Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,189 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:55 AM

How We Defeated Jonathan – Tinubu - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How We Defeated Jonathan – Tinubu (27775 Views)

Jonathan, Tinubu & Ibrahim Babangida Sitting On Same Table At Halimat's Wedding / "How We Removed Jonathan" - Tinubu Writing A Book / What I Know About Buhari, Jonathan, Tinubu – Tunde Bakare (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How We Defeated Jonathan – Tinubu by nikky5(m): 12:45am On May 15, 2015
LAGOS — ALL Progressives Congress, APC, leader Asiwaju Bola Tinubu, yesterday, attributed the defeat of President Goodluck Jonathan in the last presidential election to a commonsense revolution anchored on a rebellion against the excesses of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP.

He spoke at a book launch in Lagos where Nobel laureate, Prof. Wole Soyinka extolled him, and Governor Rotimi Amaechi of Rivers State as the drivers of the uprising, which he said, was fast-tracked by President Jonathan’s mishandling of the Nigerian Governors Forum, NGF crisis.

The public presentation of the book “Dynamics of Change: The Amaechi Years”, was witnessed by a cross section of the political class and civil society including governors, former governors, senators among others.

Justice Adolphus Karibi-Whyte, who was chairman of the occasion, said the book only offered a glimpse into the vision that stimulated the infrastructure and developments during the Amaechi years in Rivers State.

Amaechi on his part gave a peep into his political challenges, noting how even when he got Tinubu angry before the APC convention, both men set aside their issues for the common goal of achieving victory in the elections that were yet to be held at that time.
BOOK PRESENTATION—The book, Dynamics of Change, The Amaechi Years was launched, yesterday at the Civic Centre, Victoria Island, Lagos. From left, Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu, National Leader, Apc; Justice Adolphus Karibi-Whyte, Chairman of occasion; Mrs Judith Amaechi, Mr Tonye Cole, book presenter; Dr Kayode Fayemi, former Governor of Ekiti State; Dr Chidi Amuta, co-editor of the book; Alhaji Abdulazeez Yari, Governor of Zamfara State and Mr Rotimi Amaechi, Governor of Rivers State during the book presentation. Photo: Lamidi Bamidele. More photos on Page 16.

BOOK PRESENTATION—The book, Dynamics of Change, The Amaechi Years was launched, yesterday at the Civic Centre, Victoria Island, Lagos. From left, Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu, National Leader, Apc; Justice Adolphus Karibi-Whyte, Chairman of occasion; Mrs Judith Amaechi, Mr Tonye Cole, book presenter; Dr Kayode Fayemi, former Governor of Ekiti State; Dr Chidi Amuta, co-editor of the book; Alhaji Abdulazeez Yari, Governor of Zamfara State and Mr Rotimi Amaechi, Governor of Rivers State during the book presentation. Photo: Lamidi Bamidele. More photos on Page 16.

Tinubu, who was guest of honour at the presentation of the book written by Dr. Yemi Ogunbiyi and Dr. Chidi Amuta in his comments said: “Amaechi is an example of common sense revolution. In the course of the historic campaigns for the 2015 Presidential Election, I was emphatic that the election itself was a great opportunity to popularise and test the noble idea of a Common Sense Revolution in Nigeria. Soon enough, we found in the resonance of the APC Change mantra with the electorate a confirmation that Nigeria needed a Common Sense Revolution that is non-violent.

“Indeed there is a publication with that title authored by me in which I argued that Nigeria was ripe for a change of leadership and Nigerians must act in a Common Sense and rational way in choosing their leaders. The results of the March Presidential elections and that of April have demonstrated clearly the desire by Nigerians for change.”

The APC national leader, however, urged the new crop of leaders to embark on policies that will alleviate the plight of Nigerians.”

Continuing, he said: “Elections over, both the leaders and citizens must brace up to meet the challenges required to build a better, more prosperous nation. Indeed, even as we subscribe to the tenets of Common Sense Revolution, we must retool ourselves, the new leadership must embark on policies that will improve the general well-being of the mass of our people.

“It is a positive one to rescue, repair and restructure the nation and its institutions in ways that further collective prosperity and well-being. The only violence that is to be done is to violence, injustice and poverty themselves. At its essence, a common sense revolution is a call to return to a level of decency in the relationship between government and the governed, between each one of us and his neighbour.

“In my view, our gathering to celebrate the landmark achievements of my brother, Governor Rotimi Amaechi, in Rivers State in the last eight years is also another justifiable celebration of idea of Common Sense Revolution for development. The publication of the book, Dynamics of Change: The Amaechi Years is a timely service to history.”

Governors’ Forum crisis

Lauding Amaechi’s leadership of the NGF, the former Lagos State governor said “this occasion is all the more remarkable because of the huge challenges Amaechi has been facing especially in his second term from an extremely hostile federal government. His role as the chairman of the Governors’ Forum invariably brought him into a bitter collision with President Jonathan.

“Governor Amaechi and most of the governors want a properly defined federalist relationship with the government at the centre. The President would have none of that as in the notable example of the management of the federation account. This is, therefore, another great opportunity to salute Amaechi’s rare courage of conviction and sense of purpose. The APC has every cause to be proud of him,” Tinubu said.

Amaechi took a risky decision—Soyinka

In his comment, Prof. Soyinka commended Amaechi for standing up to President Jonathan during the NGF crisis. He identified Tinubu and Amaechi as the two main agents who brought down the PDP.

“The political atmosphere today, whatever you call it, change or hope or cautious hope and naked hope or careless hope, I recognise two personalities, in particular, who led the chant of change. One of them, I call him the architect of the process, the architect, in fact, that houses the essence of hope. That is Ahmed Bola Tinubu. The other person was unconsciously, perhaps, the arrow head of that charge that led to the change and that is the man that we gather here to celebrate.”

Soyinka said Amaechi took a risky decision during the NGF crisis that inevitably exposed him to the wrath of the presidency.

“He (Amaechi) was the one who said no, we cannot turn the clock backwards. Nothing about the philosophy of the clock runs against what we were hoping for. It was a very unpopular and risky decision to take. But it exposed to us the basic arithmetic fallacy of governance in demonstrating that when 16 is said to be higher than 19, something is fundamentally wrong and the same kind of arithmetic leads to the cooking of figures in governance. And it was within that nexus that he stood up and challenged even his own colleagues, and said let’s change the mentality of the stock, let us re-orientate it towards the people and towards the nation and the electorate.

“I remember someone very close to me that said I hear you are close to Rotimi Amaechi, tell that young man that he is going to destroy himself, and I said, you know something, you have been in a position where I have had the opportunity of being your teacher and your mentor and you mean to say you never learnt from me that it is better to be destroyed on the basis of what you really live for? And you want me to deliver such a message? That person who is in Aso Rock wanted me to tell Amaechi to back off, to slow down and that he is playing with fire and playing with a catapult against big guns. I never delivered that message. All I did was to study him more closely and wait to see.”

Karibi-Whyte commends Amaechi

Justice Karibi-Whyte commended Amaechi for embarking on developmental projects that were beneficial to the people of Rivers State, saying it was only a peep into the successful adventure of Amaechi in the state. “From my observation, I believe those who have written, wrote from the position which they thought but they did not to a large extent, look behind the facade of the motivating factors because I believe that he had been pained that nobody had seen the problems which he was foreseeing when he brought about schools, health centres in every local government, roads, education.”

I was determined to effect change—Amaechi

Giving the background of the challenges he faced after joining the APC, Governor Amaechi noted the sacrifice he and other leaders made for the eventual victory that was realised with the victory over the PDP in the presidential election last March.

“I am determined that there should be a change because if there’s no change, things will not move. Even before the party convention, I got Asiwaju Tinubu angry. I went to him and implored that we should not fight or disagree over issues. I told him that the important thing was for us to win first and after which, we can disagree. I believe that we must win and make a change, for anything that will not bring that change; I am ready to make a sacrifice.

I am proud to be a part of the change process. I am not stubborn but principled. I speak the truth and abide by the rules.”

On the crisis that engulfed the NGF, Amaechi, who is the chairman of the forum, accused the president of instigating the crisis.

He said: “In the Governors’ Forum, we set up a mechanism where we go from state to state to see how the governors were faring. Unfortunately, the President scattered the Governors’ Forum”.

Extolling Soyinka’s virtues, he said he is the only person whose bag he has ever carried because of the respect he has for him.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/05/how-we-defeated-jonathan-tinubu/

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How We Defeated Jonathan – Tinubu by abduljabbar4(m): 12:48am On May 15, 2015
Instead give it the title "how God rescued Nigerians from the devil"

25 Likes

Re: How We Defeated Jonathan – Tinubu by Nobody: 12:53am On May 15, 2015
Page 16

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How We Defeated Jonathan – Tinubu by SHARIAREPORTERS: 12:54am On May 15, 2015
I hate "change"

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How We Defeated Jonathan – Tinubu by kodded(m): 12:56am On May 15, 2015
SHARIAREPORTERS:
I hate "change"
i love "transformation"

28 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How We Defeated Jonathan – Tinubu by kodded(m): 12:57am On May 15, 2015
abduljabbar4:
who is the devil ?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How We Defeated Jonathan – Tinubu by emmyagi(m): 1:31am On May 15, 2015
abduljabbar4:
Devil sad sad sad
Re: How We Defeated Jonathan – Tinubu by ramdris(m): 1:43am On May 15, 2015
Let me know when I can buy the book in traffic.

2 Likes

Re: How We Defeated Jonathan – Tinubu by Nobody: 1:45am On May 15, 2015
To the West and North, Ameachi is a darling and a compatriot but to the SS which is his home, he is a Judas.

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: How We Defeated Jonathan – Tinubu by landinfo: 1:47am On May 15, 2015
nikky5:

[b]In his comment, Prof. Soyinka commended Amaechi for standing up to President Jonathan during the NGF crisis. He identified Tinubu and Amaechi as the two main agents who brought down the PDP.

“The political atmosphere today, whatever you call it, change or hope or cautious hope and naked hope or careless hope, I recognise two personalities, in particular, who led the chant of change. One of them, I call him the architect of the process, the architect, in fact, that houses the essence of hope. That is Ahmed Bola Tinubu. The other person was unconsciously, perhaps, the arrow head of that charge that led to the change and that is the man that we gather here to celebrate.”

Soyinka said Amaechi took a risky decision during the NGF crisis that inevitably exposed him to the wrath of the presidency.

“He (Amaechi) was the one who said no, we cannot turn the clock backwards. Nothing about the philosophy of the clock runs against what we were hoping for. It was a very unpopular and risky decision to take. But it exposed to us the basic arithmetic fallacy of governance in demonstrating that when 16 is said to be higher than 19, something is fundamentally wrong and the same kind of arithmetic leads to the cooking of figures in governance. And it was within that nexus that he stood up and challenged even his own colleagues, and said let’s change the mentality of the stock, let us re-orientate it towards the people and towards the nation and the electorate.

“I remember someone very close to me that said I hear you are close to Rotimi Amaechi, tell that young man that he is going to destroy himself, and I said, you know something, you have been in a position where I have had the opportunity of being your teacher and your mentor and you mean to say you never learnt from me that it is better to be destroyed on the basis of what you really live for? And you want me to deliver such a message? That person who is in Aso Rock wanted me to tell Amaechi to back off, to slow down and that he is playing with fire and playing with a catapult against big guns. I never delivered that message. All I did was to study him more closely and wait to see.”[/b]

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/05/how-we-defeated-jonathan-tinubu/

There are people that can be invited to such a funny occassion BUT not this man below, infact even in his grave, he will weep @ all of them that attended this gathering.....Yes!!!! Even weep @ GEJ & GMB

After Ojukwu & Fela, Gani is the other nigerian I have ever respected dead or alive......he never dined with the devilz, in his sickness time when Tinubu & Fashola came to assist in his bills, the man still no care about them cos he knew who they were

25 Likes 6 Shares

Re: How We Defeated Jonathan – Tinubu by pedel: 1:48am On May 15, 2015
Not being able to fight corruption, anti people policies and indecision to fight boko haram is what defeated Jonathan. If he had sacked some people the way he has been doing in the last 3 weeks, if he had fought Boko haram the way he has been doing in the last 3 months; throw people like Farook Lawan under the bus and jail at least 5 subsidy thieves; sack Aba Moro, Alison and few other people Nigerians are complaining about; start ground breaking and construction of 2 refineries instead of building some useless almanjiri schools which should have been the responsibilities of state and local governments. He would have won.
Instead, all his projects are designed for money making among his cronies. This is what cost him his government.
Tinubu should stop saying nonsense.

37 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How We Defeated Jonathan – Tinubu by Volksfuhrer(m): 4:18am On May 15, 2015
SHARIAREPORTERS:
I hate "change"

You go hate taya o! Change is here to stay.

14 Likes

Re: How We Defeated Jonathan – Tinubu by kliq(m): 4:54am On May 15, 2015
Tinubu talk-less

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How We Defeated Jonathan – Tinubu by EverestdeBliu(m): 5:45am On May 15, 2015
It is a wah o...diz wan still dey here dey brag,dey nak hand for chest...ok naw wey u don win,when make we start to expect the fulfilment of ur plenty promises?
Re: How We Defeated Jonathan – Tinubu by BlackTechnology: 5:57am On May 15, 2015
Tinubu your plan to control Nigeria through Buhari vie Osinbajo in order to steal the presidency and ND oil wealth has failed

Buhari

Prove us wrong that you are not

BABA ONE CHANCE

BABA HYPOCRITE

BABA MAGICIAN

Prove us wrong by probing

Tinubu OBJ Saraki Atiku Rochas Amaechi

Prove us wrong by probing the corrupt Federal Civil Service which is dominated by Tinubu's people

Sir

Tinubu's people voted you because they believe they can steal the oil wealth and presidency through you

They believe Tinubu through Osinbajo can control your government the way Idiagbon did

Sir

They do not believe in change because if they do, they would have voted you in 2007 and 2011

Remember that you are a descendant of Usman Dan Fodio

Remember that your ancestors never allowed the Oduduwas deceive them

WISE UP wink wink wink cool

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How We Defeated Jonathan – Tinubu by Pheals(f): 6:07am On May 15, 2015
SHARIAREPORTERS:
I hate "change"
u hate moving forward too

oya knee down make i pray for so that change will avoid u

6 Likes

Re: How We Defeated Jonathan – Tinubu by stebell(m): 6:22am On May 15, 2015
GEJ is our Hero, Fayose our Role Model. grin

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How We Defeated Jonathan – Tinubu by Duhduhduh: 6:32am On May 15, 2015
Dawgish sally and ego trip! No longer truth b4 can't...now can't b4 truth....too bad!
Re: How We Defeated Jonathan – Tinubu by gen2briz(m): 6:36am On May 15, 2015
So Na your vote you take win him abi.
Re: How We Defeated Jonathan – Tinubu by Nobody: 6:38am On May 15, 2015
all those long epistle on how he defeated GEJ?
Re: How We Defeated Jonathan – Tinubu by adedam007(m): 6:38am On May 15, 2015
G
Re: How We Defeated Jonathan – Tinubu by Nobody: 6:46am On May 15, 2015
Tinubu is a great politician but his romance with the north wil hit the rocks in no distant time

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How We Defeated Jonathan – Tinubu by Emphany: 6:53am On May 15, 2015
I don't fnk i ve anyfin to say to this thief... Jes passing by.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How We Defeated Jonathan – Tinubu by size40: 7:05am On May 15, 2015
sunnyshayne:
To the West and North, Ameachi is a darling and a compatriot but to the SS which is his home, he is a Judas.

As a Rivers man, Amaechi is not a Judas. He is a "hero" I love Amaechi scatter. he is my political mentor

12 Likes

Re: How We Defeated Jonathan – Tinubu by Nobody: 7:19am On May 15, 2015
size40:

As a Rivers man, Amaechi is not a Judas. He is a "hero" I love Amaechi scatter. he is my political mentor

Surely he still has his fans no doubt about that.
Re: How We Defeated Jonathan – Tinubu by Mustay(m): 7:31am On May 15, 2015
One thing that makes APC different from PDP is the use of THE MEDIA.

The problem with Africans is that they do not know their history; they are not documented, they are largely orally transmitted.

El-Rufai wrote a book, OBJ wrote a book and now, Amaechi has his. Truth is, when people are quoting facts in the future, they'll all quote these publications as references; not inferences! Politicians and public servants need to learn from this.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: How We Defeated Jonathan – Tinubu by Islie: 8:21am On May 15, 2015

In his comment, Prof. Soyinka commended Amaechi for standing up to President Jonathan during the NGF crisis. He identified Tinubu and Amaechi as the two main agents who brought down the PDP.

That was so risky......
When 16 was greater than 19
And some people says that man is a PhD holder...

Mtcheww to Mr corruption

5 Likes

Re: How We Defeated Jonathan – Tinubu by Firefire(m): 8:49am On May 15, 2015
All power belongs to God, for there is no authority except from God, and those which exist are established by God.

Why is Tinubu and APC playing God ?

On an appointed day King Herod, having put on his royal apparel, took his seat on the rostrum and began delivering an address to them.

The people kept crying out, "The voice of a god and not of a man!"

And immediately an angel of the Lord struck him because he did not give God the glory, and he was eaten by worms and died.

Tinubu take caution.
Re: How We Defeated Jonathan – Tinubu by Nobody: 8:49am On May 15, 2015
smiley

1 Like

Re: How We Defeated Jonathan – Tinubu by shachris01: 8:49am On May 15, 2015
APC didn't like defeat jonathan. Nigerians did. Because we were tired of him. And we would do same to APC if they do not sit up.

3 Likes

Re: How We Defeated Jonathan – Tinubu by 20bc(m): 8:49am On May 15, 2015
OK, was it fatality, brutality or even bability.... I want answers
Re: How We Defeated Jonathan – Tinubu by Akynzodeighbour(m): 8:50am On May 15, 2015
Oya, nollywood

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Customs Paraded 2016 Seized Rice Containers As 2019 Seizures - ThisDay / Your Bogus Rice Pyramids Are Pyramids of Lies - PDP Mocks Buhari, APC / Mbah Appoints Ladi Akeredolu-Ale MD Of Enugu State Broadcasting Service

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.