Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,838 members, 7,810,223 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:38 AM

Let's Talk Jazz - Music/Radio (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Let's Talk Jazz (11905 Views)

Singers, Rap Artistes, Producers, Come In Here; Let's Talk. / Let's Talk About Nigerian Musicians / Jazz Growth in Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Let's Talk Jazz by Miller(m): 7:21pm On Feb 07, 2006
Hmmm. Laughs smiley
Re: Let's Talk Jazz by Miller(m): 12:56am On Feb 08, 2006
Oh!
Re: Let's Talk Jazz by doshbass(m): 9:57am On Feb 08, 2006
I am sorry, I apologise, I have just come across different people that compare them to the people I have mentioned and it really pains me, some people cant tell the difference between playing jazz and running some minor notes, these are the type of people I refer to. I totally withdraw my statement. Miller
Re: Let's Talk Jazz by Miller(m): 1:29pm On Feb 08, 2006
smiley
Re: Let's Talk Jazz by eveseh(f): 10:36pm On Apr 26, 2006
Miller:

Oh! Goodness me. First of all, I cancel the word "insult" you used in your email doshbass. This is meant to be a fun chat, not fighting or arguing. Jazz music means spontaneity, fun and friendship to us. The brilliant cats you mentioned above that got you into jazz are mine and they will forever be mine( Femi and Micheal). This is where we get things wrong as human beings. It could have been very well appreciated if you'd been polite in your previous mail, as i am a very down to earth and well laid back human being. However, i don't count on that, what i count on is the friendship and electrifying spirit of music, that magnetizes musicians together.

With humility, i am not a kid when we talk about "Jazz Music". I know the differences between Agbo, Micheal, Femi, Akin, Lekan. As a jazz enthusiast, i was appreciating the works of these guys and where they have taken strings to. Femi Temowo is a musician that i will forever talk about, likewise Micheal. I know what they've gone through when it comes to jazz music. I know the syllabus they've faced for them to have that knowledge of jazz, It's not easy!

So Doshbass, if you go back to reading my post again, you will surely know you've misinterpreted my post. I'd like you to read it again and get what i was trying to point out. You said, "well these guys are not known in Nigerian Community". I know they are going to be among the leaders and Pioneers of Modern jazz in Africa in few years to come.

Why is South-African Jazz growing everyday? I look forward to an answer from you. After that, i will say something about your post.

But let this be the first thing on our mind, when we think, talk, and play music; "Friendship and Fun".

I would like to know you better. My email address is in ma profile. I think i have a rough idea of whom this would be.

Regards. smiley wink

wink wink wink wink wink wink
Re: Let's Talk Jazz by Miller(m): 8:56am On Oct 20, 2006
Re: Let's Talk Jazz by drrionelli(m): 5:56pm On Oct 23, 2006
@Topic:
I just recently found this thread, and am I ever glad that I did!

I enjoy all kinds of music, and I am also a musician.  I have been known to play just about any style of music, but I am particularly fond of jazz.  I find it interesting that jazz is so cosmopolitan.  Just about every country in the world has its jazz scene, including local players and stylistic sensibilities.  Most other music cannot claim that.  There is great jazz in Africa, Japan, England, Brazil, North America, everywhere!  And, it's growing!   

As for me, I am very fond of Cleo Laine (as Leonard Feather once said, "simply the finest singer in the world"wink and Johnny Dankworth.  I also adored the unparalleled upper-register fireworks of the recently departed trumpeter Maynard Ferguson.  David Sanborn is worth a listen anytime.  And, when he's not playing on the American Tonight Show, Kevin Eubanks is one superb jazz guitarist.

So many artists, so much music, This thread could be a very deep one, indeed!
Re: Let's Talk Jazz by Cleofel(f): 2:41am On Oct 29, 2006
i love jazz and country music as well.
Re: Let's Talk Jazz by SeyiJay(m): 11:16am On Nov 21, 2006
Glad to chip in ma bit on this Jazzy thread. I'm not a guru yet in knowing the names of all those jazzists like Miller, doshbass and co do, but i like real cool, soothing pieces like those of Kenny G, Earl Klough, Dave Koz, Najee [ma fav'rit], George Benson, Yanni[jus' gettin' 2 kno' him, tho'], Bonny James and quite a few other good instrumentalists. On the home front, ma guyz include Kunle Ajayi, Gbenga O-Wise, Segun Oluwayomi, Dapo Abe[Daystar], etc.
[flash=200,200]http://For good jazz listening on radio[/flash], Blue Rhythms by Buffly[Ben Ufeli] is now at 10pm - 12am Sundays on Rhythm 93.7. Ben now has a jazz club for jazz lovers, that i know. What i don't know is his present e-mail ad for membership details. I also know they meet at Lord's Club, Maryland on some occasion. So, does any one have current details about how to be part of the club?
cool
Re: Let's Talk Jazz by drrionelli(m): 1:33am On Nov 22, 2006
I like your supporting the "home front," SeyiJay! I'm always looking for new stuff to check out. The artists you mentioned, do they have recordings available in the US?
Re: Let's Talk Jazz by SeyiJay(m): 9:03am On Nov 28, 2006
Drrionelli, thx. I'm not too sure the artistes i mentioned have recordings available in naija, tho' u can try 'n' get someone in naija to help u with some CDs of some of these artistes in a couple of music stores.A lot of them have some affiliation with DeCross International Ltd owned by Evangelist Obey-Fabiyi. So try and locate his site to have some idea on available works. I will see what i can do in getting sites where u can get copies,
Re: Let's Talk Jazz by SeyiJay(m): 9:14am On Nov 28, 2006
Sorry for the error Drrionelli, i meant to write that i was not sure of the availability of the naija works in the US,
Re: Let's Talk Jazz by drrionelli(m): 7:31pm On Nov 28, 2006
No apology necessary, SeyiJay! And thank you for the lead about DeCross International. I'll look into it!

Miller, so pleased to have your input, too! I'll have some questions for you, I'm sure. But, I would like first to ask this: You say you are a "presenter." What may I ask does that mean?
Re: Let's Talk Jazz by drrionelli(m): 11:59pm On Dec 01, 2006
Uh, Miller, are you there? Hello?
Re: Let's Talk Jazz by SeyiJay(m): 4:07pm On Apr 03, 2007
drrionelli:

Uh, Miller, are you there? Hello?

Fellow JAZZ loverzzz, where are you all at? Pleeeeeze , let us keep this thread ALIVE. Miller, where R U? kindly respond. Drrionelli, doshbass, Eveseh, etc POST SOMETHING please,[color=#990000][/color]
Re: Let's Talk Jazz by TerraCotta(m): 6:20pm On Apr 03, 2007
Coltrane's various "My Favorite Things" renditions are my favorites--very accessible for non-jazz heads, and a beautiful way to show people how to appreciate the improvisation and riffs on a standard tune that characterizes the best jazz.

Other favorites are "In A Sentimental Mood" by Coltrane and Ellington, and "Autumn Leaves" with Miles Davis. Free jazz in general is a little harder to appreciate for me . . .
Re: Let's Talk Jazz by drrionelli(m): 9:25pm On Apr 03, 2007
Rest assured, SeyiJay, that I am still here! And I agree--this thread must be kept alive!

I recently found a clip on YouTube of (get this!) Sarah Vaughan, Pearl Bailey and Ella Fitzgerald together! It was from an American TV show and it featured the three singing and scatting a great medley of jazz tunes. Nothing real deep, mind you, but so very entertaining! I'd never seen those three together before. Needless to say, Ella was all over the place! Sarah was in "divine" voice, and Pearl held her own, too!
Re: Let's Talk Jazz by Yimsfred(m): 2:25am On Apr 04, 2007
I listen to Jazz a lot too: very early in the morning, in the car and as lullaby. I listen to little of Kenny G and a lot of Yanni (JAZZMASTER)
Re: Let's Talk Jazz by Miller(m): 11:35am On Apr 04, 2007
smiley
Re: Let's Talk Jazz by SeyiJay(m): 4:56pm On Apr 04, 2007
Thank God u guyz r back on d jazzy block! Where 'ave u all been? Miller, u sure 'ave been on a spree - boy! with all those names most of which i've never even heard before. Some of us are still learning, tho'. Gr8 2 have ur contributions once again. P-E-A-C-E. KEEP 'EM UP.
Re: Let's Talk Jazz by drrionelli(m): 6:07pm On Apr 04, 2007
Miller, it was I who said that "Ella was all over the place." Let me explain:

In the performance to which I alluded, Ella was in fine form, showing why she has always been a true "first lady of jazz." Vocally, she was using lots of her range, her scatting abilities and that flawless phrasing that she possessed. Thus, my friend, you see that I was not being disrespectful. Quite the contrary. I was giving props to one who truly deserved it!

Did you get my reference to Sarah's being in "divine" voice? wink
Re: Let's Talk Jazz by Miller(m): 9:41pm On Apr 04, 2007
Re: Let's Talk Jazz by drrionelli(m): 6:04pm On Apr 05, 2007
No apologies are necessary, Miller! It was an honest misunderstanding. We're all of one accord with respect to our appreciation of jazz!

Allow me to ask, Miller--you're in London, right? Are Cleo Laine and/or Johnny Dankworth still active? I know they're getting on in years, but they are truly icons in the field. Am I correct in that they both have been bestowed with honors from Her Majesty the Queen?
Re: Let's Talk Jazz by Miller(m): 7:27am On Apr 06, 2007
Yes, drrionelli I live in London. Cleo Laine and Dankworth are still effective in the jazz world. I call them "Perfect Match". I think they celebrated John's 80th recently at a Jazz Club in Central London. One of my lecturers is John Dankworth's music director, an amazing pianist and composer. What instrument do you play Drrio? Hope you dont mind, lol
Re: Let's Talk Jazz by drrionelli(m): 11:02pm On Apr 09, 2007
What instrument(s) do I play, you ask? Well, I am mainly a guitar player, with a close second being trumpet.

So pleased that Cleo and Johnny are still at it! I've often said that Cleo's voice is the 8th wonder of the world! It has been a while since I heard them. Has Cleo's voice stayed rich and expressive? Does she still have that phenomenal range?

It never ceased to amaze me that she didn't seem to gain the same popularity on my side of the pond as she did on your side.
Re: Let's Talk Jazz by SeyiJay(m): 11:22am On Apr 11, 2007
Gents, could any one shed a bit of light on this guy called Yanni? I started hearing 'bout him some couple of years ago. His compositions [tho i've not heard very many] are kind of something that sounds like funkified Beethoven's pieces. Please give mo' info concerning this artiste: background, style, base, etc
Re: Let's Talk Jazz by SeyiJay(m): 11:43am On Apr 11, 2007
This is for ALL JAZZ FANS in 'n' around Lagos. About BLUE RHYTHMS, the jazz program presented by Ben Ufeli [Bufly] on 93.7FM sunday nites 10pm. I came across (thankfully) his communications outfit [The Nigeria Jazz Club] phone number in a ( u wouldn't believe this) commercial bus on the Island, on a sticker: (+)234-802-317-6204.
Interested fans could call to inquire 'bout membership and/or other details.

Ta.
Re: Let's Talk Jazz by drrionelli(m): 5:37pm On Apr 11, 2007
SeyiJay, have you visited Yanni's website? There's quite a bit of information about him, there!

With regard to the Blue Rhythms,
Re: Let's Talk Jazz by Yimsfred(m): 1:28am On Apr 19, 2007
What's the website link?
Re: Let's Talk Jazz by drrionelli(m): 12:37am On Apr 25, 2007
Yimsfred, try to Google "Yanni" and you'll find it with no problems whatsoever! It's a site that's easy to navigate, too. I'd post it, myself, but I don't remember it off the top of my head.
Re: Let's Talk Jazz by Miller(m): 9:29am On Apr 25, 2007
smiley
Re: Let's Talk Jazz by dvenom(m): 11:52am On Apr 25, 2007
Jazz is my life!And it is so addictive so much so that you wont want to hear anything else,
Yanni drives me crazy,Dave Koz is it,Kenny G is a genius,Grover Washington jnr. is a gift,Najee is d bomb,, inexhaustible, i really love jazz!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Tinie Tempah Ft. Wizkid – Mamacita (Video) / [DOWNLOAD VIDEO] Niyola (@iamniyola) - Toh Bad (official Video) / Best Website For Downloading American Songs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.