Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,204 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:04 AM

Tips On How To Identify Fake Perfumes - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Tips On How To Identify Fake Perfumes (43645 Views)

43(516 Pieces) Cartons Of Imported Perfumes For Sale At Wholesales Price / Top 10 Budget Perfumes For Men (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tips On How To Identify Fake Perfumes by Insightz(m): 7:05pm On May 01, 2015
I got some messages from some good nairalanders to help them identify fake perfumes. Well, buying a fake perfume, especially if you shelled out good money of it, can be annoying. Even if its not expensive, it helps to know. Sometimes, however, the problem is not about the money, but the ingredients used to concoct those perfume mixtures. This can lead to some serious health issues like irritations and more! So, I present to you some tips on how to identify a fake perfume. The list is not conclusive, but should help you get by. Here we go:

First
Before you Buy-Be vigilant
:

1. Perfume Origin: Where is the perfume made? where is the perfume house based? If you are buying perfume, you should be familiar with the perfume house. If not, it is always advisable to test out first. Ideally, at the airport.

2. Place of Purchase: It is generally the case that perfumes are sold everywhere in the world. But do you know some places are known for supplying fake perfumes? For example, a large proportion of fake perfumes emanate from china, Russia, Turkey, Romania. If your supplier tells you he is a distributor, ask him where he gets his supplies. There are known reputable suppliers in US and Europe. Also bear in mind that buying from a reputable store or big online retailer is no guarantee that you are getting the real deal either.

Second
After you buy: Onboxing- This is where you need to pay absolute attention:

3. Cellophane Wrapping: The first tale tale sign of a questionable perfume is usually in the packaging. First pay attention to the transparent cellophane wrap before you open. Is the cellophane clean and clear? Is it broken? and most importantly, is the cellophane well wrapped evenly around the edges and heat sealed? Be vigilant. Without cellophane, it is probably a returned bottle. If it is not a returned bottle, it is probably the last bottle used for display in the shop.

4. Box design/packaging: Similar to the cellophane wrapping, the carton housing the perfume bottle, should be made of quality material. It should feel firm and sturdy to the touch. Edges should be well cut, fitting perfectly. If the carton was damaged in transit, it is not a problem. Most fake packages have a over glossy look to them that screams "fake"

5. The Bottle: The cap on the bottle should fit snugly, should not easily come off. Also, the bottle should be well cut, and of highest quality. It should be smooth to the touch with no rough edges. If the bottle is transparent, you should able to look right from beneath and see the contents inside the bottle.

6. The writing on the bottle: The name of the perfume, and sometimes the perfume house must be well written on the bottle. Check that the writing is not shabbily done, check that every (i) is dotted and with apostrophes where applicable. Check for misspellings. For example, Terre d'hermes has an engraving round the cap. Most fakes come without the little apostrophe. Check also that lines align properly. Chanel should not be spelled 'Chanell" for example. Try to see if you can peel off the writing using your nails. If it comes off easily, well!

7. Marks/Codes/Engravings: Every perfume comes with manufacturer's marks or codes. Some of these codes represent dates of manufacture. You should the place of origin, The most important, however is that the code on the perfume housing, i.e. the pack or carton must correspond with the one engraved on the bottle. It is usually, 4 letter code. Also check to ensure that

8. The perfume proper: Have you ever used this perfume in particular? if not, you may find it difficult differentiating. Now to verify the perfume quality. 1. When you press the nozzle, the perfume should not just puff out. You should press at least 3-4 times. Some times even more. (Your perfume should first spray air) 2. How does it smell. Believe it or not some fakes smell horrible and bad. Some smell close to the real thing, but come short. 3. Spray the perfume on a transparent material, preferably on a glass window. There should be no residues on the glass surface. The colour should be consistent. You could also try to shake the perfume. The bubbles should take just a little while to settle and not settle immediately.

I hope this should help you get by. If you have other tips or feel I skipped something, please add. If you need further info, I will he glad to help.

PS: I will upload some photos soon. Dont forget to check my previous posts on "Top 10 Budget perfumes" and "Top Perfumes for Clubbing and partying

23 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Tips On How To Identify Fake Perfumes by kristen12(f): 7:16pm On May 01, 2015
Noted!!
Re: Tips On How To Identify Fake Perfumes by kelvine(m): 7:20pm On May 01, 2015
I like quality and originality. Problem is that sometimes the fake is preferred for economic reasons.
Fake peff in 'Along bus stop Ikeja' can cost only 400 naira, original peff in 'Ikeja City Mall' can cost as much as 25,000 naira. At least fake is better than non. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

But then your write up is very informative.

26 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Tips On How To Identify Fake Perfumes by Insightz(m): 7:24pm On May 01, 2015
kelvine:
I like quality and originality. Problem is that sometimes the fake is preferred for economic reasons.
Fake peff in 'Along bus stop Ikeja' can cost only 400 naira, original peff in 'Ikeja City Mall' can cost as much as 25,000 naira. At least fake is better than non. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

But then your write up is very informative.

Haha. Thanks. Just be careful what you spray on your body bro.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tips On How To Identify Fake Perfumes by Caracta(f): 9:16pm On May 01, 2015
Oh...thank you!
Re: Tips On How To Identify Fake Perfumes by UjSizzle(f): 11:40pm On May 01, 2015
Nice tips, thanks smiley

Why is it you hardly find threads from the fashion section gracing the home page?

Ishilove, Lalasticlala, Obinoscopy.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tips On How To Identify Fake Perfumes by Nobody: 11:48pm On May 01, 2015
I wish I had seen this thread like two years ago or so.

I bought a Tom Ford perfume at the Main Oshodi market for 15k and wore it to my fiancee's family house since she'd been disturbing me to come around a long time back. Immediately their family dog saw me coming, he ran towards me sniffing at my clothes likes its life depended on it or something.

Ten minutes later the poor dog was found convulsing crazily by the gate. He eventually died an hour later despite desperate but fruitless attempt at reviving the nigga by my soon-to-be father in law. .

Needless to say, it is two years now and I am yet to receive another invitation into their house again. cry

FriedPlantain

69 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Tips On How To Identify Fake Perfumes by Nobody: 11:50pm On May 01, 2015
Wetin concern me if perfume real or fake? As long as say e de scent well and I nor go catch fire if I waka under sun, I'm good to goooooo. Anyway, a commendable write up and goodluck to those who have the patience to check everything in other to spot a fake because I know that for every anti-fake measure, the fakers will cloak their footprints.

5 Likes

Re: Tips On How To Identify Fake Perfumes by kJJFairy(f): 11:50pm On May 01, 2015
Thanks for the information!

1 Like

Re: Tips On How To Identify Fake Perfumes by Penboy: 11:51pm On May 01, 2015
Cool... Place of purchase . I think this should be a priority in getting a top notch collogne.
You can't just expect the perfume you bought along the roadside (evening market in worse scenerios) to be in the same category as the one i bought in a Shoprite outlet. grin.

2 Likes

Re: Tips On How To Identify Fake Perfumes by Nobody: 11:51pm On May 01, 2015
plz guys i want to ask if space booking in nairaland is a sin, cos i can't do without it am so addicted to it

any day i no book space e dey b me like say mk I faint

bck to d topic: bro tnx but i dnt use perfume

air freshner is the best

Thank me later

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tips On How To Identify Fake Perfumes by wiloy2k8(m): 11:53pm On May 01, 2015
ok
Re: Tips On How To Identify Fake Perfumes by Lilshorecords(m): 11:53pm On May 01, 2015
i don't use perfumes!
Re: Tips On How To Identify Fake Perfumes by Mutuwa(m): 11:54pm On May 01, 2015
cool
Re: Tips On How To Identify Fake Perfumes by Ilekeh(f): 11:54pm On May 01, 2015
Nigerians....... the poster must be an indigene of Aba, Abia.

1 Like

Re: Tips On How To Identify Fake Perfumes by realGURU(m): 11:55pm On May 01, 2015
Sasuwa blog A new nigerian inspiring blogger, every update plus educative and informative article .
Re: Tips On How To Identify Fake Perfumes by chuksila(m): 11:55pm On May 01, 2015
The economy is too tough for original perfumes
Re: Tips On How To Identify Fake Perfumes by Fabdedon(m): 11:55pm On May 01, 2015
They have very beautuful containers
Re: Tips On How To Identify Fake Perfumes by LewisO: 11:57pm On May 01, 2015
Some go even get fine bottle, na lie and film-trick full inside. undecided

5 Likes

Re: Tips On How To Identify Fake Perfumes by Franchise21(m): 11:58pm On May 01, 2015
OK
Re: Tips On How To Identify Fake Perfumes by Alexgeneration(m): 11:59pm On May 01, 2015
Insightful
Re: Tips On How To Identify Fake Perfumes by Fabdedon(m): 11:59pm On May 01, 2015
Ilekeh:
Nigerians....... the poster must be an indigene of Aba, Abia.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tips On How To Identify Fake Perfumes by Spactacle(m): 11:59pm On May 01, 2015
fake things everywhere,,,

Nice Info @ op

meanwhile..

1 Like

Re: Tips On How To Identify Fake Perfumes by ramdris(m): 12:00am On May 02, 2015
So I have to read all this handout cos I wan buy perf?
Re: Tips On How To Identify Fake Perfumes by Qyubee(m): 12:00am On May 02, 2015
wat of d perf i de buy from my ab*ki padi? e de last eeh! grin
Re: Tips On How To Identify Fake Perfumes by Nobody: 12:00am On May 02, 2015
Nothing beat Hausa perfume

Anybody that say Nothing last forever, havent used an Hausa perfume ---- Albert Einstein 1744

7 Likes

Re: Tips On How To Identify Fake Perfumes by tylesh(f): 12:01am On May 02, 2015
lol....perfume buyers better shine their eyes grin
Re: Tips On How To Identify Fake Perfumes by pizzy24(m): 12:07am On May 02, 2015
Thanks for the tips, please how do identify the Aba fragrance, cos they causes skin acne.
Before you Buy-Be vigilant[/b]:

1. Perfume Origin: Where is the perfume made? where is the perfume house based? If you are buying perfume, you should be familiar with the perfume house. If not, it is always advisable to test out first. Ideally, at the airport.

2. Place of Purchase: It is generally the case that perfumes are sold everywhere in the world. But do you know some places are known for supplying fake perfumes? For example, a large proportion of fake perfumes emanate from china, Russia, Turkey, Romania. If your supplier tells you he is a distributor, ask him where he gets his supplies. There are known reputable suppliers in US and Europe. Also bear in mind that buying from a reputable store or big online retailer is no guarantee that you are getting the real deal either.

Second
After you buy: Onboxing- This is where you need to pay absolute attention:

3. Cellophane Wrapping: The first tale tale sign of a questionable perfume is usually in the packaging. First pay attention to the transparent cellophane wrap before you open. Is the cellophane clean and clear? Is it broken? and most importantly, is the cellophane well wrapped evenly around the edges and heat sealed? Be vigilant. Without cellophane, it is probably a returned bottle. If it is not a returned bottle, it is probably the last bottle used for display in the shop.

4. Box design/packaging: Similar to the cellophane wrapping, the carton housing the perfume bottle, should be made of quality material. It should feel firm and sturdy to the touch. Edges should be well cut, fitting perfectly. If the carton was damaged in transit, it is not a problem. Most fake packages have a over glossy look to them that screams "fake"

5. The Bottle: The cap on the bottle should fit snugly, should not easily come off. Also, the bottle should be well cut, and of highest quality. It should be smooth to the touch with no rough edges. If the bottle is transparent, you should able to look right from beneath and see the contents inside the bottle.

6. The writing on the bottle: The name of the perfume, and sometimes the perfume house must be well written on the bottle. Check that the writing is not shabbily done, check that every (i) is dotted and with apostrophes where applicable. Check for misspellings. For example, Terre d'hermes has an engraving round the cap. Most fakes come without the little apostrophe. Check also that lines align properly. Chanel should not be spelled 'Chanell" for example. Try to see if you can peel off the writing using your nails. If it comes off easily, well!

7. Marks/Codes/Engravings: Every perfume comes with manufacturer's marks or codes. Some of these codes represent dates of manufacture. You should the place of origin, The most important, however is that the code on the perfume housing, i.e. the pack or carton must correspond with the one engraved on the bottle. It is usually, 4 letter code. Also check to ensure that

8. The perfume proper: Have you ever used this perfume in particular? if not, you may find it difficult differentiating. Now to verify the perfume quality. 1. When you press the nozzle, the perfume should not just puff out. You should press at least 3-4 times. Some times even more. (Your perfume should first spray air) 2. How does it smell. Believe it or not some fakes smell horrible and bad. Some smell close to the real thing, but come short. 3. Spray the perfume on a transparent material, preferably on a glass window. There should be no residues on the glass surface. The colour should be consistent. You could also try to shake the perfume. The bubbles should take just a little while to settle and not settle immediately.

I hope this should help you get by. If you have other tips or feel I skipped something, please add. If you need further info, I will he glad to help.

PS: I will upload some photos soon. Dont forget to check my previous posts on "Top 10 Budget perfumes" and "Top Perfumes for Clubbing and partying

[/quote]
Re: Tips On How To Identify Fake Perfumes by owolawitola(f): 12:11am On May 02, 2015
What makes a perfume fake?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tips On How To Identify Fake Perfumes by pretydiva(f): 12:12am On May 02, 2015
Following

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

counter thread: Wearing Fake Butt And Boobs Pad Isn't Bad / Nigerian Lady Loses 49kg In 9months (Photos) / Guys On Skinny Jeans

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.