Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,356 members, 7,954,449 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 07:07 PM

Eko Oyi Which Means Camp Of Thieves! Eko Oyi Is Edo Language. - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Eko Oyi Which Means Camp Of Thieves! Eko Oyi Is Edo Language. (1419 Views)

See How Ooni Of Ife Departed Eko Hotels In Lagos For Osun State After His Visit / Giving Money To Beggars Vs Giving Money As Offering Which Means More To God? / What Do You Think It Means To Be African (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Eko Oyi Which Means Camp Of Thieves! Eko Oyi Is Edo Language. by Arogunmasa(m): 11:52pm On May 03, 2015
N'landers, I brought this mayb u can shade more lyt on it. For me I found it unbeliveable, but then I don't knw much about this. I want to learn, no tribal bashing.

"It has come to my notice that Ikoyi got its name from Eko Oyi which means Camp of Thieves! Eko oyi is Edo language. The place was so named during the era of slave trading.
Some name you might say."

Pls quote ur source(s) to butress ur argument, cheers!

1 Like

Re: Eko Oyi Which Means Camp Of Thieves! Eko Oyi Is Edo Language. by bigfrancis21: 2:32am On May 04, 2015
Arogunmasa:
N'landers, I brought this mayb u can shade more lyt on it. For me I found it unbeliveable, but then I don't knw much about this. I want to learn, no tribal bashing.

"It has come to my notice that Ikoyi got its name from Eko Oyi which means Camp of Thieves! Eko oyi is Edo language. The place was so named during the era of slave trading.
Some name you might say."

Pls quote ur source(s) to butress ur argument, cheers!

Anybody translate 'ikoyi' in yoruba for us?
Re: Eko Oyi Which Means Camp Of Thieves! Eko Oyi Is Edo Language. by Funjosh(m): 5:51am On May 04, 2015
Wetin we no go hear for Nairaland, have you guys read about the Onikoyi Royal family, or read about the Ikoyi Land of Osun State

2 Likes

Re: Eko Oyi Which Means Camp Of Thieves! Eko Oyi Is Edo Language. by Kylez(m): 6:14am On May 04, 2015
Watching in 5D.....
Re: Eko Oyi Which Means Camp Of Thieves! Eko Oyi Is Edo Language. by Arogunmasa(m): 11:47am On May 04, 2015
Still waiting.
Re: Eko Oyi Which Means Camp Of Thieves! Eko Oyi Is Edo Language. by Nobody: 5:04pm On May 04, 2015
Given that the city of Ikoyi was one of the oldest, most prestigious provincial cities in the old Oyo Kingdom, this theory that it dates back only to slavery days (by which I believe you mean the trans-Atlantic slavery) seems very unlikely to be correct.

I think there are traditions that connect the Ikoyi in Lagos to this ancient Ikoyi of old Oyo.
This Bini angle is new.

1 Like

Re: Eko Oyi Which Means Camp Of Thieves! Eko Oyi Is Edo Language. by Nobody: 5:42pm On May 04, 2015
Radoillo:
Given that the city of Ikoyi was one of the oldest, most prestigious provincial cities in the old Oyo Kingdom, this theory that it dates back only to slavery days (by which I believe you mean the trans-Atlantic slavery) seems very unlikely to be correct.

I think there are traditions that connect the Ikoyi in Lagos to this ancient Ikoyi of old Oyo.
This Bini angle is new.

I read in one article that Eko Oyi is Esan instead of Bini, given the fact that most of the soldiers in the ancient Benin Kingdom were of Esan stock. Oh well, whether it's Yoruba or Edo, it doesn't matter.
Re: Eko Oyi Which Means Camp Of Thieves! Eko Oyi Is Edo Language. by kissignify: 9:05am On May 23
Any where you see ikoyi town in Nigeria or Benin Republic, the people came from ikoyi ile in osun from the old oyo empire. These people were the horse soldiers raiders for the old oyo empire

(1) (Reply)

What Is Your Nationality And Ethnic Background? / Characteristics Of People Born In The Month Of July. / Beautiful Kenyans

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.