and cannot be charged to court according to the criminal code laws of nigeria. his offence is a falony and he should remain in police authority until he is confermed mentally okay, then he will be charged to court.

How can Clifford Orji get well in Nigeria prison when even sane people become mad in our prisons. If truely he is mad he will get madder in our prisons grin grin.

(1) (2) (Reply)

The House Tinubu Built / NNPC To Build 3 New Refineries In 24 Months / VIDEO:The Real History Of Nigeria.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.