Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,593 members, 7,809,153 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:34 AM

What Do U Think Of Writer Chimamanda Adichie - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / What Do U Think Of Writer Chimamanda Adichie (4880 Views)

Photo: Chimamanda adichie With Her Handsome Husband / Chimamanda Adichie's New Hair Style: Like Or Dislike? / Chimamanda Adichie & Husband Ivara Esege (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Do U Think Of Writer Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 11:21am On Feb 04, 2009
[color=#000099][/color]this chimamanda chick is good, ain't she? but do we really have a new generation storyteller that can outdo the great chinua achebe?
Re: What Do U Think Of Writer Chimamanda Adichie by wildbubble(f): 1:45pm On Feb 04, 2009
nchewi:

[color=#000099][/color]this chimamanda chick is good, ain't she? but do we really have a new generation storyteller that can outdo the great chinua achebe?
yeah i agree with you, last night i was reading some of her short stories, i think she is natural and just being herself. i love the simple writing. i have not read any of her novels yet anyway. simply because everybody wants everybody to start writing like Adiche. Have you read Adiche's half of the yellow sun? read it an improve that story. have you read purple hibiscus, read it and improve this other story. it was so annoying at first. but now that i'm getting to know her i think she's sweet and original, just like i want to be
Re: What Do U Think Of Writer Chimamanda Adichie by wildbubble(f): 1:52pm On Feb 04, 2009
about the new generation outdoing the old. it is so obvious. when was the last time you checked, cuz we have good young writers, have you read any of jude dibia's books. they are so cool. what old generation books are you even talking about. most of them are already being outdone.
Re: What Do U Think Of Writer Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 10:07am On Feb 06, 2009
jude dibia!!! i've not read any of his works. somedays ago, i stumbled on a book "the last duty" by isodore okpewho. meeenn!! dat guy ought to be celebrated. he is a very good story telller. r u writer urself? i want young writers to unite n promote their cause.
Re: What Do U Think Of Writer Chimamanda Adichie by Seun(m): 2:17pm On Feb 10, 2009
Short stories, novels, everything that bears her name is just good. She's consistently good.
Re: What Do U Think Of Writer Chimamanda Adichie by makdstar(f): 2:44pm On Feb 10, 2009
Blur
Re: What Do U Think Of Writer Chimamanda Adichie by makdstar(f): 3:07pm On Feb 10, 2009
Blur
Re: What Do U Think Of Writer Chimamanda Adichie by Ndipe(m): 8:17pm On Feb 10, 2009
Isidore Okpewho also wrote "The Victims." That's a classic that showcases the pitfalls of polygamy.

1 Like

Re: What Do U Think Of Writer Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 12:02pm On Feb 11, 2009
She's off the hinges.

I was reading Half Of A Yellow Sun when I was having WAEC. I couldn't put it down, it was just too much.

I passed my WAEC.

1 Like

Re: What Do U Think Of Writer Chimamanda Adichie by princesa(f): 12:57pm On Feb 11, 2009
I LOVE THE WRITER Isidore Okpewho
and love his books, Victims and last duty
so very exciting

1 Like

Re: What Do U Think Of Writer Chimamanda Adichie by chitzi: 4:31pm On Feb 13, 2009
this chimamanda chick is good, ain't she? but do we really have a new generation storyteller that can outdo the great chinua achebe?

I' ve read some of Chimamanda's short stories and must say that she is very good indeed.She has what I would call a "straightforward style": simple, very original, somewhat akin to Emmingway's. She is already a very important voice for the young generation of Nigerian writers.
But I do not share the sentiment that she can outdo Achebe.Both are different personalities.Both can thus be celebrated as great literary artistes without being compared.

about the new generation outdoing the old. it is so obvious. when was the last time you checked, cuz we have good young writers, have you read any of jude dibia's books. they are so cool. what old generation books are you even talking about. most of them are already being outdone.

Of course, a lot of good can be said of the new generation Nigerian writer.What with the prodigious outputs of Jude Dibia, Kaine Agary, Chimamanda Adichie and so many other silent voices, the new generation of Nigerian writers is finally here.But can we sincerely say that the New can surpass the Old?I would rather concur to the view that the New can explore the vast horizon presented by life and lay new grounds for posterity. Any talk of the New surpassing the Old should be pursued half-heartedly.Lest we forget it is owing to the likes of Ekwensi,Achebe, Amadi, Soyinka,Okpewho,etc,etc, that we have what is today called Nigerian Literature.If this is indisputable, let's then build on their works and expand the frontiers of literature in Nigeria.

Isidore Okpewho also wrote "The Victims." That's a classic that showcases the pitfalls of polygamy.

"The Victims" is truly a classic that is recommended for not just those who desire to have a harem, but also for those who find it difficult to get weaned off The Bottle.
Re: What Do U Think Of Writer Chimamanda Adichie by makdstar(f): 3:46pm On Feb 16, 2009
Blur
Re: What Do U Think Of Writer Chimamanda Adichie by muhsin(m): 11:50pm On Feb 19, 2009
Have never read any of her work. Only hear of her on medias. Period. But I can feel, for sure, she is wonderful. Yet she is, as once said on this board, overrated.
Re: What Do U Think Of Writer Chimamanda Adichie by queenesthr(f): 5:26pm On Nov 04, 2009
I think she is over rated. there are much better authors out there.
Re: What Do U Think Of Writer Chimamanda Adichie by RiffRaff: 12:44am On Nov 05, 2009
I think she is overated (my opinion)
its not lyk she's a bad writer but i tink she's just average. I dont know wat al d rave review is all about. Mayb cuz Nigeria is starvd of good writers.
She's 1 of d best of d new kid on d block.
My judgement might b impaird cuz i'm comparin her 2 people like festus iyayi, ekwensi & some foriegn writers.
Mayb i am lookin 4 d Nigerian version of sheldon, dan brown & co.
I jst tink her books is not as hot as we make it out 2 b. But then credit 2 mediocrity in a nation starvd of good writers.

1 Like

Re: What Do U Think Of Writer Chimamanda Adichie by semid4lyfe(m): 8:10am On Nov 05, 2009
She's good no doubt but comparing her to the likes of Achebe, E. Amadi, C. Ike, Isidore etc is sacrilegious.
Re: What Do U Think Of Writer Chimamanda Adichie by donjon: 10:15am On Nov 05, 2009
I'Ve read isidore's last duty! D ending of that book was choking!
I couldnt belive dat it ended like that!

Where can i get chimamamda's book to buy? In lagos
Re: What Do U Think Of Writer Chimamanda Adichie by Peaceworld(m): 4:04pm On Nov 06, 2009
We have good Nigerian writers. Achebe, Adichie etc They all have their styles, but they don't meet my taste. Seriously. I'm a Nigerian just back from the US. I am also an author, and will I say I've met my taste in my own writing. Maybe you can be the judge of this. I've finished three novels, although I've just published one at http://stores.lulu.com/georgeshadow
You can check out my BLACK BOOK on this site, and you can see the difference for yourself. The only problem I'm having now is that one cannot buy my books in Nigeria from Lulu because they don't ship to Nigeria due to fraud. Looking for a Nigerian publisher to fix this, but then while I'm at it, you can check out my novel covers below. I hope you see the difference I'm trying to stress on these covers.
Peaceworld.

Re: What Do U Think Of Writer Chimamanda Adichie by Peaceworld(m): 4:25pm On Nov 06, 2009
The images I wanted to paste here refused to show. Wonder why it's this bad,

Re: What Do U Think Of Writer Chimamanda Adichie by Nezed(f): 11:13am On Nov 07, 2009
Chimamanda is GOOD! Probably most of you prefer the likes of Grisham, Sheldon, Ludlum, Higgins, Steel, etc (i inclusive) and that is not because Chimamanda aint good, rather is because you prefer other authors writing style.

Her books aint the suspense filled type or new information divulging books.

Chimamnda writes in simple english, stories of day to day existence which most of us are familiar with because we are born in Nigeria/live in Nigeria and tend to under rate which i think of course is wrong. She basically have found out what style she is comfortable with and flows. Simple.

Secondly, she is NOT OVER RATED!
That girl is singularly doing what (what is nigeria's population now?) can not do! She is opening frontiers and rebranding Nigeria and Africa via literature. Wherever she goes, be it on media, talk in schools, interviews, etc, she has NEVER missed to talk about Nigeria or Africa! Her dressing even signifies her african heritage which she is so proud of.
Not only does she write well, she SPEAKS WELL! No accent, just crisp, clear english.

I stay in the UK and i remember looking for her book-Half of a yellow sun at a book store in Aberdeen last year december and was told to order for it as it was been rushed! Her purple Hirsbiscus was just one left in that BIG book store. I was so proud of her that day.
she has a huge fan base and been appreciated it US and Europe as she simply tells the African story with humour.

AT TIMES, I WONDER HOW SHE GOT TO BE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT A COUNTRY I WAS HAPPY TO LEAVE SOME YEARS BACK. and i feel so ashamed of myself.

So, poster, chiamanda is good, my only fear is that she may soon been colonized by the western world and made a professer/ OR given a chair in their uNIVERSITY. They have taken Achebe after all.
Re: What Do U Think Of Writer Chimamanda Adichie by Nezed(f): 12:23pm On Nov 07, 2009
Re: What Do U Think Of Writer Chimamanda Adichie by SEFAGO(m): 3:38pm On Nov 10, 2009
this chimamanda chick is good, ain't she? but do we really have a new generation storyteller that can outdo the great chinua achebe?

I think she is Ok, not in the league spectacular. The problem is that her success is based on the romanticized view of African culture by Europeans and not just pure literary brilliance. but considering the fact that we have haven't produced a literary giant for years- I really hope she is able to surpass Achebe. Also, I read purple hibiscus, and I saw motifs very similar to Achebe's book- which was a bit disappointing- I would like to see her do some more daring writing.

I haven't read her second book half of the yellow sun.
Re: What Do U Think Of Writer Chimamanda Adichie by africhika(f): 2:25am On Nov 11, 2009
i adore her. i can't wait to see her when she speaks at my university next april!!!!!
Re: What Do U Think Of Writer Chimamanda Adichie by meggieblac: 2:34pm On Nov 13, 2009
princesa:

I LOVE THE WRITER Isidore Okpewho
and love his books, Victims and last duty
so very exciting
i thought i was the only one wowed by Isidore Okpewho, the man's too good. please do you know any of his other novels apart from this two?
Re: What Do U Think Of Writer Chimamanda Adichie by muhsin(m): 4:49pm On Nov 13, 2009
meggieblac:

i thought i was the only one wowed by Isidore Okpewho, the man's too good. please do you know any of his other novels apart from this two?

I only read his work when I was doing one course on Orature. The man writes margically. Liked it.
Re: What Do U Think Of Writer Chimamanda Adichie by RuuDie(m): 7:08pm On Nov 13, 2009
saw her for the first time ever 2 days back on a u-tube video. . . . i think she's an absolute beauty! grin
Re: What Do U Think Of Writer Chimamanda Adichie by Peaceworld(m): 3:41pm On Nov 18, 2009
Nezed, it's a pity Nigeria is looking up to just one author. That shows our literacy level, don't you think? Shade
Re: What Do U Think Of Writer Chimamanda Adichie by Nezed(f): 3:16pm On Nov 19, 2009
Peaceworld:

Nezed, it's a pity Nigeria is looking up to just one author. That shows our literacy level, don't you think? Shade

I dont see what's wrong with Nigerians looking up to an author even if its only one!
Whats important is the values being picked up and how it fashions our lives and society.
Who would you rather we look up to? Our politicians?

Secondly, what is it with our literacy level? We may not be there yet, but we shall get there.
Re: What Do U Think Of Writer Chimamanda Adichie by jetore: 4:11pm On Nov 19, 2009
i have read purple hibiscus and although i found it interesting i dont view it as one of any spectacular writings. when i first picked it up i had the enthusiasm of reading something with a lot of suspense and very different considering the publicity that had been given to it. i think the whole excitemant stems from the fact that its been long we had good new writers in nigeria as we were used to the old ones,
Re: What Do U Think Of Writer Chimamanda Adichie by adebayo201: 7:51pm On Nov 23, 2009
cry
Re: What Do U Think Of Writer Chimamanda Adichie by otokx(m): 9:56pm On Nov 23, 2009
I think she is being over hyped by the media. Chinua Achebe and Wole Soyinka are in a class by themselves; one should not try to ascribe too much to Chimamanda Adichie.
Re: What Do U Think Of Writer Chimamanda Adichie by Cyberfreak(f): 7:18pm On Dec 04, 2009
Please can anyone who lives in Lagos tell me where to get Isidore's, Chimamanda's and other Nigerian novels? Thanks

(1) (2) (Reply)

Wole Soyinka's 1986 Nobel Prize, A Monumental Fraud. See WHY / The Adventures Of A Nigga / Toke Makinwa's On Becoming E-book For Free For Five Nairalanders

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.