Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,598 members, 7,840,424 topics. Date: Sunday, 26 May 2024 at 03:14 AM

Is It Illegal To Buy Dead Bodies In Nigeria? - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Is It Illegal To Buy Dead Bodies In Nigeria? (13025 Views)

Why Do We Bury Dead Bodies Six Feet Under / Man Takes Selfie With Dead Kano Quiz Students Bodies / Is It Illegal To Run 2 Master Programs Simultaneously In Seperate Institutions? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Illegal To Buy Dead Bodies In Nigeria? by UrennaNkoli(f): 10:04am On May 01, 2015
If you have a good teaching hospital, then you should be able to get cadavers from the numerous unwanted bodies within your reach.
Re: Is It Illegal To Buy Dead Bodies In Nigeria? by gunuvi(m): 10:04am On May 01, 2015
Cadavers are only cadavers when it is in the hands of medicals that are used for teaching and researches but it becomes human parts when it comes to the hands of .....you know politicians etc
Re: Is It Illegal To Buy Dead Bodies In Nigeria? by prince2blinks(m): 10:04am On May 01, 2015
Dead bodies
Re: Is It Illegal To Buy Dead Bodies In Nigeria? by Dunsin89(m): 10:04am On May 01, 2015
Study Medicine with ease in the University of Ibadan. Get their Real Post UTME past questions too. For more, check here https://www.nairaland.com/2228034
Re: Is It Illegal To Buy Dead Bodies In Nigeria? by IYANGBALI: 10:06am On May 01, 2015
cayorday89:
Donation is d surest, u sure can donate ur self for use after death.... What we do for educational development.....
pls I will like you to donate your dead body for me to use whenever you are done grin
Re: Is It Illegal To Buy Dead Bodies In Nigeria? by madgoat(m): 10:07am On May 01, 2015
iwriterng:
Yesterday during Clinical anatomy lecture (Autopsy) Our lecturer said the bodies (cadavers) in our laboratory are bought by the school, and its against the law to buy human bodies in Nigeria, which means the school is breaking the law to ensure that we are able to use the bodies for practical purpose.

This is my fourth year, and I am hearing the "body buying" crime for the first time, my questions are;

1. Is it really illegal?

2. Who is selling those bodies?

3. How are we supposed to be good medical students when we can't use cadavers in our lab?

I can't ask the lecturer because she's my lecturer! You should know what I mean.

FOURTH YEAR AND YOU ARE STILL DOING CLINICAL ANATOMY..... AUTOPSY IS NOT CLINICAL ANATOMY... U CAN LIE OH...

1 Like

Re: Is It Illegal To Buy Dead Bodies In Nigeria? by Nayok(m): 10:07am On May 01, 2015
And those to be donated shoud be that of accident as in no owner/family deadbody, abi na person wey get family them go use? Or arm robber's . U gat me?
Re: Is It Illegal To Buy Dead Bodies In Nigeria? by MissSlimbody(f): 10:07am On May 01, 2015
Nani4all:
The first poster has Sed it all....wonderful experience dissecting cadaver yesterday.

Wonderful what!!! shockedshocked:0

#Faints#embarassed
Re: Is It Illegal To Buy Dead Bodies In Nigeria? by Sunnycliff(m): 10:11am On May 01, 2015
There is this goose pimple chill down my spines on hearing this! It's quite emotional but I doubt the possibility of any sane man allowing his kith or kin to be traded for medical practice! It's really emotional! I suggest condemned criminals or mad pple who die by the roadside without a trace of ownership to be used and not....
Re: Is It Illegal To Buy Dead Bodies In Nigeria? by luthorcorp: 10:12am On May 01, 2015
maxiuc:
Dnt blame if I didn't get it rite I no even read the thread frontpage rush eeee clears throat op na you won buy dead body imagine after all the trouble wey this world person go die thinking that he had been buried not knowing that his body is somewhere else na my type of ghost dey wicked when they die
and wots so special n important about a fvckin dead body,ehhh? dese r d kind of little sacrifices we are relunctant to go through that the whites arent afraid off,and one clown will come around n say we r bera dan d whites....even some living ppl mite have d trials coz dem worse pass dead body...
Re: Is It Illegal To Buy Dead Bodies In Nigeria? by lollybee15(m): 10:13am On May 01, 2015
I've never heard of selling n buying of dead bodies for practical in medical schools before, what I used to know is that most bodies are accident victims who are not claimed by their family members and armed robbers executed by police which I believe it should be true. So, I doubt this story about buying n selling. Since it's for research works in these medical schools, it's a matter of government releasing these bodies to medical schools. However private schools may be the ones paying for this.
Re: Is It Illegal To Buy Dead Bodies In Nigeria? by iwriterng(m): 10:17am On May 01, 2015
betterpikinn:

You are asking a very silly question.
This is a question to answer your questions;
If a member of your family dies, would you like his or her body to just be sold off for some anatomy practicals ?

You obviously don't understand the context of my question. Bodies are needed for medical education, at least for the first three years of medical school. Am just concerned about who is selling the bodies. Its supposed to be donated for free, or bodies that belongs to the government (inmates, mentally ill and unclaimed bodies)

And to think my school is paying for those bodies makes me wonder how I am supposed to live with the guilt of dissecting somebody's body without his/her pleased consent.
Re: Is It Illegal To Buy Dead Bodies In Nigeria? by Holyfield1(m): 10:18am On May 01, 2015
I think it's legal so far it's for study nd not for babalawo ritual money......Do they collect license before buying dead bodies?
Re: Is It Illegal To Buy Dead Bodies In Nigeria? by iwriterng(m): 10:22am On May 01, 2015
lollybee15:
I've never heard of selling n buying of dead bodies for practical in medical schools before, what I used to know is that most bodies are accident victims who are not claimed by their family members and armed robbers executed by police which I believe it should be true. So, I doubt this story about buying n selling. Since it's for research works in these medical schools, it's a matter of government releasing these bodies to medical schools. However private schools may be the ones paying for this.

My school is state owned. I wish I can ask my HOD directly, but I can't. I just hope the money being paid is only a result of loop holes is the acquisition system.
Re: Is It Illegal To Buy Dead Bodies In Nigeria? by cold(m): 10:23am On May 01, 2015
I'm seriously contemplating becoming an organ donor and offering my corpse towards medical advancement. Being an Atheist i know i'm not going anywhere anyways so why not just give my body to a worthy cause

1 Like

Re: Is It Illegal To Buy Dead Bodies In Nigeria? by iwriterng(m): 10:26am On May 01, 2015
madgoat:

FOURTH YEAR AND YOU ARE STILL DOING CLINICAL ANATOMY..... AUTOPSY IS NOT CLINICAL ANATOMY... U CAN LIE OH...

Not that am obligated to give a response, but I would anyway. Yes! am a fourth year student, and autopsy is one of the topic we discuss under Clinical and radiological anatomy. You should ask questions when you don't understand something, rather than making baseless and silly assumption.

1 Like

Re: Is It Illegal To Buy Dead Bodies In Nigeria? by iwriterng(m): 10:28am On May 01, 2015
Re: Is It Illegal To Buy Dead Bodies In Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:31am On May 01, 2015
Nani4all:
The first poster has Sed it all....wonderful experience dissecting cadaver yesterday.
DO YOU REALLY HAVE A HEART?
Re: Is It Illegal To Buy Dead Bodies In Nigeria? by iwriterng(m): 10:33am On May 01, 2015
UrennaNkoli:
If you have a good teaching hospital, then you should be able to get cadavers from the numerous unwanted bodies within your reach.

This has always been my assumption, but its a wrong one. A larger percentage of the bodies I have worked on for the past three years are Hausas and my school is in South West region of the country. So the bodies in my laboratory are not the unwanted ones in our teaching hospital.
Re: Is It Illegal To Buy Dead Bodies In Nigeria? by AreaFada2: 10:40am On May 01, 2015
Nani4all:

It's a humbling experience dissecting one, especially the first time. It puts everything in perspective. Money, wealth, cars and all.

Post-mortem rather becomes routine.
Re: Is It Illegal To Buy Dead Bodies In Nigeria? by Bollinger(m): 10:41am On May 01, 2015
You are not supposed to buy bodies. But like everything in Nigeria where everything is in reverse, the norm does not follow. Citizens are asked during, lets say, applying for a drivers license, what they want their remains be done with. And, upon their death, it is used for that purpose. But since there is no reliable database in Nigeria, that option cannot even be considered.
Re: Is It Illegal To Buy Dead Bodies In Nigeria? by Mickheal(m): 10:41am On May 01, 2015
If u wanna buy dead body don't hesitate to contact me..wanna sell my freaking grandma
Re: Is It Illegal To Buy Dead Bodies In Nigeria? by iwriterng(m): 10:42am On May 01, 2015
sexyseun:
DO YOU REALLY HAVE A HEART?

Sure! Everybody does! I can actually relate with his experience. Working on the human body and seeing all important structures you've read about in books with your own eyes is a good experience.
Re: Is It Illegal To Buy Dead Bodies In Nigeria? by prospero15(m): 10:43am On May 01, 2015
jamex93:
dem tell u say the dead body no get owner ni

if u buy am and tomorrow the owner show

for mortuary say him want collect him body

waitin u dey reason say go happen?

Lie never finish...d body ran away grin
Re: Is It Illegal To Buy Dead Bodies In Nigeria? by jamex93(m): 10:49am On May 01, 2015
prospero15:

Lie never finish...d body ran away grin

lolx

na marathon race e go do
Re: Is It Illegal To Buy Dead Bodies In Nigeria? by prospero15(m): 10:50am On May 01, 2015
Buying..cadavers re nt jst sold nah..most of dem are bodies without certified owners..mostly cultists nd armed robbers..it's passed 2 medical students..wetin u carry dead body dy do..besides rituals re done with fresh tins grin
Re: Is It Illegal To Buy Dead Bodies In Nigeria? by dellaziz(m): 10:52am On May 01, 2015
Please who knows,where i can get empty TEA BAGS in lagos,abk or ibadan...(price included)
I.e un used tea bags...tnks in advance
Re: Is It Illegal To Buy Dead Bodies In Nigeria? by homesteady(m): 11:04am On May 01, 2015
the cadavers used in anatomy labs are bodies that were not claimed!
Re: Is It Illegal To Buy Dead Bodies In Nigeria? by paix(m): 11:17am On May 01, 2015
Why not use the bodies of prisoners that are on death row. After all they're government property.

1 Like

Re: Is It Illegal To Buy Dead Bodies In Nigeria? by imsuboi(m): 11:23am On May 01, 2015
Nani4all:

Your first time?

How fresh was it?

Ours wasn't that fresh sha.

Lots of vessels and nerves were missing embarassed
Re: Is It Illegal To Buy Dead Bodies In Nigeria? by benswagtt(m): 11:30am On May 01, 2015
JackBaueress1:
It is only the Nigeria Police that sells dead bodies.

Confirm!
z dat hw much u hate the police?
Re: Is It Illegal To Buy Dead Bodies In Nigeria? by dammytosh: 11:31am On May 01, 2015
delishpot:

He said buying not having. He meant to say, cadavers should be donated for free. If it is made a comodity to be exchanged for cash, many criminals will capitalize on it And see it as a trade / business. That is why its illegal to buy and sell human corpses. And of course it should be donated by a reputable source after police clearance and investigation. Make people no kill finish carry body go dash medical school to hide traces

Intelligent and spots on.

Posts like this makes me consider retiring from Nairaland struggle very soon.

No beating about the bush. You gave the answer.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nuhu Bamalli Poly Students Clash With Security Operatives In Zaria (pics) / Lecturers Promise To End Sexual Harassment & Extortion Of Students On Campuses / UNIUYO Epromac Revived | Epromac Result Checker

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.