Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,898 members, 7,817,661 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:36 PM

Reasons Why Front-wheel Drive Sucks And Why Rear-wheel Drive Is best - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Reasons Why Front-wheel Drive Sucks And Why Rear-wheel Drive Is best (37677 Views)

Toyota FV2 Futuristic Vehicle Doesn’t Use Steering Wheel / Why You Need A Rear Wheel Cars Not These Japanese / Front Wheel And Rear/back Wheel Drive Cars...pros And Cons (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reasons Why Front-wheel Drive Sucks And Why Rear-wheel Drive Is best by tonychristopher: 9:36am On May 25, 2015
doroboss:

Been quietly watching you, its good to bold and outspoken, but the way you have taken it this 2 days is really becoming embarrassing. I feel you should read more and research more before opening threads with opposing general views.

Doroboss.
Re: Reasons Why Front-wheel Drive Sucks And Why Rear-wheel Drive Is best by tonychristopher: 9:39am On May 25, 2015
thank u

noblegrex:
Thanks guy for bringing these to our notice or more specifically,to my notice I appreciate your efort.plagia or no plagia atleast you've pested something no only debatable but reasonable.people should learn to appreciate, well, there's always room for criticizm but I must be sure you guys are not car dealers.
Re: Reasons Why Front-wheel Drive Sucks And Why Rear-wheel Drive Is best by Nobody: 9:56am On May 25, 2015
tonychristopher:
cant you see a common link mr pliagrialism

You were suppose to earn a ban for plagiarism, but the moderators let that slide. Don't push your luck too far or else....
Re: Reasons Why Front-wheel Drive Sucks And Why Rear-wheel Drive Is best by tonychristopher: 10:04am On May 25, 2015
ok, I have noted that but I think it is right to educate people so that people can make informed choices not been stampeded to something but i think i like your approach

gracias amigo ...

have a blessed working week bro

lomomike:

You were suppose to earn a ban for plagiarism, but the moderators let that slide. Don't push your luck too far or else....
Re: Reasons Why Front-wheel Drive Sucks And Why Rear-wheel Drive Is best by Nobody: 10:18am On May 25, 2015
tonychristopher:
ok, I have noted that but I think it is right to educate people so that people can make informed choices not been stampeded to something but i think i like your approach

gracias amigo ...

have a blessed working week bro

I want to believe you're learned. As a learned person, you must had come across the word plagiarism and how true academicians discourages such.

I know you use the internet, you must have come across such term before.

Read and understand:

www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plagiarism
Re: Reasons Why Front-wheel Drive Sucks And Why Rear-wheel Drive Is best by tonychristopher: 11:07am On May 25, 2015
we had an understanding of pligarism and if i borrowed a material from somewhere, I must acknbowladge it and what if I made an input also

We have an understanding here bro...have a blessed week

lomomike:

I want to believe you're learned. As a learned person, you must had come across the word plagiarism and how true academicians discourages such.

I know you use the internet, you must have come across such term before.

Read and understand:

www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plagiarism

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Front-wheel Drive Sucks And Why Rear-wheel Drive Is best by auhanson(m): 6:51pm On May 25, 2015
lezz:
no they do not. quicker is always 0 to 60mph lap time. faster is TOP SPEED. Because car A can do a 0 to 60 time quicker than car B , and yet car B will eat up the asphalt better in a quarter mile and go faster than car A with a better top speed. so car A is quicker but car B is faster.

back to the topic, i am going to try and answer your question with the assumption that you mean quicker acceleration time which is often measured in 0 to 60 mph or 0 to 100 kph.

between a rwd and a fwd car of same engine, chassis weight and gear ratio the acceleration time would be determined by some factors.

1) in a snowy track, i will give it to fwd

2) in using very little horse power where traction wont be an issue then the fwd still has an edge too

but in every other aspect when the light turns green for maximum take off, as the engine accelerates, the torque from the wheels will push the rear of the
car downwards, or the front of the car upwards.
Further to this, the resistance of the vehicle to
momentum, will cause it to push back against the
suspension as the wheels pull forwards. Because
of these two factors, the front wheels will have
less weight on them, and the rear wheels will
have more. A front wheel drive car will have
significantly less traction, and a rear wheel drive
will have significantly more.

also the fwd car will have a lot of torque steer and do auto lane change and the driver will have a hard time keeping a straight line not to mention the rwd will have more traction under full throttle than a fwd.

so under full acceleration in identical cars and where there are no snow or slippery surface, the rwd will have a better acceleration time than the fwd.

Good mehn!!

Lets call a spade a spade, and stop twisting things simply because we use one thing and wouldnt admit the other. A front wheel car till tomorrow is a budget vehicle, cheaper to produce and for slimmer pockets no matter the spec, where as the rear wheel is da machine for men who knows whats up and more importantly the all wheel drive with centre differential is the "ko ko", but if you may not need that extra cost, you are ok with the rear drive. Both rear wheel and all wheel is no budget thing, and not for economy mindset. So if you want fun, you pay the price for fun and have it(its someone that marries a beautiful loaded wife), and not confused up things and call a fork a spade.

I for one will never be a fan of fwd, if all the manufacturer likes, let them turn to fwd to cut cost and stipend profit, but i cant patronize them, period....

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Reasons Why Front-wheel Drive Sucks And Why Rear-wheel Drive Is best by auhanson(m): 7:01pm On May 25, 2015
adanny01:

Your post is a final clarification

Relating it to the op's choice in a location like Nigeria. We all know RWD do very well in race tracks, how many do we have? There are so many fast cars in Nigeria, what do their owners do with them? They keep them in the garage or under the car port since there are no drive ways to show them off. There are very little mechanics to work on them. At the end they lose those beautiful looking numbers called horsepower or kill themselves in the machine like el Rufai's son and Sambo's brother did to themselves of recent. The drivers themselves have no training or experience to handle the power.

Car owners in Nigeria end up requiring only a handful of power their cars have which brings them back to the region of FWD. Even though someone like the op wants to drive a RWD, in Nigeria he ends up disadvantaged or simply wasteful. If not for Mercedes Benz and BMW who traditionally make RWD we may have too little sedans with RWD. The almighty 'Lion' of France left behind their RWD and took up FWD for a reason. My personal summary is that RWD is good in the race tracks, FWD is good in the streets and highways and AWD better in all conditions except for its economy disadvantage. Therefore am sure above 90% of cars are made for the streets and highways so we can conclude in general that FWD is better than RWD meaning the op was wrong unless its his personal opinion which of course it isn't since he copied from someone.

Nullified..BIG NO to you brother...This is your opinion, Naija is not an exemption..Better come to the South South and east and see what we do with RWD and AWD are the better options here.

The OP is correct except for the plagiarism. He deserves a round of applause for digging this out...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Reasons Why Front-wheel Drive Sucks And Why Rear-wheel Drive Is best by lezz(m): 7:31pm On May 25, 2015
auhanson:

Good mehn!!

Lets call a spade a spade, and stop twisting things simply because we use one thing and wouldnt admit the other. A front wheel car till tomorrow is a budget vehicle, cheaper to produce and for slimmer pockets no matter the spec, where as the rear wheel is da machine for men who knows whats up and more importantly the all wheel drive with centre differential is the "ko ko", but if you may not need that extra cost, you are ok with the rear drive. Both rear wheel and all wheel is no budget thing, and not for economy mindset. So if you want fun, you pay the price for fun and have it(its someone that marries a beautiful loaded wife), and not confused up things and call a fork a spade.

I for one will never be a fan of fwd, if all the manufacturer likes, let them turn to fwd to cut cost and stipend profit, but i cant patronize them, period....
you have said it better than i could.

front wheel drive is a bore and no serious manufacturer make them in numbers except the japanese. the lack of road feel in a front wheel is always a big turn off for me.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reasons Why Front-wheel Drive Sucks And Why Rear-wheel Drive Is best by adanny01(m): 11:40pm On May 25, 2015
auhanson:

Nullified..BIG NO to you brother...This is your opinion, Naija is not an exemption..Better come to the South South and east and see what we do with RWD and AWD are the better options here.

The OP is correct except for the plagiarism. He deserves a round of applause for digging this out...

Nullified by what exactly? Do you have an opinion i have not seen?

It is my opinion, my post says so, did you read?

I have lived in the SS for years and have passed SE always. I work in the Niger Delta region mainly going off roads doing construction. I have seen roads you have never seen with your eyes. I used a 4x4 SUV and have gotten stuck uncountable times. My colleagues with cars such as Toyota prado, Toyota Hilux, Toyota Tacoma, Toyota Highlander, Nissan Frontier, Ford Ranger, even a farm tractor and a JCB all got stuck at one point or the other. You dare not take anything less than a 4x4 into those terrain. A Nissan frontier lost its front drive shaft CV joint in site one time and its RWD couldnt get it out for a week. That instance i knew RWD is a great disappointment because the FWD Toyota highlander got out succesfully. That Highlander impressed me.

Have you passed Umuahia-Ikot ekpene rd or Aba- Ik rd in the mid rainy season. Have you experienced when the rd will close for days leaving you to find bypass in villages off road. I have. Do you know which cars cause hold ups on those bypass? Mostly, buses because they have RWD. In general, all the vehiles that find it difficult on the rd are RWD including the articulated trucks that causes the problem since they are mostly RWD.

On slippery roads, FWD does better than RWD
On economy, FWD does better than RWD
On race tracks, RWD does better FWD

Have you ever seen a race track? Do you have a race car?

If you like RWD just say you like it, dont join the op in saying RWD is the best because it isnt.

If you can make list of all passenger cars you know, how many are RWD drive and what category are they? When next you want to disagree give you own opinion but it seems you have non other than to simply disagree with no reasons to back it up.
Re: Reasons Why Front-wheel Drive Sucks And Why Rear-wheel Drive Is best by adanny01(m): 12:00am On May 26, 2015
lezz:
you have said it better than i could.

front wheel drive is a bore and no serious manufacturer make them in numbers except the japanese. the lack of road feel in a front wheel is always a big turn off for me.

Big lie.

How many Peugeot cars are RWD?
How many VW cars are RWD?
How many Kia cars are RWD?
How many Chrysler cars ate RWD?
How many Chevrolet cars are RWD?
How many Ford cars are RWD?

The truth is SUVs and trucks are either RWD or AWD but mostly AWD because of their weight. The big sedans join this category too. The highest category of cars are FWD accross the globe except for Mercedes Benz, BMW and other few manufacturers that traditionally produce RWD and AWD. These cars are not designed with fuel economy as selling points but as luxury or performance range of cars. How many people buy cars in Nigeria for luxury, small percentage, thats why most people go for japanese and Korean cars.

One big test for you. With exception of Benz and BMW name 2 recent cars that have less than 2.0 litre engines and have RWD? You will see how hard you will think before you get one. 2.0 is the average engine size of sedans in Nigeria.
Re: Reasons Why Front-wheel Drive Sucks And Why Rear-wheel Drive Is best by 9icetoo(m): 12:11am On May 26, 2015
That post above is the koko. We are so quick to jump on a band wagon because it suits us without critically asking ourselves if what we believe holds true. I have driven both rear and front wheel drive and as long as regular sedans and hatches are concerned, the front wheel setup will trump the rear wheel setup in handling and offroad action. The exception to handling comes in with increased power output as seen in some tuned cars or other high end cars.
You may not like it but that's the bitter truth.
The Honda integra is one of the best handling cars in the world. It will post laptimes on a twisty circuit a rear wheel drive of the same power can never dream of. It's a front wheel drive.
Re: Reasons Why Front-wheel Drive Sucks And Why Rear-wheel Drive Is best by lezz(m): 12:44am On May 26, 2015
adanny01:

Big lie.

How many Peugeot cars are RWD?
How many VW cars are RWD?
How many Kia cars are RWD?
How many Chrysler cars ate RWD?
How many Chevrolet cars are RWD?
How many Ford cars are RWD?

The truth is SUVs and trucks are either RWD or AWD but mostly AWD because of their weight. The big sedans join this category too. The highest category of cars are FWD accross the globe except for Mercedes Benz, BMW and other few manufacturers tha traditionally produce RWD and AWD. These cars are not designed with fuel economy as selling points butgeo as luxury or performance range of cars. How many people but cars in Nigeria for luxury, small percentage, thats why most people go for japanese and Korean cars.
peugeot stopped making rare wheels when they hit bankruptcy and almost went extinct.

VW,Ford, Chrysler, Chevrolet and kia cars are not known for luxury or top brand. RWD are not necessarily for performance. they are for luxury, confort, durability and smoothness and hwndling. All the manufacturers you listed do not own a super car in their brand, they are not serious manufacturers and lack true automobile heritage.

Benz, BMW, Porsche , jaguar, Bentley, Aston martin, Lamborghini, mazarati, rolls Royce, etc do not torch front wheels. and rear wheel isn't fuel consuming except it is a performance car, ask Mercedes users of 1993 C and E class to date.

My point: the big companies with strong history and automobile heritage who pride themselves in solidity, road feel, comfort and great driving dynamics do not touch front wheels except in their halfbreed cars(Mercedes A Class) .

kia, VW, Ford, Chrystler are in roughly same class with Toyota, Honda and co: soulless.

that is why Toyota, when it tries to measure up with Europe in luxury and refinement equips most of its luxury brand Lexus with RWD as do honda does accura and nissan does some infinity.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reasons Why Front-wheel Drive Sucks And Why Rear-wheel Drive Is best by lezz(m): 12:56am On May 26, 2015
9icetoo:
That post above is the koko. I have driven both rear and front wheel drive and as long as regular sedans and hatches are concerned, the front wheel setup will trump the rear wheel setup in handling and offroad action .
Two word : ENGINEERING SACRILEGE.

what you said is not only laughable it is both by physics and engineering laws impossible.

FWD and handling do not go hand in hand; they don't ever mix. A FWD can't even keep a straight line under full acceleration and you are talking about handling in top speed. hmn.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reasons Why Front-wheel Drive Sucks And Why Rear-wheel Drive Is best by Absoj(m): 7:15am On May 26, 2015
lezz:
peugeot stopped making rare wheels when they hit bankruptcy and almost went extinct.

VW,Ford, Chrysler, Chevrolet and kia cars are not known for luxury or top brand. RWD are not necessarily for performance. they are for luxury, confort, durability and smoothness and hwndling. All the manufacturers you listed do not own a super car in their brand, they are not serious manufacturers and lack true automobile heritage.

Benz, BMW, Porsche , jaguar, Bentley, Aston martin, Lamborghini, mazarati, rolls Royce, etc do not torch front wheels. and rear wheel isn't fuel consuming except it is a performance car, ask Mercedes users of 1993 C and E class to date.

My point: the big companies with strong history and automobile heritage who pride themselves in solidity, road feel, comfort and great driving dynamics do not touch front wheels except in their halfbreed cars(Mercedes A Class) .

kia, VW, Ford, Chrystler are in roughly same class with Toyota, Honda and co: soulless.

that is why Toyota, when it tries to measure up with Europe in luxury and refinement equips most of its luxury brand Lexus with RWD as do honda does accura and nissan does some infinity.
u just hit d point. Even japs admit d wide chasm btw FWD and RWD.
Re: Reasons Why Front-wheel Drive Sucks And Why Rear-wheel Drive Is best by Absoj(m): 7:20am On May 26, 2015
lawal666:
I bought a tundra 2006model. I'm using it to carry goods from jos to Port Harcourt. but my driver keep saying its not 4wd. abeg my people na true?
That's a 'kazeem' u have as a driver u better keep a close watch on him. grin
Re: Reasons Why Front-wheel Drive Sucks And Why Rear-wheel Drive Is best by adanny01(m): 10:04am On May 26, 2015
lezz:

You need more studies on cars.

How did that first line of yours sound in your mind as you read it to yourself. First to fourth generation Toyota Corolla were all RWD, so Toyota went bankrupt thats why they changed to FWD from the fifth generation abi?

Do you know what car classification is? Every car falls in a certain classification starting from Micro car through, Sub compact, Compact, Mid size, Entry level Luxury, Full size, Mid Size luxury, Full Size luxury, Super cars etc The higher you go on the ladder, the more expensive, bigger in size, heavier in weight, bigger in engine size and therefore populated by AWD and RWD. Down the ladder is the FWD which is more affordable, economical, smaller and have the highest production and patronage.

Would you compare how many Toyota Corolla's to Mercedes Benz C-class on Nigerian roads? How many cars you listed among Porsche , jaguar, Bentley, Aston martin, Lamborghini, Mazarati, rolls Royce do you see on the roads? Can you afford one? Do you think its just a coincidence that only the rich buy these cars? What does it mean to an average Nigerian to say RWD is the best car to buy but he cannot afford it or maintain it? Isnt that the basis of the main post? The fact that something isnt affordable means it cannot be the best like the OP said.

Your point in bold is wrong and misconceived. Big companies with strong history and automobile heritage like you said dont make RWD for just no reason, they make them because they make large sized cars with big engines. Your example of Mercedes Benz A class makes a good case of a compact car but with FWD. Was Mercedes Benz bankrupt to have made a FWD?

If you wish to call other car manufacturers other than those you like soulless, fine, its your business. Know this, that those soulless cars are the real ones that serve majority of people across the globe and Nigeria inclusive.

Lastly, your last line contains yet another set of misconceptions. No 1, Lexus is not a European brand but American. No 2, There are no RWD Lexus or Acura but FWD and AWD. Nissan has RWD only on its Pick up truck lines which is a general feature in those lines.

You dont seem to know why manufacturers use FWD, RWD or AWD. Read my friend, read on.

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Front-wheel Drive Sucks And Why Rear-wheel Drive Is best by adanny01(m): 10:47am On May 26, 2015
lezz:

what you said is not only laughable it is both by physics and engineering laws impossible.

FWD and handling do not go hand in hand; they don't ever mix. A FWD can even keep a straight line under full acceleration and you are talking about handling in top speed. hmn.

I wonder if you know what engineering is.

It is a fact in engineering that FWD have more traction but only lose it due to hard acceleration as a result of transfer of weight to the rear. This advantage makes RWD better on a race where 0-60secs is a determining factor. On very slippery surfaces, there is very little transfer of weight, the FWD will have better traction than RWD which means the FWD stands a better chance. On a race track on a rainy day FWD will catch up or do even better than RWD since acceleration will be lower due to the loss of traction by the wet road surface.

On handling, FWD suffers from understeer which is easily corrected by slowing down and easy from natural instinct while the RWD suffers from oversteer but in this case can be corrected by driver's skill and experience without necessarily losing speed. Therefore, FWD is only easier to handle because the average driver could control understeer while skill is required to correct oversteer correction of RWD. Also there RWD cars are heavier than FWD have more even distribution so it handles better. On the race track, the RWD will be better because as a professional, you dont need to lose speed to correct oversteer unless its out of proportion.

Let me point out to you that you are not a race driver but just a racing enthusiast. The limit with which you can handle your RWD unprofessionally can be beaten by most FWD of same class.

Watch more top gear episodes.

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Front-wheel Drive Sucks And Why Rear-wheel Drive Is best by lezz(m): 11:10am On May 26, 2015
adanny01:

How did that first line of yours sound in your mind as you read it to yourself. First to fourth generation Toyota Corolla were all RWD, so Toyota went bankrupt thats why they changed to FWD from the fifth generation abi?

Do you know what car classification is? Every car falls in a certain classification starting from Micro car through, Sub compact, Compact, Mid size, Entry level Luxury, Full size, Mid Size luxury, Full Size luxury, Super cars etc The higher you go on the ladder, the more expensive, bigger in size, heavier in weight, bigger in engine size and therefore populated by AWD and RWD. Down the ladder is the FWD which is more affordable, economical, smaller and have the highest production and patronage.

Would you compare how many Toyota Corolla's to Mercedes Benz C-class on Nigerian roads? How many cars you listed among Porsche , jaguar, Bentley, Aston martin, Lamborghini, Mazarati, rolls Royce do you see on the roads? Can you afford one? Do you think its just a coincidence that only the rich buy these cars? What does it mean to an average Nigerian to say RWD is the best car to buy but he cannot afford it or maintain it? Isnt that the basis of the main post? The fact that something isnt affordable means it cannot be the best like the OP said.

Your point in bold is wrong and misconceived. Big companies with strong history and automobile heritage like you said dont make RWD for just no reason, they make them because they make large sized cars with big engines. Your example of Mercedes Benz A class makes a good case of a compact car but with FWD. Was Mercedes Benz bankrupt to have made a FWD?

If you wish to call other car manufacturers other than those you like soulless, fine, its your business. Know this, that those soulless cars are the real ones that serve majority of people across the globe and Nigeria inclusive.

Lastly, your last line contains yet another set of misconceptions. No 1, Lexus is not a European brand but American. No 2, There are no RWD Lexus or Acura but FWD and AWD. Nissan has RWD only on its Pick up truck lines which is a general feature in those lines.

You dont seem to know why manufacturers use FWD, RWD or AWD. Read my friend, read on.
i really do not know where to begin with you. first it seems you read my post upside down. and you are also forcing words into my keyboard.

first Peugeot made only rear wheel drive and they were bankrupt, in order to survive they adopted the fwd , cheap and easy to produce. it is your turn to read peougeot history.

Toyota Avalon, Camry and Honda EODs are bigger than Mercedes C class and BMW 3 series in size but they are all FWD . How's that for your size theory. i will also like to point you to the fact that some Asian SUV are even FWD!!!

AND YES, FWD are cheap, more mass product for those who are just interested in the traditional use of vehicles as means of conveyance. NO MORE.

AND NO , the title of this thread is why FWD sucks. the poster i quoted was painting a slightly different picture. MERCEDES A CLASS is Renault with a mercedes badge.

Yes FWD e.g toyota and co will continue to serve the vast majority like tecno and Infinix: affordability over substance.

and i never infer that Lexus is European, only was drawing a comparison to European cars.

LEXUS is Japanese toyota's struggling attempt to meet up with Europe's heavy weights. it is based and debuted in america.

Who said Lexus,.Nissan and accura do not have RWD in an attempt to meet up. The nissan gtr, nissmo and etc have RWD as do some lexus.

3 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Front-wheel Drive Sucks And Why Rear-wheel Drive Is best by lezz(m): 12:23pm On May 26, 2015
adanny01:

Nullified by what exactly? Do you have an opinion i have not seen?

It is my opinion, my post says so, did you read?

I have lived in the SS for years and have passed SE always. I work in the Niger Delta region mainly going off roads doing construction. I have seen roads you have never seen with your eyes. I used a 4x4 SUV and have gotten stuck uncountable times. My colleagues with cars such as Toyota prado, Toyota Hilux, Toyota Tacoma, Toyota Highlander, Nissan Frontier, Ford Ranger, even a farm tractor and a JCB all got stuck at one point or the other. You dare not take anything less than a 4x4 into those terrain. A Nissan frontier lost its front drive shaft CV joint in site one time and its RWD couldnt get it out for a week. That instance i knew RWD is a great disappointment because the FWD Toyota highlander got out succesfully. That Highlander impressed me.

Have you passed Umuahia-Ikot ekpene rd or Aba- Ik rd in the mid rainy season. Have you experienced when the rd will close for days leaving you to find bypass in villages off road. I have. Do you know which cars cause hold ups on those bypass? Mostly, buses because they have RWD. In general, all the vehiles that find it difficult on the rd are RWD including the articulated trucks that causes the problem since they are mostly RWD.

On slippery roads, FWD does better than RWD
On economy, FWD does better than RWD
On race tracks, RWD does better FWD

Have you ever seen a race track? Do you have a race car?

If you like RWD just say you like it, dont join the op in saying RWD is the best because it isnt.

If you can make list of all passenger cars you know, how many are RWD drive and what category are they? When next you want to disagree give you own opinion but it seems you have non other than to simply disagree with no reasons to back it up.
you have said nothing new to this thread.

the op and some of us rwd fans have acknowledged the edge of fwd in slippery conditions etc.

but that's about it. it is a worthy trade off for me.

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Front-wheel Drive Sucks And Why Rear-wheel Drive Is best by adanny01(m): 12:27pm On May 26, 2015
lezz:
i really do not know where to begin with you. first it seems you read my post upside down. and you are also forcing words into my keyboard.

first Peugeot made only rear wheel drive and they were bankrupt, in order to survive they adopted the fwd , cheap and easy to produce. it is your turn to read peougeot history.

Toyota Avalon, Camry and Honda EODs are bigger than Mercedes C class and BMW 3 series in size but they are all FWD . How's that for your size theory. i will also like to point you to the fact that some Asian SUV are even FWD!!!

AND YES, FWD are cheap, more mass product for those who are just interested in the traditional use of vehicles as means of conveyance. NO MORE.

AND NO , the title of this thread is why FWD sucks. the poster i quoted was painting a slightly different picture. MERCEDES A CLASS is Renault with a mercedes badge.

Yes FWD e.g toyota and co will continue to serve the vast majority like tecno and Infinix: affordability over substance.

and i never infer that Lexus is European, only was drawing a comparison to European cars.

LEXUS is Japanese toyota's struggling attempt to meet up with Europe's heavy weights. it is based and debuted in america.

Who said Lexus,.Nissan and accura do not have RWD in an attempt to meet up. The nissan gtr, nissmo and etc have RWD as do some lexus.

What i am telling you is that Peugeot didnt change to FWD because of bankruptcy or cheaper production, they did because the market and technological trend demanded they do. FWD 406 was already in the French market before they started assembly of 406 in Nigeria. You are misplacing reasons. The reason they changed was because FWD is efficient.

Did you remember the classification lesson i gave you its time to use it. The MB C class is a line of compact executive while Honda accord toyota Camry is a line of Mid size while Avalon is a Full size car. Recent models upgrade as in the case of Accord and camry to full size. So that is the basis of comparison at any point. C class is not in the same class with all these cars so you cant compare, their physical size has no effect in comparison. The S of the SUV is sport so that should tell you which class those cars belong and why they need RWD which most Asian manufactures skip to AWD.

Wrong

Rephrase
LEXUS is Japanese toyota's struggling attempt to meet up with America's heavy weights.

Tell me which Lexus or Acura has a RWD set up. None. Nada. Zero. They are all FWD or AWD. Nissan GTR is AWD.

I need to find a weekend class room for you. I am tired tutoring you and my boss is wondering what i am doing typing on my PC and cant face my assigned work duties.
Re: Reasons Why Front-wheel Drive Sucks And Why Rear-wheel Drive Is best by adanny01(m): 12:36pm On May 26, 2015
lezz:
you have said nothing new to this thread.

the op and some of us rwd fans have acknowledged the edge of fwd in slippery conditions etc.

but that's about it. it is a worthy trade off for me.

Have i not acknowledge the edge of RWD on the racing track? These are basic facts.

The op saying RWD is the best is my bone of contention because that cannot be generalized.
Re: Reasons Why Front-wheel Drive Sucks And Why Rear-wheel Drive Is best by lezz(m): 1:07pm On May 26, 2015
adanny01:

Have i not acknowledge the edge of RWD on the racing track? These are basic facts.

The op saying RWD is the best is my bone of contention because that cannot be generalized.
everything has its prons and cons as do FWD and RWD. and when everything is added up, it is AWD and RWD topping FWD . that's the reason the luxury brands and performance model opt for it.

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Front-wheel Drive Sucks And Why Rear-wheel Drive Is best by lezz(m): 2:36pm On May 26, 2015
adanny01:

What i am telling you is that Peugeot didnt change to FWD because of bankruptcy or cheaper production, they did because the market and technological trend demanded they do. FWD 406 was already in the French market before they started assembly of 406 in Nigeria. You are misplacing reasons. The reason they changed was because FWD is efficient.

Did you remember the classification lesson i gave you its time to use it. The MB C class is a line of compact executive while Honda accord toyota Camry is a line of Mid size while Avalon is a Full size car. Recent models upgrade as in the case of Accord and camry to full size. So that is the basis of comparison at any point. C class is not in the same class with all these cars so you cant compare, their physical size has no effect in comparison. The S of the SUV is sport so that should tell you which class those cars belong and why they need RWD which most Asian manufactures skip to AWD.

Wrong

Rephrase

Tell me which Lexus or Acura has a RWD set up. None. Nada. Zero. They are all FWD or AWD. Nissan GTR is AWD.

I need to find a weekend class room for you. I am tired tutoring you and my boss is wondering what i am doing typing on my PC and cant face my assigned work duties.
The Nissan gtr nismo g3 racer is a RWD. Lexus ls 250 is RWD. Accura S2000 is also rear wheel drive . Infinity M.and J30 series are also rear wheel drive.

Tried as i have, i cannot fathom from whence cometh thy arrogance.

you don't seem like a worker !!! i can smell your IT ass slogging it off in your place of assignment.

only students with self esteem crisis come as needy as you do. and dont try and teach with sentiments or to show false knowledge in things you haven't finished understanding.

since you have managed to betray your preadolescence on a faceless forum, i shall not be engaging you further.

you have lost your debate credibility!!!! Bye.

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Front-wheel Drive Sucks And Why Rear-wheel Drive Is best by lezz(m): 2:54pm On May 26, 2015
adanny01:

I wonder if you know what engineering is.

It is a fact in engineering that FWD have more traction but only lose it due to hard acceleration as a result of transfer of weight to the rear. This advantage makes RWD better on a race where 0-60secs is a determining factor. On very slippery surfaces, there is very little transfer of weight, the FWD will have better traction than RWD which means the FWD stands a better chance. On a race track on a rainy day FWD will catch up or do even better than RWD since acceleration will be lower due to the loss of traction by the wet road surface.

On handling, FWD suffers from understeer which is easily corrected by slowing down and easy from natural instinct while the RWD suffers from oversteer but in this case can be corrected by driver's skill and experience without necessarily losing speed. Therefore, FWD is only easier to handle because the average driver could control understeer while skill is required to correct oversteer correction of RWD. Also there RWD cars are heavier than FWD have more even distribution so it handles better. On the race track, the RWD will be better because as a professional, you dont need to lose speed to correct oversteer unless its out of proportion.

Let me point out to you that you are not a race driver but just a racing enthusiast. The limit with which you can handle your RWD unprofessionally can be beaten by most FWD of same class.

Watch more top gear episodes.
for the last time stop confusing yourself.

You just said fwd will slow to take a curve to avoid loss of control while the rwd will not necessarily slow down but can use the driver's skill to negotiate bends.

then say no more; you have answered your own question.

my student days vboot will out run a 2004 Honda in a curve. fact fact fact !!!

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Front-wheel Drive Sucks And Why Rear-wheel Drive Is best by adanny01(m): 4:32pm On May 26, 2015
lezz:
The Nissan gtr nismo g3 racer is a RWD. Lexus ls 250 is RWD. Accura S2000 is also rear wheel drive . Infinity M.and J30 series are also rear wheel drive.

Tried as i have, i cannot fathom from whence cometh thy arrogance.

you don't seem like a worker !!! i can smell your IT ass slogging it off in your place of assignment.
only students with self esteem crisis come as needy as you do. and dont try and teach with sentiments or to show false knowledge in things you haven't finished understanding.

since you have managed to betray your preadolescence on a faceless forum, i shall not be engaging you further.

you have lost your debate credibility!!!! Bye.

I didnt want to reply you again but i find myself wanting to correct you each time you post. For example, i cant find a car called Acura S2000 but Honda S2000. Acura NSX is obtainable. While their older models are RWD the new models are AWD. What car is Nismo g3 racer? Last time i checked Nismo is Nissans sport division. Nissan GT-R is currently an AWD. Lexus IS 250 has a buyer option for RWD or AWD. Why is every racing car an now an AWD?

Wait a minute are we now into racing cars or street cars? This is akin to shifting the goal post.

Come o, name the race car you own or have ever driven that you so much like RWD and would recommend all Nigerians buy it. Isnt that aim of the main post?

On your ramblings and IT stuff, you said the forum is faceless. I wont go down the mad lane with you saying things yli dont know about a faceless person. I may be so wrong and i wont be happy with myself. It seems you are comfortable even if you are wrong on who your father is? I see why i need to stop responding. undecided
Re: Reasons Why Front-wheel Drive Sucks And Why Rear-wheel Drive Is best by adanny01(m): 4:42pm On May 26, 2015
lezz:
for the last time stop confusing yourself.

You just said fwd will slow to take a curve to avoid loss of control while the rwd will not necessarily slow down but can use the driver's skill to negotiate bends.

then say no more; you have answered your own question.

my student days vboot will out run a 2004 Honda in a curve. fact fact fact !!!

In your dreams!
Re: Reasons Why Front-wheel Drive Sucks And Why Rear-wheel Drive Is best by lezz(m): 4:49pm On May 26, 2015
adanny01:

I didnt want to reply you again but i find myself wanting to correct you each time you post. For example, i cant find a car called Acura S2000 but Honda S2000. Acura NSX is obtainable. While their older models are RWD the new models are AWD. What car is Nismo g3 racer? Last time i checked Nismo is Nissans sport division. Nissan GT-R is currently an AWD. Lexus IS 250 has a buyer option for RWD or AWD. Why is every racing car an now an AWD?

Wait a minute are we now into racing cars or street cars? This is akin to shifting the goal post.

Come o, name the race car you own or have ever driven that you so much like RWD and would recommend all Nigerians buy it. Isnt that aim of the main post?

On your ramblings and IT stuff, you said the forum is faceless. I wont go down the mad lane with you saying things yli dont know about a faceless person. I may be so wrong and i wont be happy with myself. It seems you are comfortable even if you are wrong on who your father is? I see why i need to stop responding. undecided
see how fragile your ego is !!!!

lol, you have mentioned by father because i gave you jibe for jibe. you couldn't stand it. maybe you dont have or even know your own father.

of all the cars i mentioned only, the nissan nismo gtr g3 is a sports car.

do your research and dont be a lazy kid with fake internet knowledge.

3 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Front-wheel Drive Sucks And Why Rear-wheel Drive Is best by 9icetoo(m): 9:23pm On May 26, 2015
http://www.oldrallysport.on.ca/articles/Driving.html
http://www.speedhunters.com/2013/02/so-fwd-is-boring-huh/
Please read the links above and see for yourselves. For certain power applications, say below 300 horses, the FWD will trump the RWD setup. We are not discussing supercars here. We are talking about everyday cars that Okeke, Musa and Abeeb can own. Climb out of that your C230 benz and get behind the wheels of a recent civic. You will realize how nimble those cars are. Nissan GTR3 is an AWD with active and adaptive electronic stability control. When the original post was penned, most likely manufacturers weren't too keen on handling and all that but not so these days ( they were more interested in the bottom line and mpg). Times have changed. There have been improvements in fwd setups. Watch a bit of rally where handling is supremely displayed and see what front wheel drives do there. If after reading the first link and you do not still appreciate the FWD setup, then you are one of those people who believe a BMW can never somersault.

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Front-wheel Drive Sucks And Why Rear-wheel Drive Is best by Absoj(m): 10:21pm On May 26, 2015
adanny01:

Lexus has a RWD eg. IS250, GS 300. Abeg oo

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Front-wheel Drive Sucks And Why Rear-wheel Drive Is best by 9icetoo(m): 10:39pm On May 26, 2015
lezz:

FWD and handling do not go hand in hand; they don't ever mix. A FWD can't even keep a straight line under full acceleration and you are talking about handling in top speed. hmn.
A regular front wheel drive can keep a straight line under hard acceleration. This torque steer shit applies to only performance cars where a lot of power and torque is generated. Unless your suspension or alignment is fishy, i don't see why your 200 hp (if its up to that) sedan, can't keep a straight line under hard acceleration. I drive cars hard so i know. See my post above and understand why i said what i said earlier. My focus is on cars within a certain power and weight bracket. I am not talking about supercars here. Just regular cars which was what the original post was about. I bet that original post was penned by an American; the proud owners of some of the worst handling cars out there; who probably drove a FWD car the same way he drove a RWD car expecting the same results. They are not driven the same way. And FYI it is not engineering sacrilege[i][/i]. Watch rally videos of FWDS and broaden your knowledge. The videos prove it.
Re: Reasons Why Front-wheel Drive Sucks And Why Rear-wheel Drive Is best by Nobody: 5:02am On May 27, 2015
adanny01:

Wrong

Rephrase

I can categorically conclude that you know nothing about cars.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Life And Times Of An Infiniti G35 / Gold Customized 1982 Mercedes Benz Spotted In Kaduna (photos) / World Car Award 2018: Range Rover Velar Wins World Car Design Of The Year

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 186
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.