Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,754 members, 7,813,490 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:57 PM

5 Facts You Should Know About The Efik People - Culture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / 5 Facts You Should Know About The Efik People (55088 Views)

Efik/ibibio Names And Their Meaning / Names Of Animal In Efik/ibibio / The Fattening Rooms Of The Efik (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Facts You Should Know About The Efik People by ibibiogrl: 11:54pm On Mar 25, 2020
@nsiba and Blackking98
Again I signed on to this forum to educate because people like you were causing my ancestors to be INSULTED!.
MORE E.G:-
They are more or less the same. Little difference between both groups."

"There are not the same at all although they have similar names,dish and language but within these,there are differences.in character,efiks are gentle,proud and almost lazy while ibibios are strong,rugged and violent.efiks are fewer and base in cross river while ibibios are more numerous and purely in akwa ibom.efiks are better cooks.nowadays ibibios are copying almost all aspects of efik lifestyle thereby making it hard to differentiate.Let me also add that ibibio girls love sex madly and are promiscuous. "

"I don't agree entirely with ur points:
Efik girls goes gaga for sex &promiscuous too.
Similarity in language? Yes. Both languages are spoken & understood by all of AKS, Infact some part of Akwa Ibom state speaks Efik with The same mode of dressing too.
As for character, you are right, Efik person is always a proud person probably due to rich history,cultural heritage &early contacts with whites. They select the kind of job they do, less-stressful jobs, no time for dirty jobs, an average white-collar job is OK, &he's Contented with that. Then enough time to relax &hangout with friends. #enjoyment
As for the Ibibios they're the hustling type, go-getters,anything goes as long as its legit, they learn From the Igbo brothers, academically incline, infact the entire AKS are eduationally Advance state &their indigenes are found In some professional career scenes.
Both are good cooks.
Ini Edo's dressing is a complete Efik Traditional attire not ibibio.(mistake from OP) Though some efik-speaking part of AKS also adopts This dressing too."

"Ikpa,that sex side no tally.i was born in calabar and i have dealt with both efik girls and akwa ibom girls.most people confuse akwa ibom girls for efik girls and now claim that its efik girls that love it which is not so.an average efik girls libido is average. efiks are very few in numbet by the way and is not everyday one comes across them like akwa ibom girls.many of my friends outside cross river even claim their efik girlfriends called ekaette or idara or mfonobong when efik girls rarely bear that name.
The only girls i know in cross river that love sex are the yakurr girls but the oron girls beat them to that. If you are in cross river,we can even carry out a research in this."

"There are not the same at all although they have similar names,dish and language but within these,there are differences.in character,efiks are gentle,proud and almost lazy while
ibibios are strong,rugged and violent.efiks are fewer and base in cross river while ibibios are more numerous and purely in akwa ibom.efiks are better cooks.nowadays ibibios are copying almost all aspects of efik lifestyle thereby making it hard to differentiate.Let me also add that ibibio girls love sex madly and are promiscuous. "
MY RESPONSE;-Enough with the Insults! angry These differences has already been discussed & explained in a previous threads years ago. Also Ini Edo was acting a movie that's why she's dress like that undecided U can google her traditional wedding & U will see she was dressed completely in Ibibio attire. No Ibibio is copying Efik, we're Very Proud of our traditions and customs. Even the Uruan Ibibios related to Efiks majority aren't wearing Efik gowns anymore, but dressing in Ibibio attire for their traditional marriage. If you see any Akwa Ibomite dress in Efik traditional outfit, it's probably [b]Oron
, who share the same traditions with Efik, they're also the only ones speaking Efik in AKS because they cannot speak Ibibio & Efik is their 2nd Language.
Re: 5 Facts You Should Know About The Efik People by AtaniWarrior: 11:59pm On Mar 25, 2020
ibibiogrl:

Sorry the dumb people that have been posting lately in this thread distracted me angry

Ibibios are the oldest inhabitants of their location and so I don't believe the migrated from Usak Edet in Cameroon. https://searchworks.stanford.edu/view/1687277
https://www.jstor.org/stable/485085?seq=1

Also I don't believe that the ancestors of Efik came from Arochukwu or Uruan groups, I believe that most of them stayed in Adadia a village in Uruan, after migrating from or through Cameroon. Because the Oron group never lived in Uruan or Arochukwu, but yet they have the same cultures and traditions as Efik. Although most Orons do regard Uruan as their relatives just because of that Efik connection. Then you have the Ejaghams who's other half are still in Cameroon, yet they still share most cultures and traditions with Efik.

So how did Efik get these cultures and traditions if they were originally from Arochukwu or Uruan

lol all is well. You make good points. The Ibibio are likely the oldest people in their current location. Perhaps the Proto Ibibio speakers migrated to their current location from present day Southern Cameroon thousands of years ago just like how the Proto Igbo speakers may have migrated to their current location from the Niger Benue Confluence thousands of years ago.

True. The Uruan, Efik, Oron, etc have common origin. The Ibibios of Arochukwu and Efiks have a relationship as well. Based on Efik accounts, at least some of the ancestors of the Efik people lived in the Arochukwu area before moving to their current location. A lot of migrations took place back then.

When the Efiks migrated to the Calabar area, they mixed with the Ejagham/Qua, Efut, etc significantly. A lot of cultural exchange. For example, the Efik adopted Nsibidi (And maybe Ekpe?) from the Ejagham. After some time, it seems like the Efiks (Oron and Uruan as well) had a lot of contact with other groups and eventually developed distinct cultural practices from their Ibibio relatives.
Re: 5 Facts You Should Know About The Efik People by ibibiogrl: 7:37am On Mar 27, 2020
AtaniWarrior:

lol all is well. You make good points. The Ibibio are likely the oldest people in their current location. Perhaps the Proto Ibibio speakers migrated to their current location from present day Southern Cameroon thousands of years ago just like how the Proto Igbo speakers may have migrated to their current location from the Niger Benue Confluence thousands of years ago.

True. The Uruan, Efik, Oron, etc have common origin. The Ibibios of Arochukwu and Efiks have a relationship as well. Based on Efik accounts, at least some of the ancestors of the Efik people lived in the Arochukwu area before moving to their current location. A lot of migrations took place back then.

When the Efiks migrated to the Calabar area, they mixed with the Ejagham/Qua, Efut, etc significantly. A lot of cultural exchange. For example, the Efik adopted Nsibidi (And maybe Ekpe?) from the Ejagham. After some time, it seems like the Efiks (Oron and Uruan as well) had a lot of contact with other groups and eventually developed distinct cultural practices from their Ibibio relatives.
Seems you still believe that Efik migrated from Uruan & Arochukwu. Uruan are ibibio s they speak ibibio and practice all of ibibios tradition. Uruan LGA is even close to mine Uyo capital of AKS. Only thing that makes Uruan unique is that some still practice the traditions that they adopted from Efik. Infact since the creation of AKS most are back to being just normal Ibibios. Therefore Uruans have the same origins as the rest of the Ibibios.
Maybe Efik have exchanged cultures with Ejaghams like nsibidi. But there are many other unique traditions of Efik. Am being blocked daily by Spambot here recently. So you might want to go back to Read the thread about the differences of the groups, because I mentioned quite a few like their marine God/Goddess AtimOkpoEbot shocked
Re: 5 Facts You Should Know About The Efik People by nsiba: 8:32pm On Mar 29, 2020
AtaniWarrior:

Uruans are core Ibibios who kicked out some disgruntled elements among em called the ibokus, they went over the other side of the river selling prawns while the Efuts and quas maintained the core land.
Oku Ibokus just that borders Uruan are some elements
Fortunately for them they encounterd merchants dealers from Europe who made them feel their black asses is any different
from them
https://archive.org/details/twoprincesofcala00spar/page/142/mode/2up

This is a nice book to read it too will deepen ur knowledge
Re: 5 Facts You Should Know About The Efik People by AtaniWarrior: 2:07am On Apr 02, 2020
ibibiogrl:

Seems you still believe that Efik migrated from Uruan & Arochukwu. Uruan are ibibio s they speak ibibio and practice all of ibibios tradition. Uruan LGA is even close to mine Uyo capital of AKS. Only thing that makes Uruan unique is that some still practice the traditions that they adopted from Efik. Infact since the creation of AKS most are back to being just normal Ibibios. Therefore Uruans have the same origins of the rest of the Ibibios.
Maybe Efik have exchanged cultures with Ejaghams like ndibidi. But there are many other unique traditions of Efik. Am being blocked daily by Spambot here recently. So you might want to go back to Read the thread about the differences of the groups, because I mentioned quite a few like their marine God/Goddess AtimOkpoEbot shocked

lol that was a hectic thread.

nsiba:

Uruans are core Ibibios who kicked out some disgruntled elements among em called the ibokus, they went over the other side of the river selling prawns while the Efuts and quas maintained the core land.
Oku Ibokus just that borders Uruan are some elements
Fortunately for them they encounterd merchants dealers from Europe who made them feel their black asses is any different
from them
https://archive.org/details/twoprincesofcala00spar/page/142/mode/2up

This is a nice book to read it too will deepen ur knowledge

Cool. I will definitely review.
Re: 5 Facts You Should Know About The Efik People by Ndipe(m): 12:02am On Jun 27, 2021
Very interesting to know one's roots.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Dangote, Ooni Ogunwusi, Oyegun At Oba Of Benin's Coronation / The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State / The Wodaabe People

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.