Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,804 members, 7,827,955 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 08:04 PM

Origin And History Of Anambra Towns - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Origin And History Of Anambra Towns (71330 Views)

Guess Their Origin And Where Can They Pass? / Ex- Military Governor Of Anambra, Pleads With Igbo Parents To Reduce Bride price / Yoruba Cities, Towns And Villages- What Do Their Names Mean? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Origin And History Of Anambra Towns by Nobody: 2:43pm On May 14, 2015
Pardon me, I wasn't reading closely enough.

I knew much of the towns around that axis have elements of weary and unsuccessful Aro-hired mercenary fighters who (rather than return home in shame) elected to settle down there.

The 16th century dating remains a little off though.

And the Chima title in Abagana which you mentioned is very very intriguing. I wasn't aware of that. Very intriguing.
Re: Origin And History Of Anambra Towns by Lanceslot(m): 4:15pm On Aug 07, 2015
Radoillo:

Tony has already done justice to my people's beginnings. To add more to it would be superfluous.

Although I might add that we are not found in two local governments, as the link claims. Awka Town is only located in Awka South LGA, along with Nibo, Nise, Mbaukwu and Amawbia. Awka North LGA only took their name from us, but Awka Town isn't part of it. Actually sha, non-Awka people from both LGAs often introduce themselves as 'Awka people'.

But I am interested in hearing the story of the Ogbaru communities. No Ogbaru person in the house?
Nwannem what do you wona know about Ogbaru?
Re: Origin And History Of Anambra Towns by Yujin(m): 6:09pm On Aug 07, 2015
Is the history of Umunze not very spectacular. How a supposed slave who turned out to be well caring and disciplined was elevated to a fatherly figure? Such is the character of her people today, so peaceful, loving and welcoming. You will fall in love with the town when you visit it. The Eziagu's are well treated and taking as our people during customary functions but taking as a separate people for political purpose. For instance, an Eziagu man does the same traditional rites as a man from umunze during the traditional marriage ceremony unlike others from another town. Also, from my enquiries I got to find out that we never had any caste system among us. The usual reverence many communities have for certain plants or animals is absent here too. I asked from an elderly woman and she told me we sometime had such but it was stopped after the problems it generated continuously. She said a meeting was called by our Ndichies and other elders and it was publicly rejected by us as a people for the benefit of all. Today we do not reverence any item any more except for some very old people who are still stuck to past like my late grandma who wouldn't allow anyone cook a python's flesh in her pots. Her village within our town forbids the killing of pythons.
I speak well of my place because of the positive steps many of our people took to make her a good place. This is not in any done to spite any other people. I AM PROUD OF UMUNZE.
Re: Origin And History Of Anambra Towns by Yujin(m): 6:11pm On Aug 07, 2015
Is the history of Umunze not very spectacular. How a supposed slave who turned out to be well caring and disciplined was elevated to a fatherly figure? Such is the character of her people today, so peaceful, loving and welcoming. You will fall in love with the town when you visit it. The Eziagu's are well treated and taking as our people during customary functions but taking as a separate people for political purpose. For instance, an Eziagu man does the same traditional rites as a man from umunze during the traditional marriage ceremony unlike others from another town. Also, from my enquiries I got to find out that we never had any caste system among us. The usual reverence many communities have for certain plants or animals is absent here too. I asked from an elderly woman and she told me we sometime had such but it was stopped after the problems it generated continuously. She said a meeting was called by our Ndichies and other elders and it was publicly rejected by us as a people for the benefit of all. Today we do not reverence any item any more except for some very old people who are still stuck to past like my late grandma who wouldn't allow anyone cook a python's flesh in her pots. Her village within our town forbids the killing of pythons.
I speak well of my place because of the positive steps many of our people took to make her a good place. This is not in any done to spite any other people. I AM PROUD OF UMUNZE.
Re: Origin And History Of Anambra Towns by Nobody: 6:29pm On Aug 07, 2015
Lanceslot:
Nwannem what do you wona know about Ogbaru?

Well, I was thinking we could start with the origins of the Ogbaru towns, especially Ossomala and Atani.

1 Like

Re: Origin And History Of Anambra Towns by Ceska(f): 8:39am On Oct 31, 2017

Do you know any details about this link with Awka? I would like to know. We in Awka do not have any traditions of kinship with Awkuzu, but I've always thought there was something intriguing about the name similarity.

Also could you please give me a feel of the Awkuzu dialect by translating the following sentences into Awkuzu dialect:

1. It is true. The thief that stole my money just left here now.
2. No, I won't give you my groundnuts.
3. Where are you going.
4. Come here before you go there.
5. Did you say you won't tell me your name.

I am from Awkuzu, though born and bred in Enugu. Will try to translate as much as I can.

1. Or eziokwu na onye ori avu zuulu egom si nkor pu ya?
2. Kpaa. Mm'e enyero gi opapa'm.
3.kedu ebe ijije?
4. Bia nkor nwa tupu ijeve ebe avu.
5.I si n'iya agwarom ava gi?.

Hope I tried in the translation

2 Likes

Re: Origin And History Of Anambra Towns by Ceska(f): 8:43am On Oct 31, 2017
awkuzu is my hometown. the only ancestial history I got from my father (though not certain) is that Awkuzu ibilibeogada(king of Locust) originated from a woman called Nnamenyi, and that their is a link between awkuzu and awka, that is why our dialect is almost the same. I would like to update this post as soon I get informations.

Am from umunnebo Dusogu Awkuzu. You are from which part bro?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Origin And History Of Anambra Towns by rhelis: 4:29pm On Nov 01, 2017
Quality clothing, foot wears, accessories and basic household item visit https://rhelis.com to BARGAIN NOW. All items #1 to #3k.
We also offer catering services

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Which Village Are You From? Represent Your Village Here / Check Out How Ondo People Are Appeasing The Gods For The Epidemic Disease / Lilo Ewe Ati Egbo Fun Iwosan, Itusile Ati Aseyori

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.