Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,095 members, 7,811,069 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 10:17 PM

Seven Interesting Facts About The Ancient Yoruba Culture - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Seven Interesting Facts About The Ancient Yoruba Culture (31549 Views)

Brazilian Tourists Vow To Promote Yoruba Culture / Village In America Where The Yoruba Culture Is Being Practiced (Photos) / Oruko Amutorunwa (generic Names In Yoruba Culture) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Seven Interesting Facts About The Ancient Yoruba Culture by timilehing(m): 4:22pm On May 09, 2015
calebo101:
[b]Na just population Yoruba get...... They are so tribalistic and obviously like to think of themselves as sophisticated but then they share that opinion among themselves only. For now they can stand firm with their Northern masters but when push comes to shove they will discover they're standing alone. The Yoruba's should be grateful to Fayose for standing his ground and not allowing them all to be sold to slavery entirely.

The 3 top public figures representing Yorubas---- Obasanjo, Tinubu and Oba Akiolu... While Tinubu is corruption personified and Oba Akiolu has a leaking mouth... Obasanjo is corrupt, has a leaking mouth and has destroyed his own family with his incestuous nature. How can a man sleep with his Son's wife

Anyway i repeat again, the only thing the Yorubas have over any region from the south is population, e nor pass like that. Their hatred for other tribes apart from their Northern masters is appalling to say the least.

[/b]

So who are the 3 idiots representing ndi Igbo?

1 Like

Re: Seven Interesting Facts About The Ancient Yoruba Culture by yemmybx(m): 4:27pm On May 09, 2015
Otenestbestyaho:
I hate yoruba people but I love igbos. Am an idoma boy.

Quoters are liable to die young. The first 20 quoters will be killed via the pic below. Goodluck as you quote, your time start now.
IGBOS WITH OTHER MINORITY GROUPS, HATRED POLITICS WILL NEVER MAKE U OR HELP U TO EVER PRODUCE A PRESIDENT-ELECT IN THIS COUNTRY GEJ IS YOUR FIRST AND D LAST.... inferiority complex is killing d igbos with other minority groups in dis country

1 Like

Re: Seven Interesting Facts About The Ancient Yoruba Culture by falopey: 4:38pm On May 09, 2015
skullbaba:
Not all yoruba are from oduduwa. The oduduwa story is created by 'WE' oyo to show supremacy, and this story was propagated by the likes of samuel johnson and co. If you check earlier writings like lagos census you will notice that it is only OYO that is call yoruba and others were represented with their own name too like the ijesa,igbomina, ekiti,ijebu etc there is even evence that it was the hausaa/fulani jihad that named the oyos 'Yoruba' which later change to 'yoruba'. To those that believe in oduduwa story what are you going to call the ekitis that never appear in the history of yoruba but appear in the more-guilded Ifa literary corpus that even oRunmila once lived and ruled before going s
What do you know about history and ekiti people. I am an indegene of ekiti. Or do you know the origin and history of ekiti people more than the ekitis and their traditional ruler s who are the real custodian s of their historical origin? Or you just want to believe what white men and politics want you to believe? For your information, every ekiti Obas agree and share in the history of how their communities came to be that they migrated from ile ife. No one can rewrite their history. You don't start propagating what is untrue of a people you know nothing about just because you read what some gullibles want you to believe away from reality. When you want to know the origin of a people, you ask the traditional ruler of such communities. Ok?

8 Likes

Re: Seven Interesting Facts About The Ancient Yoruba Culture by lazsnaira(m): 4:49pm On May 09, 2015
calebo101:
[b]Na just population Yoruba get...... They are so tribalistic and obviously like to think of themselves as sophisticated but then they share that opinion among themselves only. For now they can stand firm with their Northern masters but when push comes to shove they will discover they're standing alone. The Yoruba's should be grateful to Fayose for standing his ground and not allowing them all to be sold to slavery entirely.

The 3 top public figures representing Yorubas---- Obasanjo, Tinubu and Oba Akiolu... While Tinubu is corruption personified and Oba Akiolu has a leaking mouth... Obasanjo is corrupt, has a leaking mouth and has destroyed his own family with his incestuous nature. How can a man sleep with his Son's wife

Anyway i repeat again, the only thing the Yorubas have over any region from the south is population, e nor pass like that. Their hatred for other tribes apart from their Northern masters is appalling to say the least.

[/b]

You've said it all.

1 Like

Re: Seven Interesting Facts About The Ancient Yoruba Culture by xmich(m): 4:51pm On May 09, 2015
yemmybx:
IGBOS WITH OTHER MINORITY GROUPS, HATRED POLITICS WILL NEVER MAKE U OR HELP U TO EVER PRODUCE A PRESIDENT-ELECT IN THIS COUNTRY GEJ IS YOUR FIRST AND D LAST.... inferiority complex is killing d igbos with other minority groups in dis country
What is this one talking

1 Like

Re: Seven Interesting Facts About The Ancient Yoruba Culture by mightycrown1(m): 4:55pm On May 09, 2015
IF YOU ARE NOT IMPORTANT, NO MATTER HOW TALL YOU ARE NOBODY NOTICE YOU WHEN YOU PASS. BUT IF YOU ARE HIGHLY INDISPENSABLE, NO MATTER HOW SHORT YOU ARE EVERYBODY NOTICE THE SLIGHTEST MOVE YOU MAKE. YORUBAS ARE HIGHLY INDISPENSABLE, THAT IS WHY THE HATERS WANT TO DIE. IF THEY LIKE LET THEM LOVE US, IF THEY LIKE LET THEM EXPONENTIATE THEIR HATRED FOR US. THEY ARE BORN TO HAVE SLEEPLESS NIGHTS ON YORUBA ISSUES, LET THEM CONTINUE HATING WHILE WITH CONTINUE MOVING AHEAD. I WOULD HAVE BEEN CRYING BY NOW IF IM NOT A YORUBA.

[size=18pt] I AM PROUD TO COME FROM YORUBA NATION. OMO ODUA TO YANJU. [/size]

3 Likes

Re: Seven Interesting Facts About The Ancient Yoruba Culture by yemmybx(m): 4:55pm On May 09, 2015
xmich:
What is this one talking
ASK GOOGLE?
Re: Seven Interesting Facts About The Ancient Yoruba Culture by MrBasketball: 4:55pm On May 09, 2015
GodwinTobi:
who yoruba culture help....?
Who your culture help he goat?

2 Likes

Re: Seven Interesting Facts About The Ancient Yoruba Culture by Nobody: 5:16pm On May 09, 2015
temitemi1:
But I love my igbo friends na grin grin

U be my real guy. U nor join grin.

I'm not igbo by the way.

1 Like

Re: Seven Interesting Facts About The Ancient Yoruba Culture by klax(m): 5:16pm On May 09, 2015
To be honest it's now I realised goats are plenty in NL no wonders big guys hate coming here for anything so pathetic indeed.

Someone just did a write up about a tribe called Yoruba in just a second my own people quickly digress it to tribal rants. I can even read an Idoma guy even talking abusing the Yoruba it's Unbelieveable people are talking a idoma person(are they not the agatu and igala people) too is talking so funny indeed I won't go further on that anyway.

Guys the poster of this thread has done no wrong and the thread is not about hate it's simply piece of information if you don't like it snub it and give us your tribe history or jump to something else it's not by force to talk Ok.

Tifnubu is a thief yes, OBJ is corrupt yes according to a guy here but yet same people from.my region are saying igbo did not vote wisely, same people carrying witchcraft broom around, same people saying in apc we stand, same people want Okorocha by all means and yet yoruba are bad, Tifnubu is corrupt, OBJ is bad and yet my people still carry broom please what is the common sense in your hate for these people absolutely nonsense. I know I have pour salt on their wound but I don't care mine is anyone that preach hate against yoruba or igbo here I will stand against him or her.

4 Likes

Re: Seven Interesting Facts About The Ancient Yoruba Culture by Ghost01(m): 5:20pm On May 09, 2015
Some people hear the word "Yoruba" and develop instant headache. Proudly Yoruba!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Seven Interesting Facts About The Ancient Yoruba Culture by lazsnaira(m): 5:22pm On May 09, 2015
I hope yorubas are beginning to learn that their hatred for Igbos is boldly registered & printed on the consciousness of every Nigerian.

1 Like

Re: Seven Interesting Facts About The Ancient Yoruba Culture by sukkot: 5:26pm On May 09, 2015
bright007:
if Yoruba people are descendants of Oduduwa, then Yorubas originated from Benin. this is because Oduduwa is Prince ekekeredaiken, a true benin son who was banished from Benin
you may have a point. i am yoruba but my dad told me that in actuality we are benin and that yorubas are from benin. this what he told me so dont shoot the messenger lol
Re: Seven Interesting Facts About The Ancient Yoruba Culture by haul: 5:27pm On May 09, 2015
bright007:
if Yoruba people are descendants of Oduduwa, then Yorubas originated from Benin. this is because Oduduwa is Prince ekekeredaiken, a true benin son who was banished from Benin
get your history well, yoruba has been existing before oduduwa came.

Really shows he was banished,yet his son lineage still rules benin up till date#Figure that!

Don't just come here to spread distorted history,I've got love for any benin man!

1 Like

Re: Seven Interesting Facts About The Ancient Yoruba Culture by saintisaac1(m): 5:32pm On May 09, 2015
calebo101:

[/b]

so u think u are noy tribalistic?
Now I can see d BAD BELLE IN YOU[b]
calebo101:

[/b]

Now I can see d BAD BELLE IN YOU[/b]
calebo101:

[/b]

Now I can see d BAD BELLE IN YOU
Re: Seven Interesting Facts About The Ancient Yoruba Culture by zingywingy: 5:37pm On May 09, 2015
calebo101:

[/b]

Prayer s what you need....u dis descendant of a gorilla..flat head FAMILY with zero shame and zero dignity.

Yoruba owns APC....for ur info but we want progress for Nigeria thats y we supported d most trusted politician left in Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: Seven Interesting Facts About The Ancient Yoruba Culture by Nobody: 5:39pm On May 09, 2015
They will always beef us cuz they wish to be us # proudly yoruba, haters keep hating, it's allowed cool

3 Likes

Re: Seven Interesting Facts About The Ancient Yoruba Culture by haul: 5:53pm On May 09, 2015
sukkot:
you may have a point. i am yoruba but my dad told me that in actuality we are benin and that yorubas are from benin. this what he told me so dont shoot the messenger lol
Re: Seven Interesting Facts About The Ancient Yoruba Culture by haul: 5:53pm On May 09, 2015
sukkot:

Is either your dad had a poor oratory prowess or his ignorant of his history,just look at you?? Your dad told you something about your history which his different from basic yoruba you were taught in school and you couldn't make research about your very own tribe?? Damn! I pity your kids cause they will be told distorted lies wrapped in a warped gift as inheritance to them.

2 Likes

Re: Seven Interesting Facts About The Ancient Yoruba Culture by skullbaba: 5:56pm On May 09, 2015
falopey:

What do you know about history and ekiti people. I am an indegene of ekiti. Or do you know the origin and history of ekiti people more than the ekitis and their traditional ruler s who are the real custodian s of their historical origin? Or you just want to believe what white men and politics want you to believe? For your information, every ekiti Obas agree and share in the history of how their communities came to be that they migrated from ile ife. No one can rewrite their history. You don't start propagating what is untrue of a people you know nothing about just because you read what some gullibles want you to believe away from reality. When you want to know the origin of a people, you ask the traditional ruler of such communities. Ok?
bro/sis you never negate my point. I never said I know the history of ekiti better than you. What I am saying due to military and political power the oyos has over the ekiti before the ekiti parapo war has made the Oyo to distort history to prove their superiority and 'pureness'. Go and read samuel johnson, youw will think ekiti is not 'existing' prior to the rise of Ibadan. Ekiti is one of the 'pureress' yoruba tribe because of the terrain in that part of the country which make ekiti an enclave but we oyo treat them less before the ekiti parapo. If you go to the babalawo for consultation, you will hear them chanting ese-ifa or ayajo, and in these literary corpus you will hear them talking about ekiti and orunmila and other Gods telling you how old the ekiti is but in the oduduwa history Ekiti is neglected for the powerful kingdom 'then'

2 Likes

Re: Seven Interesting Facts About The Ancient Yoruba Culture by Alfred234(m): 6:01pm On May 09, 2015
Nigerians and tribalism ehn...
After you people will come and complain that white people are racists, you people will come and complain about surgency, all this things starts when u start hating people just because they are different from you before u know it you will start killing people because they are not like you.
Am a proud Yoruba boy and no matter your tribe I'll be good to you if you are good to me.
#SayNoToTribalism #StopTheHate

5 Likes

Re: Seven Interesting Facts About The Ancient Yoruba Culture by usdam: 6:05pm On May 09, 2015
Adyrin:
Oyi
Obobinu!

You sick ooo
Re: Seven Interesting Facts About The Ancient Yoruba Culture by elhafeez(m): 6:07pm On May 09, 2015
It's so sad that Nairaland is now a forum to spread hate, tribal and religious propaganda. A tread intended to educate has turn into tribal war zone. That's why the section I enjoy most on Nairaland is the romance and sexuality section because most times its free from religious and tribal sentiment. The funny thing I noticed from most of the comments is that the Igbos hate the yoruba's. Because yoruba ppl chose to vote for Buhari in 2015 doesn't make them the devil. Where were the haters when the Yoruba ppl voted massively for GEJ in 2011. That didn't make the Yoruba's slaves to the south in 2011. Am youruba but I don't hate any Igbo man. But I prefer to do business with a hausa man a hundred times. Because they are straight forward and trust wordy. Even my Igbo friends in the north love it here and can't cope with the lies, cunny behaviour and Dubious character of their ppl when they go back home. They see them as outsiders. An Igbo man doesn't trust his kinsman. My Igbo brothers Yoruba ppl don't hate Igbo ppl.

3 Likes

Re: Seven Interesting Facts About The Ancient Yoruba Culture by macof(m): 6:13pm On May 09, 2015
bright007:
Lol OK this is what you choose to believe
But Ekaladerhan doesn't fit Oduduwa's personality

1 Like

Re: Seven Interesting Facts About The Ancient Yoruba Culture by macof(m): 6:14pm On May 09, 2015
tunery004:

I heard the same story while I was in Edo state also, but it is obvious that oduduwa never migrated from Benin. Its just a mean to gain more importance, same way the Yorubas believe that it was Oranmiyan who founded Benin. He might be from either Mecca, Sudan or Egypt
at the rate people love to claim Oduduwa
He could even be from China grin grin

1 Like

Re: Seven Interesting Facts About The Ancient Yoruba Culture by Volksfuhrer(m): 6:22pm On May 09, 2015
sukkot:

What part of Yoruba land are you from?

1 Like

Re: Seven Interesting Facts About The Ancient Yoruba Culture by macof(m): 6:24pm On May 09, 2015
sukkot:

Ask ur dad well maybe ur lineage is from Bini certainly not mine or other Yorubas out there

2 Likes

Re: Seven Interesting Facts About The Ancient Yoruba Culture by davidsonkuti: 6:31pm On May 09, 2015
Taylor86:
to me d only thing intresting about d yorubas r there women with big NYASH

every other thing about them is how d igbos will die in lagoon
By d content of ur reply u must b an igbo man who lyks women to much, bt u should note dat not only yoruba women ar endowed wir d "big nyash" igbo women too av a fare share
Re: Seven Interesting Facts About The Ancient Yoruba Culture by macof(m): 6:32pm On May 09, 2015
kendrick9:
they are also known for being dubious and hate filled

Kind sir. I've come to realize that We all hate each other in Nigeria
Igbo hates everybody else
Yoruba hates everybody else
Hausa hates ever body else
Ijaw same
Right down to Ogoni, Idoma etc

You know why? Nigeria is driving all of us crazy

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Seven Interesting Facts About The Ancient Yoruba Culture by Jobneeded12: 6:33pm On May 09, 2015
calebo101:

[/b]

You igbo slaves will say anything to please yoir Ijaw masters, Igbos need to associate with yoruba to feel better but guess what YOU ARE NOT BETTER THAN US IN ANY ASPECT IN LIFE, except your women have hair on their breast & legs eww, education, culture, money, advancement, history, global popularity I repeat in no human endeavour have you surpassed a yoruba man when Awolowo was building Sky scrapers Igbos never finish primary school, you started innosin but we yorubas have been making bulletproof cars since 2002 stop crying we don't competee we other tribes you can't compare BEYONCÉ(YORUBA) to SOLANGE (Ibo)

5 Likes

Re: Seven Interesting Facts About The Ancient Yoruba Culture by Jobneeded12: 6:35pm On May 09, 2015
bright007:

Yorubas and Benins are cousins

2 Likes

Re: Seven Interesting Facts About The Ancient Yoruba Culture by macof(m): 6:37pm On May 09, 2015
skullbaba:
Not all yoruba are from oduduwa. The oduduwa story is created by 'WE' oyo to show supremacy, and this story was propagated by the likes of samuel johnson and co. If you check earlier writings like lagos census you will notice that it is only OYO that is call yoruba and others were represented with their own name too like the ijesa,igbomina, ekiti,ijebu etc there is even evence that it was the hausaa/fulani jihad that named the oyos 'Yoruba' which later change to 'yoruba'. To those that believe in oduduwa story what are you going to call the ekitis that never appear in the history of yoruba but appear in the more-guilded Ifa literary corpus that even oRunmila once lived and ruled before going to ile-ife. Any history anybody want to relate should try and compare is story well with Ese-Ifa cos it is more reliable than most assumptions because of it religious usefulness. One thing is certain 'WE OYO' are the. Political and military guidance of the Yoruba Nation which helps us in distort history just like the former is also trying to do. Please Non-yoruba if you want to add to the discussion/argument/debate please use evidence from the Yoruba nation Only. Any evidence from other nation be it igbo,hausa,bini or europeans will be rejected by ME but people from other NATION can contributes. Thanks
Lmao so Oyo created Oduduwa story
Tell me more. ...
Oh! Nd it was the Malians who called Oyo Yarriba

While Ekiti are an old people. .elements of pre-Oduduwa is still present in many towns but We were influenced by Ife as much as other groups

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It / Pictures From The First Coronation Anniversary Of Olu Of Warri / Igbos In Diaspora Build Mud Houses With Whites To Exhibit Culture

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.