Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,088 members, 7,818,265 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:27 AM

Hausa/fulani Cattle Herdsmen Are Fast Assuming The Status Of Terrorists - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Hausa/fulani Cattle Herdsmen Are Fast Assuming The Status Of Terrorists (2046 Views)

Fulani Cattle Breeders List Condition For Peace In Southern Kaduna / Secretary Of Cattle Herdsmen On Channels TV Live / Military Releases Video Of Terrorists Bombardment (video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hausa/fulani Cattle Herdsmen Are Fast Assuming The Status Of Terrorists by teufelein(f): 5:16am On May 12, 2015
[size=13pt]Hausa/Fulani cattle herdsmen are fast assuming the status of terrorists[/size]

Tola-Adeniyi-2015 4 510x350The Fulani cattle herdsmen are fast assuming the status of terrorists. And the authorities that ought to have put them in check have continued to turn a blind eye. The unspeakable barbarism of these wandering hoodlums is highly intolerable, and has no place in a civilised world.

Let us call a spade a spade. The Fulani cattle men – who have wreaked and continued to wreak havoc all over Nigeria, especially in North-Central, the South-East, South-South and South-West regions of the country – must be checkmated before they plunge Nigeria into a full-blown inter-ethnic war.

A friend – a renowned Professor of History and International Relations who also doubles as a veteran diplomat, having served in more than two grade one countries – told me that the greatest threat to Nigeria’s corporate existence is not Boko Haram, but the rampaging Fulani herdsmen! According to him, three major international intelligence outfits have rated the terrorism of the Fulani herdsmen over and above Boko Haram and the horrifyingly and sophisticatedly armed Niger Delta militants. The horrendous villainy of the Fulani herdsmen lacks logic. Here is a murderous group of men who hide under the shade of cattle-tending to invade other people’s land and property and top such thievery with wanton attacks on the farm owners. It simply does not make sense that a group of Nigerians, armed to the teeth, will trespass on other people’s legitimate source of livelihood, and after ruining the victim’s farm produce will go ahead to kill the victim!

This columnist has written over 10 articles on the dastardly activities of the Fulani cattlemen, pleading with the Federal Government to take action, but all to no avail. Every now and again we are confronted with terrible news of the carnage caused by this lawless group on innocent farmers in south-western states, and in other regions already mentioned, and in most instances more than 100 lives are wasted by the cruelty of these unfeeling and conscienceless hoodlums.

Some uncharitable commentators have opined that the real reason why the Fulani herdsmen have continued to wax stronger is because most of the leadership members of the security and law enforcement agents who are expected to curb the notoriety of the Fulani marauders are also of the same ethnic stock!

It is actually mind-boggling that despite the visible horrors regularly inflicted on sections of the Nigerian populace by the lawless Fulani herdsmen, security agents appear to be condoning these horrors. I believe that if some of these Fulani herdsmen murderers have been arrested, tried, convicted and executed for the murders they committed, the obvious impunity these reckless men enjoy would have been eroded. Nigeria cannot continue to ignore the serious damage the Fulani cattlemen are doing to her citizens and her international image.

Come to think of it! Is Nigeria the only country breeding and managing cattle? Are we the people of Nigeria the only human beings eating beef? Don’t other countries of the world have cattle, sheep and goats? Something must be seriously wrong with us and some of our outdated traditions and cultures. I spent months in Australia in 1991 and I can confirm that I did not see a single cow roaming the streets. And yet, Australia breeds about 10 times the heads of cattle bred in Nigeria!

I am sick and tired of the silly argument that the Fulani are by nature a wandering and nomadic pastoral people. If the argument were to hold, how come the same Fulani ethnic group have produced some of the most brilliant men and women in the world? Dr Tahir, a former minister, made a first-class honours degree in one of the best universities overseas. Several friends of mine who are of the Fulani stock are among the best minds on earth. Why are they not Cyprian Ekwensi’s ‘sokugos’?

And in any case, even if anyone was to raise and rear cattle, must such person trespass on other people’s property? Must they kill people whose crops their cattle had vandalised? Must such person or persons carry AK47 guns? Is AK47 the traditional stick for directing cattle!

As far back as 1983 when Engr (Dr) Godwin Bakare introduced the Fodder Technology to Nigeria, and my personal foray into the business after visiting Spain in 1984 to meet with the masters of the technology, we have been making serious efforts to get governors of the 19 Northern Nigeria states interested in this miracle cure for the wandering Fulani cattlemen. With the fodder, any amount of grass needed by cattle can be home-grown. The Fulani herdsmen will not need to travel a yard out of their locality to feed their cattle. The federal and state governments of the zones producing cattle should acquire large expanse of lands and erect fodder fields to cater for cattle and other domestic animals. Grazing can now be done under a canopy!

I am sure that agriculture experts will have several other options that the federal and state governments can explore to put an end to the dangerous wandering of the Fulani herdsmen.

It must be emphasised that the patience of many ethnic groups and geographical zones that have continued to bear the brunt of the Fulani herdsmen’s callousness is coming to an end. This notice must be taken seriously before the suffering villagers in Abakaliki, in some towns in Akwa Ibom and in many places in Plateau and Benue take up arms and resort to fighting back. No group of Nigerians have a monopoly of violence.

And let it not be said that the nefarious activities of the Fulani herdsmen are part of a hidden agenda! As they say in Yoruba on the Bond FM, Koko Inu Iwe Iroyin programme: “If someone is being viciously beaten and a leader who is in position to stop the beating refuses to do so, it can be deduced that the leader is indirectly involved in the beating!”

Someone must take decisive action to stop the daring plunder, which the Fulani herdsmen have continued to impose on the innocent victims whose farmlands they recklessly vandalise.

There is no place for Stone Age tradition in Nigeria. And there is no more space for reckless impunity. We are about to end political and economic/financial impunities. We must also end the Fulani herdsmen’s impunity.

Nigerian security and law enforcement agencies must face the reality and accept that the Fulani herdsmen constitute a greater danger to Nigeria’s corporate existence than Boko Haram!

It is my prayer that the souls of the innocent men and women cruelly sent to their untimely graves by the Fulani cattlemen’s barbarity rest in peace.

And may it please Olodumare to give our leaders the wisdom and political will to put an end to the Fulani herdsmen’s terrorism.

Source News Express

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hausa/fulani Cattle Herdsmen Are Fast Assuming The Status Of Terrorists by younghartz(m): 5:29am On May 12, 2015
PresIdent-elect ? Fulani? shocked

In other news FTC.....7times in a row in 2days grin
Re: Hausa/fulani Cattle Herdsmen Are Fast Assuming The Status Of Terrorists by olaideeeedris(m): 5:33am On May 12, 2015
Those people are fast becoming more dangerous than Book Haram. They hack people to death at will... I just hope GMB will find solution to it
Re: Hausa/fulani Cattle Herdsmen Are Fast Assuming The Status Of Terrorists by mrborntodoit: 5:37am On May 12, 2015
They are already terrorists, they kill and maim without remorse . To worsen the situation , our president-elect is a Fulani cattle fre*k shocked

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hausa/fulani Cattle Herdsmen Are Fast Assuming The Status Of Terrorists by teufelein(f): 6:02am On May 12, 2015
frontpage...

Cc:lalasticlala cc:ishilove
Re: Hausa/fulani Cattle Herdsmen Are Fast Assuming The Status Of Terrorists by ZKOSOSO(m): 6:28am On May 12, 2015
They are actually BOKOHARAMS in coded regalia of ordinary cattle herdsmen!

Same objective with bokoharam- chase all infidels from west africa especially Middlebelt and South of Nigeria then take their land and women!

Establish islamic worship much later after weakening the communities of their victims then process to the next village and do same. Until the land is fully in hausafulani control.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Hausa/fulani Cattle Herdsmen Are Fast Assuming The Status Of Terrorists by teufelein(f): 8:39am On May 12, 2015
...more facts are coming out from the zoo aka nigeria...how low can a people of the zoo nigeria fall to please the worst creature on this earth..criminals on the power!
Is Mallam Buhari aka Buhari not only a fraudulent Jihadist/Liar but also a Paedophile -Facts are sacred!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hausa/fulani Cattle Herdsmen Are Fast Assuming The Status Of Terrorists by Yujin(m): 8:42am On May 12, 2015
This is what I've been shouting about for years now but only few pay attention. Its quite surprising that our well known loquacious media failed to extensively write against their evils. These groups of marauders in my estimation are worst than boko haram. They have the support of men in government both political and in the military. These people are actually not majorly herdsmen as their mode of operations show a well trained execution of their barbaric acts. Unlike boko haram they take no prisoners- a point to be well noted. All is game for them and this happens under the cover of the army. They wreak havoc and when soldiers are deployed still go ahead to kill some security personnel and this action will be turned around and blamed on the indigenes of the locality. More soldiers will then be moved in and whole communities will be wiped out in a purported revenge mission by the army. These have been going on in the middle belt for over a decade. These guys are worst than terrorists in that they mask their intentions so well. Even politicians from their stock are lobbying for them to be given legitimate occupation of other peoples ancestral lands all in the guise of grazing routes all over Nigeria. Some of these guys are even foreigners from neighbouring countries. It is quite shameful that the people of Nigeria who pride themselves as enlightened and sophisticated become dumb when this issue is presented to them. No group of people have taken it upon themselves to create a strong awareness against this wickedness happening in more than half the size of Nigeria. Communities are wiped out and occupied by these same usurpers of land and no one is speaking up. I guess we are all under a spell. I as an Igbo man say that any Igbo community which has been a victim of such attacks and couldn't track and destroy these attackers should be wiped out. If you don't have the logistics to do that why not reach out to your neighbouring communities for assistance? They are not spirits and we are not cowards. Don't give any chance to oppressors especially in your ancestral lands. Don't wait for the Nigerian army as they their shield most times.
Now that their grand patron is the president of Nigeria what do you expect? An upsurge of course. The worst you can think of about all these is that they are normal clashes. When something goes beyond a region then it is a well coordinated plan. If it is just a usual herder/farmers clash why then are whole communities wiped out women and babies inclusive? Why their community leaders are holding peace and reconciliation meeting with the victims their militias are wrecking more havoc while their politicians are trying to legitimize their occupied territories as grazing route. Only a daft person will not see the game plan from plateau and kaduna down through nassarawa and benue. Unfortunately igboland is impregnable. We are watching.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hausa/fulani Cattle Herdsmen Are Fast Assuming The Status Of Terrorists by Nobody: 8:55am On May 12, 2015
This article was not written nor posted by Noblezone, the "Hater" of the North and the Fulanis.

For daring to speak out in the midst of silence and hypocrisy of Nigerians, over the menace Fulani Herdsmen, I was called several names.

Like I have said somewhere else, their father Usman Dan Fodio was a terrorists!
We studied him as one of our "heroes" in our primary school history!

Honestly, the violent Fulanis is one of the reasons I want us to draw our boundaries.

We can either do the needful now or wait till we are cut down with the "Sword of Mohamed"!

I rest my case.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hausa/fulani Cattle Herdsmen Are Fast Assuming The Status Of Terrorists by Chiaka(f): 9:55am On May 12, 2015
Government should do something about this mishap

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hausa/fulani Cattle Herdsmen Are Fast Assuming The Status Of Terrorists by Qmab: 10:30am On May 12, 2015
I'm amazed that at this modern day and age, acts such as normadic cattle rearing is still in existence, despite the fact that in my school, we have a whole college consisting of departments with professors, who are dedicated to feeding and well-being of ruminants animals.
And it's also very bad that there is increase in the rate at which this normadic men attack innocent Nigerians and not once did i hear it in the news that one of them was brought to justice. It's almost as if govt is deliberately turning deaf ears to it.

1 Like

Re: Hausa/fulani Cattle Herdsmen Are Fast Assuming The Status Of Terrorists by teufelein(f): 10:34am On May 12, 2015
Tiv People Oppose Grazing Land For Fulani Herdsmen On Homeland

It makes no sense to think that a purely immigration problem can be solved by an internal creation of grazing reserves. In comparative narrative, I see no rational nexus between stopping smuggling in of cocaine and creation of internal cocaine colonies across the country. Don’t you think establishment of such cocaine colonies would rather instigate more smuggling of the substance? This comparison pointedly illustrates what the government is trying to do. Setting up of grazing reserves “across the country” is certainly not the solution for arms and ammunition smuggling across our borders; it is securing of our borders that will do. If the leadership of immigration and other relevant security agencies has failed to stop smuggling and illegal entrance across our borders then the President should consider a change of leadership. It is outright stupidity to consider removing a rash on the hand by cutting off the hand. The establishment of grazing reserves, which would require taking away of land from indigenous communities, would create more bloody baths across Nigeria. Any government that has failed to secure the borders of a sovereign nation it is mandated to defend is irresponsible.

http://www.nigeriavillagesquare.com/articles/tiv-people-oppose-grazing-land-for-fulani-herdsmen-on-homeland.html
Re: Hausa/fulani Cattle Herdsmen Are Fast Assuming The Status Of Terrorists by Macelliot7(m): 10:45am On May 12, 2015
I don't know why the Yorubas envies the Igbo so much, whereas, the Fulani has done more harm to them...
'Afonja's (ilorin oba) saga comes to mind....

3 Likes

Re: Hausa/fulani Cattle Herdsmen Are Fast Assuming The Status Of Terrorists by Samunique(m): 10:47am On May 12, 2015
It always baffles me why a group of individuals will be wreaking havoc without provocation continuously as if it,s their right to kill and maim people and the govt will always turns a blind eye.

Anyway, let,s see what happens now that another cattle rearer is at the hem of affairs in Nigeria.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hausa/fulani Cattle Herdsmen Are Fast Assuming The Status Of Terrorists by zimoni(f): 10:58am On May 12, 2015
Some of those dudes are terrorists. Always creating chaos wherever they go.

2 Likes

Re: Hausa/fulani Cattle Herdsmen Are Fast Assuming The Status Of Terrorists by OreMI22: 12:02pm On May 12, 2015
[size=17pt]CONFAB approved a 50% derivation principle.What needs to happen now is a guerrilla warfare against oil pipelines, installations and personnel.[/size]

2 Likes

Re: Hausa/fulani Cattle Herdsmen Are Fast Assuming The Status Of Terrorists by teufelein(f): 10:12am On May 13, 2015
Paramount Ruler of Gwer West Local Government Area of Benue State, Chief Daniel Abomtse, on Tuesday lamented that Fulani herdsmen have allegedly sacked the Tor Tiv, Dr Alfred Torkula, from his palace.

Chief Abomtse made the allegation in Makurdi when he was paid a courtesy visit by the newly elected leadership of the Nigeria Union of Journalists, Benue State Council.

The traditional ruler of the Tiv nation hails from Guma LGA, one of the councils in the state worst hit by suspected Fulani herdsmen, where his family compound was razed last year.

According to Abomtse, "As I speak with you, Fulani insurgents have taken over the village of Tor Tiv. His Royal Majesty, Dr Alfred Akawe Torkula, can no longer attend burial and other functions in his community. They walk freely with guns and all I know is that the invasion is a conspiracy against Tiv people and Benue communities.

"These insurgents, who disguise as herders, confiscate everything belonging to our people; and if nothing urgently is done, it therefore means that Benue State, and by implication, Nigeria, is sitting on a keg of gun powder due to our strategic location".

Regretting that nine districts in his domain are currently occupied by the herdsmen, whom he noted were not "ordinary" nomads, the paramount ruler claimed, "these are trained snipers; they go around with sophisticated weapons and what we notice is that they are not the ordinary nomads we know.

"We are also of the opinion that the Governor of Nasarawa State, Tanko Al-Makura, be made to answer questions as the Chief Security Officer of the state from where these gunmen come into Benue," he declared.

http://dailypost.ng/2015/03/11/fulan...v-from-palace/
Re: Hausa/fulani Cattle Herdsmen Are Fast Assuming The Status Of Terrorists by asha80(m): 10:18am On May 13, 2015
teufelein:
Paramount Ruler of Gwer West Local Government Area of Benue State, Chief Daniel Abomtse, on Tuesday lamented that Fulani herdsmen have allegedly sacked the Tor Tiv, Dr Alfred Torkula, from his palace.

Chief Abomtse made the allegation in Makurdi when he was paid a courtesy visit by the newly elected leadership of the Nigeria Union of Journalists, Benue State Council.

The traditional ruler of the Tiv nation hails from Guma LGA, one of the councils in the state worst hit by suspected Fulani herdsmen, where his family compound was razed last year.

According to Abomtse, "As I speak with you, Fulani insurgents have taken over the village of Tor Tiv. His Royal Majesty, Dr Alfred Akawe Torkula, can no longer attend burial and other functions in his community. They walk freely with guns and all I know is that the invasion is a conspiracy against Tiv people and Benue communities.

"These insurgents, who disguise as herders, confiscate everything belonging to our people; and if nothing urgently is done, it therefore means that Benue State, and by implication, Nigeria, is sitting on a keg of gun powder due to our strategic location".

Regretting that nine districts in his domain are currently occupied by the herdsmen, whom he noted were not "ordinary" nomads, the paramount ruler claimed, "these are trained snipers; they go around with sophisticated weapons and what we notice is that they are not the ordinary nomads we know.

"We are also of the opinion that the Governor of Nasarawa State, Tanko Al-Makura, be made to answer questions as the Chief Security Officer of the state from where these gunmen come into Benue," he declared.

http://dailypost.ng/2015/03/11/fulan...v-from-palace/
this shit has really gotten real danm..tor tiv's place taken over?
Re: Hausa/fulani Cattle Herdsmen Are Fast Assuming The Status Of Terrorists by teufelein(f): 12:03am On May 15, 2015
Source http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/05/herdsmen-anambra-communities-in-cat-and-mouse-relationship/By Vincent Ujumadu

AWKA — HERDSMEN who have set up what looks like a permanent abode at the border town of Ugwuoba close to Awka, the Anambra State capital, have become a pain in the neck for the surrounding communities of Amansea, Utoko, Nibo and even the Awka Capital Territory as a result of the menace of their cattle on the farms in the area. Unfortunately, the affected communities appear to be scared of confronting the herdsmen who are often wielding sophisticated weapons while grazing on the people’s farmlands.
So far, the much the people did was speak in hushed tones and the herdsmen seem to be ready to face anybody who dare challenge them for destroying their crops.

Apart from the destruction of farmlands, the presence of the herdsmen at Ugwuoba has created a chaotic traffic situation in the area such that the dual carriage way has been reduced to almost half of one lane due to indiscriminate parking of trailers by drivers, most of who end up there and spend days after discharging their goods in parts of Anambra and Delta states.

An indigene of Amansea, Mr. Jacob Okoli said the menace of cattle on their farmlands has forced them to move across the Amansea River to farm since the herdsmen cannot ferry the cattle across for grazing. According to him, they had previously complained to their traditional ruler over the matter, adding that although meetings were held in that regard in the past, the herdsmen had continued with the destruction of the farms.

He said: “Initially we were driving them out of our farms, but we later noticed that the herdsmen acquired guns which they hung on their backs while grazing. This development frightened our people with the result that we had to abandon our farms close to the area they have converted as their new community at Ugwuoba. “We chose to ignore them because nobody confronts somebody with gun empty handed. We had wondered how the herdsmen acquire the guns they brandish, which they use to intimidate us on our farms.
Re: Hausa/fulani Cattle Herdsmen Are Fast Assuming The Status Of Terrorists by Nobody: 12:09am On May 15, 2015
Oga which Confab? Confab never did. In fact, the North and SW kicked against it.
OreMI22:
[size=17pt]CONFAB approved a 50% derivation principle.What needs to happen now is a guerrilla warfare against oil pipelines, installations and personnel.[/size]
Re: Hausa/fulani Cattle Herdsmen Are Fast Assuming The Status Of Terrorists by abduljabbar4(m): 1:05am On May 15, 2015
Why do you like associating Hausa with fulani. These are different tribes just like ibo and ijaw
Re: Hausa/fulani Cattle Herdsmen Are Fast Assuming The Status Of Terrorists by teufelein(f): 9:17am On May 17, 2015
[size=18pt]Pastor, 69 Christians[/size] ‘murdered in Plateau by Fulani Herdsmen

70 Christians have been reportedly murdered in Plateau State, including one pastor. The body count was said to have piled up after at least a half dozen attacks allegedly perpetrated by cattle herders. Herders frequently terrorize Christian farmers in Plateau, Bauchi, Kaduna, Taraba, Benue, among others.
The herdsmen regularly raid Christian villages opening up a hail of gunfire, burning homes and churches, and shooting their victims when they run outside to escape the fires.
“The jihadists, in their quest to eliminate Christians in Plateau State and their thirst for blood, have succeeded in killing Christians and burning their houses,” said Gyang, a local man whose full name is withheld to protect his safety.
The most deadly attack occurred on May 2 when herdsmen reportedly set fire to the Church of Christ in Nations (COCIN) located in Foron Town, Barkin Ladi Local Government Area (LGA), killing 27 Christians. The victims included Rev. Luka Gwom and a congregant named Pauline who was married just two weeks prior in the same church building.

- See more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/05/pastor-69-christians-murdered-in-plateau/#sthash.H4eHNNTH.dpuf
Re: Hausa/fulani Cattle Herdsmen Are Fast Assuming The Status Of Terrorists by teufelein(f): 7:47pm On May 26, 2015
[size=18pt]100 Massacred by brutal Fulani Herders in Benue[/size]

What appeared to be a major massacre took place on Sunday in Ukura, Gafa, Per and Tse-Gusa in Ukemgbiraghia Twarev Ward, Logo Local Government Area of Benue State when over 100 persons were killed by suspected Fulani herdsmen.

According to a resident of one of the communities, the suspected Fulani herders dressed in military uniforms, attacked the communities with sophisticated weapons, shooting anyone on sight including women and children.

“At the moment, a mass burial is taking place for the over 100 victims whose bodies have so far been recovered, most of whom were women, children and the elderly, because they are decomposing already.

“As we speak, a search for more bodies is still ongoing in the area because so many persons are still missing and unaccounted for,” he said.

Some of the communities attacked were host to internally displaced persons (IDPs) from previous attacks by the herdsmen, in the hometown of the state Governor, Gabriel Suswam.

Speaking with journalists, the Senior Special Assistant to Suswam on Media Affairs, Mr. Joseph Anawa, who hails from Logo, said: “Indeed over 100 people were killed last Sunday morning when heavily armed suspected Fulani herdsmen, some of whom were dressed in military uniform, stormed the communities from Kente in neighbouring Taraba State.

The incident drew condemnation from the paramount ruler of the area, Tor Sankera, Chief Terkura Suswam, who described the attacks as unfortunate.

He said he was collaborating with other traditional rulers in the area and the Fulani herdsmen with a view to finding lasting solutions to the problem.

The Benue State Police Commissioner, Hyacinth Dagala, said four persons were confirmed killed and that some people were speculating that over 20 to 25 persons were killed.

Dagala who appealed for calm, said a detachment of policemen had been dispatched to Logo local government area to maintain peace adding further that calm had returned to affected.....

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/100-massacred-by-suspected-fulani-herders-in-benue/210282/
Re: Hausa/fulani Cattle Herdsmen Are Fast Assuming The Status Of Terrorists by Frankenstein: 8:23pm On May 26, 2015
What efforts have been made to curtail the rampaging Fulani herdsmen? A systematic genocide is being carried out tactically on the people of north-central Nigeria by fellow Nigerians.

One Nigeria!
Re: Hausa/fulani Cattle Herdsmen Are Fast Assuming The Status Of Terrorists by teufelein(f): 8:00pm On Jun 08, 2015
no matter the lies the monkey elect Buhari aka buhari remains an almajiri, certificate forger, bokoharamist...no 2 ways about it, the silly foool, buhari was invited simply because of what germans hoped to get from the zoo aka nigeria, nobody takes you dark baboons and dark monkeys here as far as i'm concerned, serious. everywhere in germany people discuss Biafra.

the [size=13pt]gormless dullard jihadist elect Buhari aka almajiri president of the Zoo aka nigeria, buhari[/size]..

1 Like

Re: Hausa/fulani Cattle Herdsmen Are Fast Assuming The Status Of Terrorists by mikolo80: 9:32pm On Jun 08, 2015
teufelein:
[size=13pt]Hausa/Fulani cattle herdsmen are fast assuming the status of terrorists[/size]

Tola-Adeniyi-2015 4 510x350The Fulani cattle herdsmen are fast assuming the status of terrorists. And the authorities that ought to have put them in check have continued to turn a blind eye. The unspeakable barbarism of these wandering hoodlums is highly intolerable, and has no place in a civilised world.

Let us call a spade a spade. The Fulani cattle men – who have wreaked and continued to wreak havoc all over Nigeria, especially in North-Central, the South-East, South-South and South-West regions of the country – must be checkmated before they plunge Nigeria into a full-blown inter-ethnic war.

A friend – a renowned Professor of History and International Relations who also doubles as a veteran diplomat, having served in more than two grade one countries – told me that the greatest threat to Nigeria’s corporate existence is not Boko Haram, but the rampaging Fulani herdsmen! According to him, three major international intelligence outfits have rated the terrorism of the Fulani herdsmen over and above Boko Haram and the horrifyingly and sophisticatedly armed Niger Delta militants. The horrendous villainy of the Fulani herdsmen lacks logic. Here is a murderous group of men who hide under the shade of cattle-tending to invade other people’s land and property and top such thievery with wanton attacks on the farm owners. It simply does not make sense that a group of Nigerians, armed to the teeth, will trespass on other people’s legitimate source of livelihood, and after ruining the victim’s farm produce will go ahead to kill the victim!

This columnist has written over 10 articles on the dastardly activities of the Fulani cattlemen, pleading with the Federal Government to take action, but all to no avail. Every now and again we are confronted with terrible news of the carnage caused by this lawless group on innocent farmers in south-western states, and in other regions already mentioned, and in most instances more than 100 lives are wasted by the cruelty of these unfeeling and conscienceless hoodlums.

Some uncharitable commentators have opined that the real reason why the Fulani herdsmen have continued to wax stronger is because most of the leadership members of the security and law enforcement agents who are expected to curb the notoriety of the Fulani marauders are also of the same ethnic stock!

It is actually mind-boggling that despite the visible horrors regularly inflicted on sections of the Nigerian populace by the lawless Fulani herdsmen, security agents appear to be condoning these horrors. I believe that if some of these Fulani herdsmen murderers have been arrested, tried, convicted and executed for the murders they committed, the obvious impunity these reckless men enjoy would have been eroded. Nigeria cannot continue to ignore the serious damage the Fulani cattlemen are doing to her citizens and her international image.

Come to think of it! Is Nigeria the only country breeding and managing cattle? Are we the people of Nigeria the only human beings eating beef? Don’t other countries of the world have cattle, sheep and goats? Something must be seriously wrong with us and some of our outdated traditions and cultures. I spent months in Australia in 1991 and I can confirm that I did not see a single cow roaming the streets. And yet, Australia breeds about 10 times the heads of cattle bred in Nigeria!

I am sick and tired of the silly argument that the Fulani are by nature a wandering and nomadic pastoral people. If the argument were to hold, how come the same Fulani ethnic group have produced some of the most brilliant men and women in the world? Dr Tahir, a former minister, made a first-class honours degree in one of the best universities overseas. Several friends of mine who are of the Fulani stock are among the best minds on earth. Why are they not Cyprian Ekwensi’s ‘sokugos’?

And in any case, even if anyone was to raise and rear cattle, must such person trespass on other people’s property? Must they kill people whose crops their cattle had vandalised? Must such person or persons carry AK47 guns? Is AK47 the traditional stick for directing cattle!

As far back as 1983 when Engr (Dr) Godwin Bakare introduced the Fodde
ah my peopke can speak grammar,when all the farmers need to do is sprikle otapiapia and watch them arrange themselves sharpaly sharpaly
Re: Hausa/fulani Cattle Herdsmen Are Fast Assuming The Status Of Terrorists by teufelein(f): 7:13pm On Jun 09, 2015
[size=18pt]Fulani Herdsmen Sack 17 Plateau Villages[/size]

Achor Abimaje
— Jun 7, 2015 3:18 am | 0 Comments

Over 17 villages of Gashish District of Barkin Ladi local government council of Plateau State have been sacked by gunmen suspected to be Fulani herdsmen in the area.

LEADERSHIP Sunday investigation revealed that in Ngar village of Barkin Ladi, gunmen also allegedly ambushed and attacked the personnel of the Special Task Force on Jos crisis shooting two while one and another sustained injuries and is receiving treatment in a hospital in Jos. According to a community leader, Barr Ezekiel Mandyau, over 160 persons have been killed in the past two years while over 100 people sustained injuries as a result of the attacks by gunmen.

He added that most of the stories of cattle rustlers reported in the media are carried out by the Fulani themselves. In his words,”the Fulani steal each other’s cattle, making it look like it’s the natives that are stealing the cows.”

LalongEfforts to contact the media officer of the Special Task Force, Captain Ikedichi Iweha for confirmation did not yield any fruitful result as his mobile phone was switched off when our correspondent called.

It would be recalled that Plateau North Senatorial Zone of the state has witnessed incessant attacks and many innocent people have been killed, especially women and children, including a former senator of the Federal Republic of Nigeria , Gyang Dangtong and his counterpart in the Plateau House of Assembly Hon. Gyang Fulani.

Meanwhile, at least two persons were confirmed killed by suspected Fulani herdsmen between Bululu and Yiplack community in Kanam local government council of Plateau State..

LEADERSHIP Sunday gathered that the two farmers were ambushed by the assailants on their way back from Yiplack to Bululu where they were invited to help in the farm .

Confirming the incident yesterday, the Chairman of Kanam Local Government Area, Hon. Ado Yusuf said two people were killed but explained that security personnel have been deployed to the area to prevent further breakdown of law.

According to him, two Tarok people were killed by suspected gunmen and the identity of the killer squad is yet to be known .

http://leadership.ng/news/439013/fulani-herdsmen-sack-17-plateau-villages

(1) (Reply)

Islamic State Deputy Leader 'killed'(photo) / How To Borrow Airtime From MTN, Etisalat, Glo & Airtel Without Paying Back / IMF Cuts Nigeria’s GDP Growth Forecast

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.