Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,609 members, 7,827,298 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 10:17 AM

Oil Cartels Are Holding The Country To Ransom. Ngozi Okonjo Iweala. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Oil Cartels Are Holding The Country To Ransom. Ngozi Okonjo Iweala. (428 Views)

Cartels Running Commercial Banks In Nigeria — Senate / Soldiers Hold Usman Durkwa To Ransom, Threaten To Kill Him / "We Won’t Allow Anyone Hold Nigeria To Ransom" - Osinbajo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oil Cartels Are Holding The Country To Ransom. Ngozi Okonjo Iweala. by CaptPlanet(m): 8:00am On May 04, 2015
These oil marketers are the true enemies of Nigeria. They're the same people who will claim to sympathetic to the common man's pain meanwhile, they're the ones inflicting it. I am of the opinion that subsidy has to go.

Coordinating Minister for the Economy and Minister of Finance, Dr. Ngozi Okonjo- Iweala has described Oil Marketers as Oil Cartels holding the nation to ransom.

In what appears to be apparent frustration with the marketers, the federal government said the outstanding debts owed is about N131 billion based on Petroleum Pricing Products Regulatory Agency’s (PPRA) template not N200.2 billion as claimed by the marketers.

The Minister said “It has become a situation where we have a cartel that can ground the nation to a halt at will.

” I strongly suggest that the nation has to do something about it. It has been very stressful for four years, trying to cope with a group that controls a very important sector of a nation and they are small enough to organize themselves.”

“This means that they can hold a nation to ransom anytime they want. And that is what is happening.

“I remember when I came back as finance minister on August 17th 2011, the first thing that confronted me was this scandal of subsidies. By then more that N 1 trillion had already been paid. And we went through that whole thing and since then we cleaned up, restructured and trimmed down.

“You see that the amount we have been paying year by year diminished substantially to about N971 billion a year down from the N 2.3 trillion of 2011. We brought it from N 2.3 trillion to about N 971 trillion that has been in the budget each year. So, we made very substantial restructuring and changes to the whole process that brought the amount down for the nation. But yet we have to deal with this problem and the whole country has seen us trying our best struggling.”

The Minister added that the Oil Marketers have no risk, rather the government is taking full risk for their businesses.

She said “The template that governs their business is designed to cover all their costs plus a profit margin. That is PPPRA template which I have quarrelled with for quite some. So it is really no risk business for them. Or very little risk. I am not saying there is no stress. Of course, they have stress. But the risks are all covered by the template that was negotiated with PPPRA long ago. And it is actually that template that we have been quarrelling with.

”Based on that, the government is taking a full risk of their business according to this template. Even when we have revenue shortfall, any interest that accrues has to be paid by government. That is what was negotiated.

“So, they are in a no risk business and we have been pleading with them that if that is the case at least supply Nigerians with the fuel because at the end of the day the government is still paying for all of this. Why are you making Nigerians suffer? Why these long queues?

http://www.theheraldng.com/fuel-scarcity-oil-cartels-are-holding-the-nation-to-ransom-okonjo-iweala/
Re: Oil Cartels Are Holding The Country To Ransom. Ngozi Okonjo Iweala. by Nobody: 8:30am On May 04, 2015
Whether cartel or government May 29 is the day....we thank you all.
Re: Oil Cartels Are Holding The Country To Ransom. Ngozi Okonjo Iweala. by Nobody: 8:32am On May 04, 2015
Madam Ngozi we understand what is going on. The same cartel are the same people waving brooms and chanting #change. Alhaji Buhari will be sworn in 25days time, let us see where his noise will go and how he intend to offend his puppeteers that are holding Nigeria to Ransome.
Re: Oil Cartels Are Holding The Country To Ransom. Ngozi Okonjo Iweala. by Nobody: 8:36am On May 04, 2015
cartel or government May 29 is the day....thank you all.
Re: Oil Cartels Are Holding The Country To Ransom. Ngozi Okonjo Iweala. by PassingShot(m): 8:39am On May 04, 2015
The poster above the poster above me (Mr. Hurting Protection) needs help and he needs it fast. If you are close to him, please help check him in at Yaba Left to be treated for a condition called ELM (Election Loss Madness).

@ topic, Madam Ngo, despite all your efforts to address and manage the economic problems especially the perennial petroleum scarcity, you have unfortunately failed to find a solution. So no need crying now because according to majority of Nigerians, you failed as the nation's Finance and Coordinating Minister.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Enugu Lawmakers Move To Impeach Gov. Chime / Saraki Donates N3m To Victims Of Ilorin Violence, Says Perpetrators Won’t Go Un / Not Today: Baltimore Police Union’s Gofundme Page Gets Shut Down.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.