Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,196 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:31 AM

Can A Christian Become An Atheist ? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Can A Christian Become An Atheist ? (5496 Views)

Why A Christian Girl Converted To Islam (Photo) / Mark Zuckerberg Is Not An Atheist? / How Do I Tell People I Am An Atheist? Help! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can A Christian Become An Atheist ? by onetrack(m): 8:01pm On May 18, 2015
macof:

what then is the holy spirit for? God put that mechanism in place to coordinate the church didn't he?
the holy spirit hasn't made its voice clear enough. ..therefore it's a failed project like many other projects embarked on by Jehova

You have to admit that it is rambling, incoherent posts like the OP that makes the religion section interesting. There is soooo much BS to work with that we almost don't know even where to begin. grin grin

This is a period where no Christian should be without the holy spirit because his the only part of the God head
Lol. WTF Is someone off their meds?

3 Likes

Re: Can A Christian Become An Atheist ? by elantraceey(f): 10:49pm On May 18, 2015
herald9:
what's the function of the holy spirit then...is it not to coordinate?
His function is not to coordinate , his function is to teach, comfort and guide.
Re: Can A Christian Become An Atheist ? by elantraceey(f): 10:53pm On May 18, 2015
philfearon:

You just have a Christian mindset..That's all! Its simple psychology!
When u do something that is against what your mind has built into what you call "conscience" as right or wrong,it pricks you..
Another thing is,religion is location based..
Say u were burn in China,now would ya be here preaching Christianity?
I guess when u think u have sinned,u go into a room or stay wherever and imagine that a being somewhere is hearing you confess.With that in mind,you tell yourself that you have been forgiven.....Where u forgiven by that being or did u forgive urself believing that a being somewhere forgave you?
Simple Psychology!!

All you described doesn't talk about me, if I should make any mistake I simply go to the throne of grace and obtain mercy which is already in abundance.

1 Like

Re: Can A Christian Become An Atheist ? by johnydon22(m): 10:56pm On May 18, 2015
elantraceey:

His function is not to coordinate , his function is to teach, comfort and guide.

And his teachings led to 41,000sects and doctrines? . . . Thats another level of confusion on the spirit part if you ask me.. a single omnipotent spirit teaching would have culminated into one result judging from its power... the failing margin of this spirit was not even 2 or 10 but 41,000.... it makes you wonder, someone must be lying... its either the spirit is confused in his teaching that varies from sect to sect or their isn't any spirit teaching anybody anything but men following the egoistic ideologies they conceive..

4 Likes

Re: Can A Christian Become An Atheist ? by elantraceey(f): 10:57pm On May 18, 2015
onetrack:

This has never happened. Christians have been arguing among themselves since the death of Jesus about, well, just about everything. Coming together as one always has a nice sound to it, but I don't think Catholics and Protestants and Orthodox are going to unify without settling who is 'correct'. Good luck with that.

Na , the early church I know wasn't anything like that . You know that's actually the problem today, everyone thinks they are correct and their way is the best, nobody want to succumb to another to gain knowledge some are even too big for the holy spirit to teach but you know the bible have said there's going to be a time when there will be unity of faith and I believe it .
Re: Can A Christian Become An Atheist ? by elantraceey(f): 10:58pm On May 18, 2015
Re: Can A Christian Become An Atheist ? by johnydon22(m): 10:58pm On May 18, 2015
elantraceey:

All you described doesn't talk about me, if I should make any mistake I simply go to the throne of grace and obtain mercy which is already in abundance.

Uuuhm you steal a bicycle, you run to your room mumble some words and come out shouting you are forgiven?

Is this not a very fallacious hypocritic way of clearing yourself of the guilt from ur wrong doing?

4 Likes

Re: Can A Christian Become An Atheist ? by elantraceey(f): 10:58pm On May 18, 2015
philfearon:
Highest point of Fallacy.....Don't ya think?
Nope from my own point of view.
Re: Can A Christian Become An Atheist ? by elantraceey(f): 11:00pm On May 18, 2015
macof:

big lie. I think you need to learn the history of Christianity before yyou make such statements

Educate me please.
Re: Can A Christian Become An Atheist ? by johnydon22(m): 11:01pm On May 18, 2015
elantraceey:

Na , the early church I know wasn't anything like that . You know that's actually the problem today, everyone thinks they are correct and their way is the best, nobody want to succumb to another to gain knowledge some are even too big for the holy spirit to teach but you know the bible have said there's going to be a time when there will be unity of faith and I believe it .

Certainly am sure you know nothing about early Christianity… Am guessing the Arianism heresy that led to the council of nicea was in this present church...

2 Likes

Re: Can A Christian Become An Atheist ? by elantraceey(f): 11:04pm On May 18, 2015
johnydon22:

Hahahahahaha i see....The bolded is enough to see that elentaceey is really quite innocently naive about Christianity and the biblesmiley

You don't really know much about the bible, do you?wink

It depends on what I should know about the bible , Knowledge is good but not every knowledge is relevant .

1 Like

Re: Can A Christian Become An Atheist ? by elantraceey(f): 11:07pm On May 18, 2015
macof:

what then is the holy spirit for? God put that mechanism in place to coordinate the church didn't he?
the holy spirit hasn't made its voice clear enough. ..therefore it's a failed project like many other projects embarked on by Jehova

Nope his voice is clear enough , the problem is with people not hearing him.

Take a TV channel for example, if you don't tune in to their frequency will you be able to see an hear what they are showing ? Does it mean that because you can see or hear them then they are not functioning?

1 Like

Re: Can A Christian Become An Atheist ? by elantraceey(f): 11:11pm On May 18, 2015
johnydon22:

And his teachings led to 41,000sects and doctrines? . . . Thats another level of confusion on the spirit part if you ask me.. a single omnipotent spirit teaching would have culminated into one result judging from its power... the failing margin of this spirit was not even 2 or 10 but 41,000.... it makes you wonder, someone must be lying... its either the spirit is confused in his teaching that varies from sect to sect or their isn't any spirit teaching anybody anything but men following the egoistic ideologies they conceive..

When someone speaks people hear different and some don't even hear at all but when all of them are asked what they heard they have something to say.

Moreover this 41000 sects of yours you will agree with me that most of them are similar .
Re: Can A Christian Become An Atheist ? by johnydon22(m): 11:11pm On May 18, 2015
elantraceey:

It depends on what I should know about the bible , Knowledge is good but not every knowledge is relevant .

No it depends on knowing really what is... Making such naive statements shows you have no idea of what really is and how the new testament was written and i think this is really important and relevant... and beside Isn't the truth always meant to be said no matter what?

@bolded is a clear indication that you don't care what really is the truth, as long as it goes against your belief then you don't need it. . . isn't that a very hypocritic way to live for someone who claims to have the truth?

seems freddrich neitzsche was correct when he said People dont want to hear the truth cus they dont want their illusions destroyed

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can A Christian Become An Atheist ? by johnydon22(m): 11:13pm On May 18, 2015
elantraceey:

When someone speaks people hear different and some don't even hear at all but when all of them are asked what they heard they have something to say.

Moreover this 41000 sects of yours you will agree with me that most of them are similar .

Similar in what aspect please

That an all knowing and all powerful spirit taught a group of people something and it resulted to 41,000 different understanding and portrayal...

Its quite clear... Either the spirit is confused or their isnt any

2 Likes

Re: Can A Christian Become An Atheist ? by macof(m): 11:15pm On May 18, 2015
elantraceey:

Educate me please.

a thread will not even be enough to educate you on the early stages of Christianity and how the bible was compiled

try reading more. ... even read the bible iintelligently with a clear and sober mind nt like one of those who say read while being high on the holy spirit juice....it would revile a few

3 Likes

Re: Can A Christian Become An Atheist ? by elantraceey(f): 11:15pm On May 18, 2015
johnydon22:

Uuuhm you steal a bicycle, you run to your room mumble some words and come out shouting you are forgiven?

Is this not a very fallacious hypocritic way of clearing yourself of the guilt from ur wrong doing?

Why in the first place will I steal in the first place? By the way at this point in my spiritual life I don't make such mistakes the only mistake I make is stepping out of walking in God's love and the moment I realize it , I repent and step in back.

1 Like

Re: Can A Christian Become An Atheist ? by elantraceey(f): 11:17pm On May 18, 2015
johnydon22:

Certainly am sure you know nothing about early Christianity… Am guessing the Arianism heresy that led to the council of nicea was in this present church...

I said the one I know and the one I know is the one in the bible.

1 Like

Re: Can A Christian Become An Atheist ? by johnydon22(m): 11:22pm On May 18, 2015
elantraceey:

Why in the first place will I steal in the first place? By the way at this point in my spiritual life I don't make such mistakes the only mistake I make is stepping out of walking in God's love and the moment I realize it , I repent and step in back.

From your post i quoted i dont think we were taking the "not doing at all" assertion into consideration, so dont even throw it in...avoid cheap fallacies.. here was ur post
All you described doesn't talk about me, if I should make any mistake I
simply go to the throne of grace and obtain mercy which is already in
abundance.
so my question remains from this ur post .... So u do something wrong and u go into ur room, mumble some words and come out saying u are forgiven... Is that not a very fallacious way of clearing urself of guilt that comes with wrong doing?

3 Likes

Re: Can A Christian Become An Atheist ? by johnydon22(m): 11:24pm On May 18, 2015
elantraceey:

I said the one I know and the one I know is the one in the bible.

You see? its still so very obvious you are very innocently naive about early christianity...

Do you know about the first council, the council of Jerusalem? its in acts of apostles.. it was where they gathered to decide whether the gentiles were to observe the judaic laws or not...

2 Likes

Re: Can A Christian Become An Atheist ? by macof(m): 11:25pm On May 18, 2015
elantraceey:

Take a TV channel for example, if you don't tune in to their frequency will you be able to see an hear what they are showing ? Does it mean that because you can see or hear them then they are not functioning?

come on miss.. stop blaming the children for what is the parents fault

If I am to tune to a wrong frequency then I would receive a different channel or No chanel at all. ..such that I would know that I got the wrong thing (unless of course you want us to believe that the holy spirit comes with a fake, an imposter maybe)
but the 40000+ sects are comfortable with their doctrines Declaring it straight from the frequency of the holy spirit
so the holy spirit should check it's server cause 40000+ cannot tune to the wrong frequency and claim they got the holy spirit channel

2 Likes

Re: Can A Christian Become An Atheist ? by herald9: 11:26pm On May 18, 2015
elantraceey:

*strings my guitar*
emancipate yourself from mental slavery...none but ourselves can free our mind... (singing... grin)

1 Like

Re: Can A Christian Become An Atheist ? by Nobody: 1:00am On May 19, 2015
you guys should stop attacking elantracey, she wrote based on her knowledge.
Re: Can A Christian Become An Atheist ? by johnydon22(m): 1:36am On May 19, 2015
sportsmaster:
you guys should stop attacking elantracey, she wrote based on her knowledge.

Nobody is attacking anybody... what would be the essence of pouring out your knowledge if it cant be challenged...Of course when you utter words you must be ready to defend it and back it up ..

2 Likes

Re: Can A Christian Become An Atheist ? by Nobody: 2:06am On May 19, 2015
lemme address some things she got wrong
she(elantraceey) that "if you have not done any of these you are not a christian "..dont be so quick to drawing conclusions..
The fact that you have not done any of these does not take away the fact that you are a christian.
The very moment you recieved the GOSPEL you became the son of God
"And as many that received him he gave the power to become the SONS of GOD"
Open ur bible to Acts8..when philip preached at samaria,the people there seeing the signs and wonders he did,they believed and were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus,it was when the apostles at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had recieved the word,they send unto them Peter and John.By the laying of hands of the apostles the folks at samaria recieved the HOLY GHOST.
Even before the Apostles recieved the Holy Ghost(i.e before the day of pentecost).will you say they were not believers?..
Let me share my experience with you.

I am actively involved in EVANGELISM and DISCIPLESHIP,of all the people i have reached out to,
Some got saved and were filled with the Holy Ghost(i.e they spoke with tongues) the same day.
While some i had to do follow-up,i had to teach them what the scriptures says about tongues before I could get them filled with the holy Ghost.

Even myself,the day i got saved was not the day i was filled with the Holy Ghost,it took time.

For people to function with the 5 supernatural signs listed in mark16:15-19..they need to be taught.
You need to do follow-ups and teach people..
I'm not trying to insult you or say something bad abt you,"but one who is involved in evangelism and/or discipleship will not come here and spew "SOME" of the things you said"..

The first i time i prayed for the sick,the person did not get healed.
But as i began to mature spiritually,it now happens with EASE..
If you notice,the Peter in Acts 5-10 was much mature(stronger) spiritually than the one in Acts 2,3,4..
There something as called spiritual growth.

1 Like

Re: Can A Christian Become An Atheist ? by philfearon(m): 5:31am On May 19, 2015
elantraceey:

Nope from my own point of view.
Your point of view is not only too subjective, it is sentimental and lacks no merit whatsoever!
What you posted up there is "what you think!"........and it doesn't exceed that!

4 Likes

Re: Can A Christian Become An Atheist ? by philfearon(m): 5:34am On May 19, 2015
elantraceey:

Where is this throne of grace? Can it be touched and seen or is it as everything Christian, ethereal?

2 Likes

Re: Can A Christian Become An Atheist ? by philfearon(m): 5:42am On May 19, 2015
johnydon22:

Hahahahahaha i see....The bolded is enough to see that elentaceey is really quite innocently naive about Christianity and the biblesmiley

You don't really know much about the bible, do you?wink
She doesn't...its quite understandable though..

1 Like

Re: Can A Christian Become An Atheist ? by philfearon(m): 5:56am On May 19, 2015
sportsmaster:
lemme address some things she got wrong
she(elantraceey) that "if you have not done any of these you are not a christian "..dont be so quick to drawing conclusions..
The fact that you have not done any of these does not take away the fact that you are a christian.
The very moment you recieved the GOSPEL you became the son of God
"And as many that received him he gave the power to become the SONS of GOD"
Open ur bible to Acts8..when philip preached at samaria,the people there seeing the signs and wonders he did,they believed and were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus,it was when the apostles at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had recieved the word,they send unto them Peter and John.By the laying of hands of the apostles the folks at samaria recieved the HOLY GHOST.
Even before the Apostles recieved the Holy Ghost(i.e before the day of pentecost).will you say they were not believers?..
Let me share my experience with you.

I am actively involved in EVANGELISM and DISCIPLESHIP,of all the people i have reached out to,
Some got saved and were filled with the Holy Ghost(i.e they spoke with tongues) the same day.
While some i had to do follow-up,i had to teach them what the scriptures says about tongues before I could get them filled with the holy Ghost.

Even myself,the day i got saved was not the day i was filled with the Holy Ghost,it took time.

For people to function with the 5 supernatural signs listed in mark16:15-19..they need to be taught.
You need to do follow-ups and teach people..
I'm not trying to insult you or say something bad abt you,"but one who is involved in evangelism and/or discipleship will not come here and spew "SOME" of the things you said"..

The first i time i prayed for the sick,the person did not get healed.
But as i began to mature spiritually,it now happens with EASE..
If you notice,the Peter in Acts 5-10 was much mature(stronger) spiritually than the one in Acts 2,3,4..
There something as called spiritual growth.
You mean the spiritual sense enhancing that occurs after smoking weed?
Bro,you can lie oooo!
Which one is speaking in tongues Again? you mean that silly mumbling of meaningless words that even the utterer doesn't know what he is uttering?
You say they were filled with the holy spirit? How was this holy spirit? How did it come down? in what form? or Ur imagination cooked it up as usual and forced Ur new converts to believe they received the holy spirit?

2 Likes

Re: Can A Christian Become An Atheist ? by davien(m): 8:10am On May 19, 2015
Sportsmaster has anyone of a different dialect understood your "speaking in tongues"...
Re: Can A Christian Become An Atheist ? by Nobody: 8:12am On May 19, 2015
philfearon:

You mean the spiritual sense enhancing that occurs after smoking weed?
Bro,you can lie oooo!
Which one is speaking in tongues Again? you mean that silly mumbling of meaningless words that even the utterer doesn't know what he is uttering?
You say they were filled with the holy spirit? How was this holy spirit? How did it come down? in what form? or Ur imagination cooked it up as usual and forced Ur new converts to believe they received the holy spirit?
when you are ready to learn tell me.i will take u through the entire book of ACTS and you will see that "speaking with tongues" speaking with tongues is the most dominant SIGN that comes with the INFILLING of the HOLY spirit..

And i can school you on the subject of
TONGUES,INTEPRETATION OF TONGUES,PROPHESY.

P.S:- I aint boasting of anything,it's a just a privilege that i have because of the kind of teachings i am taught
Re: Can A Christian Become An Atheist ? by Nobody: 8:15am On May 19, 2015
davien:
Sportsmaster has anyone of a different dialect understood your "speaking in tongues"...

1cor14:2:-" if any man speaks in tongues,he speaks NOT UNTO MEN but UNTO GOD for NO MAN UNDERSTANDS HIM,howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries."

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Soyinka: Posers For An Atheist At 77 / Why I Can Never Be An Atheist. / Hell:a Bundle Of Lies.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.