Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,407 members, 7,822,874 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 06:28 PM

Very Sad Story Of How Nigerians Left An Accident Victim To Bleed To Death - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Very Sad Story Of How Nigerians Left An Accident Victim To Bleed To Death (30641 Views)

Abuja Hospital Abandons Accident Victim For Hours Over Inability To Pay N3,500 / Helpless Accident Victim At National Hospital Abuja / Hospital Seeks The Public's Help In Identifying An Accident Victim (graphic Pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Very Sad Story Of How Nigerians Left An Accident Victim To Bleed To Death by themodernman: 5:07am On May 15, 2015
igbsam:
And we preach the brother's keepers sermon.

Sadly, those people riding past are somehow active members in churches and mosques. You see them praying as if they naturally want to burst their lungs. We have a long way to go as humans in this country. Accident victims o! and not Robbery Victims that the police would want to rope u with the case as the animals they are.

So sad.

Lolz @ "naturally want to burst their lungs" more like offering up themselves as a living sacrifice.
Re: Very Sad Story Of How Nigerians Left An Accident Victim To Bleed To Death by Bollinger(m): 5:10am On May 15, 2015
Buchukwu:
It doesn't baffle me cos this country is a zoo. In other words i think these so called bloggers create random twitter/facebook accounts to writer rubbish any time news/stories are not forthcoming, i take this as a mere fallacy, the writer doesn't even specify the place the so called accident happened, lol. THIS STORY IS FABREGATED JUST TO FILL BLOG PAGES

you are so correct. A growing trend, even on Nairaland. Why it works so well is because most Nairalanders are as dull as a blunt knife.

1 Like

Re: Very Sad Story Of How Nigerians Left An Accident Victim To Bleed To Death by hollandis(f): 5:10am On May 15, 2015
This poster is a crazy animal.Why should citizens help.accident victims.Call.911 dumbass
Re: Very Sad Story Of How Nigerians Left An Accident Victim To Bleed To Death by Jaymima(f): 5:26am On May 15, 2015
Quite pathetic!
Re: Very Sad Story Of How Nigerians Left An Accident Victim To Bleed To Death by tit(f): 6:01am On May 15, 2015
the doctors do not get paid from the number of people they help.
(and they do not get sanctioned effectively, if they do not try their best!)
if you do not want to be a COMPETENT DOCTOR, do not pose around as one!
Re: Very Sad Story Of How Nigerians Left An Accident Victim To Bleed To Death by tete7000(m): 6:05am On May 15, 2015
naijainfogalery:
I wont blame them , lots of people are wasting in Nigerian prisons just because of this kind of acts of love, Nigerian system is crazy, no emergency center to call and if u try to help, even the person might just say you are the one that hit him because he doesnt want to pay bill or doesnt have money to pay the bill.
If you think the well, in your mind you will just support the victims with prayer because the story of the good samaritan could have landed him in jail right here in Nigeria, but that shouldnt give us an excuse not to save a life, One thing i have noticed is Nigerians are always looking for the first person to stop and help, once one person stops others will follow suit,

Check out this scenerio
u helped the guy, because the doctors in most hospitals are not qualified, they will reject the person telling you to take him to the general hospital and if satan catches u, he dies in your car , you now went to report yourself at the station , the first thing they do is lock you up calling you a murderer not even a suspect oo or give u a benefit of the doubt, then before u know wassup they either ask you for a 100k bribe and if Satan now catches you the more , you dont have it, then thats how they will frame you for someones else death, and if devil wants to finish your life, if there is one rich man whose sons commits a criminal offence they could collect bribe then make you the victim.
Any wise Nigerian would do anything in his power to stay away from the Nigerian police because ive heard cases where police will change your name on their register that you will never be found.

May God heal this country.

I think it is rather too sad there is no emergency number to call when accident happens. Having one would avoid scenarios painted in this post. It is really too dicey to help a dying accident victims in this part of the world. Even hospitals are wary of taking in victims out of fear. How do you handle it should the person dies? You don't know the victims from Adams and suddenly you have an unidentified dead person in your hand. However as this poster wrote we nevertheless have to find ways to help, not doing so amount to heartlessness and who knows who the victims can be tomorrow.
Re: Very Sad Story Of How Nigerians Left An Accident Victim To Bleed To Death by FabioPeter: 6:05am On May 15, 2015
igbsam:
And we preach the brother's keepers sermon.

Sadly, those people riding past are somehow active members in churches and mosques. You see them praying as if they naturally want to burst their lungs. We have a long way to go as humans in this country. Accident victims o! and not Robbery Victims that the police would want to rope u with the case as the animals they are.

So sad.

Sometime ago, before motorcycles were outlawed in Benin City. I was witness to an accident where a bike rider carelessly made a u turn on an express way. The oncoming vehicle hit him so hard he was elevated forward and above the vehicle, my car was right behind but I saw it all.
The vehicle immediately took off probably for fear of been mobbed. I stopped by and at this point there were numerous onlookers doing nothing other that shake their head and watch the bleeding man. I helped, put him in my car and headed for a nearby clinic, on getting there I realised it had been shut down, the closest was a general hospital quite a distance away in a traffic zone, I had to go there. Five minutes later the accident victim started gasping and moaning it was then I realised I had taken a risk, thank God traffic wasn't terrible that day.
We got to the hospital in 10mins, at the accident ward I asked that they help take him in on a stretcher, they looked at me with stern and said it was my headache and pointed to a wheel chair that I could use. I eventually got the dying man to the emergency ward and explained but they won't have none of my story as far as they were concerned I hit him and I had to take responsibility. The man was still gasping but manage to answer when asked to narrate the accident he simply said I wasn't responsible.
At this point they let me go.
Now tell me what would have happened had this man died or was unable to speak at the hospital? Was it a good decision to hell him? These are a few reasons why we suffer an empathy deficit in Nigeria. It could have been a lot worse for me.
Re: Very Sad Story Of How Nigerians Left An Accident Victim To Bleed To Death by Reference(m): 6:09am On May 15, 2015
EagleScribes:
That shows how terrible our system is.

The decay has eaten so deep even into people's minds. Only God has save us here. Our help comes from nowhere else

Okay, it is the system now. No more Goodluck or Buhari. Someone asks for laws. Who elects lawmakers. Who do lawmakers represent....answer, our collective values. Nigeria is the way it is because of Nigerians so anytime something goes wrong just look at the mirror in exasperation.
Re: Very Sad Story Of How Nigerians Left An Accident Victim To Bleed To Death by rapmike(m): 6:28am On May 15, 2015
Airforce1:
angry
Oga, where is your album?
Re: Very Sad Story Of How Nigerians Left An Accident Victim To Bleed To Death by Excuzeme: 6:47am On May 15, 2015
Edusouls:
black monkey africans with so much greed, wickedness and dark heart,no brotherly love in our land,thats why we are cursed and dammned to suffering and endless poverty in our land due to our wicked and ever selfish heart.africa is really in trouble.

Obviously your lineage is made up of Black Monkeys!
Stop using the "collective Pronoun" "WE" or "OUR" in your statement.
It is you and your family that is cursed and impoverished.

The fact that you dont do something does not mean "ALL" Africans dont do it.
Phucking retard!

BTW:

Did the Govt not make LAW that No One should ride "Okada" on the HighWay?
This silly Non-Nigerian (Lulu Chimabiala) and her Friends will disobey laws made for their own good, ....and when they "break neck and jaw", will still turn around to blame "Nigerians" for their own headiness, stubbornness and outright stewpidity!
I am sure your "broken" friend wasn't even intelligent enough to wear a crash helmet otherwise, his/her jaw might not be so screwed!
undecided

In your God-forsaken country where you came from (Lulu Chimabiala), do they stop to carry Eediots that refuse to obey the law by riding Okada on the Highway? Until you learn to obey simple laws, dont expect pity from anyone.

Even in Western countries, you will see signs telling you you cant walk or ride a bicycle on the Motorway! And they obey such laws.
And you dare not touch an accident victim if you have no first-aid or first responder training other wise you will land yourself in serious trouble as the victim or his family might turn around to say you caused more damage to the victim by your "untrained action"! undecided
All you can do it dial emergency numbersd and request for an ambulance, stating where the accident occurred.
It is in Nigeria you want them to carry dying accident victim and take personal risk? ???

And in-case you decide to make yourself "useful", you will do better by just writing a Petition to the National Assembly to make Laws that will encourage people to do so without fear of any repercussion and also mandate the Govt to install emergency call-phones along the Highways... and respond to them ASAP,....... instead of disparaging the all Nigerians!
She-Goat!

1 Like

Re: Very Sad Story Of How Nigerians Left An Accident Victim To Bleed To Death by Sanuzi(m): 6:59am On May 15, 2015
quite unfortunate. But something can still be done to turn things around

Re: Very Sad Story Of How Nigerians Left An Accident Victim To Bleed To Death by Nobody: 6:59am On May 15, 2015
any right thinking man should help the passenger first. the bike man could help prevent the accident in the first place by not acting fast n furious.
Re: Very Sad Story Of How Nigerians Left An Accident Victim To Bleed To Death by charlsecy(m): 7:04am On May 15, 2015
The Nigerian system is designed to kill its citizens... Take an accident victim to hospital and see the result for yourself. Many people are in trouble today just because they showed mercy to accident victims.
The most you can do is to involve law enforcement agencies, which may be unavailable.

Until the sustem is corrected, we are not going anywhere.
Re: Very Sad Story Of How Nigerians Left An Accident Victim To Bleed To Death by charlsecy(m): 7:11am On May 15, 2015
NO ONE HERE HAS A RIGHT TO BLAME THOSE WHO SNAP PICTURES OR WHO CAN'T OFFER HELP TO ACCIDENT VICTIMS.

BLAME THE SYSTEM!

ONLY THE EXPERIENCED KNOW WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT!

IT IS A PITY THAT GOOD ACTS ARE LEGALLY DISCOURAGED, AND EVEN PUNISHABLE!
Re: Very Sad Story Of How Nigerians Left An Accident Victim To Bleed To Death by Tattooboy: 7:15am On May 15, 2015
naijainfogalery:
ive heard cases where police will change your name on their register that you will never be found.
wow!
Re: Very Sad Story Of How Nigerians Left An Accident Victim To Bleed To Death by ministerblessed: 7:27am On May 15, 2015
naijainfogalery:
I wont blame them , lots of people are wasting in Nigerian prisons just because of this kind of acts of love, Nigerian system is crazy, no emergency center to call and if u try to help, even the person might just say you are the one that hit him because he doesnt want to pay bill or doesnt have money to pay the bill.
If you think the well, in your mind you will just support the victims with prayer because the story of the good samaritan could have landed him in jail right here in Nigeria, but that shouldnt give us an excuse not to save a life, One thing i have noticed is Nigerians are always looking for the first person to stop and help, once one person stops others will follow suit,

Check out this scenerio
u helped the guy, because the doctors in most hospitals are not qualified, they will reject the person telling you to take him to the general hospital and if satan catches u, he dies in your car , you now went to report yourself at the station , the first thing they do is lock you up calling you a murderer not even a suspect oo or give u a benefit of the doubt, then before u know wassup they either ask you for a 100k bribe and if Satan now catches you the more , you dont have it, then thats how they will frame you for someones else death, and if devil wants to finish your life, if there is one rich man whose sons commits a criminal offence they could collect bribe then make you the victim.
Any wise Nigerian would do anything in his power to stay away from the Nigerian police because ive heard cases where police will change your name on their register that you will never be found.

I totally agree wit you.av seen a case where the Nigerian police locked up two undergraduates gals because they came forward to testify dt they wer witnesses/victims of an armed robbery attack/kidnapping. Thank God the kidnap victim was later found. He was the one dt now told the police st they were all victims, even after den they still asked for thousands of naira b4 d gals were released
Re: Very Sad Story Of How Nigerians Left An Accident Victim To Bleed To Death by EagleScribes: 7:28am On May 15, 2015
Reference:

Okay, it is the system now. No more Goodluck or Buhari. Someone asks for laws. Who elects lawmakers. Who do lawmakers represent....answer, our collective values. Nigeria is the way it is because of Nigerians so anytime something goes wrong just look at the mirror in exasperation.

You are so so right. The people, the laws, the values, the processes, all make up the system
Re: Very Sad Story Of How Nigerians Left An Accident Victim To Bleed To Death by UjSizzle(f): 7:29am On May 15, 2015
I suppose the oath the doctors take... (watsitcalled, Hippocratic oath?) means nothing to them.

I've wondered about this walking/driving past someone who could need medical attention. Empathy is dead. Some people won't even cast a second glance their way, and everyday we go to church to praise God. Where's the love here eh?
Re: Very Sad Story Of How Nigerians Left An Accident Victim To Bleed To Death by doskie(m): 7:35am On May 15, 2015
AndreRose:

You took the word out of my mouth. This same thing happened in the recent danfo bus that got burnt in lagos. Though, the victims weren't said to have died.
Wonder how some people can have the heart to pass the victims. This is so sad.
snapping them is bad. fine.
but passing? this is Nigeria. Not USA. if they die in your hand you wont have it funny. untill a law is made to stop police and doctors from intimidating samaritans, people will remain sceptical about rendering help except they are or have very strong legs in the society that can bail them out of any trouble. its that terrible

1 Like

Re: Very Sad Story Of How Nigerians Left An Accident Victim To Bleed To Death by Mynd44: 7:37am On May 15, 2015
UjSizzle:
I suppose the oath the doctors take... (watsitcalled, Hippocratic oath?) means nothing to them.

I've wondered about this walking/driving past someone who could need medical attention. Empathy is dead. Some people won't even cast a second glance their way, and everyday we go to church to praise God. Where's the love here eh?
We are not out of empathy, it is because people have had bad experience(s) where someone died on the way the hospital and this caused trouble for the person who wanted to help.

There are also cases where you stop to help and you find out it is a trap where you get attacked.

People have pity but are just tied by the environment

Re: Very Sad Story Of How Nigerians Left An Accident Victim To Bleed To Death by UjSizzle(f): 7:38am On May 15, 2015
FabioPeter:

Sometime ago, before motorcycles were outlawed in Benin City. I was witness to an accident where a bike rider carelessly made a u turn on an express way. The oncoming vehicle hit him so hard he was elevated forward and above the vehicle, my car was right behind but I saw it all.
The vehicle immediately took off probably for fear of been mobbed. I stopped by and at this point there were numerous onlookers doing nothing other that shake their head and watch the bleeding man. I helped, put him in my car and headed for a nearby clinic, on getting there I realised it had been shut down, the closest was a general hospital quite a distance away in a traffic zone, I had to go there. Five minutes later the accident victim started gasping and moaning it was then I realised I had taken a risk, thank God traffic wasn't terrible that day.
We got to the hospital in 10mins, at the accident ward I asked that they help take him in on a stretcher, they looked at me with stern and said it was my headache and pointed to a wheel chair that I could use. I eventually got the dying man to the emergency ward and explained but they won't have none of my story as far as they were concerned I hit him and I had to take responsibility. The man was still gasping but manage to answer when asked to narrate the accident he simply said I wasn't responsible.
At this point they let me go.
Now tell me what would have happened had this man died or was unable to speak at the hospital? Was it a good decision to hell him? These are a few reasons why we suffer an empathy deficit in Nigeria. It could have been a lot worse for me.
Wow. That's a lot to suffer just for helping someone.
Re: Very Sad Story Of How Nigerians Left An Accident Victim To Bleed To Death by UjSizzle(f): 7:40am On May 15, 2015
Mynd44:

We are not out of empathy, it is because people have had bad experience(s) where someone died on the way the hospital and this caused trouble for the person who wanted to help.

There are also cases where you stop to help and you find out it is a trap where you get attacked.

People have pity but are just tied by the environment
Yes yes. This country can give you a heartache sad
Re: Very Sad Story Of How Nigerians Left An Accident Victim To Bleed To Death by repogirl(f): 7:44am On May 15, 2015
Just too bad.....
Re: Very Sad Story Of How Nigerians Left An Accident Victim To Bleed To Death by naturefellow(m): 7:52am On May 15, 2015
naijainfogalery:

Check out this scenerio

O boy! That's experience speaking.
Re: Very Sad Story Of How Nigerians Left An Accident Victim To Bleed To Death by Mynd44: 7:53am On May 15, 2015
UjSizzle:

Yes yes. This country can give you a heartache sad
I once took a victim of a motorcycle crash to an hospital once and the guy in his unconscious state started fighting the nurses and almost beat one of then up. It took the intervention of a lot of people to hold him down.

His family was not there just bystanders who were unlooking or just talking and no one took the initiative. Now imagine if the guy had died on the way the family could have held me responsible as no one else except a random motorcycle who took us to the hospital was with us and he left immediately he dropped us off.

There is also the problem of hospital costs....registration cards etc.
*sighs*
Re: Very Sad Story Of How Nigerians Left An Accident Victim To Bleed To Death by AndreRose(f): 8:05am On May 15, 2015
doskie:

snapping them is bad. fine.
but passing? this is Nigeria. Not USA. if they die in your hand you wont have it funny. untill a law is made to stop police and doctors from intimidating samaritans, people will remain sceptical about rendering help except they are or have very strong legs in the society that can bail them out of any trouble. its that terrible
Re: Very Sad Story Of How Nigerians Left An Accident Victim To Bleed To Death by RaptorX: 8:08am On May 15, 2015
The black man is incapable of running a modern and efficient nation, the oyinbos have said it you call them racist, I used to call them racist too but no more, look at Nigeria nothings works, ordinary emergency services with ambulance na wahala, how difficult is it to have standby paramedics and ambulance with emergency number, every pictures of accidents i have seen on NL involves people standing around the dead or dying bodies looking helplessly, no trained medical staff in sight, no police nothing, corruption seems to be the only thing done with precision.
Re: Very Sad Story Of How Nigerians Left An Accident Victim To Bleed To Death by Buchukwu: 8:09am On May 15, 2015
ZACHIE:

Not only FABRECATED, it was FABREGAS that should be held responsible.
Olodo.
When it comes to you, be ready to face the consequences alone because we will be too uncaring as you to give a hoot.
God punish you
Re: Very Sad Story Of How Nigerians Left An Accident Victim To Bleed To Death by anonimi: 8:19am On May 15, 2015
WebSurfer:
I MET A SIMILAR CASE DURING THE EBOLA PERIOD, THOUGH I WAS SCARED AS THE VICTIM WAS A COMPLETE STRANGER BUT I HAD NO CHANCE THAN TAKE THE RISK SINCE SHE WAS PREGNANT AND COLLAPSING BY THE ROADSIDE JUST VERY LATE AROUND 8-9PM, EVENTUALLY EVEN AFTER THAT, HOSPITALS, DOCTORS, NURSES SURPRISED ME, IT WAS FINALLY A FEDERAL MEDICAL CENTER WHO ACCEPTED AND ATTENDED TO US AFTER BEING REJECTED REPEATEDLY BY OTHERS, MAY GOD HELP US NIGERIANS

Nice story but wrong conclusion.

God does not need to help Nigerians just as he did NOT help the Europeans, Americans, Canadians and all those other places we like to run away to because their people helped themselves climb out of their depravity largely through mass education for all their children!

The whole essence of the message of Christ (Prophet Issa to Moslems) is that we should use our God-given intellect to sort out out man-made problems instead of crying to God each time as if He did not make us in His Image. shocked angry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Very Sad Story Of How Nigerians Left An Accident Victim To Bleed To Death by esoorita: 8:24am On May 15, 2015
tete7000:

I think it is rather too sad there is no emergency number to call when accident happens. Having one would avoid scenarios painted in this post. It is really too dicey to help a dying accident victims in this part of the world. Even hospitals are wary of taking in victims out of fear. How do you handle it should the person dies? You don't know the victims from Adams and suddenly you have an unidentified dead person in your hand. However as this poster wrote we nevertheless have to find ways to help, not doing so amount to heartlessness and who knows who the victims can be tomorrow.

It's so sad that we are still living in the dark ages in Nigeria and indeed the whole of the African continent. Animals are treated better in the civilised countries than we treat human beings in Africa. I was horrified to see a crowd of people on 3rd Mainland bridge taking the pictures of some people involved in a car accident instead of lending a helping hand to the unfortunate victims. The money that the African leaders should have spent to build and equip standard hospital, procure ambulances, build schools, construct good roads, provide electricity, portable drinking water and other social services is wantonly looted by the leaders and their allies. The people are consigned to scrap heap perpetually. Very sad.

2 Likes

Re: Very Sad Story Of How Nigerians Left An Accident Victim To Bleed To Death by ZACHIE: 8:34am On May 15, 2015
Buchukwu:

God punish you

Why e dey pain you nah

FABREGATED bobo.
olodo oshi
Re: Very Sad Story Of How Nigerians Left An Accident Victim To Bleed To Death by fareed69(m): 8:39am On May 15, 2015
Its rather unfortunate but the situation in the nation is responsible

A Similar experience which I had. Saw 2 guys had accident on a bike and decide to helpturned so bitter.

Policeman taunted me for days that Ishould tell themwhat really happened that I must ve caused this guys the accident.
It was by the Grace of God this guys didn't dieand they live to recount the situation that saved the day.

Were are Emergency ambulances to evacuate accident victims?

Once beaten 2ce shy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Transformation Of Mother And Daughter With Facial Tumors (Photos) / That Mouth Blister Is NOT Malaria But Herpes Labialis- Nigerian Health Blog / Coronavirus: Pharmacy Accused Of Selling A Bottle Of Hand Sanitizer For N19,950

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.