Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,066 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:44 AM

Can Somebody Translate These Into Ngwa Dialect? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Can Somebody Translate These Into Ngwa Dialect? (1761 Views)

Oyinbo Lady Speaks Nigerian Local Dialect And Cooks Our Dishes Better(video) / NGWA PEOPLE: Are They Really Cannibals? / List Of Hausa Dialect (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can Somebody Translate These Into Ngwa Dialect? by ABUMONYE: 1:58pm On May 05, 2015
I'm very interested in the Ngwa dialect, however I hardly know anything in it.

What is your name?
How are you?
Where are you from?
You are a thief.
Thank you.
You are my good friend.

Daalu nu.
Re: Can Somebody Translate These Into Ngwa Dialect? by obyrich(m): 2:14pm On May 05, 2015
ABUMONYE:
I'm very interested in the Ngwa dialect, however I hardly know anything in it.

What is your name?
How are you?
Where are you from?
You are a thief.
Thank you.
You are my good friend.

Daalu nu.
Let me park
Re: Can Somebody Translate These Into Ngwa Dialect? by ChinenyeN(m): 4:30pm On May 05, 2015
Is there a particular dialect of Ngwa that you want them translated in, or just some form of generalized Ngwa?
Re: Can Somebody Translate These Into Ngwa Dialect? by ABUMONYE: 4:40pm On May 05, 2015
ChinenyeN:
Is there a particular dialect of Ngwa that you want them translated in, or just some form of generalized Ngwa?

I'd like more of a generalized dialect that most Ngwa people could understand.
Re: Can Somebody Translate These Into Ngwa Dialect? by ChinenyeN(m): 4:44pm On May 05, 2015
Alright.

Generalized Ngwa

What is your name?
-- Ndighi ahna ghi?

How are you?
-- Ndighi otu i nu?

Where are you from?
-- Ndighi obe i hie?

You are a thief.
-- I bu onye ohnii.

Thank you.
-- Nmanma/I memala.

You are my good friend.
-- I bu ezi enyi m.

1 Like

Re: Can Somebody Translate These Into Ngwa Dialect? by ABUMONYE: 4:55pm On May 05, 2015
ChinenyeN:
Alright.

Generalized Ngwa

What is your name?
-- Ndighi ahna ghi?

How are you?
-- Ndighi otu i nu?

Where are you from?
-- Ndighi obe i hie?

You are a thief.
-- I bu onye ohnii.

Thank you.
-- Nmanma/I memala.

You are my good friend.
-- I bu ezi enyi m.

Daalu nwanne!

1 Like

Re: Can Somebody Translate These Into Ngwa Dialect? by Nobody: 5:42pm On May 05, 2015
This is perhaps a good place to ask.

Do the Ngwa or the Etche people say 'Ndaa' for 'Kedu', or is it just the Ikwerre?
Re: Can Somebody Translate These Into Ngwa Dialect? by ChinenyeN(m): 6:10pm On May 05, 2015
You will find some communities in Ngwa and Etche that say it, but it's predominantly used by the Ikwere and Ndoki. 'Ndaa' is also attributed to contact with Aro.
Re: Can Somebody Translate These Into Ngwa Dialect? by Nobody: 6:17pm On May 05, 2015
Ah, so its spread is associated with the Aro. Thanks!

How do the other Etche and Ngwa communities say 'Kedu'?
Re: Can Somebody Translate These Into Ngwa Dialect? by ChinenyeN(m): 6:25pm On May 05, 2015
Are you asking about 'Kedu' as a greeting or when used in a sentence to interrogate?
Re: Can Somebody Translate These Into Ngwa Dialect? by Nobody: 6:29pm On May 05, 2015
As a greeting.

I can see from your sentences that 'Ndighi' is probably the form used in asking questions.(Could be wrong.)
Re: Can Somebody Translate These Into Ngwa Dialect? by ChinenyeN(m): 6:39pm On May 05, 2015
Yes, 'Ndighi' would be the general, 'Kedu' equivalent for asking questions. For greetings, it varies from 'Ndighi otu' (Ngwa) to 'Ndighi kwu' (Etche), to 'Olia' and 'Ndaa'. You'll hear all of those.
Re: Can Somebody Translate These Into Ngwa Dialect? by Nobody: 6:54pm On May 05, 2015
Thanks.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Dada: What Have You Heard? / HAUSA: The Only Nigerian Language Set-up By Facebook / Oba Ewuare 2nd, HRM Oba Of Benin Demotes Palace Chief Ayobahan Aka Bob Izua And

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.