Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,756 members, 7,809,911 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:05 PM

The Wodaabe People - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Wodaabe People (55126 Views)

The Wodaabe Fulani In Africa, Where Women Can Marry As Many Husbands (Photos) / See The Fulani Wodaabe And Tuareg Kel-tamasheq Getting Along In Dance And Drum / Wodaabe Tribe & Fulani Tribe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Wodaabe People by Nobody: 2:40pm On Aug 14, 2012
(Odumchi i am redoing this thread due to derailment and will repost the pertinent posts on here. Please don't delete or lock the other one until I am done thanks!) kiss kiss

This is my tribute to one of the most ancient and intriguing tribes in all of Africa. smiley

I will post pictures, footage and facts (from wiki) of a Fulani clan known as the Wodaabe, which I
have a well known fascination for. kiss

2 Likes

Re: The Wodaabe People by Nobody: 2:42pm On Aug 14, 2012
The Wodaabe are a nomadic people who belong to the Fulani ethnic group found in the Sahel region of West Africa and
are found as far as Central African republic.

A Woodabe clan preparing to leave camp:

Sahel Map.
[img]http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/news/2005/sahel/sahel_map.gif[/img]

Though the entire Fulani ethnic group at large is found in just about all West African nations,
The Wodaabe are predominantly found in the following countries:

Niger
Cameroon
Central African Republic
Nigeria
Re: The Wodaabe People by Nobody: 2:43pm On Aug 14, 2012
According to Wikipedia:

The Wodaabe speak the Fula language and don't use a written language.[3] In the Fula language, woɗa means "taboo", and Woɗaaɓe means "people of the taboo"...

This is sometimes translated as "those who respect taboos", a reference to the Wodaabe isolation from broader Fulbe culture, and their contention that they retain "older" traditions than their Fulbe neighbors.

In contrast, other Fulbe as well as other ethnic groups sometimes refer to the Wodaabe as "Bororo", a sometimes pejorative name, translated into English as "Cattle Fulani", and meaning "those who dwell in cattle camps".
Re: The Wodaabe People by Nobody: 2:43pm On Aug 14, 2012
Woodabe in pictures:

Re: The Wodaabe People by Nobody: 2:44pm On Aug 14, 2012
[size=18pt]Everyday life[/size]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wodaabe#Everyday_life

The Wodaabe keep herds of long-horned Zebu cattle. The dry season extends from October to May. Their annual travel during the wet season follows the rain from the south to the north. Groups of several dozen relatives, typically several brothers with their wives, children and elders, travel on foot, donkey or camel, and stay at each grazing spot for a couple of days. A large wooden bed is the most important possession of each family; when camping it is surrounded by some screens. The women also carry calabashes as a status symbol. These calabashes are passed down through the generations, and often provoke rivalry between women. The Wodaabe mostly live on milk and ground millet, as well as yogurt, sweet tea and occasionally the meat of a goat or sheep. This is a rarity for them as they don't often have enough animals to spare for meat.
Re: The Wodaabe People by Nobody: 2:45pm On Aug 14, 2012
The Wodaabe are Islamic and among some of the first West Africans to follow the religion. smiley

Re: The Wodaabe People by Nobody: 2:45pm On Aug 14, 2012
Wodaabe and Islam:

Although there are varying degrees of orthodoxy exhibited, most adhere to at least some of the basic requirements of the religion.[12] Islam became a religion of importance among Wodaabe peoples during the 16th century when the scholar al-Maghili preached the teachings of Muhammad to the elite of northern Nigeria. Al-Maghili was responsible for converting the ruling classes among Hausa, Fulani, and Tuareg peoples in the region.

Re: The Wodaabe People by Nobody: 2:46pm On Aug 14, 2012
[size=18pt]Interesting Wodaabe facts:[/size]

The Wodaabe code of behavior consists of:

- reserve and modesty (semteende)
- patience and fortitude (munyal)
- care and forethought (hakkilo)
- and loyalty (amana)

[size=18pt]Values:[/size]
Islam
Culture
beauty and charm

TRIVIA:
Parents are not allowed to talk directly to their *two first born children, who will often be cared for by their grandparents.

During daylight, husband and wife cannot hold hands or speak in a personal manner with each other.

* I thought it was first born.
Re: The Wodaabe People by Nobody: 2:47pm On Aug 14, 2012

[size=18pt]Marriage and s3xuality[/size]

The Woodabe a "sexually liberal" as unmarried men and women have the right to "fornicate" (one reason they are known as the Taboo People among their Fulani relatives.)

They are a polygamous group.

The first marriage is typically arranged among members of the same lineage by parents when the couple are infants (called koogal); later additional "love marriages" (teegal) are also possible, when a woman leaves her husband and joins another one. (Another form of Taboo for other Fulani groups)

A bride stays with her husband until she becomes pregnant after which she returns to her mother's home where she will remain for the next three to four years.

She will deliver the baby at her mother's home and then she becomes a boofeydo, which literally means "someone who has committed an error." While she is boofeydo, she is not allowed to have any contact with her husband, and he is not allowed to express any interest in either her or the child.

After two to three years, she is permitted to visit her husband, but it is still taboo that she should live with him or bring the child with her; this only becomes permissible when her mother has managed to purchase all the items that are necessary for her home.

Video on "Bride Stealing" (ex. of teegal).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsRR0bTixLU
Re: The Wodaabe People by Nobody: 2:48pm On Aug 14, 2012
[size=18pt]Beauty and Gerewol festival[/size]

At the end of the rainy season in September, Wodaabe clans gather in several traditional locations before the beginning of their dry season..Young Wodaabe men, with elaborate make-up, feathers and other adornments, perform the Yaake: dances and songs to impress marriageable women.

The male beauty ideal of the Wodaabe stresses tallness, white eyes and teeth; the men will often roll their eyes and show their teeth to emphasize these characteristics. Wodaabe clans then join for the remainder of the week-long Gerewol: a series of barters over marriage and contests where the young men's beauty and skills are judged by young women.
Re: The Wodaabe People by Nobody: 2:49pm On Aug 14, 2012
Pictures of Wodaabe men preparing for Gerewol festivals:

(Woodabe men applying their make up)

[img]http://4.bp..com/_ZZ-IV1fd3wQ/SPh0QNnxtBI/AAAAAAAAAEE/5SD25r1rVQk/s400/DSC00354.JPG[/img]

Re: The Wodaabe People by Nobody: 2:52pm On Aug 14, 2012
Random Wodaabe Love: kiss grin

JallowBah: I love how they picture beauty..smiley Amazing.

I have always had a special love for tuareg/fulani/futanka/wodaabe. They just attract me with the clothes, the jewelry, the tattoos..damn.

[size=18pt]Wodaabe woman:[/size] (Courtesy of TerryCarr)

Re: The Wodaabe People by Nobody: 2:55pm On Aug 14, 2012
Re: The Wodaabe People by Nobody: 2:56pm On Aug 14, 2012
Mrs.Chima:
Professor Ms. Darkskin...

Can I sharpen my pencil? One question before I do.....you mean to tell me the wife STAYS AWAY FROM HER HUSBAND and no sex for four years?!!!!

And Chima complains about TWO HOURS! HMMPH! angry angry angry angry angry

Carry on. grin grin grin grin

Yes. Typically three to four years while raising her child and preparing to reunite with her husband.
Re: The Wodaabe People by Nobody: 3:02pm On Aug 14, 2012
shymmex: These people are overrated because they have got European features..

I prefer big nose and big lips.. grin

This is a common misconception these people have to face.
This type of comment unfortunately comes from fellow Africans due to Eurocentric views.
The interesting thing is the origin of the Wodaabe people, culture and their feature are all indeed native to Africa.

Their features vary as you will see...

Wodaabe.

[img]http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSL6rR7naawQY4kYLkSo6gjCaiU6J9MspzzBlp4Ul8XieU-daPNMEhNM9Yw[/img]

Re: The Wodaabe People by Nobody: 3:04pm On Aug 14, 2012
They are an ancient ppl with different features.
But are still African all the same.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/766996_wodaabeAFRICAN_jpgac7fc88b9e2f819ab9decd0c09aeffbf

I will return to the subject of their origin later on. smiley
Re: The Wodaabe People by Nobody: 3:07pm On Aug 14, 2012
Random: kiss

MagnumPI: You know what I love about them, they are proud of their culture.

They call themselves the most beautiful people on earth.

During the gerewol, married woman and unmarried women can pick a man to have sex with for the night or pick husband.

I definitely agree. I love their pride and confidence as a people. Its also interesting when one looks at how they literally served as a historical bridge/connection between west and east africa via the sahel...and today in terms of past and present.

Getting back to what you said...although I find them fascinating in just about every way...i am not sure how I feel about the "partner swinging" element. But then again they claim the idea is to widen the gene pool and perhaps increase in population so....more power to them I suppose.
Re: The Wodaabe People by Nobody: 3:10pm On Aug 14, 2012
interaction:

^shes a tourist. smiley
Re: The Wodaabe People by Nobody: 3:13pm On Aug 14, 2012
Opinions the face paint:

onila: I hate those paintings on their face tongue

Oddly enough, though I find it fascinating I kind of feel the same.
I think it takes away from their features although the point is the bring them out.

JallowBah: I love the paintings on their face. Both men and women.

The men do their painting to show their beauty for the women.
The women do the tattoos/henna to show wich tribe they belong to before, if I remember correctly. Some parts of the woodabe/hausa/fulani etc only do chin/mouth, some do forehead, some do the side of the eyes etc.

Interesting. smiley
Re: The Wodaabe People by Nobody: 3:15pm On Aug 14, 2012
More videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJFbFkuQaeI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dm1tN3SmDWs

from the comments:

i think they are litrally the most beautiful people in the world. just goes to show how distorted the western idea of beauty is

i concur. smiley
Re: The Wodaabe People by Nobody: 3:17pm On Aug 14, 2012
RANDOM comment:

amor4ce: It has been noted in some studies that the Fulani are offspring of Put/Pul, one of the 4 sons of Ham. The relative paucity of information on the origin and history of these people seems to confirm the theory - just as the Biblical people of Pul were not recorded as kingdom builders but reputed as warriors, the Fulani are associated with the same disposition, except for the recent Uthman Dan Fodio jihad. They have a history of fighting with the armies of other nations and hence southern Nigerians who have foolishly abandoned their ways for [b]Hell[/b]enist culture should not look down on them. They don't shy away from battles.

Peul > Pul
Ful(a) > Phul > Peul
Phut > Put > Pul

Interesting...again, I will touch on origin later. smiley
Re: The Wodaabe People by Nobody: 3:19pm On Aug 14, 2012
Re: The Wodaabe People by Nobody: 3:22pm On Aug 14, 2012
i want this as a painting...

i want to put this up on my wall.

sooo epic. smiley

[img]http://1.bp..com/_cB2LXaxIvD4/SY-oCnMFY4I/AAAAAAAAEWc/geqymj2cx9E/s400/wodaabe1.gif[/img]

I will post Wodaabe art later on. smiley
Re: The Wodaabe People by sambos994(m): 3:31pm On Aug 14, 2012
No...must...resist...women!!!!!!!!
Re: The Wodaabe People by Nobody: 3:32pm On Aug 14, 2012
Random pictures:

Nomad girl attending a Yakey...(??)

Re: The Wodaabe People by Nobody: 3:33pm On Aug 14, 2012
*in ref. to dark color painted on lips and the face paintings...

JallowBah:

To show their features in the best way smiley

And yes, some of the lines can show wich country you come from. The three I got for example, shows that my husbands family go back to Guinea.

Fulaman198:

The face markings are supposed to bring out the whiteness of eyes and teeth, by painting your face yellow during Worso which is what the official dance is called, you can differentiate the whites of the teeth and eyes from the yellow. It shows a healthy man.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/772828_anotherfinewodaabe_jpgb8ade146dab31a8085e9a1656febaca9

www.nairaland.com/attachments/772830_wodaabeDOLL_jpgb68e8e5b5c99485c98d6c2a6f67a3a0d
Re: The Wodaabe People by Nobody: 3:40pm On Aug 14, 2012
Re: The Wodaabe People by sambos994(m): 3:41pm On Aug 14, 2012
Beautiful people....I think I have a small percentage of Fulani in me

2 Likes

Re: The Wodaabe People by MrsChima(f): 3:45pm On Aug 14, 2012
sambos994: Beautiful people....I think I have a small percentage of Fulani in me

Negro....you everything in nationality column huh? grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

I have this and that and this and that from my parents.
Re: The Wodaabe People by sambos994(m): 3:52pm On Aug 14, 2012
Mrs.Chima:

Negro....you everything in nationality column huh? grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

I have this and that and this and that from my parents.

No lie... grin grin grin 50% Igbo, 49-49.5% Hausa, 0.5-1% Fulani, 100% Human
Re: The Wodaabe People by MrsChima(f): 3:57pm On Aug 14, 2012
sambos994:

No lie... grin grin grin 50% Igbo, 59% 49-49.5% Hausa, 0.5-1% Fulani, 100% Human

When I calculated your percentages in Algebraic expression/formulation....I ended up with 108%. tongue tongue tongue

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Meet Taiwo Oyebola Agbona, Regent Of Aaye Town In Ondo State / Oba Obateru Akinruntan's Rolls Royce (Photos) / Oba Of Benin's Wife, Queen Ewuare Places A Curse On Online Scammer (Pix)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.