Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,593 members, 7,809,149 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:27 AM

Which Linux Desktop Do You Prefer? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Which Linux Desktop Do You Prefer? (695 Views)

Desktop View And Mobile View, Which Is Better For A Blog / Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? / Table Alignment Or Css Alignment Which Do You Prefer I Should Use? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Linux Desktop Do You Prefer? by dlux: 8:21pm On May 15, 2015
Currently carrying out a survey from a Nigerian perspective as to which Linux Desktop users love the most. For those not familiar with Linux, there is GNOME, GNOME-Classic (Fall-back mode), MATE, Unity (Ubuntu), KDE, XFCE, Cinnamon and more. Kindly visit http://gtbensmag.com to vote. Note you cant vote twice as our webserver will detect your IP address.
Re: Which Linux Desktop Do You Prefer? by Nobody: 12:57am On May 16, 2015
Seriously, when it comes to desktop computing on Linux, Ubuntu destro is clearly the leader. No contest. It's a different case on server environment though but it's always Ubuntu or nothing for me.

1 Like

Re: Which Linux Desktop Do You Prefer? by dlux: 9:04am On May 17, 2015
True. Very true. Unity offers the best Desktop experience but GNOME is tight too. Especially after tweeking. Am a Fedora/RedHat person. Fedora is raw & rugged either as server or Desktop
Re: Which Linux Desktop Do You Prefer? by Nobody: 11:40am On May 17, 2015
Fedora Redhat is great judging from the reviews I've seen online but they did not have a huge community backing like Ubuntu. CENTOS is just a no go area for me, hates it from the bottom of my heart. Don't know the reason for so much hype on CENTOS, maybe due to cpanel compatibility.
Re: Which Linux Desktop Do You Prefer? by dlux: 12:12pm On May 17, 2015
CENTOS is a free alternative to Red Hat. Fedora is short support as you have to upgrade every 6months. Techies love CENTOS cos its just a free RedHat in the Enterprise. I prefer Fedora to it though as it comes with newer packages & cutout technologies plus a bigger community. Ubuntu is lovely, but Fedora is for the core System admins. They do samething my brother. Linux is Linux but RedHat has more development going on. OpenShift Cloud, JBoss (java suite used by betting companies like Nairabet, 1960bet etc, KVM - Virtualization)
Re: Which Linux Desktop Do You Prefer? by kombo(m): 12:07pm On May 18, 2015
Linux Mint.... had issues with dual booting ubuntu sometime ago because of uefi wahala... bt mint did d magic... na so i glue o
Re: Which Linux Desktop Do You Prefer? by dlux: 8:21pm On May 18, 2015
My Brother Linux Mint is wonderful. Love it a lot. UEFI boot is just bullshit. Anyway, you have to disable it from Bios first or boot option. Am happy to see Linux lovers on this channel. Feel free guys to ask questions on Linux on http://gtbensmag.com click on forum to post questions or share your knowledge on Linux. Its open for everyone. Thanks guys. Free your PC with Linux
Re: Which Linux Desktop Do You Prefer? by Donbona8(m): 9:57am On May 19, 2015
Thank you very much for this post. I'm hoping you could help me with a Linux problem.
I installed the Kali Linux on Vmware. For proper usge of the OS in a virtual machine, this requires that I install Vmware tools and for me to install Vmware tools, I need to install linux headers first. So the problem here is: How do I install Linux headers?

These are the processes I underwent:
After installing, I opened Terminal with root access, I tried the updates using

Apt-get update

The update ended with error in GPG keyrings. I also tried upgrading [apt-get upgrade] but the data size was much that I couldn't download it. I also couldn't upgrade the distro [apt-get distro-upgrade].
When I tried installing Linux headers [apt-get install -y linux-headers-$(uname -r)]. My kernel is 3.14_Kali1-amd64.
My respositories [leafpad /etc/apt/sources.list] are very okay. They only include the regular and security respositories on Kali linux site. I use Kali Linux 1.0.9. How do I update without GPG keyring error? How do I install Kali Linux Headers? How do I install. Vmware tools?
I'm a linux newbie and a fast and determined learner
Re: Which Linux Desktop Do You Prefer? by dlux: 11:11am On May 19, 2015
Donbona8:
Thank you very much for this post. I'm hoping you could help me with a Linux problem.
I installed the Kali Linux on Vmware. For proper usge of the OS in a virtual machine, this requires that I install Vmware tools and for me to install Vmware tools, I need to install linux headers first. So the problem here is: How do I install Linux headers?

These are the processes I underwent:
After installing, I opened Terminal with root access, I tried the updates using

Apt-get update

The update ended with error in GPG keyrings. I also tried upgrading [apt-get upgrade] but the data size was much that I couldn't download it. I also couldn't upgrade the distro [apt-get distro-upgrade].
When I tried installing Linux headers [apt-get install -y linux-headers-$(uname -r)]. My kernel is 3.14_Kali1-amd64.
My respositories [leafpad /etc/apt/sources.list] are very okay. They only include the regular and security respositories on Kali linux site. I use Kali Linux 1.0.9. How do I update without GPG keyring error? How do I install Kali Linux Headers? How do I install. Vmware tools?
I'm a linux newbie and a fast and determined learner

Ok. I Will respond to this problem the best way i can but i believe your problem is adding the right repository for Kali Linux Headers. Apt by default is an Ubuntu Command line installer like 'Yum' in Fedora/RedHat/CentOS. Kali is for security & penetration testing. Apt needs to be directed to the right software base to update or install the apps needed. Also, i think you should try running KVM incase VMware keeps giving you issues. KVM is an open source Virtualization Suite from RedHat. Its free & powerful too. Please, kindly post this question to our blog http://gtbensmag.com go to forums and post. Its for Linux lovers in 9ja & Africa plus it will help others who have such problems. There are folks from Fedora & Ubuntu community who are ready to solve problems on the site.

1 Like

Re: Which Linux Desktop Do You Prefer? by Donbona8(m): 4:48pm On Jun 10, 2015
Thanks for your suggestions. I happened to solve the problem before getting back here and now I've dual-booted Kali with Windows 8.1 UEFI Bios.
I have this huge problem. It's huge cos One solution always leads to another problem. I happened to dualboot but I cannot perform [sudo apt-get update] due to internet problem. I need help as to how to install the MTN Modem software.
After making the file executable [chmod +x install.sh], when I try executing and installing the package, the error report is that I must have qt3 runtime library installed. I dont know how to connect my PC to internet on Kali. I'm only using the MTN BB10 cheat. I can't install the modem software, I can't install qt3 runtime library, I can't install OpenVPN, I can't use Wine, I can't use SimpleServer. My only source of internet is on Windows 8.1.
I need help from anyone who uses Linux.
Re: Which Linux Desktop Do You Prefer? by dlux: 9:55pm On Jun 10, 2015
Ok please post these problems on my blog. Will reply there i promise. Visit http://gtbensmag.com

(1) (Reply)

14 Great Things Bloggers,developers And Everyone Should Enjoy From Google Inc / How To Choose The Best Domain Name For Your Blog Or Website / Easily Add Floating Social Sharing Bar To Your Website/blog

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.