Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,433 members, 7,861,206 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 06:58 AM

Awolowo's Letter Of Resignation To Yakubu Gowon. - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Awolowo's Letter Of Resignation To Yakubu Gowon. (8050 Views)

Open Letter Of Resignation To Ojukwu By Robert S. Goldstein 1968 / "Open Letter Of Resignation To Odumegwu Ojukwu / See Why Buhari Took The Indefinite Leave Option Instead Of Resignation. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Awolowo's Letter Of Resignation To Yakubu Gowon. by Nobody: 5:36pm On May 16, 2015
Ojukwu would rank easily and unquestionably among Nigeria's greatest liars and cowards.

2 Likes

Re: Awolowo's Letter Of Resignation To Yakubu Gowon. by Eshinwaju: 5:37pm On May 16, 2015
Yorubas always producing ........quality leaders...... cheesy...eboes always lying..... grin......claiming Awo hated dem..... cheesy....claiming ojukwu released him........claiming he committed suicide..... angry.....claiming janagoat as best ever president.......wanting to rule 9jeria but hating other tribes......wanting Biafra but at present running away from Biafra to Ogbomosho to sell gala.....claiming lagos .......claiming SS........claiming to have won the war??. .....claiming 1966 coup was to install Awo...... grin.eboes always lying....... grin...shameless evil twisters of history n facts..... angry......a sick set of people...... grin

2 Likes

Re: Awolowo's Letter Of Resignation To Yakubu Gowon. by Ghost01(m): 5:41pm On May 16, 2015
Two fine pieces of art. Do our public office holders still write beauties like this?
Re: Awolowo's Letter Of Resignation To Yakubu Gowon. by Sunnybobo3(m): 5:44pm On May 16, 2015
nerodenero:
This practice has always been done and yet our present leaders have refused to make public their assets. We really need change.

Did Awolowo make his' public?
Re: Awolowo's Letter Of Resignation To Yakubu Gowon. by Nobody: 5:45pm On May 16, 2015
tit:
Verbose.
he must have spent 2 weeks drafting this letter.
i guess they did not have any better things to do in those olden days.

1) who is ibrahim (referred to in gowon's letter?)
2) who was awo's successor as commissioner of finance?

Verbose? He wrote it with his mind on history. He knew the letter would soon find its way into publications.

1 Like

Re: Awolowo's Letter Of Resignation To Yakubu Gowon. by ketiy77: 5:47pm On May 16, 2015
[size=28pt]Awolowo chatham house scam lead to the creation of Eastern Nigeria. form name southern Nigeria.

So the igbo assume that since it was created that it was a valid country like the country of Western Nigeria. So they tried to break away, insulting everybody they find at the time. But it was an illegal creation. [/size]

Re: Awolowo's Letter Of Resignation To Yakubu Gowon. by ketiy77: 5:48pm On May 16, 2015
embarassed
Re: Awolowo's Letter Of Resignation To Yakubu Gowon. by vega84(m): 6:05pm On May 16, 2015
He didn't release u frm prison u back stabbing Di..ck head! #vegatalks
Re: Awolowo's Letter Of Resignation To Yakubu Gowon. by vega84(m): 6:08pm On May 16, 2015
ketiy77:
[size=28pt]Awolowo chatham house scam lead to the creation of Eastern Nigeria. form name southern Nigeria.

So the igbo assume that since it was created that it was a valid country like the country of Western Nigeria. So they tried to break away, insulting everybody they find at the time. But it was an illegal creation. [/size]
,hope u knw wat u are sayi
Re: Awolowo's Letter Of Resignation To Yakubu Gowon. by vega84(m): 6:11pm On May 16, 2015
Eshinwaju:
Yorubas always producing ........quality leaders...... cheesy...eboes always lying..... grin......claiming Awo hated dem..... cheesy....claiming ojukwu released him........claiming he committed suicide..... angry.....claiming janagoat as best ever president.......wanting to rule 9jeria but hating other tribes......wanting Biafra but at present running away from Biafra to Ogbomosho to sell gala.....claiming lagos .......claiming SS........claiming to have won the war??. .....claiming 1966 coup was to install Awo...... grin.eboes always lying....... grin...shameless evil twisters of history n facts..... angry......a sick set of people...... grin
.thunder fire ur anus fr typing rubbish here, Awo hated the ibos take it or leave it! Nonsense! Na ur father sick sick zombie #vegatalks

1 Like

Re: Awolowo's Letter Of Resignation To Yakubu Gowon. by OreMI22: 6:26pm On May 16, 2015
Volksfuhrer:

The leaders we had then were midgets!

1 Like

Re: Awolowo's Letter Of Resignation To Yakubu Gowon. by Eshinwaju: 7:21pm On May 16, 2015
vega84:
.thunder fire ur anus fr typing rubbish here, Awo hated the ibos take it or leave it! Nonsense! Na ur father sick sick zombie #vegatalks

So what if he hates u eboes Everybody hates u anyway.... grin...South Africans, other 9jerians, Thais, Indonesians etc.....the question is why r u so hated

2 Likes

Re: Awolowo's Letter Of Resignation To Yakubu Gowon. by akoaki(m): 7:43pm On May 16, 2015
Ghost01:
Two fine pieces of art. Do our public office holders still write beauties like this?

For where ? Corruption, greed ,selfishness and hate would never allow them to conceive such beautiful ideas talkless of putting it on paper.

3 Likes

Re: Awolowo's Letter Of Resignation To Yakubu Gowon. by nduchucks: 8:45pm On May 16, 2015
ProfCorruption:

nduchucks where are you? Awolowo thanked Ojukwu for releasing him from prison. grin grin grin

First of all, how bodi na? Long time, hope all is well with you, if so, doxology.

err, that "thank you" by Awolowo, if true, get as e be o. Is this not the same Awolowo who orchestrated the strategy of blockage which caused the death of hundreds of thousands of our people? Granted Awo expected that Ojukwu would surrender shortly after the blockade. Since Ojukwu refused to surrender, Awo did not see it fit to call the blockade off, making him partially responsible for starving women and children.

The great Ikemba, who has my utmost admiration, even as we speak, let me down by refusing to surrender even after it was obvious that there was no way out. If he had fought to the finish, he would have been my number one hero, but what did he do? He eventually fled. embarassed

Awo fell my hand since the time we read that he fought Akintola, tooth and nail, for building a coalition much like Tinubu has done - but thats a story for another day.
Re: Awolowo's Letter Of Resignation To Yakubu Gowon. by vega84(m): 9:56pm On May 16, 2015
Eshinwaju:

So what if he hates u eboes Everybody hates u anyway.... grin...South Africans, other 9jerians, Thais, Indonesians etc.....the question is why r u so hated
, it is called jealously that's the name of human beings they might hate cos we are success,every stones we. Touch turn 2 gold. If the SAs,thais,etcs hates us then I dnt hav a problem wit that, my pro is wit amala eaten zombies hating and forming one naija @ the same time. Bck stabbing weak motherfuckers. #vegatalks
Re: Awolowo's Letter Of Resignation To Yakubu Gowon. by vega84(m): 9:57pm On May 16, 2015
vega84:
, it is called jealously that's the nature of human beings they might hate cos we are success,every stones we Touch turn 2 gold. If the SAs,thais,etcs hates us then I dnt hav a problem wit that, my pro is wit amala eaten zombies hating and forming one naija @ the same time. Bck stabbing weak motherfuckers. #vegatalks
Re: Awolowo's Letter Of Resignation To Yakubu Gowon. by fr3do(m): 2:35am On May 17, 2015
realborn:
Wow. Astute and well written letters. Devoid of hate and incitement. If leaders were this educated 44 years ago, then Nigeria deserves to be way ahead of where it is right now!

Educated and devoid of hate, that they let hausa fulanis kill Nigerians in their ethnic cleansing.
These men were slow thinkers, if they were smart the country won't be here. There won't even be a country, we have such different belief systems and values, the ethnic nations are cancelling out their progress.
Re: Awolowo's Letter Of Resignation To Yakubu Gowon. by jorlons(m): 3:37am On May 17, 2015
Wow! I'm caught up in awe. See firsthand patriotism. Pls keep digging into the lives of these heroic leaders of old.

It's amazing to read that leaders of old were not scared of asset declaration esp at the end of their tenure in office.

Can we therefore say that rather than move forward we've constantly been taking steps backwards.

3 Likes

Re: Awolowo's Letter Of Resignation To Yakubu Gowon. by tonytony208(m): 7:18am On May 17, 2015
mrvitalis:
so the evil awo claimed to care about igbos and yet u took all our cash n gave us 20 ponds right?

awo hope u can see us now
(started from the bottom now we are here )

What cash are you talking about? You mean your cash that was as good as toilet paper?

3 Likes

Re: Awolowo's Letter Of Resignation To Yakubu Gowon. by tonytony208(m): 7:25am On May 17, 2015
FitnessNigeria:
Igbos are the only people keeping Nigeria one.

Once the igbos goes, Nigeria will die a natural death.

Then let the Igbo's go. Abi, what is keeping them again? Don't you already have a rented association apartment....... I mean embassy in obodoyibo? Arent you already invited to umunna meeting.....I mean UN meeting in July? Don't you already have radio station just like unilorin, FUTA, OAU, et al? Don't you already have the most "beautiful states" in Nigeria, like abia state?
Dont you already have world class gully erosions that can serve as tourist attraction? Dont you already have landlocked state that can promote further development? So, what is keeping you again? Just go.

3 Likes

Re: Awolowo's Letter Of Resignation To Yakubu Gowon. by tonytony208(m): 7:37am On May 17, 2015
funkybully:
Awo - frog

The most foolish man Nigeria ever

Coming from a flaaaathead OSU, this is understandable. however, you cant change the fact that you lost the war due to awo's ingenuity.
Re: Awolowo's Letter Of Resignation To Yakubu Gowon. by tonytony208(m): 7:40am On May 17, 2015
FitnessNigeria:

None of the above dares leave Nigeria. If they can survive on their own, they would have left Nigeria since.

That's why they always get angry when igbos talk of leaving Nigeria. na wetin fear of survival de cause

grin grin grin
Can Igbo's survive on their own too without Niger dwelta oyel? No.
Re: Awolowo's Letter Of Resignation To Yakubu Gowon. by disumusa: 7:59am On May 17, 2015
Mumu ibo so, gej does not take any economic decision without okonjo iweala
Re: Awolowo's Letter Of Resignation To Yakubu Gowon. by disumusa: 8:21am On May 17, 2015
Igbos are just carward and trators ,looking for mechanical defence for failed biafra, awolowa did this, gowon this that,buhari do this, but you red cap elders went to lie down for buhari, coward igbo, if you realy want to war and seced you dont surender withing one year, chek somalia,ruwanda,congo,iran,iran war for several years, ojuku is coward run away army.

2 Likes

Re: Awolowo's Letter Of Resignation To Yakubu Gowon. by pazienza(m): 8:30am On May 17, 2015
“Even at the federal level, I have no
desire whatsoever, and I certainly cannot
be tempted or induced to develop one, to
head, or participate in an unelected or
even an electoral-college elected civil
administration in a military or any setting.
At the moment, I am participating in the
activities of the military government
because I have been invited, and I also
think it is right, so to do.
I am, therefore, obliged, morally and for
the purpose of keeping Nigeria united, to
take part, as fully as I can, in any
measure designed, in particular, to keep
the Ibos as a constituent ethnic unit in
the federation of Nigeria, enjoying equal
and identical status and benefits with
other ethnic units, and in general, to
preserve Nigeria as an economic and
political entity.”

Was this really the main reason why they attacked Biafra? To live in the same country with the same very people they hate?

Awo can lie for Africa.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Awolowo's Letter Of Resignation To Yakubu Gowon. by disumusa: 9:29am On May 17, 2015
Why did ironsi coupiest killed tafawabalewa,sadauna,bello, akintola, all hausa and yoruba and told zik,ezogu e.t.c to went to hiden
Re: Awolowo's Letter Of Resignation To Yakubu Gowon. by FitnessNigeria: 11:44am On May 17, 2015
tonytony208:

Can Igbo's survive on their own too without Niger dwelta oyel? No.

Lol, mention the states that made up the naija delta.

I dey wait
Re: Awolowo's Letter Of Resignation To Yakubu Gowon. by CyberWolf: 12:05pm On May 17, 2015
Biafra4ever:
June 3, 1971.

My dear Commander-in-Chief,

You will recall that in a statement made by me and published in the SUNDAY TIMES of March 30, 1969, I declared, among other things, as follows:

“Even at the federal level, I have no desire whatsoever, and I certainly cannot be tempted or induced to develop one, to head, or participate in an unelected or even an electoral-college elected civil administration in a military or any setting. At the moment, I am participating in the activities of the military government because I have been invited, and I also think it is right, so to do.
I am, therefore, obliged, morally and for the purpose of keeping Nigeria united, to take part, as fully as I can, in any measure designed, in particular, to keep the Ibos as a constituent ethnic unit in the federation of Nigeria, enjoying equal and identical status and benefits with other ethnic units, and in general, to preserve Nigeria as an economic and political entity.”

I should have, in accordance with this declaration, relinquished my present offices soon after the end of the civil war in January last year. But one main matter decided me against such an immediate course of action. As you know, before January 1970, the four-year development and reconstruction plan had been under active preparation, and it had been hoped that it would be launched early in the 1970/71 fiscal year. It was my strong desire to participate in the consideration of this plan. As it turned out, however, the plan was not actually considered until August 1970.

By that time, three other factors had supervened. First, the capital estimates for 1970/71 had been delayed until the launching of the four-year development plan, which did not take place until November last year. At this late stage, I decided that the capital estimates of 1970/71 should be incorporated into those of 1971/72.

Second, by November 1970, the time for the introduction of the 1971/72 budget was only some four months away.

Third, as from September 1970, our foreign exchange position had started to undergo an unusual rapid deterioration. It occurred to me, in all these circumstances:

-that it would be untidy for me to leave without completing the budget for 1970/71;
-that it would be hardly fair to my successor for me to leave at a time when preparations for the 1970/71 budget had actively begun under my direction, and;
-that it might be interpreted in some circles as an act of bad faith for me to leave at a time when our foreign exchange was in such a bad state, and no sensible formula had been found for arresting its deterioration.

Now with the peace and unity of our great country fully restored and firmly re-established; with the four-year development plan already considered and launched and the capital estimates for 1970/71 completed; with the 1971/72 budget done and a reasonable solution devised for our acute foreign exchange, I feel free to act in accordance with one of my fundamental beliefs, referred to in paragraph 1 above, and publicly declared on March 10, 1969-EIGHTEEN CLEAR MONTHS before the military government’s political programme was announced by you on October 1, 1970.

I would, therefore, like to notify you that, with effect from July 1, 1971, I am no longer willing to continue in the offices of federal commissioner for Finance and vice-president of the Federal Executive Council.

Supplementary to the forgoing, there is another important reason for my present action. After four truly (I hesitate to say exceedingly) exacting (though thoroughly stimulating and educative) years in the Federal Ministry of Finance which, throughout the period, was incessantly beset with fiscal and monetary problems of unprecedented dimensions, and of peculiarly complex and tantalizing nature, I deem it to be in the interest of my continued good health to have a complete change of full-time occupation.

As to my future plan, I have decided to go back to legal practice. I also want to seize the opportunity, which the military government’s six-year political programme provides, to write, if my professional engagement permit, three books which have always been very much on my mind.
The research connected with two of these books will take me to selected developing countries in Asia, Africa, and Latin America, as well to ECA and OAU secretariats in Addis Ababa, the offices of some United Nations agencies in New York, and London University.

I would like to state that though, by this resignation, I am leaving your government and literary activities as mentioned above, it does not mean that I am completely relinquishing all public services to our country and people.

On the contrary, it is my resolve to continue, in all circumstances and until my life’s end, to see the best interests of our fatherland, and promote the welfare and happiness of our people, in every way possible.

In this connection, I would like to assure you that I shall always be willing, on a purely AD HOC basis and providing my professional commitments permit, to render, at your request and without any remuneration whatsoever, any particular service which is within my competence to give.

After my appointment in 1967, I submitted to you a STATEMENT OF AFFAIRS (i.e. OF MY ASSETS AND LIABILITIES) as at June30, 1967. In keeping with the code of conduct to which I subscribed, I am obliged to send you my statement of affairs as at June 30, 1971. It is, however, not possible to send the statement along with this letter. But my accountants are already working on it and as soon as it is finalized up to June 30, 1971, I shall forward it to you.

In closing, I would like, in all sincerity, to say two things:

Firstly, I have tremendously enjoyed working with you; and it is not without considerable reluctance, therefore, that I have to take this step.
Secondly, I will always remember with deep gratitude, your kindness to me in releasing me from prison, and in giving me, within a year of my release, an opportunity to serve our people of Nigeria once again in a ministerial capacity, and at a time when the very existence of our fatherland was in grave peril.

With best wishes to Victoria and your good self, and love to Ibrahim.

Yours very sincerely,
OBAFEMI AWOLOWO.
OP you are a very big liar...Where is your source? Oloshi Yoruba claiming Biafra ..why can't you be proud of yourself? Why do you like impersonating others? Only criminals does that unless you are a criminal angry

1 Like

Re: Awolowo's Letter Of Resignation To Yakubu Gowon. by agog: 12:18pm On May 17, 2015
Biafra4ever:
Gowon's reply:

My dear Chief,

I wish to acknowledge the receipt of your letter dated June3, 1971, intimating me of your decision to relinquish your appointments as the vice-president of the Federal Executive Council and Federal Commissioner for Finance with effect from July 1, 1971.

For some time, there have been rumours about your leaving the government, but I was sure, however, that if there was such an intention you would have not hesitated to notify me.

Since I know that you must have taken your decision after the most careful consideration, no useful purpose would be served by any attempt to make change your mind.

It is, therefore, with the greatest regret and reluctance that I have to concede to your request.
In accepting your decision, I would like to place on record my personal appreciation of your most valuable contribution to our achievements during the last four years.

You have earned for yourself respect from all of us who have seen you at close quarters, for your patriotism, coupled with a strong well-meaning conviction on issues of national importance.

I respect your maturity, objectivity, and sagacity, all of which you placed at my disposal; above all, for your advice and co-operation at all times.

Your outstanding performance as this government’s Commissioner for Finance during one of the most critical and turbulent periods of our history will always be remembered. You demonstrated, consistently, great courage, forthrightness, leadership, and a spirit of understanding which helped us to get out of our financial disaster.

That we did not succumb to the temptation to devalue our currency during the crisis and were able to win the war entirely out of our own resources and face resolutely the immediate post-war problems of rehabilitation, reconstruction and reconciliation was due, in no small measures, to your skill in the management of our finances.

I am aware that your position in this government, particularly as Commissioner for Finance, will be difficult to fill. However, I have a consolation in the fact that during your tenure of office, you laid a sound foundation on which your successors could build and carry on the good work.

I have no doubt that, at this moment, you will have the feeling that you have done your best. I share your feelings, too; and wish to extend my appreciation of the contribution of your dear wife who had had to bear more than her share of domestic burdens as a result of your public assignment.

I am glad to note and to accept your offer to hold yourself in readiness for assignment which the Federal Government may consider necessary to give you even when you will no longer be directly associated with public life.

Since there will be occasions soon for me and your colleagues in government to state our assessment of your contribution to the service of this nation in the last four years, I now merely wish to say how sorry I am to lose your services. We will miss your great sense of humour, your debating ability and useful suggestions at all times.

On behalf of myself, your colleagues on the Federal Executive Council, and the people of our great country, I wish you many more years of useful life.

My wife and Ibrahim join me in wishing you every success in your next sphere of life.

Yours most sincerely,
MAJOR-GENERAL YAKUBU GOWON
Head of the Federal Military Government.

this is soo touching.
Re: Awolowo's Letter Of Resignation To Yakubu Gowon. by tonytony208(m): 2:20pm On May 17, 2015
FitnessNigeria:

Lol, mention the states that made up the naija delta.

I dey wait

Mr, Niger deltans are not igbos. Don't tell me you don't know.
The map below should help you.

Re: Awolowo's Letter Of Resignation To Yakubu Gowon. by FitnessNigeria: 2:28pm On May 17, 2015
tonytony208:

Mr, Niger deltans are not igbos. Don't tell me you don't know.
The map below should help you.

I asked you a question, you don't have the answer instead to keep quiet you decided to make a fool of yourself.

I've gat no time for brainless peeps.

Enjoy your foolishness
Re: Awolowo's Letter Of Resignation To Yakubu Gowon. by BlackTechnology: 2:29pm On May 17, 2015
Biafra kwenu cool

" Nigeria is a mere geographical expression " Awolowo

Yet Awo the doubled tongue resisted disintegration when his dream opportunity arose

ONE SYMPTOM OF FOOLISHNESS IS

TO KNOW THE TRUTH AND STILL GO AGAINST THE TRUTH cool

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Complete List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Of Nigeria Where They Live / Meet Atiku Abubakar Body Guard, Not Known By To Many. / 40 Million Yorubas Get N14,560 Billion While River State Get N15,097billion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.