Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,088 members, 7,818,264 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:26 AM

Atheism Is A Religion: Kolooyinbo Explains. - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheism Is A Religion: Kolooyinbo Explains. (15442 Views)

Conclusion : Atheism Is So Illogical , The Atheist Delusion / Atheism Is Dying! Currently On Life Support! / Atheism Is Frustrating. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Atheism Is A Religion: Kolooyinbo Explains. by Nobody: 6:31pm On Apr 30, 2015
Thank you hun, no a compliment is never wasted on me grin

Please tell me what your moniker means I can guess it has white in it but lipsrsealed what's kolomean.
Thank you

KoloOyinbo:

I am so glad. I only suggested this thread in passing and never thought my suggestion would be taken seriously! But it has brought enjoyment and interest to some then great.

Love the dimples by the way - if you don't mind a compliment from an Oyinbo - especially a KOLOoyinbo! grin
Re: Atheism Is A Religion: Kolooyinbo Explains. by KoloOyinbo(m): 6:37pm On Apr 30, 2015
Chiam55:
Thank you hun, no a compliment is never wasted on me grin
Please tell me what your moniker means I can guess it has white in it but lipsrsealed what's kolomean.
Thank you
Kolo as in KOLOMENTAL means crazy!

I am an Irishman who has been coming to Naija for about 15 years or so. (Hope to visit both Lagos and Port Harcourt {Lasgidi and Pitawaka} during May). Hence the Oyinbo. And of course all Irishmen are a little crazy so KoloOyinbo!

The Yoruba call me (sorry for the probable misspelling) Baba Onigba - the man full of life - or literally (so I am informed) the man who does not give a sh1t.

I tend to say 'Kolo, abi - mumu no!'
Re: Atheism Is A Religion: Kolooyinbo Explains. by KoloOyinbo(m): 6:44pm On Apr 30, 2015
For Jayriginal

"Well let's move beyond that for now. At least we understand ourselves.

For the next argument, im going to assume (without conceding) that atheists believe that there is no God. How does that make it a religion?

Please make your argument on the other thread."

OK My thoughts (remember I am undecided on this point just interested in debating it) are as follows:

You require as much FAITH to believe that there is no God as to believe that there is. Just an opposite FAITH but neither point of view can be substantiated.

Only the agnostic is free of FAITH as they have the rational point that there is (and can be) no evidence either way - therefore they simply do not know. This is rational and has logic and is actually laudable!

As I said in another post (rather tongue in cheek) "I will pray very hard for God to make me an Agnostic!" grin
Re: Atheism Is A Religion: Kolooyinbo Explains. by Nobody: 6:57pm On Apr 30, 2015
Ok I understand now LoL so does it loosely translate to "crazy white man" grin
I love the Irish. Thank you for explaining

KoloOyinbo:

Kolo as in KOLOMENTAL means crazy!

I am an Irishman who has been coming to Naija for about 15 years or so. (Hope to visit both Lagos and Port Harcourt {Lasgidi and Pitawaka} during May). Hence the Oyinbo. And of course all Irishmen are a little crazy so KoloOyinbo!

The Yoruba call me (sorry for the probable misspelling) Baba Onigba - the man full of life - or literally (so I am informed) the man who does not give a sh1t.

I tend to say 'Kolo, abi - mumu no!'

Re: Atheism Is A Religion: Kolooyinbo Explains. by johnydon22(m): 7:08pm On Apr 30, 2015
KoloOyinbo:
For Jayriginal

For the next argument, im going to assume (without conceding) that atheists believe that there is no God. How does that make it a religion?

OK My thoughts (remember I am undecided on this point just interested in debating it) are as follows:

You require as much FAITH to believe that there is no God as to believe that there is. Just an opposite FAITH but neither point of view can be substantiated.

Only the agnostic is free of FAITH as they have the rational point that there is (and can be) no evidence either way - therefore they simply do not know. This is rational and has logic and is actually laudable!

As I said in another post (rather tongue in cheek) "I will pray very hard for God to make me an Agnostic!" grin

Let me cut this short to fully demonstrate the atheist position.

I say: I believe their is a flying pink horse ( belief requires faith)

You say: I don't believe you, prove it.. ( Can you detect any faith in this?)

now

You say: Their is a God (You believe by faith)

An atheist says : I don't believe you, prove it. (Meaning atheists lack faith)

So you see, Atheist lack belief in every God concepts. . .Just like you lack

faith in the God Thor, this doesn't mean you need faith to disbelieve Thor.

If you contrast your lack of belief in other God concepts that you are

atheistic towards, then you will fully understand the atheist position.

1 Like

Re: Atheism Is A Religion: Kolooyinbo Explains. by KoloOyinbo(m): 7:15pm On Apr 30, 2015
Chiam55:
Ok I understand now LoL so does it loosely translate to "crazy white man" grin
I love the Irish. Thank you for explaining

Why thank YOU!

And I love hot babes who love the Irish!!! grin (See, definitely KOLO)

Shall dream of dimpled babes and kai kai tonight!
Re: Atheism Is A Religion: Kolooyinbo Explains. by jayriginal: 7:16pm On Apr 30, 2015
KoloOyinbo:
For Jayriginal

Faith in what exactly is required to believe in the non existence of God?
Re: Atheism Is A Religion: Kolooyinbo Explains. by johnydon22(m): 7:17pm On Apr 30, 2015
KoloOyinbo:

Why thank YOU!

You don deh toast am oooo wink chai... grin
Re: Atheism Is A Religion: Kolooyinbo Explains. by Purist(m): 7:25pm On Apr 30, 2015
jayriginal:

DeepSight is a member of this forum. He used to be a deist. You might enjoy discussing with him.

Bro, what have I missed? shocked
Re: Atheism Is A Religion: Kolooyinbo Explains. by KoloOyinbo(m): 7:26pm On Apr 30, 2015
johnydon22:

You don deh toast am oooo wink chai... grin

Yes OHHHHHH!

That's what the babes are for and God made Irishmen to toast em!

AND if you look at this gals profile pic... well all I can say is NA WA!
Re: Atheism Is A Religion: Kolooyinbo Explains. by johnydon22(m): 7:30pm On Apr 30, 2015
KoloOyinbo:

Yes OHHHHHH!

Irishman Ke?
You deh miss oo.. na we naija guys get then pass ooo... tongue

But the girl fine shaaa wink
Re: Atheism Is A Religion: Kolooyinbo Explains. by Nobody: 7:30pm On Apr 30, 2015
KoloOyinbo:

Why thank YOU!

Lol nutter tongue
Re: Atheism Is A Religion: Kolooyinbo Explains. by KoloOyinbo(m): 7:33pm On Apr 30, 2015
Chiam55:

Lol nutter tongue

Yes OH. The greatest compliment that an Irish calls his best friend when he has done something exceptionally good is "You are one crazy ba****d!" We feel about 10 feet tall after this!

I am also observant ... and see no ring on your left hand! AHHHHH! Useful info!
Re: Atheism Is A Religion: Kolooyinbo Explains. by KoloOyinbo(m): 7:38pm On Apr 30, 2015
johnydon22:

Irishman Ke?
You deh miss oo.. na we naija guys get then pass ooo... tongue

But the girl fine shaaa wink

Every time I go there I have no trouble holding my own against local competition. cheesy

KoloOyinbo, the Irishman
A mighty man was he
He got da babes
outta da bar
an 'chopped em' three by three!

KoloOyinbo, the Irishman
Goes to Naija for the Heat
He gets da babes
both high and low
an even tastes 'bushmeat' (And I am not talking about food!) grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Atheism Is A Religion: Kolooyinbo Explains. by plaetton: 7:39pm On Apr 30, 2015
KoloOyinbo:

Yes OHHHHHH!

Yes indeed.
She is a real " Na wa" !
Re: Atheism Is A Religion: Kolooyinbo Explains. by KoloOyinbo(m): 7:41pm On Apr 30, 2015
plaetton:

Yes indeed.
She is a real " Na wa" !

Ah Sir you are a connoisseur!

In Ireland the highest compliment we bestow is

"Sir, you are a gentleman, a scholar and a judge of fine whisky!"

But I always thought some reference to the babes would also be appropriate there (a toaster of plenty babes?) cheesy
Re: Atheism Is A Religion: Kolooyinbo Explains. by jayriginal: 7:42pm On Apr 30, 2015
Purist:

Bro, what have I missed? shocked

Brother of mine, its been a while. I actually checked your profile some hours ago to see if you were still active.

Anyway, it started with the dead kalam cosmological argument and deviated into the debate as to whether atheism is a religion or not.

Here's the original thread https://www.nairaland.com/2191376/kalam-cosmological-argument
Re: Atheism Is A Religion: Kolooyinbo Explains. by Purist(m): 7:56pm On Apr 30, 2015
jayriginal:

Brother of mine, its been a while. I actually checked your profile some hours ago to see if you were still active.

Anyway, it started with the dead kalam cosmological argument and deviated into the debate as to whether atheism is a religion or not.

Here's the original thread https://www.nairaland.com/2191376/kalam-cosmological-argument

Indeed bro, it's been a while. I actually got bored with this section due to endless rehash of same tired arguments. Just like this one. cheesy I'm mostly a spectator in the sports section and front page topics nowadays. I still peep in every now and then though.

I'll go through the thread in my spare time. smiley
Re: Atheism Is A Religion: Kolooyinbo Explains. by Purist(m): 8:12pm On Apr 30, 2015
I just did a quick scan of the thread. I was under the impression that DeepSight renounced Deism? Could you kindly refer me to the thread or specific post if that's the case? And btw, I thought he left and vowed never to come back to NL?
Re: Atheism Is A Religion: Kolooyinbo Explains. by KoloOyinbo(m): 8:30pm On Apr 30, 2015
plaetton:

Lol.
There is no such thing as being an agnostic.
I used to call myself agnostic too.

Agnostic is like a half-way house between the prison of religion and the freedom of godlessness.

An agnostic is one who has fully jettisoned religion, but still tit bit afraid to fully free him/herself from the godspell.

One day, you might find the courage to declare unto yourself " No God Required".

Nope. You misunderstand agnosticism.

As there is as little proof (ie none) that God exists as that he does not exist either stance is of equal merit. (I an open to the argument BUT NOT YET CONVINCED that a 'better' human being will believe rather than disbelieve).

An agnostic simply says in the absence of evidence either way I have insufficient grounds to make a choice. A VERY logical and in many ways laudable position.

Your unsubstantiated " prison of religion and the freedom of godlessness" comment rather betrays a little closed minded bias and in any case 'begs the question'.

Atheists are guilty in their own way of everything they accuse Theists of. (Yes as a Theist I'm guilty too). Only the agnostics position is unassailable.
Re: Atheism Is A Religion: Kolooyinbo Explains. by jayriginal: 8:51pm On Apr 30, 2015
Purist:

Indeed bro, it's been a while. I actually got bored with this section due to endless rehash of same tired arguments. Just like this one. cheesy I'm mostly a spectator in the sports section and front page topics nowadays. I still peep in every now and then though.

I'll go through the thread in my spare time. smiley

Yeah, it got played out.
Re: Atheism Is A Religion: Kolooyinbo Explains. by jayriginal: 8:54pm On Apr 30, 2015
Purist:
I just did a quick scan of the thread. I was under the impression that DeepSight renounced Deism? Could you kindly refer me to the thread or specific post if that's the case? And btw, I thought he left and vowed never to come back to NL?

I'd say he "advanced" beyond deism rather than renounced it. Of course I can't speak on his behalf. Its left for him to clarify issues.

And yes, he vowed never to return. He even started his own forum. However things don't always work as planned and he's still here.
Re: Atheism Is A Religion: Kolooyinbo Explains. by plaetton: 8:56pm On Apr 30, 2015
KoloOyinbo:

Nope. You misunderstand agnosticism.

As there is as little proof (ie none) that God exists as that he does not exist either stance is of equal merit. (I an open to the argument BUT NOT YET CONVINCED that a 'better' human being will believe rather than disbelieve).

An agnostic simply says in the absence of evidence either way I have insufficient grounds to make a choice. A VERY logical and in many ways laudable position.

Your unsubstantiated " prison of religion and the freedom of godlessness" comment rather betrays a little closed minded bias and in any case 'begs the question'.

Atheists are guilty in their own way of everything they accuse Theists of. (Yes as a Theist I'm guilty too). Only the agnostics position is unassailable.
First of all, you are a theist, and as such , not fully competent to understand either the agnostic or the atheistic frame of mind.

On the other hand, I , as well as many atheists , went through a series of transitional phases before we came out and declared " No God Required".
When I was agnostic, I too considered the safest and most logical place to part my worldview.
But unlike most agnostics, I was not content with a position of uncertainty and " not knowing ".
I wasn't looking for a good reason to disprove the existence of god, but was actually looking for a way to reconcile the existence of god with all that we know the universe and existence.

It hit me like a jolt of lightening one time when I realized that god was more of an idea, an abstract notion than anyrhing real.

Then all of a sudden, it all made sense.
The concept of god throughout the ages and throughout different cultures now made sense.

Yes, god is am abstract concept that has been evolving with us. God evolves because our mind evolves.
God is created, lives and evolves in human the mind.
That's why everyone's concept of god is slightly different from personality to personality , from culture to culture , and from era to era.

Add all this to all that we know about the evolving universe, and then,
the Eureka moment arrives when I declare unto myself "The Universe Did Not, and Does Not Need A God."
Re: Atheism Is A Religion: Kolooyinbo Explains. by plaetton: 8:58pm On Apr 30, 2015
KoloOyinbo:

Ah Sir you are a connoisseur!

In Ireland the highest compliment we bestow is

"Sir, you are a gentleman, a scholar and a judge of fine whisky!"

But I always thought some reference to the babes would also be appropriate there (a toaster of plenty babes?) cheesy
Yes sir, indeed.
Re: Atheism Is A Religion: Kolooyinbo Explains. by KoloOyinbo(m): 9:47pm On Apr 30, 2015
plaetton:

First of all, you are a theist, and as such , not fully competent to understand either the agnostic or the atheistic frame of mind.

On the other hand, I , as well as many atheists , went through a series of transitional phases before we came out and declared " No God Required".
When I was agnostic, I too considered the safest and most logical place to part my worldview.
But unlike most agnostics, I was not content with a position of uncertainty and " not knowing ".
I wasn't looking for a good reason to disprove the existence of god, but was actually looking for a way to reconcile the existence of god with all that we know the universe and existence.

It hit me like a jolt of lightening one time when I realized that god was more of an idea, an abstract notion than anyrhing real.

Then all of a sudden, it all made sense.
The concept of god throughout the ages and throughout different cultures now made sense.

Yes, god is am abstract concept that has been evolving with us. God evolves because our mind evolves.
God is created, lives and evolves in human the mind.
That's why everyone's concept of god is slightly different from personality to personality , from culture to culture , and from era to era.

Add all this to all that we know about the evolving universe, and then,
the Eureka moment arrives when I declare unto myself "The Universe Did Not, and Does Not Need A God."

Where to start... hmmm.

Well as a former scientist who has travelled the world and worked in 26 different countries with multiple cultures and University educated with an IQ 148 who has been advising and training (in Niaja alone) many of your major organisations I suspect I am more competent than most in many fields particularly this one! By implication is an agnostic or atheist competent to understand the theist frame of mind?

I am sorry you were unhappy with the NOT KNOWING you refer to as we still DONT KNOW!

God can neither be proven NOR disproven! So we will NEVER prove the Atheist or Theist point of view. Hence the need for FAITH in both stances. Only the Agnostic has the comfort of logic and reason.

Now as for "God is created, lives and evolves in human the mind" I say prove it? You must therefore prove God does not exist which the greatest minds of humanity over millennia have FAILED to do any more than they have FAILED to prove God exists. Your statement therefore begs the question and is invalid.

As for the evolving Universe my scientific background was Astronomy and it was actually the insights there (while falling VERY short of proof) pushed me finally towards the belief in God from a position of (rather shaky) agnosticism. Astronomy offers NOTHING to disprove or even indicate the possibility of no God.

Sadly not everyone who shouts Eureka I correct and your atheism relies as much on your own kind of FAITH as does any believers!
Re: Atheism Is A Religion: Kolooyinbo Explains. by Nobody: 10:15pm On Apr 30, 2015
Really? Another thread on this? undecided
Re: Atheism Is A Religion: Kolooyinbo Explains. by FOLYKAZE(m): 7:06am On May 01, 2015
johnydon22:

we hail almighty gallery of a theater grin

When you stop mixing up to distinct concepts then you will be taken seriously ..

Like someone said on a thread, he said God is anything that has dominion and been worship. Anytime gallery of theatre is been worship, it becomes a God.

That for that. . . .

Man has dominion and are been worshipped. There are historical sacred kings across the world worship as deity. Apotheosis reign in many traditions which sees man as a deity. We have records of humans worship as deity in Eastern Asian countries. We also have records of them in Yoruba kingdom. Devaraja is simply deified royalty which positioned human as a God. In imperial cults, humans are been worshipped as God. Fela is a very good example here. The mythical kings in Yoruba like Sango, Obatala and Oduduwa reigned in history as mortal men but are been worship as Gods today. You are only denying the obvious fact. The bible went to affirm that men are Gods.

I will bring up gallery of theatre when it is been worship or have dominion. Lets deal with men been worship as deity or god. Do you disbelieve in their existence?
Re: Atheism Is A Religion: Kolooyinbo Explains. by FOLYKAZE(m): 7:11am On May 01, 2015
jayriginal:

You are using God in two different senses. Thats equivocation/ambiguity. Your argument is flawed.

Its like saying dogs are men who chase women. Do you believe dogs have four legs? Two different meanings.

How is the argument flaw?

God is theos

Men God is apo+theos.

What is the difference in this theos?

Can you tell us pls?
Re: Atheism Is A Religion: Kolooyinbo Explains. by jayriginal: 7:35am On May 01, 2015
FOLYKAZE:

How is the argument flaw?

God is theos

Men God is apo+theos.

What is the difference in this theos?

Can you tell us pls?

God as understood in its most natural sense is of divine
origin. Man that has been raised to godlike status is still not of divine origin.
Re: Atheism Is A Religion: Kolooyinbo Explains. by FOLYKAZE(m): 8:03am On May 01, 2015
jayriginal:

God as understood in its most natural sense is of divine
origin. Man that has been raised to godlike status is still not of divine origin.

Read through pls http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divinity

Take note of the subtopic:
-Divinity as entity

-Divinity applied to mortals

-Belief in the divine potential of humankind

And google on sacred kings, devaraja and apotheosis.

Are we conversant with this saying; to err is human but to forgive is divine. . . .

Therefore we are divine beings.
Re: Atheism Is A Religion: Kolooyinbo Explains. by jayriginal: 8:27am On May 01, 2015
FOLYKAZE:

Read through pls http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divinity

Take note of the subtopic:
-Divinity as entity

-Divinity applied to mortals

-Belief in the divine potential of humankind

And google on sacred kings, devaraja and apotheosis.

Are we conversant with this saying; to err is human but to forgive is divine. . . .

Therefore we are divine beings.

Everything can be classified under divine. The guitar is a divine instrument, producing such a divine sound. Chess is a divine game. My girlfriend is a goddess.

You FOLYKAZE have a penchant for distorting words and meanings to the point that they become irrelevant.

1 Like

Re: Atheism Is A Religion: Kolooyinbo Explains. by johnydon22(m): 8:43am On May 01, 2015
FOLYKAZE:

Like someone said on a thread, he said God is anything that has dominion and been worship. Anytime gallery of theatre is been worship, it becomes a God.

That for that. . . .

Man has dominion and are been worshipped. There are historical sacred kings across the world worship as deity. Apotheosis reign in many traditions which sees man as a deity. We have records of humans worship as deity in Eastern Asian countries. We also have records of them in Yoruba kingdom. Devaraja is simply deified royalty which positioned human as a God. In imperial cults, humans are been worshipped as God. Fela is a very good example here. The mythical kings in Yoruba like Sango, Obatala and Oduduwa reigned in history as mortal men but are been worship as Gods today. You are only denying the obvious fact. The bible went to affirm that men are Gods.

I will bring up gallery of theatre when it is been worship or have dominion. Lets deal with men been worship as deity or god. Do you disbelieve in their existence?

Are you dodging their being God? common you can do better.

The gallery of a theater is called God so its God. . take it or leave it

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Ibidunni Ighodalo Honoured By Dolapo Osinbajo At Runway Jazz Humanitarian Award / Dealing With The Coronavirus As A Christian: What You Must Know / Oyedepo's Gaffe And Mbaka's Greed By Deji Yesufu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.