Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,149 members, 7,818,451 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:07 PM

Open University: Barred From Serving The Nation - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Open University: Barred From Serving The Nation (39171 Views)

National Open University Headquarters In Abuja In Pictures / The Advantages Of National Open University Nigeria / The Disadvantages Of The National Open University Of Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Open University: Barred From Serving The Nation by mathelo(m): 4:54pm On May 10, 2015
Na by force? If u want to serv the nation go to school and stopday dreaming u call NOUN
Re: Open University: Barred From Serving The Nation by sochima1989(m): 4:54pm On May 10, 2015
nzeobi:
I even suggest buhari should ban that NYSC stuff, the only thing people do there is just to go take pictures.
Every graduate should be given like 500k to venture in agriculture or something else and not wasting one year wearing khaki and T shirt around.
My opinion though
. For me? NYCS should remain till d end of Nigeria cos of NCCF...........its doing so much our churches and gov't can't do through those corps members

2 Likes

Re: Open University: Barred From Serving The Nation by SleekyP(m): 4:54pm On May 10, 2015
okay..they should do something about it ASAP.
Re: Open University: Barred From Serving The Nation by Nobody: 4:54pm On May 10, 2015
bilms:
OPEN UNIVERSITY: BARRED FROM SERVING THE NATION
Abdulrazaq O Hamzat

Let me begin by asking a question, is it right to bar some citizens from serving the nation without the basis of law? I think not, but as it stands, graduates of the first of its kind National Open University of Nigeria has been officially barred or excluded from serving our father land. This should be a source of concern to all meaning Nigerians. After the end of the Civil War, the leadership of the country thought of a way to re-unite the country in an effort to bridge the fracture caused by the civil war, and after much deliberation, the National Youth Service Corp was given birth to. According to SECTION 1 of the NYSC decree, it states that, there is hereby established a scheme to be known as the National Youth Service corps (in this Decree referred to as "the Service Corps"wink. The decree states that, the objectives of the service corps shall be: • to inculcate discipline in Nigerian youths by instilling in them a tradition of industry at work, and of patriotic and loyal service to Nigeria in any situation they may find themselves • to raise the moral tone of the Nigerian youths by giving them the opportunity to learn about higher ideals of national achievements, social and cultural improvement • to develop in the Nigerian youths the attitudes of mind, acquired through shared experience and suitable training, which will make them more amenable to mobilization in the national interest • to enable Nigerian youths acquire the spirit of self reliance by encouraging them to develop skills for self employment • to contribute to the accelerated growth of the national economy • to develop common ties among the Nigerian youths and promote national unity and integration • to remove prejudices, eliminate ignorance-and confirm at first hand the many similarities among Nigerians of all ethnic groups • to develop a sense of corporate existence and common destiny of the people of Nigeria In order to achieve the objectives in this decree, the service corps shall ensure: o that the Nigerian youths are exposed to the modes of living of the people in different parts of Nigeria o that the Nigerian youths are encouraged to eschew religious intolerance by accommodating religious differences. The above are the reason for the establishment of NYSC. However, it was a surprise that today, the same NYSC which was founded to bridge divide has now resorted to discrimination without basis. This is against the principle of the scheme. Going through the NYSC decree, those qualified to participate in scheme were well spelt out. SECTION 2 of the decree states that: Subject to the provisions of this Decree, every Nigerian shall: • if, at the end of the academic year 1972-73 or, as the case may be, at the end of any subsequent academic year, he shall have graduated at any university in Nigeria ( ANY UNIVERSITY IN NIGERIA) Since this law has not been changed or the decree amended, it is a gross offense and flagrant disobedience of the laws of our land to exclude Open University graduates from the NYSC. Here we can see that, nothing in this decree indicate that students from Open University are not qualified, it only informed us of the purpose of this scheme which is to build capacity of the Nigerian youths and imbibe the culture of national service, tolerance and accommodation in them. However, rather than admit graduates of Open University into the NYSC scheme to serve their fatherland, the National Youth Service Corps governing council without any basis, continue to exclude the first of its kind institution. They designate Open university as excluded, and the graduates are given what they call, exclusion certificate to indicate that they have been officially excluded from serving our nation. This is a grave injustice. Let me note that, this exclusion certificate was alien to the NYSC Act. What the act recognize is exemption certificate, but only some categories of people are qualified for the exemption. Exemption certificate is different from Exclusion certificate. According to amended NYSC act: Notwithstanding the provisions of subsection (1) of this act, with effect from 1st August, 1985, a person shall not be called upon to serve in the service corps if; at the date of his graduation or obtaining his diploma or other professional qualification - • He is over the age of thirty. • He has served in the armed forces of the Federation or the Nigeria Police Force for a period of more than nine months. • He has been conferred with any National Honour. • He is member of staff of any of the following, that is: i. the Nigerian Security Organisation ii. the State Security Service iii. the National Intelligence Agency iv. the Defence Intelligence Service As we can see in the above, these are the only categories of people that are qualified for NYSC exemption certificate, nothing like exclusion certificate was ever mentioned in the NYSC act, but because the governing council of the NYSC are bent on denying our institution equal rights of participation for reasons best known to them, they introduced what they call exclusion, which they dumped on the faces of distinguish NOUN graduates. It is quite disappointing that, after 4 years of academic grinding, plus hard work in an institution with no equal, where you have obtained the best of knowledge under a properly guided system devoid of any form of examination Mal-practices, what you get is discrimination from some government establishments. It is important to note that, Open University is a federal university, accredited by the same National University Commission which accredited other institutions in the country. For no reason should her graduate be sidelined,as this would discourage prospective students from enrolling in the institution,thus defeating the purpose for which it was created.

We have seen all over the world that graduates of Open Universities are accorded front seat roll, they are seen as people who deserve first class treatment. Nigeria shouldn’t ignorantly relegate this noble institution and its distinguish graduates, they cannot be relegated. Many students from this university feel pained when they see other graduates in the youth corps uniform moving about their places of assignment. They wish that one day, it would be them in those uniforms, holding their head high in service to their fatherland, but this dream seems to be under threat, as graduates after graduates, the discrimination yet continues. I therefore call on those in authority to desist from this discrimination, failure of which the students would be forced to drag the NYSC to court for legal redress. Finally, we are aware that the president have the power to resolve this issues without further delay, as the NYSC act states that, the President, Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces may, by Order published it, the Gazette, extend the application of the provisions of subsection (1) of this section to other categories of Nigerians who shall have obtained such diplomas, certificates or other qualifications as may "be prescribed in the Order from universities, colleges and other institutions of higher learning within or outside Nigeria, and the Order may specify different dates for call-up in relation to different categories of those affected or to be affected by the Order. Therefore, the president should as a matter of urgency, intervene to correct this unjustifiable exclusion of Open university graduates from National Youth Service.

Abdulrazaq O Hamzat Congress of Noun Students

I urge the school admin to drag the nysc to court.

1 Like

Re: Open University: Barred From Serving The Nation by GodwinTobi(m): 4:56pm On May 10, 2015
that means my dad wont be going for service...smh

2 Likes

Re: Open University: Barred From Serving The Nation by SleekyP(m): 4:57pm On May 10, 2015
eleko1:
Abeg,let that winch IYANBGALI go so dat persin go rest
grin

1 Like

Re: Open University: Barred From Serving The Nation by olalekan1(m): 4:57pm On May 10, 2015
NOUN academic system is more or less regarded as part time academic system and if I am right, the university was established basically for adults who are assumed to be over 30 years old on graduation.

4 Likes

Re: Open University: Barred From Serving The Nation by Mooaloji(m): 5:00pm On May 10, 2015
Haba! My frnd Friyo day hope by next year ooo
Re: Open University: Barred From Serving The Nation by bosschinalu(m): 5:00pm On May 10, 2015
Ok
Re: Open University: Barred From Serving The Nation by Dexpro: 5:01pm On May 10, 2015
Deliberate injustice!

1 Like

Re: Open University: Barred From Serving The Nation by Gratia(f): 5:04pm On May 10, 2015
Though I didn't read up all the write up @Op

But I want to ask, how do students of NOUN learn? Because the two people I know that enrolled there only writes EXAMS.

I don't understand.

2 Likes

Re: Open University: Barred From Serving The Nation by Gwazah(m): 5:05pm On May 10, 2015
wasak:
Well I don't think I have anything to say. The posters above have said it all. We thank God for that. Feels good bn on front page and at the same time knowing Barcelona will win LA Liga, champions League and Copa del Rey at the same time.
We are happiness more
Only if the moderator will give me the opportunity, I wud have like ur post a million times but the limit is just one, i like ur post.
Re: Open University: Barred From Serving The Nation by aieromon(m): 5:06pm On May 10, 2015
Part time degree holders are exempt from the programme which I would loved to be scrapped. The certificate should not be a prerequisite for getting a job in Nigeria.
Re: Open University: Barred From Serving The Nation by joseph1832(m): 5:07pm On May 10, 2015
Even the age restriction should be removed. I see no basis for it.
Re: Open University: Barred From Serving The Nation by Nickymezor(f): 5:09pm On May 10, 2015
allcomage:
Nysc has lost its usefulness.It should be scrapped for good.
I tell u...

1 Like

Re: Open University: Barred From Serving The Nation by wuffdedonji: 5:09pm On May 10, 2015
The end is nysc, I beg gen Buhari to trash this arant nonsence called nysc, I will not arrow my daughter to go and be pregnanted in the name of nysc, go and see the kind of atrosity being committed in kubwa Abuja see how small small boys sleep around Wt people wife . chai

1 Like

Re: Open University: Barred From Serving The Nation by beyoncausme: 5:09pm On May 10, 2015
wat a long note.....
Re: Open University: Barred From Serving The Nation by Gwazah(m): 5:10pm On May 10, 2015
Gratia:
Though I didn't read up all the write up @Op

But I want to ask, how do students of NOUN learn? Because the two people I know that enrolled there only writes EXAMS.

I don't understand.
U are on ur own, more emails to the lecturers, enof ego (money) to backup.
Re: Open University: Barred From Serving The Nation by Omotayor123(f): 5:11pm On May 10, 2015
Op isn't Noun for working class Adult & NYSC is for d Youth.

I think d youths dat decide to join d institution should knw better & shouldn't mind.

3 Likes

Re: Open University: Barred From Serving The Nation by Ozjames(m): 5:11pm On May 10, 2015
NYSC. Wahala...
Re: Open University: Barred From Serving The Nation by sagitariusbaby(m): 5:11pm On May 10, 2015
Injustice against one is an injustice against all. There is no way this can change unless we all stand up for our right. Even the so called NOUN students are so complacent and majority don't care either.
I had my first degree from one of the best University in the north and I know how easy it is to cheat and manipulate during exams, texts and assignments but the case is totally different at the NOUN where your exams are computer based, no lecturer or even some corrupt HoD's who you are to settle to guarantee high score as everything is computer based only to be monitored by the authorities to ensure compliance. This as to change for better as this discrimination must be pushed out

1 Like

Re: Open University: Barred From Serving The Nation by wasak(m): 5:13pm On May 10, 2015
Gwazah:

Only if the moderator will give me the opportunity, I wud have like ur post a million times but the limit is just one, i like ur post.
Lol. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Open University: Barred From Serving The Nation by amarachi06(f): 5:15pm On May 10, 2015
itzWarner:
undecidedToo long
There is no way I'm reading all that

that is one reason why NYSC should be bound, since you can't read this.
Entrepreneurship studies should be introduced and instead of wasting time doing nothing for one year, they should use it to learn skills to develop themselves or researching in ones field.
Personally, most of our graduates are half-baked and is not helping issues.

you know am saying the truth.

6 Likes

Re: Open University: Barred From Serving The Nation by Gwazah(m): 5:15pm On May 10, 2015
wuffdedonji:
The end is nysc, I beg gen Buhari to trash this arant nonsence called nysc, I will not arrow my daughter to go and be pregnanted in the name of nysc, go and see the kind of atrosity being committed in kubwa Abuja see how small small boys sleep around Wt people wife . chai
How many illiterate girls are being impregnated everyday? These are girls who don't know the way to NYSC camps but what happened to them at last? Ur excuse is not good enof.

1 Like

Re: Open University: Barred From Serving The Nation by Gwazah(m): 5:16pm On May 10, 2015
wasak:

Lol. Thanks
Welcome my guy.
Re: Open University: Barred From Serving The Nation by Elxandre(m): 5:21pm On May 10, 2015
GodwinTobi:
that means my dad wont be going for service...smh
If your dad hears this. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Open University: Barred From Serving The Nation by free2ryhme: 5:22pm On May 10, 2015
bilms:
OPEN UNIVERSITY: BARRED FROM SERVING THE NATION
Abdulrazaq O Hamzat

Let me begin by asking a question, is it right to bar some citizens from serving the nation without the basis of law? I think not, but as it stands, graduates of the first of its kind National Open University of Nigeria has been officially barred or excluded from serving our father land. This should be a source of concern to all meaning Nigerians. After the end of the Civil War, the leadership of the country thought of a way to re-unite the country in an effort to bridge the fracture caused by the civil war, and after much deliberation, the National Youth Service Corp was given birth to. According to SECTION 1 of the NYSC decree, it states that, there is hereby established a scheme to be known as the National Youth Service corps (in this Decree referred to as "the Service Corps"wink. The decree states that, the objectives of the service corps shall be: • to inculcate discipline in Nigerian youths by instilling in them a tradition of industry at work, and of patriotic and loyal service to Nigeria in any situation they may find themselves • to raise the moral tone of the Nigerian youths by giving them the opportunity to learn about higher ideals of national achievements, social and cultural improvement • to develop in the Nigerian youths the attitudes of mind, acquired through shared experience and suitable training, which will make them more amenable to mobilization in the national interest • to enable Nigerian youths acquire the spirit of self reliance by encouraging them to develop skills for self employment • to contribute to the accelerated growth of the national economy • to develop common ties among the Nigerian youths and promote national unity and integration • to remove prejudices, eliminate ignorance-and confirm at first hand the many similarities among Nigerians of all ethnic groups • to develop a sense of corporate existence and common destiny of the people of Nigeria In order to achieve the objectives in this decree, the service corps shall ensure: o that the Nigerian youths are exposed to the modes of living of the people in different parts of Nigeria o that the Nigerian youths are encouraged to eschew religious intolerance by accommodating religious differences. The above are the reason for the establishment of NYSC. However, it was a surprise that today, the same NYSC which was founded to bridge divide has now resorted to discrimination without basis. This is against the principle of the scheme. Going through the NYSC decree, those qualified to participate in scheme were well spelt out. SECTION 2 of the decree states that: Subject to the provisions of this Decree, every Nigerian shall: • if, at the end of the academic year 1972-73 or, as the case may be, at the end of any subsequent academic year, he shall have graduated at any university in Nigeria ( ANY UNIVERSITY IN NIGERIA) Since this law has not been changed or the decree amended, it is a gross offense and flagrant disobedience of the laws of our land to exclude Open University graduates from the NYSC. Here we can see that, nothing in this decree indicate that students from Open University are not qualified, it only informed us of the purpose of this scheme which is to build capacity of the Nigerian youths and imbibe the culture of national service, tolerance and accommodation in them. However, rather than admit graduates of Open University into the NYSC scheme to serve their fatherland, the National Youth Service Corps governing council without any basis, continue to exclude the first of its kind institution. They designate Open university as excluded, and the graduates are given what they call, exclusion certificate to indicate that they have been officially excluded from serving our nation. This is a grave injustice. Let me note that, this exclusion certificate was alien to the NYSC Act. What the act recognize is exemption certificate, but only some categories of people are qualified for the exemption. Exemption certificate is different from Exclusion certificate. According to amended NYSC act: Notwithstanding the provisions of subsection (1) of this act, with effect from 1st August, 1985, a person shall not be called upon to serve in the service corps if; at the date of his graduation or obtaining his diploma or other professional qualification - • He is over the age of thirty. • He has served in the armed forces of the Federation or the Nigeria Police Force for a period of more than nine months. • He has been conferred with any National Honour. • He is member of staff of any of the following, that is: i. the Nigerian Security Organisation ii. the State Security Service iii. the National Intelligence Agency iv. the Defence Intelligence Service As we can see in the above, these are the only categories of people that are qualified for NYSC exemption certificate, nothing like exclusion certificate was ever mentioned in the NYSC act, but because the governing council of the NYSC are bent on denying our institution equal rights of participation for reasons best known to them, they introduced what they call exclusion, which they dumped on the faces of distinguish NOUN graduates. It is quite disappointing that, after 4 years of academic grinding, plus hard work in an institution with no equal, where you have obtained the best of knowledge under a properly guided system devoid of any form of examination Mal-practices, what you get is discrimination from some government establishments. It is important to note that, Open University is a federal university, accredited by the same National University Commission which accredited other institutions in the country. For no reason should her graduate be sidelined,as this would discourage prospective students from enrolling in the institution,thus defeating the purpose for which it was created.

We have seen all over the world that graduates of Open Universities are accorded front seat roll, they are seen as people who deserve first class treatment. Nigeria shouldn’t ignorantly relegate this noble institution and its distinguish graduates, they cannot be relegated. Many students from this university feel pained when they see other graduates in the youth corps uniform moving about their places of assignment. They wish that one day, it would be them in those uniforms, holding their head high in service to their fatherland, but this dream seems to be under threat, as graduates after graduates, the discrimination yet continues. I therefore call on those in authority to desist from this discrimination, failure of which the students would be forced to drag the NYSC to court for legal redress. Finally, we are aware that the president have the power to resolve this issues without further delay, as the NYSC act states that, the President, Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces may, by Order published it, the Gazette, extend the application of the provisions of subsection (1) of this section to other categories of Nigerians who shall have obtained such diplomas, certificates or other qualifications as may "be prescribed in the Order from universities, colleges and other institutions of higher learning within or outside Nigeria, and the Order may specify different dates for call-up in relation to different categories of those affected or to be affected by the Order. Therefore, the president should as a matter of urgency, intervene to correct this unjustifiable exclusion of Open university graduates from National Youth Service.

Abdulrazaq O Hamzat Congress of Noun Students

If this how you write your project, I wonder how you pass

1 Like

Re: Open University: Barred From Serving The Nation by Crownofwealth(m): 5:23pm On May 10, 2015
LaRoyalHighness:
And law school?.. Learnt they refused to admit students from NOUN.
they (NOUN) do not meet the requirements set by the Council of Legal Education and the Legal Practitioners Act.that is while they are prevented from going to law sch.furthermore. law cannot be read on a part time basis.its a professional course. again most law faculties of NOUN are poorly equipped.no good libraries and moot court.
Re: Open University: Barred From Serving The Nation by Nobody: 5:24pm On May 10, 2015
Obasanjo went to that school, did you expect him to go for service ?

The school was created during his tenure to encourage adult literacy among workers/civil servants but a good look at it today shows that it has been hijacked by lazy students who prefer to write the entrance examination rather than facing the rigours of Jamb and post-ume.

This is exactly why part-time students were barred from service thereby adding to the rise in the quality of education in Nigeria. The simple truth is that barring those lazy under 20 years in open university will encourage them to read and go for a conventional university if they know that the NYSC certificate is a pre-requisite for employment in Nigeria.

We shouldn't let sentiment erode standards in our educational system.

5 Likes

Re: Open University: Barred From Serving The Nation by senier007(m): 5:24pm On May 10, 2015
That school is an abuse of our educational system, besides, the school is meant for working class not fresh student, u don't have class, no exams hall, no experiment, no test only assignment that is done over the Internet, I went 2ru university and I know what it means to study in nigeria, if such student are allowed to go NYSC then home-schooling graduates too can go for NYSC, even from op presentation you know they aren't upto standard, he fail to bring out the key point and summarise the text book given to him by his part time lecturer. Abeg join better school like everyone else

3 Likes

Re: Open University: Barred From Serving The Nation by Crownofwealth(m): 5:25pm On May 10, 2015
@OP have u read the NYSC byelaws?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Aarinola Olaiya, Obafemi Awolowo University Best Graduating Student / 5-Year-Old Boy Drowns During Swimming Lesson Organised By His School In Lagos / OOU Lecturer Falls While Trying To Give A Practical Explanation (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.