Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,746 members, 7,824,148 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:40 AM

Discrimination Against Contract Staff During Interviews. - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Discrimination Against Contract Staff During Interviews. (13685 Views)

Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. / Intelligent Questions Every Interviewee Should Ask During Interviews / Some Hidden Mistakes Job-seekers Make During Interviews (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Discrimination Against Contract Staff During Interviews. by Codedeben: 5:06pm On May 10, 2015
CHM11:

95% of multinational FMCG's here in Nigeria do that (don't want to mention names). They carry out recruitment campaigns for auditing purposes, in the end, they 'staff' the contract guys with them and those whose passed tests and interviews are left hanging. Worse these contract guys most times won't be in the recruitment campaign from the start.

Where is the meritocracy in such process? Like you said, that's life!!........so contract guys shouldn't complain, if you don't want to stay as contract staff just leave the job for others who are ready.

Now I understand your point. However, do you realise its actually cost-effective retaining casual workforce. These people have being nurtured with required experience, hence saving the company the expenses a la logistics that come with fresh recruitment. It comes as a form of incentive which encourages hardwork and diligence , unlike when you know you're damned forever in that same position and appellation. Saves time as well cos transition period would be short. That said, it shouldn't be a basis for not conducting fresh recruitment. I think, ideally, it should be a 60-40 thing for every organizations. Where casual conversion takes the largest chunk. Unfortunately, most of the companies, especially telecommunications and financial institution do not have provision for staffing their casual staff any longer, save for the FMCG you mentioned which I pray won't kowtow their colleagues in other sectors soon.
Re: Discrimination Against Contract Staff During Interviews. by hayoakins(m): 5:11pm On May 10, 2015
obiak4:

government cannot cancel contract staffing because that is the in-thing all over the world what they would do is find a way to sanitise how the system work
you don't throw away the baby and the bath water

It may not be stopped but it sure needs strict regulation.

In a sane society, contract staff earn more because they aren't entitled to bonuses and some allowances but the reverse is the case in Nigeria. Not only are they not entitled to bonuses, they get paid peanuts and treated like Poo

4 Likes

Re: Discrimination Against Contract Staff During Interviews. by beyoncausme: 5:14pm On May 10, 2015
can it ever be stoped..........

Re: Discrimination Against Contract Staff During Interviews. by Nobody: 5:16pm On May 10, 2015
audujosh:
A friend of mine who worked for over two years, as a contract staff with a bank, called me and told me about her experience during an with interview with gtbank. She said the interviewer bluntly told her that the over two years working experience she had "are not working experience. "
I just keep wondering to myself if an interviewer would say such a thing, then what's the fate of contract staff in this country. Bearing in mind that most of the so called contract staff picked the job in order to get the necessary working experience to enable switch to a better job.
I think the incoming government really needs to look into this contract staff of a thing and act on it swiftly.
Please let's keep the contributions coming.

It's just so sad that this is happening. I've been a contract staff in a bank for over five years. Two years ago, I went for an interview with firstbank and was dropped because I was a contract staff. Same thing happened this year, with firstbank again. The most annoying thing is that contract staff do major/more work than some core staff. It's just so sad. When PS was paid in my bank last year, the lowest full staff got approximately 1.5m while contract staff was given around 80k. I'm a BSc. Holder and not OND. It's just so sad, painful, demoralising and disheartening that this is happening. Other contract staff in other banks will surely understand what I am saying. Let's not be discouraged, (though it's difficult not to) and Continue to be at our best. Someone somewhere will surely see our hard work and reward us sooner than we expect. It is well my people.

3 Likes

Re: Discrimination Against Contract Staff During Interviews. by obiak4(m): 5:17pm On May 10, 2015
hayoakins:

It may not be stopped but it sure needs strict regulation.

In a sane society, contract staff earn more because they aren't entitled to bonuses and some allowances but the reverse is the case in Nigeria. Not only are they not entitled to bonuses, they get paid peanuts and treated like Poo
word

2 Likes

Re: Discrimination Against Contract Staff During Interviews. by haabeeodun: 5:31pm On May 10, 2015
If is not experience, maybe its training
Re: Discrimination Against Contract Staff During Interviews. by m1500: 5:45pm On May 10, 2015
In some organizations contract staff are seen as mere never-do-wells who the companies are just helping out; so they really don't see the contract staff as part of the team his/her contributions notwithstanding. So, the victim shouldn't feel too bad because this is the reality that we're facing. NLC and co need to step up their game here and offer some protection to our numerous contract staff littered all over.
Re: Discrimination Against Contract Staff During Interviews. by segunadewale(f): 6:14pm On May 10, 2015
hotunba20:
It's an experience but is the way some interviewer sees it and most of this organisation know abt how contract staff are being maltreat in some bank and coy( don't lemme mention names)

I think govt should cancel contract staff cos it's an advance or civilized slavery.
Please mention names.
Contract staffing is 2nd slavery to this generation;our fore-generation is a total failure. Records will be against them, after many years in the university/polytechnic, u'll be called contract staff...Nigeria I hail thee.
Re: Discrimination Against Contract Staff During Interviews. by Nobody: 6:37pm On May 10, 2015
topefisayo:

It's just so sad that this is happening. I've been a contract staff in a bank for over five years. Two years ago, I went for an interview with firstbank and was dropped because I was a contract staff. Same thing happened this year, with firstbank again. The most annoying thing is that contract staff do major/more work than some core staff. It's just so sad. When PS was paid in my bank last year, the lowest full staff got approximately 1.5m while contract staff was given around 80k. I'm a BSc. Holder and not OND. It's just so sad, painful, demoralising and disheartening that this is happening. Other contract staff in other banks will surely understand what I am saying. Let's not be discouraged, (though it's difficult not to) and Continue to be at our best. Someone somewhere will surely see our hard work and reward us sooner than we expect. It is well my people.
What??...You got PS?? Which bank?? Dts great man...seriously it's commendable of them to pay you PS that means they recognised you are part of the profit. I learnt the bank that made the highest profit in the last 3 financial year do not pay their staff PS let alone Christmas bonus which am sure your organisation pays?

1 Like

Re: Discrimination Against Contract Staff During Interviews. by Nobody: 8:13pm On May 10, 2015
the new government should look into this! I concur!!with the way they sack staff anyhow, I think they should give a staff at list his annual pay as pay-off while sacking.

they sack anyhow but they overwork staff!
Re: Discrimination Against Contract Staff During Interviews. by gloryon(m): 8:36pm On May 10, 2015
ejibaba:

What??...You got PS?? Which bank?? Dts great man...seriously it's commendable of them to pay you PS that means they recognised you are part of the profit. I learnt the bank that made the highest profit in the last 3 financial year do not pay their staff PS let alone Christmas bonus which am sure your organisation pays?
. Yes,zenith bank.i really want to know the bank that pays contract staff ps
Re: Discrimination Against Contract Staff During Interviews. by jooey11: 12:48am On May 11, 2015
CHM11:
After all when you are being 'staffed' permanently by your own company at the expense of other better qualified people from outside, you won't be making noise.

Pls keep quiet and stop sounding ignorant. Show some compassion for those goin thru this even if u have it good on ur endD. There are a whole lot of people suffering this contract staff problem/syndrom oin Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Discrimination Against Contract Staff During Interviews. by AngelicaDivine(f): 7:04am On May 11, 2015
Re: Discrimination Against Contract Staff During Interviews. by ubyways(m): 7:54am On May 11, 2015
XXCASH:
Very sad. I'm a staff in a multinational and I feel very bad the way contract staff are treated.
My advise is for contract staff to send as many petitions to government, hopefully with the new government coming in I see an opportunity for things to change.
Why should these companies be declaring billions of Naira and even dollars like in the case of my company while majority of those working there are leaving from hand to mouth.
Anytime I bring this up, my colleagues advise I be careful. Really what more can one do since I'm directly affected
Please contract staffs, fight and fight on. Without this there is really no light at the end of the tunnel for you

very pathetic, my experience as a contract staff in ppmc is cruel. we are modern slaves in our own country. this guys treat us as rag,Could u imagine we work for over 7 months no payment.
Re: Discrimination Against Contract Staff During Interviews. by motherlode: 11:14am On May 11, 2015
audujosh:
A friend of mine who worked for over two years, as a contract staff with a bank, called me and told me about her experience during an with interview with gtbank. She said the interviewer bluntly told her that the over two years working experience she had "are not working experience. "
I just keep wondering to myself if an interviewer would say such a thing, then what's the fate of contract staff in this country. Bearing in mind that most of the so called contract staff picked the job in order to get the necessary working experience to enable switch to a better job.
I think the incoming government really needs to look into this contract staff of a thing and act on it swiftly.
Please let's keep the contributions coming.

Bro it's not only your friend who is facing such, My uncle too is in the same situation having worked in Wema bank as a contract staff for more than 5 years nothing to show for it as in No Promotion, No Salary increment and inflation rate is increasing!
It pains me a lot, i don't know if the govt through any official can read what i am writing but there is a need to look into it.
Re: Discrimination Against Contract Staff During Interviews. by Rogersmith(m): 12:03pm On May 11, 2015
Currently in one with glo as DAC. They talk to you as if they are doing you a favour. What pains me is that they put the work load on you....

1 Like

Re: Discrimination Against Contract Staff During Interviews. by julie89(f): 1:26pm On Aug 04, 2015
Princenady:
Contract staffing shouldnt be blamed or banned but some recruiters need orientation. If not for contract staffing some of us would not have gotten permanent staffing.
how did u even apply for the contract staff,don't mind starting with one
Re: Discrimination Against Contract Staff During Interviews. by moshoodable: 5:41pm On Aug 04, 2015
Whether the job is contract or not and as far as it puts food on your table,you are better of. Ask those without job...Contract job is a job forget about d conditions.
Re: Discrimination Against Contract Staff During Interviews. by Princenady(m): 9:40pm On Aug 04, 2015
julie89:
how did u even apply for the contract staff,don't mind starting with one

pm me
Re: Discrimination Against Contract Staff During Interviews. by julie89(f): 10:52pm On Aug 04, 2015
Princenady:

pm me
am new here,just followed u,kindly follow back.....thanks

(1) (2) (Reply)

How I Experienced Job Interview Scamming Method At Ibadan / Error In Npower Test Results / NSITF Appointment Letter Is Finally Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.