Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,659 members, 7,955,384 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 02:02 AM

The Inner Mind - A Short Poem And A Brief Commentary. - Poems For Review (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Poems For Review / The Inner Mind - A Short Poem And A Brief Commentary. (7522 Views)

Poem And Rhyme Lovers Over Here / Welcome O Ramadhan! - A Poem And A Breif Commentary By Laykorn / The World Has Gone - A Poem And A Brief Commentary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Inner Mind - A Short Poem And A Brief Commentary. by magneto(m): 7:39am On May 16, 2015
diddydiva:
you are right.

what baffles me tho is the struggle between obedience and rebellion.

rebellion is from the inner mind ,that's taken.

obedience is from where?

if its also from the inner mind , is the inner mind two or its fighting itself.

Obedience I believe, comes from the conscience - dat divine compass within us all dat constantly points to the truth we most often want to rebel against....but are powerless to ignore.
The inner mind is full of ability and ignorant pride, but d conscience is honest, humble and steadfast. Both need to work together for true greatness to be achieved!
Re: The Inner Mind - A Short Poem And A Brief Commentary. by Kanmyos(m): 7:54am On May 16, 2015
cool one.....love it
Re: The Inner Mind - A Short Poem And A Brief Commentary. by Nobody: 8:10am On May 16, 2015
diddydiva:
you are right.

what baffles me tho is the struggle between obedience and rebellion.

rebellion is from the inner mind ,that's taken.

obedience is from where?

if its also from the inner mind , is the inner mind two or its fighting itself.

Diddydiva, I've always had these questions disturbing me too, and I finally carved from my limited knowledge of things, my own answers to them.

No, I'm not ready to invest my precious time in any literature of psychological jargon. grin

My usage of the word 'inner' with the 'mind' in my title is significant in this belief. There is a difference between the mind and the inner mind. The mind is weak, sickly and powerless. It is the mind that makes us Christians because our parents are Christians, or atheists because our favourite scientist is atheist. The mind is the foundation; what we're made of. It is incurious, indifferent, unconcerned, uninterested and it is threatened by change.
As you had it employed, it is also the one that is concerned with 'obedience', generally.

On the other hand, the inner mind asks questions. It is inquisitive, speculative and always investigative. It's ways are what I tried to put into details in the above poem.

About the two minds fighting each other, I have made myself to believe that the mind and this inner mind share nothing expect names. They both have 'mind' in their names. They are complete opposites of each other.

To your question, now.

1. Obedience is from the mind.

As I have said, I'm not ready to invest my time in finding the correct answers - if these aren't - in the psychology that is written in books. smiley

Do you agree with my answers?
What do you think?
Re: The Inner Mind - A Short Poem And A Brief Commentary. by Nobody: 8:15am On May 16, 2015
joseph1832:
A nice poem laykorn. But I believe you're yet to understand how the mind works.

Hmmmm. Why do you think so, sir?
Re: The Inner Mind - A Short Poem And A Brief Commentary. by Nobody: 8:22am On May 16, 2015
AbuuUsaamah:
Good one bro.

My brother's poem makes the front page. Isn't it worth celebrating? Don't worry, Mummy and I will treat you to this when you're back.

I've always wondered anytime I see your posts whether you know my moniker or not. I think you asked once and I said 'lekan' without telling you the spelling. I've been busted; at last. sad

Do a critique of the poem brother, do it. angry sad

1 Like

Re: The Inner Mind - A Short Poem And A Brief Commentary. by michelz: 8:25am On May 16, 2015
Laykorn . I like the way you personified the concept of inner mind in this poem; it became alive in your poem; almost tangible. But again,it raises more questions as to what the inner mind really is. Is it the brain - the faculty of thinking and reasoning? Or is the soul,or the spirit? Is it the real man - as in, the true essence of man? Is there even anything like the inner mind? Well, questions we may or may never get answers to. Good poem,Bro. You chose your words carefully and it was an interesting read.
Re: The Inner Mind - A Short Poem And A Brief Commentary. by Nobody: 9:04am On May 16, 2015
michelz:
Laykorn . I like the way you personified the concept of inner mind in this poem; it became alive in your poem; almost tangible. But again,it raises more questions as to what the inner mind really is. Is it the brain - the faculty of thinking and reasoning? Or is the soul,or the spirit? Is it the real man - as in, the true essence of man? Is there even anything like the inner mind? Well, questions we may or may never get answers to. Good poem,Bro. You chose your words carefully and it was an interesting read.

Thank you, sir. The most that we can do is to try to study how it works. Never can we come to ubiquitously supported conventions when it comes to theories that try to unravel the vast ocean of mysteries that the being of the inner mind is drowned in - or so I think. smiley

I adore your use of punctuation, sir. What books have read on it?
Re: The Inner Mind - A Short Poem And A Brief Commentary. by tonyxxx(m): 9:12am On May 16, 2015
Nice one laykorn.... The mind is influenced & controlled by our five senses hence it is vulnerable,the inner mind on the other hand is aware of itself as a conscious & unique part of what u call GOD. If the world was a hologram,the inner mind sits behind the projector & is knowledgable of its workings,because it sees above the facade. The mind however,found itself alive in the hologram with a basic tool that enables it to experience,learn & grow. IF somehow the mind manages to develop a relationship with the inner mind,then rebellion is inevitable.

1 Like

Re: The Inner Mind - A Short Poem And A Brief Commentary. by Nobody: 9:13am On May 16, 2015
REMMEI:
Na poem.. all of them no go ever come book space for here.. awon alaraka!

Nicely penned Egbon!..

I still dey learn from you sha.

Na so, omo iya mi! grin

Hmmm Alaye, me still be leaner o, grin

1 Like

Re: The Inner Mind - A Short Poem And A Brief Commentary. by Nobody: 9:14am On May 16, 2015
Re: The Inner Mind - A Short Poem And A Brief Commentary. by Nobody: 9:14am On May 16, 2015
peppyluv02:
Wow! This is beautiful! Masterpiece!
Wish I can write like this.
Thumbs up op.
The inner mind is indeed rebellious,always at war with its keeper.........

Thank you. smiley
Re: The Inner Mind - A Short Poem And A Brief Commentary. by REMMEI(m): 10:15am On May 16, 2015
laykorn:

Na so, omo iya mi! grin

Hmmm Alaye, me still be leaner o, grin

iffa yea say you be learner..abegi!..you be my bawz for yea..smiley ori e wanbe bi oke olumo.
Re: The Inner Mind - A Short Poem And A Brief Commentary. by joseph1832(m): 11:13am On May 16, 2015
laykorn:

Hmmmm. Why do you think so, sir?
Can you read minds?.
Re: The Inner Mind - A Short Poem And A Brief Commentary. by fio(m): 12:25pm On May 16, 2015
So what inspired you to write about "inner mind" ?
Re: The Inner Mind - A Short Poem And A Brief Commentary. by Nobody: 2:33pm On May 16, 2015
joseph1832:
Can you read minds?.
We all read minds, sir.
Did you want to ask if I could read minds correctly?
Re: The Inner Mind - A Short Poem And A Brief Commentary. by joseph1832(m): 2:54pm On May 16, 2015
laykorn:

We all read minds, sir.

Did you want to ask if I could read minds correctly?
Kindly tell how we all read minds?.

Mind you, the mind is not a book to be open and read anyhow one feels.
Re: The Inner Mind - A Short Poem And A Brief Commentary. by Nobody: 3:15pm On May 16, 2015
joseph1832:
Kindly tell how we all read minds?.

Mind you, the mind is not a book to be open and read anyhow one feels.

I believe that all our assumptions about other people; especially when it comes to the things that trigger their actions, is a form of mind-reading too. We do this everyday.
Re: The Inner Mind - A Short Poem And A Brief Commentary. by joseph1832(m): 3:32pm On May 16, 2015
laykorn:

I believe that all our assumptions about other people; especially when it comes to the things that trigger their actions, is a form of mind-reading too. We do this everyday.
Okay. But you should know there is a fine line between guessing and knowing.

Mind bending is a delicate issue that few humans have mastered.
Re: The Inner Mind - A Short Poem And A Brief Commentary. by Nobody: 3:34pm On May 16, 2015
joseph1832:
Okay. But you should know there is a fine line between guessing and knowing.

Mind bending is a delicate issue that few humans have mastered.

Yes, but both are mind-reading; still.

Do you know how to read minds correctly?
Re: The Inner Mind - A Short Poem And A Brief Commentary. by Nobody: 3:35pm On May 16, 2015
fio:
So what inspired you to write about "inner mind" ?

Actually, I don't know. sad
Re: The Inner Mind - A Short Poem And A Brief Commentary. by joseph1832(m): 5:59pm On May 16, 2015
laykorn:

Yes, but both are mind-reading; still.

Do you know how to read minds correctly?
Do I look like Professor Xavier?.
Re: The Inner Mind - A Short Poem And A Brief Commentary. by Nobody: 6:41pm On May 16, 2015
laykorn:

Diddydiva, I've always had these questions disturbing me too, and I finally carved from my limited knowledge of things, my own answers to them.

No, I'm not ready to invest my precious time in any literature of psychological jargon. grin

My usage of the word 'inner' with the 'mind' in my title is significant in this belief. There is a difference between the mind and the inner mind. The mind is weak, sickly and powerless. It is the mind that makes us Christians because our parents are Christians, or atheists because our favourite scientist is atheist. The mind is the foundation; what we're made of. It is incurious, indifferent, unconcerned, uninterested and it is threatened by change.
As you had it employed, it is also the one that is concerned with 'obedience', generally.

On the other hand, the inner mind asks questions. It is inquisitive, speculative and always investigative. It's ways are what I tried to put into details in the above poem.

About the two minds fighting each other, I have made myself to believe that the mind and this inner mind share nothing expect names. They both have 'mind' in their names. They are complete opposites of each other.

To your question, now.

1. Obedience is from the mind.

As I have said, I'm not ready to invest my time in finding the correct answers - if these aren't - in the psychology that is written in books. smiley

Do you agree with my answers?
What do you think?
I get it now.

thanks.

still have a question tho tongue
Re: The Inner Mind - A Short Poem And A Brief Commentary. by Nobody: 6:48pm On May 16, 2015
magneto:

Obedience I believe, comes from the conscience - dat divine compass within us all dat constantly points to the truth we most often want to rebel against....but are powerless to ignore.
The inner mind is full of ability and ignorant pride, but d conscience is honest, humble and steadfast. Both need to work together for true greatness to be achieved!
hmmmmm.

you are right smiley

thanks.
Re: The Inner Mind - A Short Poem And A Brief Commentary. by Nobody: 7:21pm On May 16, 2015
diddydiva:
I get it now.
thanks.

still have a question tho tongue
What's that? smiley
Re: The Inner Mind - A Short Poem And A Brief Commentary. by Nobody: 7:31pm On May 16, 2015
laykorn:

What's that? smiley
how is it that the mind conquers the inner mind.?

because to me it is weaker than inner mind.
Re: The Inner Mind - A Short Poem And A Brief Commentary. by Nobody: 7:51pm On May 16, 2015
diddydiva:
how is it that the mind conquers the inner mind.?

because to me it is weaker than inner mind.

This is what I have made myself to believe:

- That they are not in any duel of some sort. I have made myself to imagine that they have embarked on different missions which are not in any way related to each other.

How can it be explained, then, that the inner minds of people - for example - who suddenly stopped to move with flows has not conquered their minds? Isn't it a contradiction?

No, it isn't. At that point in time when the inner mind seemed to conquer the mind, it didn't - really. Then, it just accomplished it's own mission; it just did what it was made to do.

Even if you don't find this explanation logical enough to be accepted, there is another way to it; that is by re-questioning your assumption.

Does the mind ever conquer the inner mind?

When the inner mind starts to do what it is made to do, and starts with a twirl and a twerk - as I made reference to in my poem, it can never be overpowered by anything - not even this mind.

This leads to another point. It is not everytime that the inner mind starts with it's twirl that it ends up a rebel. Take a look at this example:

- Someone was born a muslim and along the line the inner mind starts with it's twirl. It goes through all it's stages and the stage of the quest - the seeking - it eventually finds that Islam is the best for him.

Yes, the inner mind twirled, but did it rebel?
Re: The Inner Mind - A Short Poem And A Brief Commentary. by Tosyn007(m): 8:32pm On May 16, 2015
diddydiva:
hmmmmmm. this is so true.

nice one.

but. what can stop the inner mind from rebellion.

You're your inner mind, if you can tame your tongue, you can tame your mind. If you desire to not rebel and act on that desire, you'll definitely get it done.
Re: The Inner Mind - A Short Poem And A Brief Commentary. by Tosyn007(m): 8:41pm On May 16, 2015
laykorn:

- That they are not in any duel of some sort. I have made myself to imagine that they have embarked on different missions which are not in any way related to each other.

How can it be explained, then, that the inner minds of people - for example - who suddenly stopped to move with flows has not conquered their minds? Isn't it a contradiction?

No, it isn't. At that point in time when the inner mind seemed to conquer the mind, it didn't - really. Then, it just accomplished it's own mission; it just did what it was made to do.

Even if you don't find this explanation logical enough to be accepted, there is another way to it; that is by re-questioning your assumption.

When the inner mind starts to do what it is made to do, and starts with a twirl and a twerk - as I made reference to in my poem, it can never be overpowered by anything - not even this mind.

This leads to another point. It is not everytime that the inner mind starts with it's twirl that it ends up a rebel. Take a look at this example:

- Someone was born a muslim and along the line the inner mind starts with it's twirl. It goes through all it's stages and the stage of the quest - the seeking - it eventually finds that Islam is the best for him.

Every twirl and twerk the mind makes that is not controlled on time blossoms, its start little by little till it becomes a norm
Re: The Inner Mind - A Short Poem And A Brief Commentary. by magneto(m): 9:22pm On May 16, 2015
laykorn:

Laykorn would u say dat d inner mind is d same tin as d subconscious mind?? Cos I've always believed the subconscious mind to be more of an infinite database consisting of all our thots, impressions, emotions, and imaginations.....rather than this pulsating, self-aware, and ambitious life form u've made d inner mind out to be.
Re: The Inner Mind - A Short Poem And A Brief Commentary. by Nobody: 7:22am On Jun 19, 2015
magneto:

Laykorn would u say dat d inner mind is d same tin as d subconscious mind?? Cos I've always believed the subconscious mind to be more of an infinite database consisting of all our thots, impressions, emotions, and imaginations.....rather than this pulsating, self-aware, and ambitious life form u've made d inner mind out to be.

Hmmmm, our thoughts of the inner mind are quite different. I see it a soul, you see a hard disk. grin

What do you think?
Re: The Inner Mind - A Short Poem And A Brief Commentary. by magneto(m): 10:32am On Jun 19, 2015
laykorn:

Hmmmm, our thoughts of the inner mind are quite different. I see it a soul, you see a hard disk. grin

What do you think?

Lol, interesting analysis my broda...but on d contrary I'd say our thots are actually quite similar. No I do not see a 'hard disk' but a 'database'...calling it a hard disk kinda reduces it to some sort of hardware machine, but a database is more conceptual.

Now as for similarity of our thots, if u say d inner mind is d soul then I'll assume u see d 'outer mind' as d spirit (correct me if I'm wrong). I also see the subconscious mind (or inner mind) as the soul...but as the name implies it is not "fully" conscious but rather 'sub' conscious (underneath consciousness). It is ethereal in nature...it neither twerks, twirl, pulsate, nor rebel. That is d domain of the spirit or outer mind. The soul is constant and divine in nature, and consists of every single one of our impressions, memories, and emotions. It collects these impressions and locks them forever in some sort of limbo...awaiting some search actions from the outer mind (hence the expression "soul searching"wink.

Come to think of it, I believe the computer was originally modeled after the human mind. The processor being the brain, the RAM as the outer mind, and the hard disk as the subconscious mind...lol grin . Hmmm...anoda case of we thinking alike. What do u think?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nairaland Poetry Club: Valentine Duets / I AM. . . / Irawe (dry Leaves)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.