Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,652 members, 7,809,476 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:12 AM

Igbo Writing - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbo Writing (35897 Views)

Other Pre-colonial Igbo Writing Systems? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo Writing by odensibiri: 7:50pm On Aug 06, 2015
cheruv:

Ya..
But try and produce a Latin based one at least before the year runs out to enable peeps like us master the script faster kos as you know we're already exposed to Latin and the akagu letters are a bit cumbersome embarassed
Then try and look into the phenomena where one word has like more than 2 characters to it for eg
The word "na" has 3 variables in Igbo
1] ná
2] nà
3] nā
The thing am talking of is a situation where one of the variables eg >nà< has more than a character representing it.it presents something like a dilemma kos some peeps might be confused on which one is which.
Am still in the learning process and would offer criticisms needed for the betterment of the script while waiting for it to come out so that I can download for use on my phone and system smiley
Thanks alot

cheruv, the reason why I put the Ikpo Nisbidi in akagu is because you need to learn akagu first, since they are linked. Even if I put it in Latin, which I don't want to do because I'm not looking for people to be relaxed, you would still need akagu to write some terms, and again what happens when you learn nsibidi and forget one crucial character? I'm willing to wait for people to learn akagu.

On your second point, that is exactly a situation that nsibidi is there to help solve, every different verb has a different character (apart from more unique and obscure ones that don't have a character out of the 1400). Those there 'na' have their own unique characters.
Re: Igbo Writing by odensibiri: 7:51pm On Aug 06, 2015
Nsibiri/Akagu tutorial videos (in Igbo).

https://vimeo.com/135508044

https://vimeo.com/135596159

1 Like

Re: Igbo Writing by odensibiri: 7:56pm On Aug 06, 2015
ChinenyeN:
I can see momentum for this picking up over the next few years. As at now, I'm aware of one media project that intends to make use of Nsibidi in the production of short films. Essentially Nsibidi will serve as the sole writing system in the fictional storylines. It's also very likely that the developers of the project will capitalize on the healthy vaccuum and the agglutinative nature of the language and script to coin new usages. This could easily be seen as an example of the vacuum problem resolving itself.

That's one of the advantages of the script.
Re: Igbo Writing by ChinenyeN(m): 12:33am On Aug 07, 2015
cheruv:
Which media house
Pls tell me so that I can wait for them..you don't know how happy I'm for this.smiley

I wouldn't even call them a media house. It's more like a collaborate effort by a handful of writers and artists. Who knows, though. Maybe the collaboration will become something official someday.

odensibiri:
That's one of the advantages of the script.

That's exactly how I see it.
Re: Igbo Writing by odensibiri: 11:41am On Aug 07, 2015
Re: Igbo Writing by odensibiri: 7:12pm On Aug 19, 2015
Re: Igbo Writing by odensibiri: 7:13pm On Aug 19, 2015

There's a group for discussing Igbo language on Google Plus, including discussion on new vocabulary and nsibiri use. It's to be a central place for 'standardising' Igbo. The requirement is that you speak [Engli-]Igbo at a conversational level. If you're interested or know anyone who is send a message. odensibiri@gmail.com.
Re: Igbo Writing by odensibiri: 11:41pm On Aug 19, 2015
Re: Igbo Writing by odensibiri: 4:19am On Aug 20, 2015
Re: Igbo Writing by Nobody: 1:04pm On Dec 31, 2020
im really liking this script thing, when i learn igbo ill try to learn Nsibidi along with it.

i also think Nsibidi could be used as a unity script across nigeria used by multiple languages, allowing an hausa man to write in nsibidi and a yoruba man would be able to understand without even knowing hausa.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The Longest Nigerian Name You've Heard / Ijebu: Jebusites? What A Myth! / Oluwo Of Iwo, Akanbi, Wears Igwe Attire (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.