Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,839 members, 7,810,226 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:54 AM

Share Your Most Tedious Journey Ever - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Share Your Most Tedious Journey Ever (13609 Views)

The Journey Of A Photoblogger Into The Slum Of Ilaje-Bariga Lagos / My Journey Across West Africa...from A Ghanaian Traveler / Journey To Waterside (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Share Your Most Tedious Journey Ever by ademega(m): 11:49pm On May 12, 2015
Starieangel:
beat me!I served in adamawa too.....had to pass tru 12 states frm lagos to get dere.....well,If I dnt serve my father'sland,who will!?
Where did you served in Adamawa ? Mine was mahia LG.
Re: Share Your Most Tedious Journey Ever by Sleekyshuga(f): 11:50pm On May 12, 2015
Hehehehe...

I think that was in 2008.. It was during the holiday period (3rd term holiday to be precise).. I've always wished to travel far, cos I thought it's more fun grin, and at such, I started making plans on which aunt/uncle to visit.

At the end, I settled for an aunt (dad's elder sister) who is based in Kaduna, Zaria..

Dad told me how far, and boring the journey would be but I didn't pay attention. All I was after was the adventure, and the fun of traveling alone.

On that fateful day night, we started our journey from Port Harcourt to Zaria cheesy.

LOL! It wasn't funny one bit. I was so B.O.R.E.D. I read novels, and got tired of reading. My ass did hurt me from sitting for so long. At one point in time, I tend to stand up to ease the pains, and allow a free flow of blood.

My seat mate was a case; sleeping and falling on me, with saliva drooling from his mouth cheesy cheesy..

I slept and woke up several times, and kept wishing I never embarked on such journey..

After the holiday, when it was time to come back, I had to plead with my aunt to merge me with someone who was hitting PH back grin
Re: Share Your Most Tedious Journey Ever by spartoo: 11:56pm On May 12, 2015
snoopy1:
Iyana - ipaja 2 oshodi, very very far........try it

I dnt kno wat u r talking about cos I stay at iyana ipaja
Re: Share Your Most Tedious Journey Ever by highmood(m): 11:59pm On May 12, 2015
First it was during my NYSC years oh! Jesus!!! We were three posted to a village called Idema, Ogbia LGA of Bayelsa state. There are only two routes, the water or a thick forest. The boat do not come all the time because of lack of passengers so since we were expected to get to our PPA for our principal to append his signature, we decided to take a bike for an unknown risky adventure. The route was were pipelines from oloibiri(first oil well) were connected to flow stations in Portharcout. After a 30mins ride, the bike broke down in the middle of a thick forest; no man, no house, no farm land, no water, no food, just thick trees, shrubs and wild noises. Painfully, rather than the bike riding us, we started pushing the bike to where we do not know. Out of pity,I continue helping the bike man who was exhausted,but my colleague who was tired also left us to seek his way forward. I pray non of you experience this. As long as I did not die on that adventure and boat rides, I will never die in any accident. To cut, the story short, we got to the community after the principal came to our rescue. It was a community which was just one way in and one way out. After we agreed to stay and serve, the principal was very happy. But few months into our service year, we got to know that there was a wild, crazy man(beast) from that community living in that forest. The wild man during our service year, raped a farmer's wife from another community and took her to his bush house. This almost resulted to a breakdown of law btw the two communities. But in all, we enjoyed the service because we were giving the best accommodation in a militant's mansion, we were giving food items especially isam(periwinkle) so much cos they don't sell it. We were giving the best of thier ...(fill in the dots) but we no....and they gave us cloths, items and about #20,000 each and wished we do not go.
the other is the "movement of the people" I took today from Apapa to Lagos island by foot. Gosh!! I haven't had that in my life.

1 Like

Re: Share Your Most Tedious Journey Ever by Starieangel(f): 11:59pm On May 12, 2015
ademega:

Where did you served in Adamawa ? Mine was mahia LG.
hong LG.........a village called kalaa.....on ur way to mubi/michika.....2012/2013 wen GEJ disconnected all means of communication well xcpt for letter writing which I ended up doin so my family wud no am still alive.....geez!evn d lodge I lived in has bin destroyed tnx to d bokoheads!
Re: Share Your Most Tedious Journey Ever by Saucekide25(m): 12:06am On May 13, 2015
Observing
Re: Share Your Most Tedious Journey Ever by spartoo: 12:07am On May 13, 2015
IamforGod:
ah swear that traffic is madt!
...that is only every morning
Re: Share Your Most Tedious Journey Ever by InZA: 12:16am On May 13, 2015
Interesting read!!! gringrin

I can't start quoting every body's story I found interesting.

I think most stressful journeys were due to NYSC....and mine was not different. Lagos to Jigawa!... Smh

Never in my life again, not even by air or even if it's by disappearing and appearing. Nothing will make me step my foot in Jigawa again.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Share Your Most Tedious Journey Ever by Helkayklassic(m): 12:30am On May 13, 2015
snoopy1:
Iyana - ipaja 2 oshodi, very very far........try it

With the help of cement traffic...Just like travelling out of the country.
Re: Share Your Most Tedious Journey Ever by Jummyjagz(f): 12:42am On May 13, 2015
Travelled 2 osogbo ireepoly precisely to see ma bf nd 1 other guy nd almost got raped in dah process
dah dae ended up being d worst dae of ma life. .
Re: Share Your Most Tedious Journey Ever by Jaypea98: 12:51am On May 13, 2015
ojosegun2011:
My most tideous journey was sometimes around August 2007 when Armed robbers blocked Lokoja -Okene Road on my way to Abuja and we all scampered for safety and Ilied down on top of a python that had swallowed a ram with two big horns. About four other passengers were hiding behind a rock resting on a log of wood unknown to us that it was a python until our weights was disturbing it and it flung us like sticks and rabbled round the whole cliff. The robbers that were chasing us eventually ran together for safety with us back to the main road on sighting the massive reptile which was moving towards a nearby river with two visible horns in its mouth. Two female passengers on sighting the python eventually fainted and were carried back to the road. That was my most harrowing travelling experience ever. The robbers ran away and we later discovered that they were robbing with only one real gone with few bullets and many toy guns and ordinary woods carved and painted like guns. They escaped into the nearby bush and disappeared.
Whatttttt !!!!!!!! Thank God for your life bro.
Re: Share Your Most Tedious Journey Ever by Nobody: 1:15am On May 13, 2015
Helkayklassic:

With the help of cement traffic...Just like travelling out of the country.
Lolz
Re: Share Your Most Tedious Journey Ever by Nobody: 5:15am On May 13, 2015
I'm late, but I'd like to share.
In 2008 having just resumed school I wanted so much to go and see my offshore boyfriend in Port Harcourt. I didn't call him or notify him. I just finished registration and told my friends I was off. So I got to the park and there was no direct PH bus. I was asked to go to Ankpa and I did. Got a bus that stopped in Enugu, boarded another going to Aba, then finally got the PH one at 7pm.
All these time, my mama no know say I dey road o.
We got to Eleme like past 9, my battery has died, I only remembered that from oil mill I'll take cab to No 9. Canon Ndu.

I confidently took a cab and got to the place to find out that he had moved. like, he no linger lives there. In one corner of the compound was a structure looking like a shrine and I didn't remember ever seeing it on previous visits. My head doubled in size.

I moonwalked out of the compound and asked a woman selling in a kiosk his whereabouts and she said he had moved to Rumomasi or so. See as I burst cry. All these like past 10.00pm o. And my mom would have been praying that God should guide her daughter in school.

She pitied me and took to a place to get cab. Luckily for me he just got back 3 days earlier. I for just enter one chance. Called my mom as soon as I charged my phone and she warned me never to try such again.
RIP Ola dear.

5 Likes

Re: Share Your Most Tedious Journey Ever by JustCalMeDBoss(m): 7:11am On May 13, 2015
Mine was around 2009 when I was boarding an enkene dili chukwu bus from jibowu to abuja I was already sitted when a pregnant woman approached me that I should please lap her son. I pitied the woman and did so. The boy was so stubborn that I almost withdrew my help during the journey. But as an egba boy we don't quit I persevered till the end.

3 Likes

Re: Share Your Most Tedious Journey Ever by komek(m): 7:21am On May 13, 2015
mollytinrox:
I'm late, but I'd like to share.
In 2008 having just resumed school I wanted so much to go and see my offshore boyfriend in Port Harcourt. I didn't call him or notify him. I just finished registration and told my friends I was off. So I got to the park and there was no direct PH bus. I was asked to go to Ankpa and I did. Got a bus that stopped in Enugu, boarded another going to Aba, then finally got the PH one at 7pm.
All these time, my mama no know say I dey road o.
We got to Eleme like past 9, my battery has died, I only remembered that from oil mill I'll take cab to No 9. Canon Ndu.

I confidently took a cab and got to the place to find out that he had moved. like, he no linger lives there. In one corner of the compound was a structure looking like a shrine and I didn't remember ever seeing it on previous visits. My head doubled in size.

I moonwalked out of the compound and asked a woman selling in a kiosk his whereabouts and she said he had moved to Rumomasi or so. See as I burst cry. All these like past 10.00pm o. And my mom would have been praying that God should guide her daughter in school.

She pitied me and took to a place to get cab. Luckily for me he just got back 3 days earlier. I for just enter one chance. Called my mom as soon as I charged my phone and she warned me never to try such again.
RIP Ola dear.

One Lady made this mistake some yrs back and paid dearly for it.
Re: Share Your Most Tedious Journey Ever by grandstar(m): 7:52am On May 13, 2015
My most tedious journey was also during my Youth Service.

I was posted to Bauchi and I did not know which bus to take. I took Kano bus from Lagos in the evening and landed in Kano in the morning. Thereafter , I visited a friend in Kano before I took a bus to Bauchi.

The bus I took was a rickety one as there were only two buses loading and the second bus would take a very long time. In retrospect, I probably should have waited.

I sat in front beside the driver. I was the only one in front. The reason why was the engine was just under the seat beside the driver- the seat in between the driver and the passenger in front beside the window

The journey started and all was well initially until about an hour into the journey. The driver brought out water, lifted the seat beside me and poured water into the hot engine. He must have repeated this about 6 more times during the journey. This did not bother me much but it can be quite disheartening.

What really got to me was the heat in the North and the snail speed of the vehicle. The sun was beating on me badly as I was beside the window and could not move further in or else I'd be seating on the engine which was probably much hotter!

Now this heat made me very thirsty and I scanned everywhere for water to buy along the road. There was none! No pure water hawker anywhere in site! I was seeing triple. I could not understand. This was around November/December.

I now saw some sugar cane for sale and I instinctively bought some. They were life savers. The juice in them served as water! I now understood why the core Northerners have a love for sugar cane. You understand people better when you live among-st them.

The sugarcane took very good care of the thirst. Unfortunately, it did nothing to increase the speed of the jalopy I was in. A journey of probably 3 hours took us 6hours. Eventually I got to my destination safely. I got to my Orientation Camp in Wailo late in the evening. I was relieved!

This has nothing to do with the experience above.

I was travelling from Lagos to Jos during my service enroute to Bauchi. Around Kafanchan which is in Kaduna, there was a man walking beside the road with his 2 dogs. All of a sudden, the driver began driving close to the man and in the blink of an eye, I heard the bus make two galloping noises in quick succession. Guess what? He had ran over one of the man's dogs and sped off.

We all started cursing the driver but he was just laughing gleefully. The driver was a Muslim Northerner and the dog owners of South Kaduna are adherents of Christendom. Does it come as a surprise that these areas are evry volatile?

2 Likes

Re: Share Your Most Tedious Journey Ever by Ayo25: 8:07am On May 13, 2015
ojosegun2011:
My most tideous journey was sometimes around August 2007 when Armed robbers blocked Lokoja -Okene Road on my way to Abuja and we all scampered for safety and Ilied down on top of a python that had swallowed a ram with two big horns. About four other passengers were hiding behind a rock resting on a log of wood unknown to us that it was a python until our weights was disturbing it and it flung us like sticks and rabbled round the whole cliff. The robbers that were chasing us eventually ran together for safety with us back to the main road on sighting the massive reptile which was moving towards a nearby river with two visible horns in its mouth. Two female passengers on sighting the python eventually fainted and were carried back to the road. That was my most harrowing travelling experience ever. The robbers ran away and we later discovered that they were robbing with only one real gone with few bullets and many toy guns and ordinary woods carved and painted like guns. They escaped into the nearby bush and disappeared.
This one got me laughing really hard. Sorry for the experience though.
Re: Share Your Most Tedious Journey Ever by Hero10001: 8:14am On May 13, 2015
(NYSC Tourism week)
Trekking like a cow from Kagoro, Kaura Lg to Plateau, Jos via Kagoro hills.
We ran out of water and foods.
The gals cried so much and were embittered.
The real palaver came when we met some canabis farmer in the wilderness..
.. They got no water but canabis-soaked palmwine did the job.
We just gushed it down our throats to quench the thirst not minding the dangers.
Some went in trans, some fainted, others were just laughing, i felt like a hungry lion.. It was maddening!
All thanks to my NYSC Jungle Boot. It tranpled on anything.

1 Like

Re: Share Your Most Tedious Journey Ever by deathwing(m): 9:18am On May 13, 2015
ojosegun2011:

OH MY GOD!!! I read this out loud at my office and we had a good laugh. The robbers running away with you guys is funny as hell!!
Re: Share Your Most Tedious Journey Ever by symbianDON(m): 9:38am On May 13, 2015
I once had to embark on an official trip from Minna to Mubi. at a point I could have sworn that the driver had missed the way and we had crossed into Cameroon grin it was that day I appreciated the sheer size off Nigeria. we left Minna at about 5am and arrived mubi at around 11pm!!
Re: Share Your Most Tedious Journey Ever by LEXYCOM: 10:50am On May 13, 2015
I boarded a luxurious bus from lagos ( the young) to Kano state......we left lagos by 7pm. We never even reach ibadan, na so I begin get running stomach with stolling......chai, my stomach just dey grumble aloud and I just dey mess ........the driver could not stop because it was risky........I just needed to shit but no way....my brethren, I was in this condition for over 9 hrs...I thought I was going to die that day because I was sweating and also became very weak........luckily for me, our bus got spoilt at koji state, I jumped out immediatly only to pass out water water shit .....................
Re: Share Your Most Tedious Journey Ever by Osinitu(m): 2:40pm On May 13, 2015
lonelydora:
Most tedious: Port Harcourt to Birnin-Kebbi, Kebbi State.

Farthest: Port Harcourt to Illela, Sokoto
Please how did you embark on your journey from PH to birnin Kebbi I want to travel from PH to BK but I'm confused on how to go abt it... Thanks
Re: Share Your Most Tedious Journey Ever by Nobody: 3:29pm On May 13, 2015
olu4life:
Its always service year na. Lemme share mine

I was posted to Kebbi State. Started calling relatives that were based in d North to ask for directions on getting a bus to Kebbi, even had to Download Nigeria Map to know where Kebbi was situated.
Later booked ticket at Iddo Garage d sunday before camp. D-day of leaving lagos, I was already at Iddo garage by 4pm with my pops. D bus was to leave by 8pm, Young Shall Grow Luxurious bus.
What spoilt d whole show was d beans I ate in d morning which my mum clearly warned me not to.. Boarded d bus by 7pm, bought rice at d garage and started eating. I no know I dey write letter to trouble.
Bus took off by 8pm, an hour later, wahala started. Felt a rumble in my tummy. We were stuck in traffic, yet to reach Berger o. On getting to Lag-Ib Express I cldnt hold it any longer. Had to tell my seat partner, cos I chldnt seat again. He advised me to go meet the pilot (driver). Omo shame no gree me go. When we were abt reachin redeem camp, I rushed to d front nd notified d driver my emergency problem. Driver said he cldnt stop cos of thieves on d highway bla bla and I have to chill till we get to toll gate. I almost fainted.

A woman seated in front called me saying she has flagyl and all. I collected it but told her d drug is so useless rite now cos it wont push it back in. I kept squatting and standing till we got to toll gate. On reaching toll gate, I flew like my pant was on fire Not knowing I was heading for another trouble at toll gate. I almost died with what happened next.

Omo make I pause here.... Want me to complete d story

come and complete it ooo
Re: Share Your Most Tedious Journey Ever by Nobody: 4:47pm On May 13, 2015
Mine was during my service year.

I had to embark on a journey from Akungba-Akoko to Lagos because I had an interview the following day and I didnt want to miss it for any reason.

I boarded a vehicle around 10am in front of Adekunle Ajasin University Campus gate. I did this to save both money and time....(a decision i regretted taking later). I met only 2 passengers in the vehicle.

On getting to Owo (30 mins journey), the driver turned around and started heading towards Akungba because he needed more passengers. At that point, I decided to ask for my t-fare, only for the nigga to tell me he wouldn't refund my money. That was how we kept looking for passengers till 12pm before we finally embarked on our journey.

The bus was moving slowly. I was already suspecting that it was faulty. About 2 hours later, the driver parked. He bent down to check something under the vehicle. Then he brought out some tools to do some repairs. We spent close to 2 hours there. We were angry, tired and hungry. He finally fixed it and we continued our journey. 30 minutes later, he started searching for his fone. Then he remembered that he left it under the vehicle. That was how we had to turn back. By the time we got back there, someone had taken the phone. We called and the guy told us to come to Akure to take the phone. I almost started crying(as old as i am..lol)..

We spent some minutes there, trying to decide what to do. We persuaded him that he should collect the phone wheneva he would return to Ondo state. He finally agreed. It was already getting to 5pm by then. We continued our journey. The remaining part of the journey was uneventful except for the heavy traffic around redemption camp.

I finally got to Lagos around 10pm. That was how a journey of 5 hours took 12 hours!!! :

3 Likes

Re: Share Your Most Tedious Journey Ever by F22RAPTOR(m): 4:56pm On May 13, 2015
PH to Sokoto and back in 2 days...damn undecided
Re: Share Your Most Tedious Journey Ever by Nobody: 5:26pm On May 13, 2015
was posted to benue state for Nysc.. that was the first longest 13hours journey for the first time of my life from Ibadan... ondo was the only far place I usually frequent... despite I was told that the journey Nobi beans I tot it was a lie... took benue links from Ibadan.. I felt very much comfortable cos we were going Tru ondo Becos Na familiar road. we got to akure and the driver stopped at a particular place where drivers used to eat when embarking on such a long journey...
my face started getting serious when the driver finished eating and a lady asked him that are we almost there.. hahahaha hah... the driver laffed and said we Neva even start that from Ibadan to ondo was just a warm up.. Nobi play oo.. we sha continued passed akungba. akoko. oka..

by noon we entered Kogi. that was when I was restless via it was as if Kogi had no end at all.. that feeling when you passed Tru a town and then continue with the sighting of bushes and tree cos you think you have finally left the town behind.. Lolzz. it was a lie oo.. it was like Kogi was divided in like 5 parts cos from bush we go enter anoda town again and when you check any address you will still see Kogi state... spent more than 4hours going Tru Kogi on and off... by then we were already begging the driver to stop that we need to stopped and get down even if it was for just 5mins... twas a relieve when we finally saw welcome to benue sign.. only for the driver to laugh again and said we have abt four hours to go... we tot he was joking. by that time my knees were already paining me due to the long sitting position.. I wished I had sat at the front with the driver.. we got to the main town makurdi not knowing that the camp was still very much far ahead... we started shouting that we want to ease ourselves nah.. until the driver stopped at a busy location like that.. mehn... I couldnt even walk properly. everyone was happy.. we were reluctant to continue the journey again.. funny thing was we started asking people passing by that they shud be sincere with us that how far was Gboko and wannune.. cos the camp was located at wannune.. dia answers were not far. not far... Lolzz.. later spent more than an hour before getting to camp.. someone had to help me with my bag cos I couldn't walk properly...

1 Like

Re: Share Your Most Tedious Journey Ever by lonelydora: 6:06pm On May 13, 2015
Osinitu:
Please how did you embark on your journey from PH to birnin Kebbi I want to travel from PH to BK but I'm confused on how to go abt it... Thanks

Are you driving?
Re: Share Your Most Tedious Journey Ever by Nobody: 6:12pm On May 13, 2015
shegsrules:

Akwanga I guess before forest. Once in forest ur in jos already just few kilometres to jos south

Yes! Akwanga!!
Thanks!!!
Re: Share Your Most Tedious Journey Ever by Thok(m): 6:59pm On May 13, 2015
Enyogbe:

grin grin .. thank your stars you didn't leave from Lagos, which is a regular 12-15 hrs. I travel quite often from Benue to Lagos. one thing is I enjoy long travels.
By the way, How is serving? Hope you're enjoying all want Benue has to offer?.
Re: Share Your Most Tedious Journey Ever by Osinitu(m): 8:01pm On May 13, 2015
lonelydora:

U
Are you driving?
No, public transport
Re: Share Your Most Tedious Journey Ever by lonelydora: 9:11pm On May 13, 2015
Osinitu:
No, public transport
Go to Abuja(Jabi) or Minna (Minna garage), whichever is available where you are. Then enter car going to Kebbi direct. It's about 7 hours from Abuja.

Route is Abuja - Minna - Kontangora - Zuru - Jega - Birnin Kebbi.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Usman Danfodiyo university final year student dies in fatal accident / Bus From Lagos To Ibadan / Petrol Tanker Catches Fire On Lagos-ibadan Expressway

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.