Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,211 members, 7,818,717 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:41 PM

Tips On How To Identify Fake Perfumes - Fashion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Tips On How To Identify Fake Perfumes (43693 Views)

43(516 Pieces) Cartons Of Imported Perfumes For Sale At Wholesales Price / Top 10 Budget Perfumes For Men (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tips On How To Identify Fake Perfumes by Nobody: 7:28am On May 02, 2015
literarymathy:
Wetin concern me if perfume real or fake? As long as say e de scent well and I nor go catch fire if I waka under sun, I'm good to goooooo. Anyway, a commendable write up and goodluck to those who have the patience to check everything in other to spot a fake because I know that for every anti-fake measure, the fakers will cloak their footprints.
LWKMD! These Warri men

1 Like

Re: Tips On How To Identify Fake Perfumes by jaydee87(m): 7:31am On May 02, 2015
how can we identify a fake even wen the packaging beats average, is it by the scent or what?
Re: Tips On How To Identify Fake Perfumes by Nobody: 7:42am On May 02, 2015
E get one hausa perfume wey I day use. Na 10 box I day buy am inside water pia pia bottle. if I were that perfume pass your street, it can take 1 5 minute before it's scent subside. .. E get one day I wear am day go church, as I pass one street, Na So bees waylaid me ooo. If you see my body, most especially my face, so swollen like puff puff. my friends and family members still day tease me till date come see laff. . It's almost 1 4 years back. . Lolxxxxx..

Fast forward to my year one in school, I was using a perf called dusha and it goes for 400#. . Wallahi, if my wear that perfume, both guys and babes day ask me wetin be the name of the perf, I go tell them say is an Arabian perf. . My hod once asked me to tell him the name of the perf, I had to tell her. She was perplexed that a perfume of such a little amount could smell so nice.. .

You fit see perf so cheap that smells so nice, but some smell like that used to anoint dead body. .. lolxxxxx

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tips On How To Identify Fake Perfumes by topeal(f): 7:53am On May 02, 2015
I've been a perfume freak from like forever, and I won't forget buying a cheap perf Frm an aboki in d motor park only to get hm n discover awful smelling substance in d bottle : angrybut I ve since learnt my lesson never to buy anything on d roadside. But now Asper maturity and levels na grin I now do my perfs basically @ essenza, though I once got something I suspected to be fake there, only once sha coupled with the fact that I practice perfume adultery, I never stick to a particular perf except wen am broke, then I go for perry ellis grin pls don't do road side talkless of aboki or there wld be a repeat of what happened to dat poor dog. cry

1 Like

Re: Tips On How To Identify Fake Perfumes by Ekken: 7:55am On May 02, 2015
Insightz:
I got some messages from some good nairalanders to help them identify fake perfumes. Well, buying a fake perfume, especially if you shelled out good money of it, can be annoying. Even if its not expensive, it helps to know. Sometimes, however, the problem is not about the money, but the ingredients used to concoct those perfume mixtures. This can lead to some serious health issues like irritations and more! So, I present to you some tips on how to identify a fake perfume. The list is not conclusive, but should help you get by. Here we go:

First
Before you Buy-Be vigilant
:

1. Perfume Origin: Where is the perfume made? where is the perfume house based? If you are buying perfume, you should be familiar with the perfume house. If not, it is always advisable to test out first. Ideally, at the airport.

2. Place of Purchase: It is generally the case that perfumes are sold everywhere in the world. But do you know some places are known for supplying fake perfumes? For example, a large proportion of fake perfumes emanate from china, Russia, Turkey, Romania. If your supplier tells you he is a distributor, ask him where he gets his supplies. There are known reputable suppliers in US and Europe. Also bear in mind that buying from a reputable store or big online retailer is no guarantee that you are getting the real deal either.

Second
After you buy: Onboxing- This is where you need to pay absolute attention:

3. Cellophane Wrapping: The first tale tale sign of a questionable perfume is usually in the packaging. First pay attention to the transparent cellophane wrap before you open. Is the cellophane clean and clear? Is it broken? and most importantly, is the cellophane well wrapped evenly around the edges and heat sealed? Be vigilant. Without cellophane, it is probably a returned bottle. If it is not a returned bottle, it is probably the last bottle used for display in the shop.

4. Box design/packaging: Similar to the cellophane wrapping, the carton housing the perfume bottle, should be made of quality material. It should feel firm and sturdy to the touch. Edges should be well cut, fitting perfectly. If the carton was damaged in transit, it is not a problem. Most fake packages have a over glossy look to them that screams "fake"

5. The Bottle: The cap on the bottle should fit snugly, should not easily come off. Also, the bottle should be well cut, and of highest quality. It should be smooth to the touch with no rough edges. If the bottle is transparent, you should able to look right from beneath and see the contents inside the bottle.

6. The writing on the bottle: The name of the perfume, and sometimes the perfume house must be well written on the bottle. Check that the writing is not shabbily done, check that every (i) is dotted and with apostrophes where applicable. Check for misspellings. For example, Terre d'hermes has an engraving round the cap. Most fakes come without the little apostrophe. Check also that lines align properly. Chanel should not be spelled 'Chanell" for example. Try to see if you can peel off the writing using your nails. If it comes off easily, well!

7. Marks/Codes/Engravings: Every perfume comes with manufacturer's marks or codes. Some of these codes represent dates of manufacture. You should the place of origin, The most important, however is that the code on the perfume housing, i.e. the pack or carton must correspond with the one engraved on the bottle. It is usually, 4 letter code. Also check to ensure that

8. The perfume proper: Have you ever used this perfume in particular? if not, you may find it difficult differentiating. Now to verify the perfume quality. 1. When you press the nozzle, the perfume should not just puff out. You should press at least 3-4 times. Some times even more. (Your perfume should first spray air) 2. How does it smell. Believe it or not some fakes smell horrible and bad. Some smell close to the real thing, but come short. 3. Spray the perfume on a transparent material, preferably on a glass window. There should be no residues on the glass surface. The colour should be consistent. You could also try to shake the perfume. The bubbles should take just a little while to settle and not settle immediately.

I hope this should help you get by. If you have other tips or feel I skipped something, please add. If you need further info, I will he glad to help.

PS: I will upload some photos soon. Dont forget to check my previous posts on "Top 10 Budget perfumes" and "Top Perfumes for Clubbing and partying

RUBBISH POST!
@OP, TELL US YOU ARE A MARKETER, DON'T GIVE US FAKE INFORMATION "your post is 79%" WRONG!
Re: Tips On How To Identify Fake Perfumes by fergieboy: 8:00am On May 02, 2015
Daninya11:
E get one hausa perfume wey I day use. Na 10 box I day buy am inside water pia pia bottle. if I were that perfume pass your street, it can take 1 5 minute before it's scent subside. .. E get one day I wear am day go church, as I pass one street, Na So bees waylaid me ooo. If you see my body, most especially my face, so swollen like puff puff. my friends and family members still day tease me till date come see laff. . It's almost 1 4 years back. . Lolxxxxx..

Fast forward to my year one in school, I was using a perf called dusha and it goes for 400#. . Wallahi, if my wear that perfume, both guys and babes day ask me wetin be the name of the perf, I go tell them say is an Arabian perf. . My hod once asked me to tell him the name of the perf, I had to tell her. She was perplexed that a perfume of such a little amount could smell so nice.. .

You fit see perf so cheap that smells so nice, but some smell like that used to anoint dead body. .. lolxxxxx

abeg were I fit get that Dusha perfume?
Re: Tips On How To Identify Fake Perfumes by Nobody: 8:04am On May 02, 2015
pretydiva:
Following
i know u must comment
Re: Tips On How To Identify Fake Perfumes by toocoded: 8:08am On May 02, 2015
FriedPlantain:
I wish I had seen this thread like two years ago or so.

I bought a Tom Ford perfume at the Main Oshodi market for 15k and wore it to my fiancee's family house since she'd been disturbing me to come around a long time back. Immediately their family dog saw me coming, he ran towards me sniffing at my clothes likes its life depended on it or something.

Ten minutes later the poor dog was found convulsing crazily by the gate. He eventually died an hour later despite desperate but fruitless attempt at reviving the nigga by my soon-to-be father in law. .

Needless to say, it is two years now and I am yet to receive another invitation into their house again. cry

FriedPlantain
OSHODI? 15K? r u kidding?
Re: Tips On How To Identify Fake Perfumes by Tgirl4real(f): 8:11am On May 02, 2015
Insightz:

Usually, they sell fakes banking on the fact that the buyer wouldn't be able to spot it as a fake.

Sometimes you suspect it's fake but cos of the store, you assume it can't be.

1 Like

Re: Tips On How To Identify Fake Perfumes by starlingbawa(m): 8:20am On May 02, 2015
Thanks for the tips...
Re: Tips On How To Identify Fake Perfumes by MnenaSadiku(f): 8:22am On May 02, 2015
Taylor86:
plz guys i want to ask if space booking in nairaland is a sin, cos i can't do without it am so addicted to it

any day i no book space e dey b me like say mk I faint

bck to d topic: bro tnx but i dnt use perfume

air freshner is the best

Thank me later

Are you a comedian? grin
Re: Tips On How To Identify Fake Perfumes by Nobody: 8:26am On May 02, 2015
MnenaSadiku:

Are you a comedian? grin

nah

just a funny dude to chill out with, just gv it a trial u won't regret it
Re: Tips On How To Identify Fake Perfumes by MnenaSadiku(f): 8:31am On May 02, 2015
Daninya11:

Yea, I remember Dusha. I used the body spray when I was in school years ago in the north. Very nice.

1 Like

Re: Tips On How To Identify Fake Perfumes by MnenaSadiku(f): 8:35am On May 02, 2015
Taylor86:

nah

just a funny dude to chill out with, just gv it a trial u won't regret it

Try a career in "comediology". You will make it big time. Thanks for making me laugh this morning.

*runs away before she derails the thread*
Re: Tips On How To Identify Fake Perfumes by Nobody: 8:49am On May 02, 2015
MnenaSadiku:

Try a career in "comediology". You will make it big time. Thanks for making me laugh this morning.

*runs away before she derails the thread*

u ain't derailing any thread, d first and second page of any thread is mainly for discussion while d rest is mainly for quoting

so blv me no one is seeing our chat.....

hmm nice idea though, but am into other things than comedy

so where u now
Re: Tips On How To Identify Fake Perfumes by Nobody: 9:02am On May 02, 2015
fergieboy:

abeg were I fit get that Dusha perfume?

Ask any hausa perfume hawkers. .
Re: Tips On How To Identify Fake Perfumes by insure1: 9:08am On May 02, 2015
FriedPlantain:

I bought a Tom Ford perfume at the Main Oshodi market for 15k and wore it to my fiancee's family house since she'd been disturbing me to come around a long time back. Immediately their family dog saw me coming, he ran towards me sniffing at my clothes likes its life depended on it or something.

Ten minutes later the poor dog was found convulsing crazily by the gate. He eventually died an hour later despite desperate but fruitless attempt at reviving the nigga by my soon-to-be father in law. .

Needless to say, it is two years now and I am yet to receive another invitation into their house again. cry

FriedPlantain

Hilarious! grin

Nice tips insightz
Re: Tips On How To Identify Fake Perfumes by owolawitola(f): 9:26am On May 02, 2015
Loool nice one. People buy perfumes for the smell and not the brand. Or the beautiful bottle or wherever it was made. So i dont think there is anything like fake perfume
oge4real:

A perfume is fake when it is not original .
Re: Tips On How To Identify Fake Perfumes by JoeCutie(m): 9:45am On May 02, 2015
owolawitola:
Loool nice one. People buy perfumes for the smell and not the brand. Or the beautiful bottle or wherever it was made. So i dont think there is anything like fake perfume
I love your argument. There's no such thing as fake perfume. I think. Once it smells nice, you're good to go. Not as if it's something you apply directly on your skin, maybe then you start talking about skin damage or something... But once a perfume emits a desired fragrance, I think it's good. But then using it beyond it's expiring date could be harmful though. smiley

Do they even have expiring dates? grin

2 Likes

Re: Tips On How To Identify Fake Perfumes by chrisxav: 9:55am On May 02, 2015
Do u know u can get cheap and affordable data pans from p.tech communications
we buy in bulk and sell at cheaper rates
mtn,
1gb @800
2gb @ 1500
Etisalat aitel and glo
500mb @ 500
1gb @800
2gb @ 1500
All Valid for 30days
call chris on 08109910475
BBM 55BD07F3 . Larger sizes available
Re: Tips On How To Identify Fake Perfumes by owolawitola(f): 9:55am On May 02, 2015
Lol i wonder. Thank u jare
JoeCutie:
I love your argument. There's no such thing as fake perfume. I think. Once it smells nice, you're good to go. Not as if it's something you apply directly on your skin, maybe then you start talking about skin damage or something... But once a perfume emits a desired fragrance, I think it's good. But then using it beyond it's expiring date could be harmful though. smiley

1 Like

Re: Tips On How To Identify Fake Perfumes by JoeCutie(m): 10:08am On May 02, 2015
owolawitola:
Lol i wonder. Thank u jare
U welcum. smiley

1 Like

Re: Tips On How To Identify Fake Perfumes by Insightz(m): 10:54am On May 02, 2015
Tgirl4real:

Sometimes you suspect it's fake but cos of the store, you assume it can't be.

Gbam!

1 Like

Re: Tips On How To Identify Fake Perfumes by insure1: 11:05am On May 02, 2015
voltron:
@OP this is very useful. however tell-tale signs that you have bought a fake perfume are usually 2 things for me.

1: The Quality of the Cellophane Wrapping - Fake perfumes have these crackling cellophane that has creases and folds when squeezed. The cellophane on the Real McCoys are of a softer quality and they retain their shape to a degree when squeezed.

2: Poor French or English text with foolish grammatical errors in composition and speling. No Perfume house will make such a silly mistake

This has helped me massively - also check FragranceNet DOT COM for images and descriptions of perfumes.

Better yet, order your perfumes direct from Amazon or Essenza, Montainge Place. reputable shops

Nice tips. But truth is that adulterated fragrances can come with same quality of cellophane wrapping.

In Nigeria, people erroneously term any fragrance that doesn't smell loud as they desire as fake perfume. Some fragrances were not created to be very pungent. This doesn't make them fake.

Having said that, perfumes are made with ingredients according to different notes. Top, middle and base notes. With original products, each ingredient is added to the mixture according to a specific measurement.
Fake perfumes, either use substandard of these ingredients or reduce the quantity of the ingredient of each note thereby reducing its potency.

Again, some perfumes come in exact packaging of the original but smell totally different. Top notes, middle notes and base notes are way off the ones created by the brand owners.
There are perfumes called 'Designer Impostors' that come as the RealMcCoy. Only a few can spot them.

Goodluck with purchases.

Jodeci, phillips70, Tgirl4real

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tips On How To Identify Fake Perfumes by shumuel(m): 11:15am On May 02, 2015
Nice tips Op wink
Re: Tips On How To Identify Fake Perfumes by openmine(m): 11:22am On May 02, 2015
FriedPlantain:

FriedPlantain

shocked shocked Chisos shocked shocked
Re: Tips On How To Identify Fake Perfumes by Insightz(m): 1:06pm On May 02, 2015
Homguy:
thanks for posting this. Remember we talked about terre d'hermes and you promised to post some pics , I would appreciate. BTW, I remebered we mentioned it as a good ,not expensive perf on the other thread, but i saw a terre d'hermes (not smart collection) costing around 10,000 naira, however, the smart collection I bought costs 1,500 and it still smells perfectly cool and lasts. Is there an explanation. Thanks boss.

Hi bro. Good to hear from you. First, let me clarify that Terre d'Hermes is not a budget perfume. Second, if you got a Terre d'Hermes for N10,000 it is probably a fake! Unless, it is a 50ml bottle. Let me be very direct my bro. A 200ML bottle costs between N35-38K. It could go for a little less if sold on discount. A 100 ml bottle Goes for about 20-25K. Those who have bought and used this perfume can testify.

Finally, if it smells good and lasts long, then go for it. But i should tell you that Terre always has good longetivity.
Re: Tips On How To Identify Fake Perfumes by Olufemiolaolu(m): 1:25pm On May 02, 2015
kJJFairy:
Thanks for the information!
U re cute meeeeeen
Re: Tips On How To Identify Fake Perfumes by Nobody: 1:45pm On May 02, 2015
insure1:

Nice tips. But truth is that adulterated fragrances can come with same quality of cellophane wrapping.

In Nigeria, people erroneously term any fragrance that doesn't smell loud as they desire as fake perfume. Some fragrances were not created to be very pungent. This doesn't make them fake.

Having said that, perfumes are made with ingredients according to different notes. Top, middle and base notes. With original products, each ingredient is added to the mixture according to a specific measurement.
Fake perfumes, either use substandard of these ingredients or reduce the quantity of the ingredient of each note thereby reducing its potency.

Again, some perfumes come in exact packaging of the original but smell totally different. Top notes, middle notes and base notes are way off the ones created by the brand owners.
There are perfumes called 'Designer Impostors' that come as the RealMcCoy. Only a few can spot them.

Goodluck with purchases.

Jodeci, phillips70, Tgirl4real

All that sciency stuff about perfumes just gets me lost.. so what i tend to do most times is go for the Eau De Parfums, buy from Duty-Free Shops anytime I travel or stick with the bigname shops like Montaigne and Essenza or Perfumery
Re: Tips On How To Identify Fake Perfumes by cronsberg: 2:17pm On May 02, 2015
The list is very correct. I remember i once bought a hugo boss perfume in an international airport for 50 u.s dollars. From the way the packaging and bottle feels you can tell its an original. Just one or two sprays on my shirt and the aroma lasts for two or more days. In my opinion the best places to buy original perfumes are international airports, well known shopping malls, company stores(chanel store, hugo boss store e.t.c)
below is the hugo boss i bought

Re: Tips On How To Identify Fake Perfumes by insure1: 3:25pm On May 02, 2015
voltron:

All that sciency stuff about perfumes just gets me lost.. so what i tend to do most times is go for the Eau De Parfums, buy from Duty-Free Shops anytime I travel or stick with the bigname shops like Montaigne and Essenza or Perfumery

Fair enough sir. These are very reliable places to buy from. But if you come around Lagos anytime, let me deliver your choices and only hope my prices beat those big stores.

Quality is not an issue.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Tips On How To Identify Fake Perfumes by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 3:34pm On May 02, 2015
JoeCutie:

but the smell won't last

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigerian Lady Loses 49kg In 9months (Photos) / Guys On Skinny Jeans / counter thread: Wearing Fake Butt And Boobs Pad Isn't Bad

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.