Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,015 members, 7,825,188 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 08:42 AM

Tips On How To Identify Fake Perfumes - Fashion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Tips On How To Identify Fake Perfumes (43724 Views)

43(516 Pieces) Cartons Of Imported Perfumes For Sale At Wholesales Price / Top 10 Budget Perfumes For Men (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tips On How To Identify Fake Perfumes by bunchyproject(m): 12:13am On May 02, 2015
Who has all this time wen buying a perfume
Re: Tips On How To Identify Fake Perfumes by holluwai(m): 12:16am On May 02, 2015
Place of purchase matters a lot. There is store around Omole, the name starts with big--(add the rest) I once walked in there to buy a perfume and I noticed the had over 100 boxes of that perfume, I never thought about it until I realized that the perfume wasn't the original product after I started using it. Since then if I walk into a perfume shop and they have more than two to three boxes of the perfume I want, I won't buy from there.

1 Like

Re: Tips On How To Identify Fake Perfumes by Nobody: 12:21am On May 02, 2015
@OP this is very useful. however tell-tale signs that you have bought a fake perfume are usually 2 things for me.

1: The Quality of the Cellophane Wrapping - Fake perfumes have these crackling cellophane that has creases and folds when squeezed. The cellophane on the Real McCoys are of a softer quality and they retain their shape to a degree when squeezed.

2: Poor French or English text with foolish grammatical errors in composition and speling. No Perfume house will make such a silly mistake

This has helped me massively - also check FragranceNet DOT COM for images and descriptions of perfumes.

Better yet, order your perfumes direct from Amazon or Essenza, Montainge Place. reputable shops

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tips On How To Identify Fake Perfumes by Nobody: 12:22am On May 02, 2015
FriedPlantain:
I wish I had seen this thread like a month ago or so.

I bought a Tom Ford perfume at the Main Oshodi market for 15k so that I could wear it to my fiancee's family house since she has been disturbing me to come around. Immediately their family dog saw me and he ran towards me sniffing at my clothes and my body.

Ten minutes later the dog was found lying close to the gate, completely dead. cry

FriedPlantain

Re: Tips On How To Identify Fake Perfumes by Nobody: 12:22am On May 02, 2015
I feel uncomfortable when i dont smell nice

2 Likes

Re: Tips On How To Identify Fake Perfumes by mekadinho(f): 12:26am On May 02, 2015
THERE R LOTS OF FAKE TERRE D'HERMES IN DA MARKETS, I USED TO DIFFERENTIATE WITH NO{275}, BUT EVEN D FAKE ONES COME DEY D NUMBER AGAIN SELF... THOUGH ITS HAS BEEN LIKE MONTHS I USED IT LAST.
Re: Tips On How To Identify Fake Perfumes by queebeediva(f): 12:26am On May 02, 2015
Thanks for the info b most NL guys prefer the economical or Fake phefum no offence is just that most fake phefum has better packaging than the original and going to shopping mall can reap off your wallet . Chinko sha always bringing alternative to any real problem globally.
Re: Tips On How To Identify Fake Perfumes by Tgirl4real(f): 12:36am On May 02, 2015
Nice! Thanks for sharing. I prticularly appreciatew the bit about big stores not guaranteeing originality. The problem with this is that you get to pay the original price for a fake. Sad!
Re: Tips On How To Identify Fake Perfumes by AustinBlinks(m): 12:38am On May 02, 2015
Nice one! those mallam perfumes fit give person running nose

1 Like

Re: Tips On How To Identify Fake Perfumes by emmabest2000(m): 2:28am On May 02, 2015
kelvine:
I like quality and originality. Problem is that sometimes the fake is preferred for economic reasons.
Fake peff in 'Along bus stop Ikeja' can cost only 400 naira, original peff in 'Ikeja City Mall' can cost as much as 25,000 naira. At least fake is better than non. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

But then your write up is very informative.
which write up Copy and paste tins lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Tips On How To Identify Fake Perfumes by Originalsly: 2:58am On May 02, 2015
Nice write up. Fake perfumes are getting more difficult to spot by the packaging. My advice is this...if you want a particular fragrant...go to an established store and take a good look at and sample the original stuff. If not possible....spray some of the perfume on the back of your hand....smell it...wait for 5 to 10 minutes and smell again...if there is a difference in the scent it is fake. What I also discovered was that I guess some fakes may be made from the same base . You may sniff 3 different kinds of perfume...each with a different scent at first...but 10 minutes later there is a common scent (base) in all 3.
Re: Tips On How To Identify Fake Perfumes by Lexusgs430: 3:25am On May 02, 2015
A fake perfume that is packaged properly would be difficult to identify.
Location of perfume purchase, should normally give a sense of originality.
Buying a 25k perfume on oshodi bridge for N600, and you think it's original? You are on a long tin!!!!!
NB: I would rather wear chicken urine than use fake perfume

2 Likes

Re: Tips On How To Identify Fake Perfumes by luvluvluv: 3:44am On May 02, 2015
The truth be say... fake perfume jus be lyk women. them fine for outsyd den be like witch insyd. Well me na original I dey use but na once in a while

1 Like

Re: Tips On How To Identify Fake Perfumes by oge4real(f): 3:48am On May 02, 2015
owolawitola:
What makes a perfume fake?
A perfume is fake when it is not original .
Re: Tips On How To Identify Fake Perfumes by NoMoreTrolling: 3:51am On May 02, 2015
"If you like Gucci, then you will like Uche, for men" angry

3 Likes

Re: Tips On How To Identify Fake Perfumes by 7footre(m): 5:07am On May 02, 2015
You do know your onions when it comes to perfumes I must say.... bravo! gracias
Re: Tips On How To Identify Fake Perfumes by lonelydora: 5:34am On May 02, 2015
Op, i dont follow all these long stories. I just walk into a perfume shop,

Me: "madam" which perfume do you have?
She: which one do you want
Me: any good one
She: brings out one, spray small on my palm.
Me: I smell it, Okay, how much?
She: 1,800 or 5,000 or 15,000 or 25,000
I bring out money, pay and go my way. Whether fake or not, I no know.

1 Like

Re: Tips On How To Identify Fake Perfumes by jodeci(m): 5:40am On May 02, 2015
voltron:
@OP this is very useful. however tell-tale signs that you have bought a fake perfume are usually 2 things for me.

1: The Quality of the Cellophane Wrapping - Fake perfumes have these crackling cellophane that has creases and folds when squeezed. The cellophane on the Real McCoys are of a softer quality and they retain their shape to a degree when squeezed.

2: Poor French or English text with foolish grammatical errors in composition and speling. No Perfume house will make such a silly mistake

This has helped me massively - also check FragranceNet DOT COM for images and descriptions of perfumes.

Better yet, order your perfumes direct from Amazon or Essenza, Montainge Place. reputable shops

I have bought fake perfumes from amazon severally.

1 Like

Re: Tips On How To Identify Fake Perfumes by philips70(m): 6:02am On May 02, 2015
voltron:

Please be careful. There are loads of fake products on Amazon and eBay. You have to be used to using the sites before knowing who and who to buy from. Having said this anyone who wants to sell a perfume you already knows costs up to N40000 for N25000 is surely a fake seller. The price most times tells a lot. Fake perfs are everywhere around the world, even in the best malls. I suffered a lot as an addicted online buyer before I got some skills. Still no one is 100% immuned from buying a fake once in a while.
Re: Tips On How To Identify Fake Perfumes by crystalzoe: 6:05am On May 02, 2015
omoola333:
Very beautiful

hmmm this one dat u r changing moniker like shirt! u can run but u can't hide. continue cheating n scamming
Re: Tips On How To Identify Fake Perfumes by Homguy(m): 6:13am On May 02, 2015
Insightz:
I got some messages from some good nairalanders to help them identify fake perfumes. Well, buying a fake perfume, especially if you shelled out good money of it, can be annoying. Even if its not expensive, it helps to know. Sometimes, however, the problem is not about the money, but the ingredients used to concoct those perfume mixtures. This can lead to some serious health issues like irritations and more! So, I present to you some tips on how to identify a fake perfume. The list is not conclusive, but should help you get by. Here we go:

First
Before you Buy-Be vigilant
:

1. Perfume Origin: Where is the perfume made? where is the perfume house based? If you are buying perfume, you should be familiar with the perfume house. If not, it is always advisable to test out first. Ideally, at the airport.

2. Place of Purchase: It is generally the case that perfumes are sold everywhere in the world. But do you know some places are known for supplying fake perfumes? For example, a large proportion of fake perfumes emanate from china, Russia, Turkey, Romania. If your supplier tells you he is a distributor, ask him where he gets his supplies. There are known reputable suppliers in US and Europe. Also bear in mind that buying from a reputable store or big online retailer is no guarantee that you are getting the real deal either.

Second
After you buy: Onboxing- This is where you need to pay absolute attention:

3. Cellophane Wrapping: The first tale tale sign of a questionable perfume is usually in the packaging. First pay attention to the transparent cellophane wrap before you open. Is the cellophane clean and clear? Is it broken? and most importantly, is the cellophane well wrapped evenly around the edges and heat sealed? Be vigilant. Without cellophane, it is probably a returned bottle. If it is not a returned bottle, it is probably the last bottle used for display in the shop.

4. Box design/packaging: Similar to the cellophane wrapping, the carton housing the perfume bottle, should be made of quality material. It should feel firm and sturdy to the touch. Edges should be well cut, fitting perfectly. If the carton was damaged in transit, it is not a problem. Most fake packages have a over glossy look to them that screams "fake"

5. The Bottle: The cap on the bottle should fit snugly, should not easily come off. Also, the bottle should be well cut, and of highest quality. It should be smooth to the touch with no rough edges. If the bottle is transparent, you should able to look right from beneath and see the contents inside the bottle.

6. The writing on the bottle: The name of the perfume, and sometimes the perfume house must be well written on the bottle. Check that the writing is not shabbily done, check that every (i) is dotted and with apostrophes where applicable. Check for misspellings. For example, Terre d'hermes has an engraving round the cap. Most fakes come without the little apostrophe. Check also that lines align properly. Chanel should not be spelled 'Chanell" for example. Try to see if you can peel off the writing using your nails. If it comes off easily, well!

7. Marks/Codes/Engravings: Every perfume comes with manufacturer's marks or codes. Some of these codes represent dates of manufacture. You should the place of origin, The most important, however is that the code on the perfume housing, i.e. the pack or carton must correspond with the one engraved on the bottle. It is usually, 4 letter code. Also check to ensure that

8. The perfume proper: Have you ever used this perfume in particular? if not, you may find it difficult differentiating. Now to verify the perfume quality. 1. When you press the nozzle, the perfume should not just puff out. You should press at least 3-4 times. Some times even more. (Your perfume should first spray air) 2. How does it smell. Believe it or not some fakes smell horrible and bad. Some smell close to the real thing, but come short. 3. Spray the perfume on a transparent material, preferably on a glass window. There should be no residues on the glass surface. The colour should be consistent. You could also try to shake the perfume. The bubbles should take just a little while to settle and not settle immediately.

I hope this should help you get by. If you have other tips or feel I skipped something, please add. If you need further info, I will he glad to help.

PS: I will upload some photos soon. Dont forget to check my previous posts on "Top 10 Budget perfumes" and "Top Perfumes for Clubbing and partying

thanks for posting this. Remember we talked about terre d'hermes and you promised to post some pics , I would appreciate. BTW, I remebered we mentioned it as a good ,not expensive perf on the other thread, but i saw a terre d'hermes (not smart collection) costing around 10,000 naira, however, the smart collection I bought costs 1,500 and it still smells perfectly cool and lasts. Is there an explanation. Thanks boss.
Re: Tips On How To Identify Fake Perfumes by mudiana(m): 6:20am On May 02, 2015
FriedPlantain:
I wish I had seen this thread like two years ago or so.

I bought a Tom Ford perfume at the Main Oshodi market for 15k and wore it to my fiancee's family house since she'd been disturbing me to come around a long time back. Immediately their family dog saw me coming, he ran towards me sniffing at my clothes likes its life depended on it or something.

Ten minutes later the poor dog was found convulsing crazily by the gate. He eventually died an hour later despite desperate but fruitless attempt at reviving the nigga by my soon-to-be father in law. .

Needless to say, it is two years now and I am yet to receive another invitation into their house again. cry

FriedPlantain
doh! It is well.no cry again
Re: Tips On How To Identify Fake Perfumes by sacora(f): 6:27am On May 02, 2015
chuksila:
The economy is too tough for original perfumes
lwkmd.....na soo nau
Re: Tips On How To Identify Fake Perfumes by omokab: 6:28am On May 02, 2015
Nice write up.I bought a perfume at a cost of 8,500 naira from a friend believing it will be original and smell fine. Surprisingly,it did not.I was so annoyed but nothing I can do.The name of the perfume is kelly brook,100ml.I will like also like to know the cost of the particular perf.
Re: Tips On How To Identify Fake Perfumes by Insightz(m): 6:38am On May 02, 2015
Caracta:
Oh...thank you!

You are welcome. shop safe
Re: Tips On How To Identify Fake Perfumes by Insightz(m): 6:48am On May 02, 2015
Tgirl4real:
Nice! Thanks for sharing. I prticularly appreciatew the bit about big stores not guaranteeing originality. The problem with this is that you get to pay the original price for a fake. Sad!

Usually, they sell fakes banking on the fact that the buyer wouldn't be able to spot it as a fake.
Re: Tips On How To Identify Fake Perfumes by kaylechy(m): 6:49am On May 02, 2015
Insightz:
I got some messages from some good nairalanders to help them identify fake perfumes. Well, buying a fake perfume, especially if you shelled out good money of it, can be annoying. Even if its not expensive, it helps to know. Sometimes, however, the problem is not about the money, but the ingredients used to concoct those perfume mixtures. This can lead to some serious health issues like irritations and more! So, I present to you some tips on how to identify a fake perfume. The list is not conclusive, but should help you get by. Here we go:

First
Before you Buy-Be vigilant
:

1. Perfume Origin: Where is the perfume made? where is the perfume house based? If you are buying perfume, you should be familiar with the perfume house. If not, it is always advisable to test out first. Ideally, at the airport.

2. Place of Purchase: It is generally the case that perfumes are sold everywhere in the world. But do you know some places are known for supplying fake perfumes? For example, a large proportion of fake perfumes emanate from china, Russia, Turkey, Romania. If your supplier tells you he is a distributor, ask him where he gets his supplies. There are known reputable suppliers in US and Europe. Also bear in mind that buying from a reputable store or big online retailer is no guarantee that you are getting the real deal either.

Second
After you buy: Onboxing- This is where you need to pay absolute attention:

3. Cellophane Wrapping: The first tale tale sign of a questionable perfume is usually in the packaging. First pay attention to the transparent cellophane wrap before you open. Is the cellophane clean and clear? Is it broken? and most importantly, is the cellophane well wrapped evenly around the edges and heat sealed? Be vigilant. Without cellophane, it is probably a returned bottle. If it is not a returned bottle, it is probably the last bottle used for display in the shop.

4. Box design/packaging: Similar to the cellophane wrapping, the carton housing the perfume bottle, should be made of quality material. It should feel firm and sturdy to the touch. Edges should be well cut, fitting perfectly. If the carton was damaged in transit, it is not a problem. Most fake packages have a over glossy look to them that screams "fake"

5. The Bottle: The cap on the bottle should fit snugly, should not easily come off. Also, the bottle should be well cut, and of highest quality. It should be smooth to the touch with no rough edges. If the bottle is transparent, you should able to look right from beneath and see the contents inside the bottle.

6. The writing on the bottle: The name of the perfume, and sometimes the perfume house must be well written on the bottle. Check that the writing is not shabbily done, check that every (i) is dotted and with apostrophes where applicable. Check for misspellings. For example, Terre d'hermes has an engraving round the cap. Most fakes come without the little apostrophe. Check also that lines align properly. Chanel should not be spelled 'Chanell" for example. Try to see if you can peel off the writing using your nails. If it comes off easily, well!

7. Marks/Codes/Engravings: Every perfume comes with manufacturer's marks or codes. Some of these codes represent dates of manufacture. You should the place of origin, The most important, however is that the code on the perfume housing, i.e. the pack or carton must correspond with the one engraved on the bottle. It is usually, 4 letter code. Also check to ensure that

8. The perfume proper: Have you ever used this perfume in particular? if not, you may find it difficult differentiating. Now to verify the perfume quality. 1. When you press the nozzle, the perfume should not just puff out. You should press at least 3-4 times. Some times even more. (Your perfume should first spray air) 2. How does it smell. Believe it or not some fakes smell horrible and bad. Some smell close to the real thing, but come short. 3. Spray the perfume on a transparent material, preferably on a glass window. There should be no residues on the glass surface. The colour should be consistent. You could also try to shake the perfume. The bubbles should take just a little while to settle and not settle immediately.

I hope this should help you get by. If you have other tips or feel I skipped something, please add. If you need further info, I will he glad to help.

PS: I will upload some photos soon. Dont forget to check my previous posts on "Top 10 Budget perfumes" and "Top Perfumes for Clubbing and partying

Bro, do u have Chairman? And hw much are u selling?
Re: Tips On How To Identify Fake Perfumes by Pamelayoung: 7:02am On May 02, 2015
You talked abt testing out, but usually shops owner don't allow dat. So how do u test.
Re: Tips On How To Identify Fake Perfumes by egbaguy: 7:03am On May 02, 2015
I dnt do perfumes.....i am cool with my 'roll on'
Re: Tips On How To Identify Fake Perfumes by UncleDeeee(m): 7:16am On May 02, 2015
Just buy from a reputable shop and save yourself the stress. Don't get why someone should buy perfume in traffic

1 Like

Re: Tips On How To Identify Fake Perfumes by deebrain(m): 7:18am On May 02, 2015
FriedPlantain:
I wish I had seen this thread like two years ago or so.

I bought a Tom Ford perfume at the Main Oshodi market for 15k and wore it to my fiancee's family house since she'd been disturbing me to come around a long time back. Immediately their family dog saw me coming, he ran towards me sniffing at my clothes likes its life depended on it or something.

Ten minutes later the poor dog was found convulsing crazily by the gate. He eventually died an hour later despite desperate but fruitless attempt at reviving the nigga by my soon-to-be father in law. .

Needless to say, it is two years now and I am yet to receive another invitation into their house again. cry

FriedPlantain

So you are the one that killed that dog?

Submit yourself to the police. You are under-arrest.

angry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Original Pure White Gold Vs Fake Pure White Gold / Nigerian Lady Loses 49kg In 9months (Photos) / Guys On Skinny Jeans

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.