Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,265 members, 7,818,906 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:51 AM

The Booby Traps Before Buhari – Olisa Agbakoba. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Booby Traps Before Buhari – Olisa Agbakoba. (28683 Views)

Nigeria Will Disintegrate Before Buhari's Very Eyes - Femi Fani-kayode / Falana, Agbakoba: Ikpeazu No Longer Abia Governor by Law / Nigeria Is Sliding Into Economic Recession Under Buhari’s Watch – Olisa Agbakoba (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Booby Traps Before Buhari – Olisa Agbakoba. by talentarena(m): 8:16pm On May 02, 2015
The booby traps before Buhari – Olisa Agbakoba.

Ahead of the inauguration of the president-elect, Maj-Gen. Muhammadu Buhari, a former President of the Nigerian Bar Association (NBA) and human rights activist, Dr. Olisa Agbakoba, looks at issues in the polity which, according to him, border on national order,
constitutional reform, devolution of powers, anti-corruption, diversification of the economy, driving new public revenue, maritime, space and aviation. Agbakoba, however, says the litmus test for the president-elect concerns the political will to deal with salaries paid to federal lawmakers as well as the huge budgetary allocation to the Presidential Villa. Excerpts:

ECONOMY- Look at South Africa that is giving us problems today owns MTN. But MTN makes much money in Nigeria than Dangote Group of Companies and all the banks put together. Yet, they have nothing here. How can any serious policy planner allow such a leak, where people are allowed to come into the country, make money and take it away. With this, Nigeria will continue to bleed. So, financial planning requires Gen. Buhari to shed the roots and trees. He has to put Nigeria first. I had expected the Nigerian government to summon the South African ambassador and warn him that their businesses here will suffer if they continue to kill Nigerians in their country. Nigeria is a great country and I had only wished that the incoming President will fulfil his campaign promises. CONTINUED- CONSTITUTION-

One thing we must understand is that Nigeria’s problem is not its economic resources or its finances, but its lack of peace. This lack of peace has a history in the shape of three political constitutions we have operated. The colonial constitution, which was not in the interest of Nigeria; the civil constitution, which lasted between 1960 and 1966 and didn’t serve the interest of Nigerians; and the military constitutions designed to empower the various heads of state but didn’t have the interest of Nigerians at heart. The makers of the constitutions were ruling for the sake of themselves and their constituencies. Therefore, there wasn’t any peace and that was why the pro-democracy movement rose to challenge and confronted them. Then, we had the Olusegun Obasanjo and Goodluck Jonathan’s attempts to find peace in Nigeria. The National Conferences we have had were about peace and stability in Nigeria. That is why the biggest power the President enjoys is the power given by Section 5 to order the state of things in Nigeria, for the peace, order and good governance of the country. But, unfortunately, the National Conference process starting from Obasanjo, who had a third term agenda, was not genuine and the Jonathan process, which I was a party to, is incomplete. As I speak, we don’t have political compass for Nigeria. So, we are a mass of people with various cleavages and fault lines – religious, ethnic, linguistic – roaming in the vast territorial space called Nigeria, which Chief Obafemi Awolowo referred to as a geographical expression. We have not condescended Nigeria into a national spirit which we can say for the love of country. Unless, this is tackled, we are heading nowhere yet. This is why I have written the president-elect to be aware of the booby-traps.
CORRUPTION-

The second most important issue Buhari must pay attention to is corruption. All governments of Nigeria have paid lip-service to the issue of corruption. Buhari has now presented himself as a person and he has gotten a groundswell of support from Nigerians across the divides to tackle corruption. So, he has to be held to account for all the political promises he made. He should deal with the unconstitutional salaries of the National Assembly members. The Revenue Fiscal Mobilization and Allocation Commission (RFMAC) sets salaries, but the National Assembly refused to follow it. The money Nigerian lawmakers get constitutes about 25 percent of our national budget. Why won’t Nigerians want to go to the National Assembly if, as a member of the House of Representatives, I can get about N600 million, on the average, in a year? The lawmakers in the Senate get as much as N1 billion per annum; that’s why they kill themselves to go there. So, the lawmaker’s interest is not to go and make or pass laws, but because of the money that is there. That is also why they perform below average. I see this development as a corrupt practice and that is another most important thing Buhari must confront. The National Assembly must be brought to book. They must be made to conform with the constitution. It’s a big shame that the lawmakers are the ones that break the constitution and pay themselves the stupendous salaries they take home. I put this as a litmus test to Buhari. If he is able to tackle this issue of bringing the National Assembly within the lawful pay structure of Nigeria, I will clap for him. Then, of course, the profligate lifestyle of the average Nigerian politician has to go. Ten aircraft in the presidential fleet, when we have no national carrier?

http://talentarenaafrica.com/2015/05/02/the-booby-traps-before-buhari-olisa-agbakoba/

22 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Booby Traps Before Buhari – Olisa Agbakoba. by wachakuta(m): 8:17pm On May 02, 2015
Nna at 1st na boby I 1st see ooo grin

17 Likes

Re: The Booby Traps Before Buhari – Olisa Agbakoba. by temitemi1(m): 8:19pm On May 02, 2015
#BABAONECHANCE

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Booby Traps Before Buhari – Olisa Agbakoba. by nzeobi(m): 8:19pm On May 02, 2015
They are not traps rather they are challenges

7 Likes

Re: The Booby Traps Before Buhari – Olisa Agbakoba. by talentarena(m): 8:20pm On May 02, 2015
wachakuta:

My first time quoting anyone, hahahahahahahah, this got me laughing.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Booby Traps Before Buhari – Olisa Agbakoba. by IamOdin: 8:23pm On May 02, 2015
i think he should be equal to the task.

1 Like

Re: The Booby Traps Before Buhari – Olisa Agbakoba. by vislabraye(m): 8:28pm On May 02, 2015
wachakuta:

Me sef. grin

6 Likes

Re: The Booby Traps Before Buhari – Olisa Agbakoba. by Firefire(m): 8:31pm On May 02, 2015
The second most important issue Buhari must pay attention to is corruption.

All governments of Nigeria have paid lip-service to the issue of corruption.

Buhari has now presented himself as a person and he has gotten a groundswell of support from Nigerians across the divides to tackle corruption.

So, he has to be held to account for all the political promises he made.

God please, we ask that you help #BabaOneChance in Jesus Name we pray. Ameen.

11 Likes

Re: The Booby Traps Before Buhari – Olisa Agbakoba. by houstonia(m): 8:38pm On May 02, 2015
[size=15pt] God please, we ask that you help #BabaOneChance
in Jesus Name we pray. Ameen.
[/size]

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Booby Traps Before Buhari – Olisa Agbakoba. by efilefun(m): 8:41pm On May 02, 2015
temitemi1:
#BABAONECHANCE
Smh

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Booby Traps Before Buhari – Olisa Agbakoba. by ChikezieU(m): 8:43pm On May 02, 2015
talentarena:
The booby traps before Buhari – Olisa Agbakoba.

Ahead of the inauguration of the president-elect, Maj-Gen. Muhammadu Buhari, a former President of the Nigerian Bar Association (NBA) and human rights activist, Dr. Olisa Agbakoba, looks at issues in the polity which, according to him, border on national order,
constitutional reform, devolution of powers, anti-corruption, diversification of the economy, driving new public revenue, maritime, space and aviation. Agbakoba, however, says the litmus test for the president-elect concerns the political will to deal with salaries paid to federal lawmakers as well as the huge budgetary allocation to the Presidential Villa. Excerpts:

ECONOMY- Look at South Africa that is giving us problems today owns MTN. But MTN makes much money in Nigeria than Dangote Group of Companies and all the banks put together. Yet, they have nothing here. How can any serious policy planner allow such a leak, where people are allowed to come into the country, make money and take it away. With this, Nigeria will continue to bleed. So, financial planning requires Gen. Buhari to shed the roots and trees. He has to put Nigeria first. I had expected the Nigerian government to summon the South African ambassador and warn him that their businesses here will suffer if they continue to kill Nigerians in their country. Nigeria is a great country and I had only wished that the incoming President will fulfil his campaign promises.  CONTINUED- CONSTITUTION-

One thing we must understand is that Nigeria’s problem is not its economic resources or its finances, but its lack of peace. This lack of peace has a history in the shape of three political constitutions we have operated. The colonial constitution, which was not in the interest of Nigeria; the civil constitution, which lasted between 1960 and 1966 and didn’t serve the interest of Nigerians; and the military constitutions designed to empower the various heads of state but didn’t have the interest of Nigerians at heart. The makers of the constitutions were ruling for the sake of themselves and their constituencies. Therefore, there wasn’t any peace and that was why the pro-democracy movement rose to challenge and confronted them. Then, we had the Olusegun Obasanjo and Goodluck Jonathan’s attempts to find peace in Nigeria. The National Conferences we have had were about peace and stability in Nigeria. That is why the biggest power the President enjoys is the power given by Section 5 to order the state of things in Nigeria, for the peace, order and good governance of the country. But, unfortunately, the National Conference process starting from Obasanjo, who had a third term agenda, was not genuine and the Jonathan process, which I was a party to, is incomplete. As I speak, we don’t have political compass for Nigeria. So, we are a mass of people with various cleavages and fault lines – religious, ethnic, linguistic – roaming in the vast territorial space called Nigeria, which Chief Obafemi Awolowo referred to as a geographical expression. We have not condescended Nigeria into a national spirit which we can say for the love of country. Unless, this is tackled, we are heading nowhere yet. This is why I have written the president-elect to be aware of the booby-traps.
CORRUPTION-

The second most important issue Buhari must pay attention to is corruption. All governments of Nigeria have paid lip-service to the issue of corruption. Buhari has now presented himself as a person and he has gotten a groundswell of support from Nigerians across the divides to tackle corruption. So, he has to be held to account for all the political promises he made. He should deal with the unconstitutional salaries of the National Assembly members. The Revenue Fiscal Mobilization and Allocation Commission (RFMAC) sets salaries, but the National Assembly refused to follow it. The money Nigerian lawmakers get constitutes about 25 percent of our national budget. Why won’t Nigerians want to go to the National Assembly if, as a member of the House of Representatives, I can get about N600 million, on the average, in a year? The lawmakers in the Senate get as much as N1 billion per annum; that’s why they kill themselves to go there. So, the lawmaker’s interest is not to go and make or pass laws, but because of the money that is there. That is also why they perform below average. I see this development as a corrupt practice and that is another most important thing Buhari must confront. The National Assembly must be brought to book. They must be made to conform with the constitution. It’s a big shame that the lawmakers are the ones that break the constitution and pay themselves the stupendous salaries they take home. I put this as a litmus test to Buhari. If he is able to tackle this issue of bringing the National Assembly within the lawful pay structure of Nigeria, I will clap for him. Then, of course, the profligate lifestyle of the average Nigerian politician has to go. Ten aircraft in the presidential fleet, when we have no national carrier?

http://talentarenaafrica.com/2015/05/02/the-booby-traps-before-buhari-olisa-agbakoba/
seconded, I hope gets things better

1 Like

Re: The Booby Traps Before Buhari – Olisa Agbakoba. by Bevista: 9:09pm On May 02, 2015
ECONOMY- Look at South Africa that is giving us problems today owns MTN. But MTN makes much money in Nigeria than Dangote Group of Companies and all the banks put together. Yet, they have nothing here. How can any serious policy planner allow such a leak, where people are allowed to come into the country, make money and take it away. With this, Nigeria will continue to bleed. So, financial planning requires Gen. Buhari to shed the roots and trees. He has to put Nigeria first. I had expected the Nigerian government to summon the South African ambassador and warn him that their businesses here will suffer if they continue to kill Nigerians in their country. Nigeria is a great country and I had only wished that the incoming President will fulfil his campaign promises.
It may interest you to note that MTN is neither a Monopoly nor a Thief. They make legitimate business in a competitive market, and customers willingly pay for their services. These customers have options, yet they still choose MTN.

If the South African government needs to be summoned for their response to a spontaneous attack like xenophobia, then the Nigerian government needs to be crucified for their response to an orchestrated attack like Boko Haram.

7 Likes

Re: The Booby Traps Before Buhari – Olisa Agbakoba. by mamayo99: 9:13pm On May 02, 2015
chai,,there is God o
Digital Marketing Company Job Recruitment In Abuja, May 2015
Click here to apply >> http://pblc.is/4RMU
Re: The Booby Traps Before Buhari – Olisa Agbakoba. by datola: 9:42pm On May 02, 2015
Nice piece from a patriotic Nigerian!

Buhari should sell off the presidential jets to remain one. Cut his own pay/perks and those of his cabinet members, cut the numbers of advisers and various committees without commitments.

He should force the National Assembly to follow the law which will see their take home pay reduce by up to 70%. The NA members don't have a choice because majority of Nigerians will support this.

If he was able to do the above within the first quarter of his governance, he can smoothly remove the demonic fuel subsidy without much rancor from the people as far as they can see seriousness in key sectors: mass transportation, refinery, etc.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Booby Traps Before Buhari – Olisa Agbakoba. by eaglechild: 9:55pm On May 02, 2015
I don't know what the trap is here.

Buhari has a magic broom that is meant to make everything perfect.

That is what he promised us and that is what we are waiting for.

Anything less than that is failure.

7 Likes

Re: The Booby Traps Before Buhari – Olisa Agbakoba. by atctech(m): 10:16pm On May 02, 2015
Whats the heck? Buhari hasn't been sworn in so what's the problem.

2 Likes

Re: The Booby Traps Before Buhari – Olisa Agbakoba. by Nobody: 10:17pm On May 02, 2015
Hmmmm
Re: The Booby Traps Before Buhari – Olisa Agbakoba. by zigger(m): 10:17pm On May 02, 2015
Nigería has drowned, she cannot be saved. #iwishiwasnotnigerian

1 Like

Re: The Booby Traps Before Buhari – Olisa Agbakoba. by Nobody: 10:17pm On May 02, 2015
hg
Re: The Booby Traps Before Buhari – Olisa Agbakoba. by Ilekeh(f): 10:18pm On May 02, 2015
Buhari should just focus on SW+ Edo/N/MB.

Ignore the booby traps set by enemies of progress.

7 Likes

Re: The Booby Traps Before Buhari – Olisa Agbakoba. by intergral(m): 10:19pm On May 02, 2015
Back to sender it will not work on BABA...

2 Likes

Re: The Booby Traps Before Buhari – Olisa Agbakoba. by Nobody: 10:20pm On May 02, 2015
If he could survive the booby traps set by the PDP, TANoids and other GEJ allied conspiracies, I'm sure he'll do just fine surviving and weathering any storm that may come.

4 Likes

Re: The Booby Traps Before Buhari – Olisa Agbakoba. by alaoeri: 10:20pm On May 02, 2015
Keep calm & watch while the General transform Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: The Booby Traps Before Buhari – Olisa Agbakoba. by adrusa: 10:22pm On May 02, 2015
Why didn't this hypocrite point these out to Jonathan in the last six years. Every fool is now setting traps for poor Buhari. Okey-Odumakin wants him to bring out the Chibok girls after romancing with Jonathan for one year without asking him for the girls. NLC's Wabba and his likes could not get the minimum wage increase pass N18,000, now they are asking Buhari for N90,000. Agbakoba just woke up to capital flight from Nigeria. When Jonathan put about $10M on Ayo Oritsejafor's plane to South Africa, what did he say?

33 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Booby Traps Before Buhari – Olisa Agbakoba. by Nobody: 10:23pm On May 02, 2015
yea
Re: The Booby Traps Before Buhari – Olisa Agbakoba. by world888: 10:23pm On May 02, 2015
Black Toyota Venza with registration no: LSR175DF was snatched 30mins ago in ada-george. Port harcourt. Call 07034378255, 08035512070. Chasis no: 4T3BK11A59V000846, Engine No: 2GR6541786
Re: The Booby Traps Before Buhari – Olisa Agbakoba. by Aromas: 10:23pm On May 02, 2015
eaglechild:
I don't know what the trap is here.
Buhari has a magic broom that is meant to make everything perfect.
That is what he promised us and that is what we are waiting for.
Anything less than that is failure.
You need to understand what Olisa his trying to figure out

1 Like

Re: The Booby Traps Before Buhari – Olisa Agbakoba. by atlwireles: 10:25pm On May 02, 2015
. But MTN makes much money in Nigeria than Dangote Group of Companies and all the banks put together. Yet, they have nothing here. How can any serious policy planner allow such a leak, where people are allowed to come into the country, make money and take it away. With this, Nigeria will continue to bleed.

This is the problem I have with fake Nigeria nationalists. Nigeria licensed MTN to operate a GSM 900/1800 frequencies telcom service, gave them nothing but a piece of paper.

Over the years MTN has invested more than $25B cash in Nigeria, for telecom infrastructures. Yet Olisa and people like him think MTN is committing a crime earning money for services they provide. This is the problem in Nigeria, where everyone thinks crude oil is their inheritance and hardwork is for fools only.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Booby Traps Before Buhari – Olisa Agbakoba. by Xtracoool(m): 10:26pm On May 02, 2015
we are a mass of people with various cleavages and fault lines – religious, ethnic, linguistic – roaming in the vast territorial space called Nigeria

This is the root of our problems. There is no patriotism, no pride.

Nigeria can be likened to a house on fire; instead of these politicians quenching the fire, they try to take as much as they can out of the house before it finally burns to the ground cry.

Will it ever get better?

3 Likes

Re: The Booby Traps Before Buhari – Olisa Agbakoba. by Nobody: 10:29pm On May 02, 2015
If any president in a democratic setting Decides to screw up his lawmakers , Den he should be rest assured that he will fail badly.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

FG To Borrow To Pay N165bn Salaries Of Civil Servants - Adeosun / Lagos Assembly Reverses Pedro's Impeachment After Eight Years / 3 Service Chiefs Meet In Aso Rock

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.