Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,248 members, 7,818,851 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:40 AM

Interested In Poultry Farming? Ask Your Questions Here - Agriculture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Interested In Poultry Farming? Ask Your Questions Here (12955 Views)

Fish Farming Or Poultry Farming. / A-Z Of Poultry Farming: Ask Your Questions & Get Accurate Knowledge (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Interested In Poultry Farming? Ask Your Questions Here by alakara(m): 3:14pm On Feb 14, 2017
Jafsent:

Sorry to say this but are you sure 2 to 3 bags is enough for 20 weeks 500 birds ??

yes, if they eat BTW 100-120g per bird per day.
500 birds will eat 60000g per day 60000g = 60kg which is like 2.5 bags.
Thanks.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Interested In Poultry Farming? Ask Your Questions Here by Nobody: 6:10am On Feb 15, 2017
Jafsent:

Sorry to say this but are you sure 2 to 3 bags is enough for 20 weeks 500 birds ??

Average consumption is 500 * 120g = 60000g = 60kg

A bag is 25kg giving you 60/25=2.4 bags

Three bags should be more than enough.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Interested In Poultry Farming? Ask Your Questions Here by Nobody: 11:13am On Feb 15, 2017
alakara:

yes, if they eat BTW 100-120g per bird per day.
500 birds will eat 60000g per day 60000g = 60kg which is like 2.5 bags.
Thanks.
Thanks
And which feed do you think is best for the chicken during that time?
Re: Interested In Poultry Farming? Ask Your Questions Here by alakara(m): 3:22pm On Feb 15, 2017
Jafsent:
Thanks And which feed do you think is best for the chicken during that time?
You have to put into consideration the feed they are eating b4.
Re: Interested In Poultry Farming? Ask Your Questions Here by chubi1980: 7:30pm On Feb 15, 2017
Hello guys, please am interested in leasing a poultry farm preferably within Lekki/Epe area...please, any information or suggestions will be highly appreciated. Much thanks!
Re: Interested In Poultry Farming? Ask Your Questions Here by zopaks: 11:19am On Nov 10, 2017
Wow.. really sorry for the sooo long a break from this thread. Would be back to business soonest.
Re: Interested In Poultry Farming? Ask Your Questions Here by zopaks: 7:37pm On Nov 13, 2017
Re: Interested In Poultry Farming? Ask Your Questions Here by zopaks: 3:04pm On Feb 07, 2020
How to identify a fertile egg
In the hatchery there is a kind of fertility test that is carried out on the 18th day before the chicks hatch on the 21st day.
This method is called Candling. To explain in a simple term, candling invoves the use of tranluscent light to see through the egg shells for signs of fertility in eggs. Eggs that are transparent are infertile as it means that no sperm from the male chicken was introduced naturally or artificially to fertilise the egg released by the female chicken.
Once the eggs passes the candling stage then you can conclude that the egg is fertile. That is what we call fertility percentage (the number of fertile eggs divided by the number of hatchable eggs that are collected from the laying breeder flock). So that is basically how to identify your fertile eggs from the infertile ones.

From the purchase of parent stock chicks to when they arrive while ensuring strict biosecurity measures to their complete vaccination(very important) , their periodical seromonitoring to monitor their titre level,to the chicks management to ensure adequate body weight and uniformity to thieir body standard conformity as well as attaining a good production performance .
Furthermore, the hatchable eggs from your parent stock birds has to be propeerly managed to ensure that your fertile eggs get the desired results in terms of high fertilty and a high hatching percentage. So in other words, these series of activities are what is required to produce your day old chicks that are of high quality so that your potential customers wont be complaining of poor chicks from your hatchery. Unlike in commercial layers or broilers, as a parent stock farmer, there is nothing like short cut as every standard practise has to be followed to the tiniest of details. This is neccessary to avert crisis to your breeder birds that costs a lot to manage and raise!

WHERE CAN I GET PARENT STOCKS FROM AND HOW DO I RAISE THEM
You can get parent stock birds from the big hatcheries that raise grand parent stock birds on thier farm.Unfortunately, we have very few grand parent stock farms that operate along this line.This is the reason why there is a high price in the cost of parent stock chicks.
As far as i know, parent stocks can be gotten from chi farm, obj farm as these farms operate grand parent stock farms and also hatch them for sale. You may decide to import their eggs but the cost of importing them is exceedingly high and may affect your profitability from a business perspective.

As regards raising broiler parent stocks, broiler breeder birds is quite complex due to thier body structure not conformed to laying of eggs, so it would require the services of a trained farmer who has the technical understanding of running a parent stock farm or the other option is to employ the services of a visiting consultant who would guide you throughout the process as a whole and lastly if you are already into poultry farming, you can go for the option of getting trained specifically on the management of parent stock birds as it would be more or less like an upgrade on the existing basic commercial poultry knowledge that you have.(if i see a significant interest in farmers here that want me to organise a real life training to empower them on the business of raising parent stocks from day old to laying stage as well as incubation stage, i might consider making that arrangement.)

*Never go into the business of raising parent stocks without any of the options i just listed above, or else you would end up losing your investment and the terrible experience is not what i wish for my enemy!.*

Here is my suggestion, you can as well team up and invest in and/or partner with a parent stock farm being operated by a breeder farmer who knows the in and out of the business while you might not neccesarily have to bother yourself about the stress of running the business physically. (if i see other farmers here who are interested in this option, i can throw it open for the house and we can collectively develop the business idea and see it to fruition).....Thats one of the reasons for creating this group in the first place!

DEAR ADMIN
1)How are parent stocks gotten and cared for?
Answer
This question has been answered already so i will copy and paste it here
2) Is there any simple method to hatch the birds?
Answer
I dont really understand this question, but if i understand this question clearly, If you want to run your farm either on a small scale or large scale, you cannot do without incubators.

I have heard of some people that locally designed there own incubators using local materials for hatching their eggs but that wont work on a commercial level.
It is only incubators that i know that are used for hatching fertile eggs. There are different incubators with varying capacity and prices. And you need to operate them with a constant supply of electricity or gas while some can be installed and powered with solar.

3) Medications for parent stocks?
Just as it is in your coomercial pullets as well as commercial broilers, you also have to carry out medications for your parent stock birds. Most of which are preventive medications to prevent any spread of disease amongst a flock from a mild stage to a severe state where there might be serious mortalities. And so, there is always a periodical medication program structured out for the flock especially at the rearing phase to prevent unexpected outbreak of diseases.
4) lebanese domination in this niche of poultry
Hmmm, this question is funny oh!
Lebanese are truly dominant in this niche of poultry.Infact someone was mentioned that most of the parent stock farms that end with the word "tech" are owned by lebanese.
Well from my sources, i was told that most of the lebanese guys actually worked together in one parent company and a gradual break up by each individual lebanese led to the setting up of their respective breeder farms. And hence the dominance of the lebanese guys in the parent stock poultry industry.
Now the question is this.. what can we Nigerians do to prevent/control the intimidating dominance of foreigners in our own poultry industry. What makes the lebanese special?
Well if i am to answer this question, i will say that since it is quite technical and also capital intensive to go into parent stock farming, and i beleive that if we Nigerian farmers can team up and create partnerships by combining our technical knowlegde, our poultry facilities as well as our financial resources, then gradually we can grow from a small scaled parent stock farm to operate a medium scaled breeder farm and finally a large scaled parent stock farm. (this is how the lebanese started before breaking up and finally spreading out thier dominance in this line of poultry business )
5) Any existing Partnership opportuniies as an ordinary farmer in investing in a parent stock farm
Thats one of the purpose of this group!
The partnership starts here! It starts right now! If you are interseted... indicate! And we begin..No time to waste!
interested members indicate, I coordinate, we decide/plan, we contribute , we get a strategic location, we book, we stock , we raise , we sell and we smile to the bank in the festive period when chicks start selling a #400 per bird (smiles)
we begin rightaway..No time to waste!
Remember it involves capital
So can i some his from those intereseted?
Re: Interested In Poultry Farming? Ask Your Questions Here by potosky: 4:50pm On Feb 07, 2020
Make I park here first
Re: Interested In Poultry Farming? Ask Your Questions Here by omohshe: 10:30pm On Feb 22, 2020
zopaks:
How to identify a fertile egg
In the hatchery there is a kind of fertility test that is carried out on the 18th day before the chicks hatch on the 21st day.
This method is called Candling. To explain in a simple term, candling invoves the use of tranluscent light to see through the egg shells for signs of fertility in eggs. Eggs that are transparent are infertile as it means that no sperm from the male chicken was introduced naturally or artificially to fertilise the egg released by the female chicken.
Once the eggs passes the candling stage then you can conclude that the egg is fertile. That is what we call fertility percentage (the number of fertile eggs divided by the number of hatchable eggs that are collected from the laying breeder flock). So that is basically how to identify your fertile eggs from the infertile ones.

From the purchase of parent stock chicks to when they arrive while ensuring strict biosecurity measures to their complete vaccination(very important) , their periodical seromonitoring to monitor their titre level,to the chicks management to ensure adequate body weight and uniformity to thieir body standard conformity as well as attaining a good production performance .
Furthermore, the hatchable eggs from your parent stock birds has to be propeerly managed to ensure that your fertile eggs get the desired results in terms of high fertilty and a high hatching percentage. So in other words, these series of activities are what is required to produce your day old chicks that are of high quality so that your potential customers wont be complaining of poor chicks from your hatchery. Unlike in commercial layers or broilers, as a parent stock farmer, there is nothing like short cut as every standard practise has to be followed to the tiniest of details. This is neccessary to avert crisis to your breeder birds that costs a lot to manage and raise!

WHERE CAN I GET PARENT STOCKS FROM AND HOW DO I RAISE THEM
You can get parent stock birds from the big hatcheries that raise grand parent stock birds on thier farm.Unfortunately, we have very few grand parent stock farms that operate along this line.This is the reason why there is a high price in the cost of parent stock chicks.
As far as i know, parent stocks can be gotten from chi farm, obj farm as these farms operate grand parent stock farms and also hatch them for sale. You may decide to import their eggs but the cost of importing them is exceedingly high and may affect your profitability from a business perspective.

As regards raising broiler parent stocks, broiler breeder birds is quite complex due to thier body structure not conformed to laying of eggs, so it would require the services of a trained farmer who has the technical understanding of running a parent stock farm or the other option is to employ the services of a visiting consultant who would guide you throughout the process as a whole and lastly if you are already into poultry farming, you can go for the option of getting trained specifically on the management of parent stock birds as it would be more or less like an upgrade on the existing basic commercial poultry knowledge that you have.(if i see a significant interest in farmers here that want me to organise a real life training to empower them on the business of raising parent stocks from day old to laying stage as well as incubation stage, i might consider making that arrangement.)

*Never go into the business of raising parent stocks without any of the options i just listed above, or else you would end up losing your investment and the terrible experience is not what i wish for my enemy!.*

Here is my suggestion, you can as well team up and invest in and/or partner with a parent stock farm being operated by a breeder farmer who knows the in and out of the business while you might not neccesarily have to bother yourself about the stress of running the business physically. (if i see other farmers here who are interested in this option, i can throw it open for the house and we can collectively develop the business idea and see it to fruition).....Thats one of the reasons for creating this group in the first place!

DEAR ADMIN
1)How are parent stocks gotten and cared for?
Answer
This question has been answered already so i will copy and paste it here
2) Is there any simple method to hatch the birds?
Answer
I dont really understand this question, but if i understand this question clearly, If you want to run your farm either on a small scale or large scale, you cannot do without incubators.

I have heard of some people that locally designed there own incubators using local materials for hatching their eggs but that wont work on a commercial level.
It is only incubators that i know that are used for hatching fertile eggs. There are different incubators with varying capacity and prices. And you need to operate them with a constant supply of electricity or gas while some can be installed and powered with solar.

3) Medications for parent stocks?
Just as it is in your coomercial pullets as well as commercial broilers, you also have to carry out medications for your parent stock birds. Most of which are preventive medications to prevent any spread of disease amongst a flock from a mild stage to a severe state where there might be serious mortalities. And so, there is always a periodical medication program structured out for the flock especially at the rearing phase to prevent unexpected outbreak of diseases.
4) lebanese domination in this niche of poultry
Hmmm, this question is funny oh!
Lebanese are truly dominant in this niche of poultry.Infact someone was mentioned that most of the parent stock farms that end with the word "tech" are owned by lebanese.
Well from my sources, i was told that most of the lebanese guys actually worked together in one parent company and a gradual break up by each individual lebanese led to the setting up of their respective breeder farms. And hence the dominance of the lebanese guys in the parent stock poultry industry.
Now the question is this.. what can we Nigerians do to prevent/control the intimidating dominance of foreigners in our own poultry industry. What makes the lebanese special?
Well if i am to answer this question, i will say that since it is quite technical and also capital intensive to go into parent stock farming, and i beleive that if we Nigerian farmers can team up and create partnerships by combining our technical knowlegde, our poultry facilities as well as our financial resources, then gradually we can grow from a small scaled parent stock farm to operate a medium scaled breeder farm and finally a large scaled parent stock farm. (this is how the lebanese started before breaking up and finally spreading out thier dominance in this line of poultry business )
5) Any existing Partnership opportuniies as an ordinary farmer in investing in a parent stock farm
Thats one of the purpose of this group!
The partnership starts here! It starts right now! If you are interseted... indicate! And we begin..No time to waste!
interested members indicate, I coordinate, we decide/plan, we contribute , we get a strategic location, we book, we stock , we raise , we sell and we smile to the bank in the festive period when chicks start selling a #400 per bird (smiles)
we begin rightaway..No time to waste!
Remember it involves capital
So can i some his from those intereseted?
10,000 old layers needed for immediate purchase. Call or chat me on WhatsApp 08060951323
Re: Interested In Poultry Farming? Ask Your Questions Here by zopaks: 2:45pm On May 19, 2020
Its been long

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Cucumber Farmers, Let's Meet Here / My Dry Season Irrigation Sack Farming (photo Speak) / Groundnut Farming At Abeokuta

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.