Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,651 members, 7,809,457 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:58 AM

Help With How To Handle A Virus In My Computer - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Help With How To Handle A Virus In My Computer (1156 Views)

Can I Remove A Virus Without Antivirus Software? / How To Recover Hidden Files From Virus Infected USB Drive / How To Reveal Files Hidden By A Virus (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help With How To Handle A Virus In My Computer by favouryemmy: 10:27pm On Apr 29, 2015
Hello dear computer gurus in the house, I really need your help.
I tried to help a friend write a document to a CD today from his flash drive not knowing that the drive was infected with a virus. Now it has corrupted all my software icons such that I cant enter directly to use the softwares except I go through existing files. I can still use virtually all the softwares only If I open them from existing files of that software.
When I scanned my system with avast antivirus, it showed me the virus was Win32:Malware-gen virus. I tried to take care of it by either deleting or moving to chest but it has been running for hours. Please, what are the risks involve with this particar virus?
Please, how may I take care of this virus without having to format my system? Thank you in advance.
Re: Help With How To Handle A Virus In My Computer by samuelson06(m): 10:47pm On Apr 29, 2015
favouryemmy:
Hello dear computer gurus in the house, I really need your help.
I tried to help a friend write a document to a CD today from his flash drive not knowing that the drive was infected with a virus. Now it has corrupted all my software icons such that I cant enter directly to use the softwares except I go through existing files. I can still use virtually all the softwares only If I open them from existing files of that software.
When I scanned my system with avast antivirus, it showed me the virus was Win32:Malware-gen virus. I tried to take care of it by either deleting or moving to chest but it has been running for hours. Please, what are the risks involve with this particular virus?
Please, how may I take care of this virus without having to format my system? Thank you in advance.

I don't think your problem is such a big one. This can only strengthen and help you learn more so don't blame your friend because you tried helping. I'll give you the fix. First, for your applications, if you go through "All Programs" and try launching them from there, what happens? If you can launch them from there then create new shortcuts of each app on Desktop. If you can't then un&re-install the applications again. For the malware issue, send me a PM. You may be probably using a free version of Avast so don't expect it to be so powerful. I hope none of your files are affected by the malware. If they are, let me know.
Re: Help With How To Handle A Virus In My Computer by favouryemmy: 11:00pm On Apr 29, 2015
samuelson06:

I don't think your problem is such a big one. This can only strengthen and help you learn more so don't blame your friend because you tried helping. I'll give you the fix. First, for your applications, if you go through "All Programs" and try launching them from there, what happens? If you can launch them from there then create new shortcuts of each app on Desktop. If you can't then un&re-install the applications again. For the malware issue, send me a PM. You may be probably using a free version of Avast so don't expect it to be so powerful. I hope none of your files are affected by the malware. If they are, let me know.
Thanks for your response. The all programs windows is also corrupted. Thats the one that comes up when you click start. So does it mean, that if I reinstall the applications it will return to normal. Then what of the risk of the malware spreading? What the malware actually did was convert all the shortcuts and applications icon, even in programmes to WinRAR icon. None of the files have been affected by the malware. Please, what do you mean by PM? Thanks.
Re: Help With How To Handle A Virus In My Computer by samuelson06(m): 11:14pm On Apr 29, 2015
favouryemmy:

Thanks for your response. The all programs windows is also corrupted. Thats the one that comes up when you click start. So does it mean, that if I reinstall the applications it will return to normal. Then what of the risk of the malware spreading? What the malware actually did was convert all the shortcuts and applications icon, even in programmes to WinRAR icon. None of the files have been affected by the malware. Please, what do you mean by PM? Thanks.

Well, PM means Private Mail. You do that through user's profile page. To avoid spread of the threat, don't connect the system to internet for now or any USB flash to it till we get it fix. After removing the malware, we'll try to roll back the system and see if we can get the applications to the normal state else it's re-installing them. To get started, download Malwarebyte and install it. You'll need to also connect that system to the internet when need arises so take note. Just google it and get the free version then send me a PM.
Re: Help With How To Handle A Virus In My Computer by favouryemmy: 12:21am On Apr 30, 2015
samuelson06:

Well, PM means Private Mail. You do that through user's profile page. To avoid spread of the threat, don't connect the system to internet for now or any USB flash to it till we get it fix. After removing the malware, we'll try to roll back the system and see if we can get the applications to the normal state else it's re-installing them. To get started, download Malwarebyte and install it. You'll need to also connect that system to the internet when need arises so take note. Just google it and get the free version then send me a PM.
Thanks. I've downloaded it. I'm currently scanning the system with it now. I ve also PMed you.
Re: Help With How To Handle A Virus In My Computer by favouryemmy: 1:16am On Apr 30, 2015
samuelson06:

Thanks For the information. I downloaded the application and scanned the system with it after which I did a system restore to a previous date and it's back to normal now. Thanks again
Re: Help With How To Handle A Virus In My Computer by samuelson06(m): 8:54am On Apr 30, 2015
favouryemmy:

Thanks For the information. I downloaded the application and scanned the system with it after which I did a system restore to a previous date and it's back to normal now. Thanks again

That sounds good. But was the malware detected and removed?
Re: Help With How To Handle A Virus In My Computer by dodobytes: 5:47pm On Apr 30, 2015
I really don't understand this "send me a pm issue"..

If u can help and wanna help drop the info,and move on.So others that suffer similar fate can read thru ur posts n help themselves.

Except u r doing something funny,like wanting to profit from another man's misfortune...

Over n out!!..
Re: Help With How To Handle A Virus In My Computer by favouryemmy: 10:00pm On Apr 30, 2015
samuelson06:

That sounds good. But was the malware detected and removed?
I scanned and quarantined the malwares which were 1,300 and something. After I restored to a previous date, it deleted the malwarebyte. But after that, I reinstalled it, updated and scanned again and it removed a lot. I scanned again this morning and it removed one and later none.
Re: Help With How To Handle A Virus In My Computer by samuelson06(m): 10:23pm On Apr 30, 2015
favouryemmy:

I scanned and quarantined the malwares which were 1,300 and something. After I restored to a previous date, it deleted the malwarebyte. But after that, I reinstalled it, updated and scanned again and it removed a lot. I scanned again this morning and it removed one and later none.

Good to hear this. I'll give you an activation key for the malwarebyte and you'll own it forever. You can also download and install USB security software to be scanning USB devices once connected to the system. Always make sure your CMOS battery is working because that's what saved you also. Weldone.
Re: Help With How To Handle A Virus In My Computer by favouryemmy: 1:30am On May 01, 2015
samuelson06:

Good to hear this. I'll give you an activation key for the malwarebyte and you'll own it forever. You can also download and install USB security software to be scanning USB devices once connected to the system. Always make sure your CMOS battery is working because that's what saved you also. Weldone.
Thanks. There's another bit of info I need to tell you. When I got my system, a friend advised me to create a standard user and make it the default user for it. I've been using the standard user as my main user for it even for this incident. While the icons were corrupted, I logged in through the administrator and to my surprise, nothing went wrong there. Everything was just normal while the same applications through the standard user was still corrupted. So, I think that also helped the system because the malware did not have unrestricted access. So that's it. Thanks. Please how do I get the key and the other software?
Re: Help With How To Handle A Virus In My Computer by samuelson06(m): 2:21am On May 01, 2015
favouryemmy:

Thanks. There's another bit of info I need to tell you. When I got my system, a friend advised me to create a standard user and make it the default user for it. I've been using the standard user as my main user for it even for this incident. While the icons were corrupted, I logged in through the administrator and to my surprise, nothing went wrong there. Everything was just normal while the same applications through the standard user was still corrupted. So, I think that also helped the system because the malware did not have unrestricted access. So that's it. Thanks. Please how do I get the key and the other software?

I think it would've only being a matter of time before the Admin user also get sick as well but thank God for our swift response. Search the USB software and download. I'll give you the key. Just watch.
Re: Help With How To Handle A Virus In My Computer by favouryemmy: 5:32pm On May 01, 2015
samuelson06:

I think it would've only being a matter of time before the Admin user also get sick as well but thank God for our swift response. Search the USB software and download. I'll give you the key. Just watch.
Thanks a lot

(1) (Reply)

I Need A Laptop / Where Can I Get Thermal Paste / HP Pavilion 15 Touchsmart For 120k | SOLD

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.