Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,199 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:41 AM

My Take On Asoebi - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / My Take On Asoebi (22864 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Take On Asoebi by write2obi(m): 8:35am On May 15, 2015
oluwagadaffi:
I wanna dedicate dis space to my friend Jefferson Akinsheye (SUG president FUT Minna 2011-2012). We lost him dis morning after brief illness. #peace
That brief illness just they kill people anyhow, the thing never get cure
Re: My Take On Asoebi by expozey(f): 9:29am On May 15, 2015
You are right @ op, especially the favouritism shown when serving food and souvenir. Even the manner of greeting from the friend and family is most times lukewarm.
To me it bothers on the knack for people to get excited by what they see only. What they don't know is that some of the 'asoebi-less' guests contributed immensely in cash or kind to the ceremony.
I for one no dy look anybody face. If the sacrifice of a little donation and travelling long distances to your ceremony is not enough, don't attend mine.
Shikena

3 Likes

Re: My Take On Asoebi by mamadsquare: 10:36am On May 15, 2015
babyosisi:

That same lace material at 3k, they will bring from naija with George wrapper and head ties and tell us it is $150 in America
Cheap Lace that will have strings of fabric coming out from the sides and bottoms
$150? Them no get the fear of God at all!
Parties nowadays = Money making venture

1 Like

Re: My Take On Asoebi by Tashaamania(f): 2:08pm On May 15, 2015
CFCfan:

O the lady.
Eeyah, you always remind me of a certain somebody on this forum. I'm sure you know who cheesy
Re: My Take On Asoebi by Stillfire: 3:22pm On May 15, 2015
babyosisi:

It is a borrowed culture for Igbos
Women's church group and women's meeting are the only people that wore uniforms
Just reading here that Yoruba men also wear asho ebi
That one never reach igbo people side
My husband and I don't even have uniform
Not one
And many Igbo couples I know don't have husband and wife uniforms
Never saw my parents in uniform for one day

I have never seen my dad in traditional wear, not to talk of buying aso-ebi, lol. grin
My parents don't have husband and wife uniform either, that does not mean my mom's wardrobe is not overflowing with headscarves, george and lace. grin
You are right about it being a borrowed culture. I even hear some Igbo people refer to the maidens that follow the bride as umu-asoebi. What is the meaning of that? cheesy We don't have our own name or what?
Having a theme color for weddings is nice though, I have to admit. Even Oyibos do theme colors. kiss

1 Like

Re: My Take On Asoebi by Stillfire: 3:30pm On May 15, 2015
chisco82:

Lol! @D bolded.
I thought every Nigerian woman likes that oo!

Lol, it looks good in pictures, but it's not comfortable. I've always wondered how a mother in law would travel all the way from the village to the city by bus with an intact head-tie. Those old women are gangsters.

1 Like

Re: My Take On Asoebi by Nobody: 3:38pm On May 15, 2015
Stillfire:

I have never seen my dad in traditional wear, not to talk of buying aso-ebi, lol. grin
My parents don't have husband and wife uniform either, that does not mean my mom's wardrobe is not overflowing with headscarves, george and lace. grin
You are right about it being a borrowed culture. I even hear some Igbo people refer to the maidens that follow the bride as umu-asoebi. What is the meaning of that? cheesy We don't have our own name or what?
Having a theme color for weddings is nice though, I have to admit. Even Oyibos do theme colors. kiss

Rofl
Umu ashoebi
Infact we call it ashebi
Re: My Take On Asoebi by Nobody: 3:40pm On May 15, 2015
mamadsquare:

$150? Them no get the fear of God at all!
Parties nowadays = Money making venture

There was one asho ebi I got some years ago and didn't receive any invitation to the wedding
Imagine that
The bride's mom happily gave me asho ebi material and I had to send her texts to find out where the wedding was holding
I almost didn't go but since I had bought the cloth and sewn it I figured it was pretty useless if I didn't go
I drove almost 3 hours to the place,lodged in a hotel sef etc

1 Like

Re: My Take On Asoebi by theenii: 3:51pm On May 15, 2015
There's nothing wrong in asoebi,i love the concept,it' makes party looks organize and colourful,i will definitely be doing asoebi for my wedding cool.
Re: My Take On Asoebi by Nobody: 6:15pm On May 15, 2015
Tashaamania:

Eeyah, you always remind me of a certain somebody on this forum. I'm sure you know who cheesy
Who could that be?
Re: My Take On Asoebi by Mcoldsoja(m): 4:08am On May 31, 2015
babyosisi:

Rofl
Umu ashoebi
Infact we call it ashebi
Some dey call dem unu achöm dï.

1 Like

Re: My Take On Asoebi by TheCork(m): 6:39pm On Sep 20, 2020
dorin27:
this is funny. Lmao!!

If is funny..then let me enter nah?..at least let juss the head enter!! cheesy
Re: My Take On Asoebi by Nobody: 7:12pm On Sep 20, 2020
VickyRotex:
No Ankara, No Semo!!! undecided

You are not stingy, its your choice, so no one can force you...

I know someone that paid 60K for one Aso Ebi, and it's been 7 months now, she's yet to completely pay the person that loaned her and it's giving her sleepless nights sad

We should just cut our ankara according to our size sha...

Afterall there is Wedding and there is Marriage!!!
Just because she wanted semo cry cry

1 Like

Re: My Take On Asoebi by VickyRotex(f): 9:36pm On Sep 20, 2020
0KNM:

Just because she wanted semo cry cry

Hahaha cheesy how did this thread resurface? Lol

Long time, bro. Hope you're well smiley

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Emir Sanusi's Wife, Sadiya's Birthday / The Ogiso Of Bini & Ijaw Came From Ile-ife / Photos From Deji Of Akure's Son's Wedding...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.