Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,408 members, 7,822,885 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 06:43 PM

FG Says Asaba Airport Not Safe - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / FG Says Asaba Airport Not Safe (20004 Views)

Accident Along Benin-Asaba Expressway In Igbodo, Delta Kills 4 (Graphic Pics) / Photos: Travellers Stranded In Benin/Asaba Express Way Gridlock / 5 States That Are Currently Not Safe To Stay In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Says Asaba Airport Not Safe by Kojochyke(m): 10:41am On May 06, 2015
we dnt kia...we ve oda means of transport,especially now dat baba is comin in for change....people r trekkin, so we dnt kia..if dem lyk dey shuld fix or abandon it.....trekkin has been reactivated n is very healthy...

sai Buhari
sai Osinbajo
sai Kojo.
warri remains d capital of d world.
Re: FG Says Asaba Airport Not Safe by fr3do(m): 10:42am On May 06, 2015
OrlandoOwoh:
I knew it. Usibi Airport, Warri is far better than it. The state government just wasted its money building the Asaba Airport just to have an airport in the state's capital.

Asaba is the capital and deserves a befitting airport, forget about all this warri hype.
Re: FG Says Asaba Airport Not Safe by adeA1(m): 10:42am On May 06, 2015
And stll cravin they wana be managin their affairs themslvs....I knw fel laugh ooooo
Re: FG Says Asaba Airport Not Safe by isaacjohn82(m): 10:42am On May 06, 2015
[quote author=uch4apex post=33461931]FG says Asaba airport not safe

MAY 6, 2015 :

Minister of Aviation, Mr. Osita Chidoka
The Federal Government has said it cannot at the moment guarantee the safety and security of air travellers using the Asaba airport in Delta State.

As a result, the government on Tuesday barred the airport from being used for commercial flight operations.

It said the airport’s safety and security alert was due to the failure of the Delta State Government to fix the key infrastructure at the facility.

It said the state government refused to comply with directives from the Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority mandating it to fix some of the airport’s facilities such as repairs of the undulating runways, perimeter fencing of the facility and other issues.

The Ministry of Aviation, in a statement made available to our correspondent in Abuja, stated, “The Federal Government has downgraded the Asaba airport over the failure of the Delta State Government to put in place measures that will guarantee the safety and security of passengers using the airport.

“With the downgrading, which takes immediate effect, the airport will now be allowed to accommodate the operation of only Dash 8-Q 400 aircraft or its equivalent until all the safety issues are addressed.”

The Dash 8 or Q series aircraft are twin-engine, medium range and turboprop airliners delivered in four series and cannot carry up to 80 persons, hence are not often used for commercial flight operations in Nigeria by the major carriers.

The Federal Government, according to the statement, stated that it had, through the NCAA, raised several safety concerns over undulations on the airport’s runway, lack of the required strip, perimeter fencing, drainage as well as lack of adequately trained technical personnel.

It said several talks with the Delta State Government to fix the airport yielded no concrete result, stressing that the facility was a huge security risk to travellers.

“It has, therefore, become a matter of serious concern that despite a series of meetings with, and assurances given by the operators of the airport, the Delta State Government, no concrete step has been taken to address the issues, which are capable of compromising the safety of flight operations and, of course, the passengers,” the ministry added in the statement.

The ministry said the Federal Government had also drawn the attention of the state government to the fact that it had, through its inability to address the issues, violated the Compliance with Safety Standards as stipulated in the Nig CARs Part 12.6.2 and 12.6.3.

“The violations are in respect of the airport runway and its associated facilities as well as adequately trained personnel,” it added.

Explaining why a decisive action was taken against the operators and owners of the airport, the Minister of Aviation, Osita Chidoka, was quoted as saying, “The downgrading has been carried out in the public interest because the Federal Government places very high premium on the safety and security of air passengers and will never compromise set standards for whatever reason.”

The minister, however, gave an assurance that the airport would revert to its previous status as soon as all the safety concerns were adequate
ly and satisfactorily addressed.

http://www.punchng.com/business/business-economy/fg-says-asaba-airport-not-safe/[/quote
MY FAAN APPOINTMENT LETTERS . MINISTER YOU HAVE NOT SAID ANY THING ? PLS GIVE US ASSURANCE ND HOPE.
Re: FG Says Asaba Airport Not Safe by adconline(m): 10:43am On May 06, 2015
ogb5:

Was it the governor that was the contractor that built the airport.
Or was the governor the consultant that certified the job ok for the contractor to be paid?

Nigeria Society of Engineers, COREN and SON need to sit up and penalise people who do shaddy engineering jobs in the country.
Arrogant display of Idiocy on FUll HD! The governor awarded over-inflated contract to his crony-ULO construction Ltd to do the worst job. My evening flight was cancelled a couple of months ago because of no runway lighting.
Re: FG Says Asaba Airport Not Safe by isaacjohn82(m): 10:44am On May 06, 2015
[quote author=uch4apex post=33461931]FG says Asaba airport not safe

MAY 6, 2015 :

Minister of Aviation, Mr. Osita Chidoka
The Federal Government has said it cannot at the moment guarantee the safety and security of air travellers using the Asaba airport in Delta State.

As a result, the government on Tuesday barred the airport from being used for commercial flight operations.

It said the airport’s safety and security alert was due to the failure of the Delta State Government to fix the key infrastructure at the facility.

It said the state government refused to comply with directives from the Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority mandating it to fix some of the airport’s facilities such as repairs of the undulating runways, perimeter fencing of the facility and other issues.

The Ministry of Aviation, in a statement made available to our correspondent in Abuja, stated, “The Federal Government has downgraded the Asaba airport over the failure of the Delta State Government to put in place measures that will guarantee the safety and security of passengers using the airport.

“With the downgrading, which takes immediate effect, the airport will now be allowed to accommodate the operation of only Dash 8-Q 400 aircraft or its equivalent until all the safety issues are addressed.”

The Dash 8 or Q series aircraft are twin-engine, medium range and turboprop airliners delivered in four series and cannot carry up to 80 persons, hence are not often used for commercial flight operations in Nigeria by the major carriers.

The Federal Government, according to the statement, stated that it had, through the NCAA, raised several safety concerns over undulations on the airport’s runway, lack of the required strip, perimeter fencing, drainage as well as lack of adequately trained technical personnel.

It said several talks with the Delta State Government to fix the airport yielded no concrete result, stressing that the facility was a huge security risk to travellers.

“It has, therefore, become a matter of serious concern that despite a series of meetings with, and assurances given by the operators of the airport, the Delta State Government, no concrete step has been taken to address the issues, which are capable of compromising the safety of flight operations and, of course, the passengers,” the ministry added in the statement.

The ministry said the Federal Government had also drawn the attention of the state government to the fact that it had, through its inability to address the issues, violated the Compliance with Safety Standards as stipulated in the Nig CARs Part 12.6.2 and 12.6.3.

“The violations are in respect of the airport runway and its associated facilities as well as adequately trained personnel,” it added.

Explaining why a decisive action was taken against the operators and owners of the airport, the Minister of Aviation, Osita Chidoka, was quoted as saying, “The downgrading has been carried out in the public interest because the Federal Government places very high premium on the safety and security of air passengers and will never compromise set standards for whatever reason.”

The minister, however, gave an assurance that the airport would revert to its previous status as soon as all the safety concerns were adequate
ly and satisfactorily addressed.

http://www.punchng.com/business/business-economy/fg-says-asaba-airport-not-safe/[/quote
MY / OUR FAAN APPOINTMENT LETTER(S). MINISTER SIR, YOU HAVE NOT SAID ANY THING ? PLS GIVE US ASSURANCE ND HOPE.
Re: FG Says Asaba Airport Not Safe by laboguashi(m): 11:05am On May 06, 2015
MKO4ever:

Same governor that won the silverbird man of the year award??

If you can remember, this airport was opened/ commissioned with a lot of fan fare some years back. Fast forward to 2015, it's declared unsafe.

This country has a very long way to go.

1 Like

Re: FG Says Asaba Airport Not Safe by chuka5000(m): 11:06am On May 06, 2015
BuddahMonk:
They prolly want to use the opportunity to swell the business outlook of the Warri Airport.

Theyre mad. They should go and see yola airport.
Re: FG Says Asaba Airport Not Safe by Nobody: 11:21am On May 06, 2015
mtchew..... MEANWHILE april alawee never enter
Re: FG Says Asaba Airport Not Safe by OrlandoOwoh(m): 12:00pm On May 06, 2015
fr3do:

Asaba is the capital and deserves a befitting airport, forget about all this warri hype.
If you're to build a private airport owned by you, where, between Asaba and Warri, would you site it? Where do yo think the nationals engaged in oil business land, Asaba or Warri? Warri has more facilities like standard hotels, malls, etc that travellers can easily check in.
Re: FG Says Asaba Airport Not Safe by cecegorz(m): 1:44pm On May 06, 2015
Interestingly, I'm supposed to hit Asaba tomorrow. I checked both Arik and Aero sites, they all have scheduled flights to Asaba.

Why will they want to be flying there still, If NCAA has warned that it's unsafe to land there, or is it that they have no EMPIRICAL EVIDENCE yet?
Now, Do I book or reroute

I think I will have to reroute for my own safety.
Re: FG Says Asaba Airport Not Safe by lozanni(m): 2:01pm On May 06, 2015
ayusco85:

hw can u use TARMAC,TAxi and Pilot all in one sentence?

The Tarmac is the Air-strip the plane taxis on, in order to gain momentum, before take-off by the Pilot.
When a plane is landing too, it must first come down on the Tarmac, taxi awhile, before its safely brought to a halt by the Pilot.
Re: FG Says Asaba Airport Not Safe by ayusco85(m): 2:32pm On May 06, 2015
lozanni:

The Tarmac is the Air-strip the plane taxis on, in order to gain momentum, before take-off by the Pilot.
When a plane is landing too, it must first come down on the Tarmac, taxi awhile, before its safely brought to a halt by the Pilot.

the Taxi u used confused me alittle. i get u nw
Re: FG Says Asaba Airport Not Safe by isreal012(m): 2:53pm On May 06, 2015
[color=#000099][/color] The Mr. "Silverbird Man of the Year" should have something meaningful to say concerning this I believe.
What happen to the huge amount of money voted to the state? Them don use the money for infrastructure do campaign finish. dan boro ba
Re: FG Says Asaba Airport Not Safe by Nobody: 4:43pm On May 06, 2015
lozanni:

Thanks for coming to my rescue.
Re: FG Says Asaba Airport Not Safe by Nobody: 4:44pm On May 06, 2015
ayusco85:

hw can u use TARMAC,TAxi and Pilot all in one sentence?

I don't need to flog a dead horse. Justice has been done to my unambiguous line.
Re: FG Says Asaba Airport Not Safe by lozanni(m): 6:08pm On May 06, 2015
sunnyshayne:

Thanks for coming to my rescue.
You are welcome, my brother.
Re: FG Says Asaba Airport Not Safe by mike404(m): 6:10pm On May 06, 2015
kennygee:

I'm not a northerner.
I'm from the middle belt.
grin
ALL JOIN
Re: FG Says Asaba Airport Not Safe by tracyorez(f): 7:56pm On May 06, 2015
sunnyshayne:
I remember while taxing out of that airport the pilot advised that's it's going to be bumpy due to the rough tarmac. True to his word the taxi was bumpy!

Despite the huge allocation the state gets!
You are a very big liar.You have never flown from asaba to any part of the country.Passed through that airport when I was in Nigeria last month and ihave been through that route many times cos I have a family there.
If you don't know about some place,you shut the hell up instead of lieing to impress God knows who.

1 Like

Re: FG Says Asaba Airport Not Safe by Nobody: 8:08pm On May 06, 2015
tracyorez:

You are a very big liar.You have never flown from asaba to any part of the country.Passed through that airport when I was in Nigeria last month.
If you don't know about some place,you shut the hell up instead of lieing to impress God knows who.

Please tell me what is your issue let's address it squarely. Frustration is not good please.
Re: FG Says Asaba Airport Not Safe by tracyorez(f): 8:20pm On May 06, 2015
sunnyshayne:

Please tell me what is your issue let's address it squarely. Frustration is not good please.
You must be really shameless to quote me.there is nothing like bumpy when a plan is trying to taxi at asaba airport.Thesame feel you get at MMA 2 is what you get.The fact that it is not tild does not make it unsmooth.
One more thing.The pilot does not adress the cabin until the plane is in the air.You only hear from the cabin crew AND AN AIR HOST OR HOSTESS IS NOT IN ANY POSITION TO TELL YOU IF THE TAXI WILL BE BUMPY OR NOT,EXCEPT THE PILOT hun!
LIAR.
Talking about frustation.You are the one frustrated because if you are not,you won't have to lie about flying in an airplane when you havnt.
Be real hun!

1 Like

Re: FG Says Asaba Airport Not Safe by Nobody: 8:24pm On May 06, 2015
tracyorez:

You must be really shameless to quote me.there is nothing like bumpy when a plan is trying to taxi at asaba airport.Thesame feel you get at MMA 2 is what you get.The fact that it is not tild does not make it unsmooth.
One more thing.The pilot does not adress the cabin until the plane is in the air.You only hear from the cabin crew AND AN AIR HOST OR HOSTESS IS NOT IN ANYBODY TO TELL YOU IF THE TAXI WILL BE BUMPY hun!

Kindly stay away from drugs, it's effect is becoming public.
Re: FG Says Asaba Airport Not Safe by tracyorez(f): 8:29pm On May 06, 2015
sunnyshayne:

Kindly stay away from drugs, it's effect is becoming public.
You know I have shamed you.Don't lie on a public forum next time because you don't know who might be reading your post.
Cheers hun!

1 Like

Re: FG Says Asaba Airport Not Safe by Nobody: 8:43pm On May 06, 2015
tracyorez:

You know I have shamed you.Don't lie on a public forum next time because you don't know who might be reading your post.
Cheers hun!

What's soo special about flying? If I have my way, what on earth will even make me fly through Asaba where propeller planes are dominant? For the sake of record let me educate you that Owerri, Enugu, Benin or Port Harcourt are the best options for anyone going East. Asaba is just a second thought. If Asaba was this good, why is FG downgrading it? Asaba airport will close shop the day Anambra state opens one.

If anybody sent you to me tell her/her that you did not see me.
Re: FG Says Asaba Airport Not Safe by tracyorez(f): 8:51pm On May 06, 2015
sunnyshayne:

What's soo special about flying? If I have my way, what on earth will even make me fly through Asaba where propeller planes are dominant? For the sake of record let me educate you that Owerri, Enugu, Benin or Port Harcourt are the best options for anyone going East. Asaba is just a second thought. If Asaba was this good, why is FG downgrading it? Asaba airport will close shop the day Anambra state opens one.

If anybody sent you to me tell her/her that you did not see me.
You have just proven that you lied initially.You only wrote your comment because you read FG was downgrading it.
Next time, don't write what you are not sure of or write based on instinct.
That its been downgraded dosnt mean you can just write what you don't know.
Cheers hun!
Enough already.
And for the records,I have been through the four routes,you mentioned.

1 Like

Re: FG Says Asaba Airport Not Safe by Nobody: 8:54pm On May 06, 2015
tracyorez:

You have just proven that you lied initially.You only wrote your comment because you read FG was downgrading it.
Next time, don't write what you are not sure of or write based on instinct.
That its been downgraded dosnt mean you can just write what you don't know.
Cheers hun!
Enough already.

Please take my advice seriously and stay away from drugs, your line of argument is baseless and incoherent.
Re: FG Says Asaba Airport Not Safe by tracyorez(f): 8:58pm On May 06, 2015
sunnyshayne:

Please take my advice seriously and stay away from drugs, your line of argument is baseless and incoherent.
Did you just say baseless and incoherent? Please,look up those words again in the dictionary.I just pity you.Instead of looking for a way to better your life,you are busy lieing on a public forum and you are not even ashamed of it.
I feel sorry for your future.

1 Like

Re: FG Says Asaba Airport Not Safe by amjustade(m): 8:48am On May 07, 2015
Appointment Letter !!!!
LIST OF SELECTED CANDITATES
faan has finally selected for candidates go to there site to check if ur name is be selected for the FINAL SELECTION LIST of faan
if ur name is'nt there they are till uploading the name.
source

MORE INFORMATION ON THE SELECTION

Candidates meeting any of the following criteria are disqualified despite their total score:

Candidates who are over the age limit.
Candidates who have highest educational qualification that is higher or lower than that established for the position.
Candidates whose course of study does not match the required course of study as advertiseA candidate’s Total Score is derived from the weighting of his/her scores of Aptitude Test, Physical Fitness Test, Oral Interview, Height, Age, Educational Qualification, and Experience as detailed in the requirements for the various jobs. In addition, each candidate’s credentials were reviewed.
The Selection is impacted by the Federal Character Spread of the current Nominal Roll in FAAN

The final selection takes into account the current staff distribution in the nominal roll. Please note that there is no selection from Kogi State. This is in compliance with Federal Character Commission regulations to address over-representation of Kogi indigenes in the current FAAN Nominal Roll as shown in the Nominal Roll analysis available.
Some States' quota are yet to be filled. This will be addressed in the 2nd stage of the recruitment process. The strategy for recruiting the remaining positions to make up for the shortfall in qualified candidates for the States that are yet to make up their quota is as follows:
Compilation of a supplementary list of applicants from the hardcopy applications submitted at the Human Resources offices/Liaison office in February and March 2015.
This pool of applicants will be contacted for tests/interviews soon.
The process will be guided by the FCC spread contained in Federal Character Spread Analysis.
ALL SELECTED CANDIDATES WILL BE NOTIFIED OF THE DATES TO PRESENT THEMSELVES FOR DOCUMENTATION AND FURTHER PROCESSING AT THE HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT, FAAN HEADQUARTER’S LAGOS THROUGH PUBLICATION IN THE NATIONAL NEWSPAPERS AND ON THE WEBSITE.

Thank You

Manager, FAAN Recruitment
Re: FG Says Asaba Airport Not Safe by amjustade(m): 8:50am On May 07, 2015
MORE INFORMATION ON THE SELECTION

Candidates meeting any of the following criteria are disqualified despite their total score:

Candidates who are over the age limit.
Candidates who have highest educational qualification that is higher or lower than that established for the position.
Candidates whose course of study does not match the required course of study as advertiseA candidate’s Total Score is derived from the weighting of his/her scores of Aptitude Test, Physical Fitness Test, Oral Interview, Height, Age, Educational Qualification, and Experience as detailed in the requirements for the various jobs. In addition, each candidate’s credentials were reviewed.
The Selection is impacted by the Federal Character Spread of the current Nominal Roll in FAAN

The final selection takes into account the current staff distribution in the nominal roll. Please note that there is no selection from Kogi State. This is in compliance with Federal Character Commission regulations to address over-representation of Kogi indigenes in the current FAAN Nominal Roll as shown in the Nominal Roll analysis available.
Some States' quota are yet to be filled. This will be addressed in the 2nd stage of the recruitment process. The strategy for recruiting the remaining positions to make up for the shortfall in qualified candidates for the States that are yet to make up their quota is as follows:
Compilation of a supplementary list of applicants from the hardcopy applications submitted at the Human Resources offices/Liaison office in February and March 2015.
This pool of applicants will be contacted for tests/interviews soon.
The process will be guided by the FCC spread contained in Federal Character Spread Analysis.
ALL SELECTED CANDIDATES WILL BE NOTIFIED OF THE DATES TO PRESENT THEMSELVES FOR DOCUMENTATION AND FURTHER PROCESSING AT THE HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT, FAAN HEADQUARTER’S LAGOS THROUGH PUBLICATION IN THE NATIONAL NEWSPAPERS AND ON THE WEBSITE.

Thank You

Manager, FAAN Recruitment
Re: FG Says Asaba Airport Not Safe by Nobody: 7:10pm On May 10, 2015
kennygee:

Kogi.
sad

Igala, Yoruba, Igbira
Re: FG Says Asaba Airport Not Safe by Nobody: 8:17am On May 11, 2015
oasislomo:

Igala, Yoruba, Igbira
Yoruba.
Re: FG Says Asaba Airport Not Safe by Nobody: 5:40pm On May 12, 2015
kennygee:

Yoruba.
I go like know you o. wink

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

NDU Dean Burnt To Death In Auto Crash In Bayelsa (Photo) / COVID-19: Onyeama Says Evacuation Of Nigerians Abroad Starts Next Week / Accident Simulation Causes Scare In Niger State. See What Happened

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.